Contemporary or Polynesian?

Both are great choices just depends on what appeals to your family. While the Polynesian is only 2 stops to Magic Kingdom, Contemporary is the next stop when RETURNING from the park which means you are closer to your hotel if tired after a day at the park.

The only reason to stay at CR, IMHO, is for walking access to MK. Otherwise, as a resort, Poly is nicer - better theme, better pool, fewer stops to MK via monorail plus a walking path to TTC to catch the monorail to EP. If you aren't planning on walking to MK, I would not stay at CR.
Unless the monorail is down like it was several mornings for our trip 2 weeks ago. It was a disaster to get to MK those mornings. Poly has been our favorite, but after last trip, we will probably switch to CR.

I love them both, and they couldn’t be more different.

If you were to stay at the Contemporary, I highly recommend a room in the tower on a high floor overlooking Bay Lake. The views are breathtaking. It’s a beautiful resort. The pools are very nice. We loved watching the monorail go through the hotel. The room was large and very comfortable.

The Polynesian is our favorite. We relax immediately upon entering the resort hearing the Hawaiian music.

If you choose the Polynesian, you should still visit the Contemporary and have dinner at California Grill. Watching the fireworks from the restaurant is amazing.

We preferred Contemporary. We stayed there in 2017 and loved it. Our more recent December 2018 trip we stayed at Poly and were underwhelmed. We think our expectations of finally staying there may have been too high. The food at Captain Cooks at the Poly was not good and on some days, inedible which was disappointing as we heard good things. We had loved Contempo Cafe at CR. Long walk from our standard room longhouse outside to the main building which was a hassle bc it was often so crowded. Monorail from Poly to MK was always packed with TTC guests. We missed the walk to MK from CR and even just having a seat on the monorail. Pool at Poly was definitely a plus but we only swam once too chilly other days.
My kids loved the CR bc the monorail went right through the building. The rooms at CR we liked better, the Poly was just so brown. LOL
This was just our experience...a trip to WDW is magical no matter where you stay!

Of all the deluxe resorts we've stayed at the CR was my least favourite. But the Poly is my very least favourite and we've decided not to stay there at all. I get that people like the theming but I just can't help but get a 70's motel vibe from it, the pool is IMO too small and shallow and the layout of the grounds is just horribly disorganized. We stayed in the main building at CR with a water view - which was lovely - but I'm not really that fond of the hotel theming (what theming?), the room layout and the noise from the lobby. Of course, in the garden wing, you won't get that noise so that shouldn't factor in nor should the incredibly slow elevators in the main building which was very frustrating at the end of the day.

I know you said you wouldn't probably walk to MK but unless you're not going to MK at all, I suggest that this would be a good idea to do during the time you're there. The monorail can be incredibly slow and will be packed regardless of which hotel you stay at. One of the benefits of the ability to walk to MK from CR is that it's also close to the MK bus station. That can give you the ability to very quickly get buses from CR to any resort as well as the parks. During Thanksgiving week, that is IMO a huge bonus. And the garden wing, while not to my taste, will be quiet and if you can get a room facing the pool or the water will have a very nice view.

It all depends on what it is you are looking for. My personal favorite is the CR but this is due to being able to walk to the MK with my kids in tow. Theming we prefer the Poly, it feels more like a 'resort' than just a hotel so we usually do a split stay between the 2. 1 week at the Poly and 1 week at the CR.

The Pool at the CR is below par in my opinion. Dated, shallow and just not very interesting. The Poly pools are much more desirable and keep the kids attention better. We usually choose a Garden Wing room for pricing but also for some element of peace and quiet.

Here is a video I shot of our room, we ask for this room specifically due to location and view!

Hi there! We have stayed in both a standard room at the Poly and a garden wing view at the CR. We enjoyed both resorts immensely. However, when I posed this question to my son he indicated he liked the CR a little better. Here is the perspective of DS17:
1. He really liked the monorail going right through the lobby; he liked that fact that we could take both the monorail to MK and Epcot and he liked the walk to the MK (I know this isn't a huge draw for you).
2. He liked the set up of the CR garden wing room better. He and I honestly can't remember how the standard room Poly bathroom is set up, but DS mentioned that the bathroom set up in the garden room was great. And, he's right. The toilet was totally separate from the sinks and shower. So, someone can be going potty with privacy while someone is brushing teeth or showering.
3. DS also enjoyed the Contempo Cafe quick service menu more than Captain Hook's menu...he felt like there were more food options at the CC.
4. He felt like the CR decor both in the room and in the lobby was "cooler" than the Poly.
5. He liked how quiet and "calm" (his word) the garden wing was. It is very easily walkable to the pool and the main tower, but it's very removed from the hustle/bustle of the tower. He also enjoyed stepping out of our room and watching the Water Parade float by at night from the garden wing.
6. While he felt the Poly lava pool was better themed, DS felt the CR pool was less crowded. We went at the end of January/beginning of February, so the time of year may have had something to do with this?

These are purely random from a teen boy, but I thought it was sort of interesting. Again, we loved both the Poly and the CR. Whatever you decide, you really can't go wrong. Both are fabulous resorts and you'll be at WDW!! Have a magical trip!

Poly
Pro - Beautiful grounds
Cons, many many non guests roaming the property from 7am - 11pm. Pool is full daily. Parking is almost non existent. "Loud" with guests in all common areas.

Contemporary
Pro - Quiet resort, Pool not used often, 1st stop to TTC on monorail and first stop coming back from MK.
Cons - Doesnt have beautiful grounds like the Poly! Nice, but not WOW !

I have a soft spot for the Contemporary as it was where we stayed as kids when the park first opened. And there is just something about seeing the monorail go right through the hotel. Full disclaimer, Ive never stayed at the Poly, so I can't compare, but I love me some Contemporary.

CR just gives me the vibe of being on top of the MK parking lot. For me, the proximity to the park is more detriment than benefit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter