Continue to be shocked by the rude bully we encountered :(

Carrie in AZ

DIS Veteran
We've all read about rude guests, but until I experienced an exchange with a rude bully, I couldn't quite fathom the shock of it.

My friend and I are both in our early 50's, we were at DW last week with my DD11. Saturday night was the last night of our trip. We sat down in that area immediately in front of the castle to watch the ELP and that went pretty well. Right after it was over, a CM came by and said "everyone do a 180 and turn toward the castle as that will be the direction you want to face for what comes next". So, we all scooted around to face the castle, everyone in that entire area remained seated.

A couple minutes later a big, tall man along with his wife and young son walked into the area, made space for themselves and stood right in front of me. There was a little bit of room for them to possibly sit down but not really, and I thought they would try to squeeze in and sit down when the show on the castle began. It started and they didn't sit down. We asked them to please sit down and the lady turned around, looked at me and said "no, we don't want to sit down, we are going to stand up". I asked her again to please sit down as we could not see and they were the only ones standing up". She bent down toward my face, looked at me with her crazy eyes and through pursed lips said "I don't want to sit down". Yikes...

I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like to go through life living as a poor excuse for a human being. Totally rude, totally disrespectful.....an absolute bully. I still feel pretty shocked by this encounter. I know there have been way worse reported on these boards, but until it actually happens, it's hard to know what these encounters feel like. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

So sorry you had that experience. That's the thing with some people, they don't know how to act. They are like that in their everyday lives. You would think the Disney magic would help more people be kinder when they are at Disney, but sadly that's not always the case... I'm so sorry again.

I would have asked to trade spaces with them, so that they were standing behind. OP, how did you see the fireworks?

That's when, if everyone else is sitting down, you start to say things that make the standers feel uncomfortable. Start a "Sit down!" chant or yell out things like "Hey everybody! How do you like these guys standing? Aren't they great!", anything you can so everyone is looking at them and knows they are the problem, continue to make the backs of their head burn with everyone joining you in your great crusade against the standers.

Ooo.. it's exciting just thinking about it.

I would have asked to trade spaces with them, so that they were standing behind. OP, how did you see the fireworks?

My friend did ask them this and they would not turn around to acknowledge the request. I didn't try harder to ask them this because that scenario didn't seem right either as there were other people's views that still would have been blocked.

I'm normally the type of gal who does not allow other's infractions to slip by me, but I did not want to get into it with this couple for many reasons. I'm pretty sure this gal would have had no problem cussing at me, slapping me, hitting me or pushing me and I wasn't about to "go there". It just burns me up when people don't treat others the way they would like to be treated. Would they have liked someone standing in front of them? No. End of story. The reason why I stated she was a bully is because I find her behavior boorish and I have no doubt this gal goes through life disrespecting and intimidating everyone in her path. :(

People like that are terrible and not worth your time. They'll do a fine job self destructing all on their own. It's awful they ruined your experience though!

Sorry this happened but I agree she was rude, not really a bully though. I have yet, in over 30 years of going, not had someone get in front of me and block my view, no matter whether it's sitting or standing. I'm a height challenged woman so always try to get as close to where kids are sitting in order to see and not block other people. It never fails when I do that, Mom or Dad, who have been sitting at first stand up. If I shift to see around them, they do the shift dance themselves. I've even had my DS offer to pick me up and hold me up like parents do so I can see. It's unfortunate but some people just don't think they are being rude.

That's when, if everyone else is sitting down, you start to say things that make the standers feel uncomfortable. Start a "Sit down!" chant or yell out things like "Hey everybody! How do you like these guys standing? Aren't they great!", anything you can so everyone is looking at them and knows they are the problem, continue to make the backs of their head burn with everyone joining you in your great crusade against the standers.

Ooo.. it's exciting just thinking about it.

this made me think of when I was in a movie theater and someone up front was playing on their cell phone. All of a sudden this guy in my row yells "Hey you down in front, thanks for looking at your cell phone, we all really like the bright lights, it doesn't bother us at all!" I have to admit, I was shocked he did that, but the person down front shut the phone and never took it out again.

I see rude but unless something was changed after the original posting I am not seeing bullying.

Me either. And I had pretty much the same thing happen during my trip a couple of weeks ago. Waiting for the parade to go by and everyone was sitting. Then 3 women walked up and couldn't or wouldn't sit. So the everyone behind them had to stand. Grr. Rude yes, bullying no.

I'm sure it's starting to feel like everyone who is focussing on the word "bully" is missing the point of your post. They're not though - everyone agrees this person's behaviour was rude, boorish, and could even have felt intimidating at the time (those "crazy eyes").

It's just that "bully" is a very specific, and particularly loaded, word. A bully is someone who uses *superior* strength or power (either social, physical or experiential) to harm, intimidate or influence someone weaker. You are certainly not weaker than this awful woman. As guests, with equal amounts of power constrained only by social convention and your willingness to step outside it (if she'd tried that with another guest, she might've ended up with a fight on her hands), the two of you are equals. Peers, as it were. :)

And remember - there's a kind of strength (and certainly MUCH dignity!) in deciding not to engage with someone looking for a fight. I hope the rest of your trip was very enjoyable!

We go to a lot of concerts that are general admission standing room only, and I have found that the best thing to do is to not get involved in space conflicts. If someone rude stands right in front of me and blocks my view, I avoid the conflict and move over a little so I can see. If you want to have fun you can't let stuff like that bother you.

There is a fine line between the one's who are so territorial that they confront any who comes within arms length, and those who disregard other people and just squeeze past everyone so they can have a better spot. So you got the space hogs and the space entitled. I prefer to be space Switzerland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter