Contemporary vs. Yacht Club?

snicketfan

Earning My Ears
Hi! I've been lurking here for some time now reading through threads, but would still love any perspectives you have. I know these are two very different resorts.

We (a couple in our thirties with no children) have been hoping to go to WDW in February 2021 (even before all of this happened), sometime surrounding Valentine's Day. We are not sure if a trip will be feasible by then, but are hopeful.

Neither of us have been to WDW in a very long time. My last trip was as a teenager in 2001 and his was a childhood vacation sometime in the mid 90s.

Our "pros" for the Contemporary:

- this is the resort where he stayed on his childhood trips, and he has a big nostalgia factor surrounding it;
- judging by the photos we've pored over, the rooms seem to be some of the most upscale/luxurious on property;
- walking distance to Magic Kingdom (the park I am most excited about) and easy monorail connection to Epcot (the park he is most excited about);
- we REALLY want to try for California Grill reservations, and how great would it be to not care about a late reservation since we can just take the elevator right downstairs?

Our "pros" for the Yacht Club:

- walking distance to Epcot (the park he is most excited about);
- themed decor without being too "Disneyfied" - we want to strike a good balance between a fun couples getaway and being immersed in the Disney experience;
- gondola access to Hollywood Studios (this is more a novelty, but we love heights!)
- if we want downtime outside of the park (something we are not yet sure about how much to schedule), there is a lot to do in the vicinity with Boardwalk, Beach Club right nearby

The downside about Yacht Club is that one big draw for this resort is the pool area, and we wouldn't really care much about that anyway, and especially not in February. We are leaning toward Contemporary, but can anyone give me some awesome pros for Yacht Club that we are overlooking? Thank you so much!

Personally, I love them both. You could always do a split stay and do both, that’s usually my preference especially traveling without kids. Then I focus on the park I’m closest to for those days and it saves a lot of bus time.

One thing to note, I wouldn’t really say there is gondola access to HS. I mean technically you could do that, but it would be a major waste of time. It’s easiest to walk with the next alternative being the boat. To ride the gondola first you’d have to walk over to Epcot. Then you would have to hop on and ride to Caribbean beach, get off, and transfer to a different gondola line for HS.

Contemporary also has a boat that goes between it, wilderness lodge and fort wilderness. So if you have plans to eat at either of those places it’s handy.

Hi! I've been lurking here for some time now reading through threads, but would still love any perspectives you have. I know these are two very different resorts.

We (a couple in our thirties with no children) have been hoping to go to WDW in February 2021 (even before all of this happened), sometime surrounding Valentine's Day. We are not sure if a trip will be feasible by then, but are hopeful.

Neither of us have been to WDW in a very long time. My last trip was as a teenager in 2001 and his was a childhood vacation sometime in the mid 90s.

- this is the resort where he stayed on his childhood trips, and he has a big nostalgia factor surrounding it;
- judging by the photos we've pored over, the rooms seem to be some of the most upscale/luxurious on property;
- walking distance to Magic Kingdom (the park I am most excited about) and easy monorail connection to Epcot (the park he is most excited about);
- we REALLY want to try for California Grill reservations, and how great would it be to not care about a late reservation since we can just take the elevator right downstairs?

- themed decor without being too "Disneyfied" - we want to strike a good balance between a fun couples getaway and being immersed in the Disney experience;
- gondola access to Hollywood Studios (this is more a novelty, but we love heights!)
- if we want downtime outside of the park (something we are not yet sure about how much to schedule), there is a lot to do in the vicinity with Boardwalk, Beach Club right nearby

The downside about Yacht Club is that one big draw for this resort is the pool area, and we wouldn't really care much about that anyway, and especially not in February. We are leaning toward Contemporary, but can anyone give me some awesome pros for Yacht Club that we are overlooking? Thank you so much!
Given your interests, I recommend the Contemporary. It's an elegant hotel with comfortable rooms. The Yacht Club is nice, but a big part of its appeal is the pool. For a winter trip for someone who is excited about MK & Epcot, the Contemporary is perfect. My favorite way to enter Epcot is via the monorail: it gives you a view of the park on the way in.

The quietest rooms at the Comtemporary are the garden wing rooms, as the tower, with its open restaurant and monorail, is quite a bit louder. The garden wing is also less expensive than the rooms in the tower. I've stayed in both and the rooms themselves are identical. The only difference is that it takes a minute or two to walk from the garden wing into the tower.

I think as an overall resort, I prefer YC, however, in your case, since you haven't been to WDW for so long, I would go with CR. It is quintessential, historic WDW. You can walk to MK and, as you noted, go to Cali Grill for dinner and walk right back to your room afterward. The monorail to EP is a lot of fun. We stayed at CR last November and, on our EP day, we ended up taking a Skyliner ride to DHS just for the fun of it and took a bus back to CR from there - so riding the Skyliner certainly isn't out of the question even if you do choose CR. In terms of things to do in the vicinity if you are taking a break from the parks, you can always do the resort loop on the monorail to visit the other resorts or take the boat to WL and Ft. W to check out those areas as well.

We have stayed at the Contemporary and Yacht Club. Theme park view at Contemporary Club Level was amazing! Yacht Club, Club Level is amazing in a different way. We like Atrium Club better than the Stone Harbor Club but we like Storm along bay better than the pool at Contemporary. We like the restaurants at The Contemporary better but like being right next to the boardwalk so both are great choices. I know, I was no help lol.

Check events that are happening at Epcot during that time, it may be during their International Festival of the Arts, and being able to walk over from Yacht Club would be huge. Also, another pro-Yacht Club point, would be that it’s very easy to walk around the lake and visit Beach Club, Swan and Dolphin, and Boardwalk and all the restaurants that they have. Just hanging out on the boardwalk is very fun and peaceful too, and it seems Yacht Club tends to be cheaper than Contemporary.

I have stayed at both and far prefer the aesthetic of YC... But MK is my favorite resort area and I love being on the monorail. The CR was very drab to me and I missed richer theming.

We're two adults in our 30s with no kids as well, and we would choose YC over Contemporary every time. Contemporary has always felt sterile and blah in theme to us. So, mostly a personal preference. But a few things I'll add:

As PP clarified, riding the Skyliner to DHS is not the most direct route. Most people from Yacht Club would either walk to DHS or take the Friendship Boat. To take the Skyliner, you'd have to walk all the way over to almost the entrance to Epcot, ride the Skyliner to Caribbean Beach resort, then transfer to the DHS line. The Skyliner is fast, but not faster than just walking or boating to DHS. But IMO, being able to walk or boat to Epcot AND DHS is one of the main pros. Only having to bus to 2 of the 4 parks is such a nice perk. The buses are not always the most pleasant experience.

That being said, having the Skyliner close by does open up additional dining options at Riviera and ease of access to the other Skyliner resorts, if you find you have downtime and want to explore or grab a drink/meal at one of them.

True, and I would also add that Yacht Club is more centrally located than Contemporary making for a shorter commute to other resorts, parks, Disney Springs, etc. There's mini golf right there as well as the Swan/Dolphin resort which has some awesome dining options. If you have park hoppers, its nice to pop into Epcot for a quick drink or meal on a night off too. So many fun snacks and drinks to try at Epcot, its impossible to make a dent on just your designated Epcot day alone.

The downside about Yacht Club is that one big draw for this resort is the pool area, and we wouldn't really care much about that anyway, and especially not in February.
IMO, this is a good thing for you. The biggest con about Yacht Club for us is Stormalong Bay, the main pool. Its a great pool, but its always very busy with families because it is the main draw of the resort, so its not the most relaxing atmosphere. IMO, not caring about the pool and/or traveling during cooler months when pool time will be limited is the perfect time try Yacht Club/Beach Club to avoid the chaotic pool scene.

My husband and I stayed theme park view at the Contemporary and thought it was amazing. Staying in the tower definitely lived up to the hype. We like the BC area but for an adult trip, I'd go Contemporary all the way.

Everyone has different likes and for me, I’ve never stayed at CR due to lack of appeal. We’ve stayed at every other deluxe except CR & BWI for that reason.
So my pick would be YC. It’s a great resort with lots of options between YC & BC which are connected by a hall and a covered short outside walkway by Beaches & Cream. Plus you have the Boardwalk and World showcase in your back yard. You may be surprised with the weather in Feb. I’ve enjoyed the pool in some Januarys. Weather is all over the map. Pack the suits! At the least there’s the hot tubs, one looks like a hidden grotto!

I have stayed at both and they are both very nice resorts. CR has a real Disney feel with a lot of shopping/dining/monorail activity going on in the tower. Some people think it is too busy but I like it. I wouldn't go to CR if you are looking for a quiet resort. YC has a quieter feel and I like being near the boardwalk area for strolling around. You can't really stroll outside CR. I also like the easy access to WS for food and drinks.

It depends on what you are looking for: Disney immersion at CR vs quieter resort-like atmosphere at YC.

We've stayed at both and really love them both! You have some good pros and cons but also don't forget about the restaurants. Contemporary has the better quick service if that's of interest to you.
I agree with the poster who suggested a split stay, we tried that with 3 kids and it wasn't a problem at all. That way you get the best of both!
I will add though, that I know others might disagree but I really feel the tower rooms are the way to go with the Contemporary. Being able to see the monorail cruise through is spectacular, though it is quite a bit more expensive than the Garden shed, ahem, I mean wing, haha

I love them both. Some things I think you should consider...

1) Dining - While I agree you should do CG for dinner regardless of where you stay, I think you should look at the different dining options around the Boardwalk area which should include the Swan/Dolphin Hotels. They both have fantastic dining options. Also, DHS and even more so EC has some great dining as well. A quick boat ride or walk over makes this very convenient.

2) I think you should also consider which park(s) you are going to spend most of your time at. If MK then the decision is easy...CR. However, if Epcot is going to be your most visited I think you really should consider YC.

3) Is the pool a draw just because you aren't going to use it or you don't think it is nice? Stormalong Bay is fantastic and easily the best pool on property. If you like a pool this is certainly a plus. The pool at CR is my least favorite on property. All this being said...Feb is hit or miss for pool time anyway.

4) The X factor. If you stay at CR and you go for a Theme Park View Room...well that is my winner. You really can't beat sitting on your balcony sipping wine while watching the fireworks from MK with the sound pumped in to your room.

For an adults’ trip, especially if you are planning on enjoying some of the excellent Epcot World Showcase restaurants, I would go with YC.

If you want to ride Rise of The Resistance, the Yacht Club is an easy walk to Hollywood Studios to be at the gates before opening.

Yacht Club is my favorite resort and I have never set foot in Stormalong Bay. Besides the easy access to Epcot and DHS, I like the feel that there is always something to do in the Epcot resort area - restaurants, walking, shopping, activities at the Boardwalk, etc. As you are already aware, the Skyliner isn’t necessarily the preferred mode of transportation to DHS, but it is close enough to ride to DHS for fun. I plan to do that on my next visit to YC, though not when I am in a hurry to get to the park.

I stayed at the Contemporary several years ago with all the perks, theme park view and club level. The proximity to MK and the boat transport to WL and FW are nice, but for me the Contemporary has a kind of sterile feel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter