Convince me I don't need Disney (of help me convince my parents that they do)

We went with Royal Caribbean for or our Alaska Cruise based off price. I wish we had paid the difference, I felt I was constantly being up sold for everything on the ship. Sitting down for coffee and without fail every morning the specialty restaurant staff would come around and ask if I wanted to book a table for that day. Sitting upstairs on the deck and spa staff would ask if I was interested in any treatments that day. Went to an enrichment lecture and was reminded of the great deals in port and on the ship. In the main dining 'would like somthing off our uncharge menu?' Every activity seemed geared towards getting you to spend more money. Made me realize that while Disney is expensive they make their money upfront and are not trying nickel and dime you to make up the difference on the ship.

^See to me, that would maybe be a little grating on the nerves, but in the end all I would do is say no and I'd still be up thousands on Disney. All of those things cost extra on Disney too, they just don't necessarily ask you if you want them .... while also charging you 2x the base price anyway!

^See to me, that would maybe be a little grating on the nerves, but in the end all I would do is say no and I'd still be up thousands on Disney. All of those things cost extra on Disney too, they just don't necessarily ask you if you want them .... while also charging you 2x the base price anyway!

Exactly. I am not saying it does not happen, but I have been on 3 RCCL cruises and have only encountered specialty dining people walking the buffet seating area once on embarkation day at lunch. The rest of the time, yes, they are usually stationed in the walkway into the buffet, but they are not jumping out and blocking your entrance - just ignore and walk by. Never saw the spa people wandering the decks - a stationary location (as I have seen on Disney, BTW) and same thing - just walk on by. Unless a talk is being given by a naturalist or other expert, you can bet it is going to hit shopping points. And all it took was one polite “I am fine with the regular menu” on the first night and upcharged items were never suggested again.

Maybe living in NYC where I have to run gauntlets of panhandlers and street “performers” (not to mention the subways) makes it easier to ignore or be politely assertive (in real life, downright assertive to the point of “rude” but have never encountered that level on a ship) in dealing with it. But as @lilsonicfan said, once you say no thanks, the salespeople on ships move on.

I felt Disney had better entertainment and activities that Royal, The majority of activities on Royal seemed to center around the bars, shopping or the like. And the hassling was constant, you couldn't walk through the ship without being asked if you wanted to spend more money. Kinda like the only entrance to the Kids Club was in the Arcade where the kids always begged to play (my kids don't even know there was an arcade on the DCL cause we never went). Also many things on Disney are included that are an uncharge on other ships. Room Service, Soda in the cabanas or by the pool, food at the coffee shop, eye scream (soft serve on deck) all included. All that stuff is extra on the other ships. The service level was so much better on Disney that when I start to pay that much for cruise the extra cost would have been worth it, but what's worth it depends on each individual.

I think you can have a great cruise in Princess. You just need to do your research and figure out activities that your kids will like. A lot of the excursions on Alaskan cruises are nature-based. And while it is beautiful, there are only so many bald eagles and seals you can see before it looses its novelty. So find the activities that will appeal to your kids and book them ASAP so you don’t miss out. And prep the kids for the cool stuff they will get to do and what the trip will be like so that they go in to the trip with a positive attitude and realistic expectations.

Also many things on Disney are included that are an uncharge on other ships. Room Service, Soda in the cabanas or by the pool, food at the coffee shop, eye scream (soft serve on deck) all included. All that stuff is extra on the other ships. The service level was so much better on Disney that when I start to pay that much for cruise the extra cost would have been worth it, but what's worth it depends on each individual.

Okay, you are right that for some lines, things like soda/pop are an upcharge, or room service has an extra fee. I've not noticed coffee shop food to be a charge (on Princess, their coffee shop had waaaaay better food than Cove Cafe), or soft serve ice cream. But again, I just adapt to that too - if pop costs extra, I either pay it or don't drink pop, and again, there's never a time when I'll drink enough pop to make DCL worth that price. Also, many ships offer drink packages that (yes, cost extra) end up working out cheaper than if you were to drink the same amount on DCL.

I'm of the view that there's a balance to be had. I used the example of my European cruise a few times. We sailed on MSC in their concierge level - which included full drink package, concierge-private pool, private deck, private lounge (massive), gelato (think Sweet on You), priority everything, balcony room - all this for half the price of DCL in inside or oceanview rooms. Yes, DCL service is amazing and "better" - but not $5,000-6,000 better. And that was ME paying. If my parents chose to pay for a cruise for all of us, I wouldn't utter a peep about upgrading, changing to DCL, etc.

I would actually be thrilled that it was Princess and not Disney to Alaska. According to all the reviews Princess has the best Alaskan experience.

I like qhat a PP mentioned - on a trip with grandparents, it is kinda nice not to have a kids club that is TOO good, kwim? This way the kids are more likely to hang out and spend family time together. On a nuclear family cruise, I am happy to send my kids off so they can have fun and I can get some time apart from them. On a grandparent cruise, it would be nice for the kids to spend more of their time with their grandparents. Maybe reframe your thinking for more time chilling together on a deck or in various cafes or doing activities together and less kids club time?

I love Disney and the DCL product. But from all accounts, Princess is THE best at Alaska.

I felt Disney had better entertainment and activities that Royal, The majority of activities on Royal seemed to center around the bars, shopping or the like. And the hassling was constant, you couldn't walk through the ship without being asked if you wanted to spend more money. Kinda like the only entrance to the Kids Club was in the Arcade where the kids always begged to play (my kids don't even know there was an arcade on the DCL cause we never went). Also many things on Disney are included that are an uncharge on other ships. Room Service, Soda in the cabanas or by the pool, food at the coffee shop, eye scream (soft serve on deck) all included. All that stuff is extra on the other ships. The service level was so much better on Disney that when I start to pay that much for cruise the extra cost would have been worth it, but what's worth it depends on each individual.

Curious what ship you were on? The Oasis class have great shows - something family friendly each night. On DCL the most we get are 2 that we really enjoy. Finally going to stop going to the rest of them and try to actually enjoy their teeny, tiny pool while people are at the show. Soda? We don't drink it. We personally find it so unhealthy. :-) Food in the coffee place on the Promenade is FREE on RC as well. FREE soft serve is also available in several spots on the pool deck on RC. We've obviously had very different experiences. And I'm always curious as to what is an upcharge on other ships that is free on Disney (other than soda - and room service - even though other lines have free room service at certain times).

In Alaska they only have couple of ships, we were on Explorer of the Seas, I was not impressed

I feel like a selfish turd for even posting this but here it is anyway.
My parents are planning to take my family of 4 (DW, DD6, DD4,& Me) on an Alaska cruise for their 50th anniversary. They were planning on Princess cruises then switched to Disney which was exciting but then they switched back. I really want the girls to have a great trip and I'm worried that the Princess Cruise won't deliver. One detail that worries me is that the kids clubs break the ages at 7 which will split the girls up when we take the trip in 2 years and they're pretty close with the younger one in particular dealing with some attachment stuff. I also can't seem to sell myself on the kids' clubs on the Princess ships, they look like (and I'm sure are) afterthoughts. We can't just default to swimming instead of kids clubs either because Alaska in the early summer isn't exactly going to be hot.
Pricing out the options for similar rooms on the two lines shows that Disney is nearly double the price. Maybe if it were my money I'd doubt the value in it but I honestly think the Disney option actually looks 2x as good to me.
Any tips and tricks for convincing my parents that they should spring for the cruise that's 2x the cost because their greedy man-child thinks it's better. Or perhaps better yet (though sacrilege on this forum), any tips to help me get the f over the change and be happy we're getting treated to a cruise at all?
The only way I would try to convince my parents is to not be the greedy man-child you profess to be and approach them with your checkbook open.

Offer to pay the difference between the Princess cruise and the Disney cruise if you want it so badly.

And really? Swearing because you have to "get the f over the change?" Your parents should be nominated for saint hood. I wouldn't tolerate that. We are taking the entire family on a RCL Med cruise this summer. If any of them were that ungrateful, I would just tell them that if they want something different, nothing is stopping them. They can pay for it.

Honestly this whole thread sent me over to the Princess site and now I'm convinced I'll book with them if we do Alaska again unless DCL offers Hubbard Glacier again or gets a permit for Glacier Bay. I want to go in mid-late July next time so we can have a chance at seeing salmon and bears in Ketchikan, and that is peak pricing time for DCL. This assuming, of course, that Princess really has cleaned up its act with waste water.

They are paying for your family of four to join them on a cruise. It is their gift to you. If you really want to go on DCL then offer or rather insist that you be allowed to pay for the upgrade. If you are not ready or willing to put out the cash, accept the trip graciously and don't look for tips and tricks to change their itinerary. I have taken an Alaska cruise, not on DCL and it was great. One of the highlights of the trip was Glacier Bay, where DCL does not go because they do not have a permit. In two years your daughters will also be two years older; they will be different than they are now. Go on the trip, have a good time

I can't even with this post.....Seriously. Ungrateful doesn't begin to cover it for me.
Yes I know the OP realizes that they are being ungrateful but still.....do you have ANY idea how many of us would LOVE to have our parents still be alive, to still be married for 50 years, to still be around to celebrate their children and grandchildren??? I would KILL for that. My kids will never have that because I'm 43 and both my parents have now passed away.
So put on your big boy undies and take the darn free cruise!

I really hope that your parents never get the slightest idea that you are anything less than thrilled and grateful to go on this cruise. It isn't really about you, after all. It's about their hope that they can celebrate their accomplishment with the people they love the most by their side. I'm sure they are excited believing that's what their children and grandchildren want too. I'd hate to think you would do anything at all to rain on their parade.

If you want to go to Alaska on a Disney cruise, by all means do it. On your own time, on your own money.

People need to chill. The OP is expressing his own concerns and is open to changing his mind, but seems to be a DCL loyalist, so it's not easy. This doesn't mean he's ungrateful, just trying to process and asking for our help, not condemnation.
Sorry, but below doesn't sound very grateful. And based on his 34 past posts, being a Disney Loyalist is a stretch.

Or perhaps better yet (though sacrilege on this forum), any tips to help me get the f over the change and be happy we're getting treated to a cruise at all?

In Alaska they only have couple of ships, we were on Explorer of the Seas, I was not impressed

Got it. We've only cruised a smaller/older ship for our Baltic, which was so port intensive it didn't matter what we were on! For all others, we only cruise on the bigger/newer ships. They are very different and we love those.

People need to chill. The OP is expressing his own concerns and is open to changing his mind, but seems to be a DCL loyalist, so it's not easy. This doesn't mean he's ungrateful, just trying to process and asking for our help, not condemnation.

I do happen to disagree with you here. Actually quite strongly. You quoted only the last portion of his post, but didn't respond to the portion I highlighted below. One option this poster is actually entertaining is to use "tips or tricks" to convince his parents to double the price they are paying to take everyone on vacation to celebrate their 50th anniversary, because he would prefer it. Why even entertain that as an option?

I totally understand why he might be disappointed in the specifics of the cruise. He has valid reasons for that. My concern is that his disappointment should not take center stage at such a milestone event. I also can't imagine an adult trying to talk anyone, let alone his parents, into spending money that doesn't belong to him. That's what kids and teenagers do.

Someone Oprah used to quote said that, "when people tell you who they are, believe them." The poster characterized himself as a "greedy man-child." I hope for his parents' sake, he is able to prove to them, when they celebrate 50 years of marriage, that the person they raised is better than that.

Pricing out the options for similar rooms on the two lines shows that Disney is nearly double the price. Maybe if it were my money I'd doubt the value in it but I honestly think the Disney option actually looks 2x as good to me.
Any tips and tricks for convincing my parents that they should spring for the cruise that's 2x the cost because their greedy man-child thinks it's better
. Or perhaps better yet (though sacrilege on this forum), any tips to help me get the f over the change and be happy we're getting treated to a cruise at all?

Last edited:
I can't even with this post.....Seriously. Ungrateful doesn't begin to cover it for me.
Yes I know the OP realizes that they are being ungrateful but still.....do you have ANY idea how many of us would LOVE to have our parents still be alive, to still be married for 50 years, to still be around to celebrate their children and grandchildren??? I would KILL for that. My kids will never have that because I'm 43 and both my parents have now passed away.
So put on your big boy undies and take the darn free cruise!

Same. I lost my father when I was 16 yo and my mother when I was 27 yo. My mother dreamed of travelling but died from bone cancer before she could even afford a single trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter