COOKS Help me out here please...

dyna

DIS Veteran
I cooked a pot of dry beans great northerns that does not have as much flavor as I'd like.

How about if I fry up a pound of bacon add half of it to the beans an the other half to home fried taters. I'll add onion to taters to give them a bit of flavor.

Would I be better off using the bacon more as a topping so it doesn't get soggy in the beans an taters?

Company comin at 6 this evening.

I cooked a pot of dry beans great northerns that does not have as much flavor as I'd like.

How about if I fry up a pound of bacon add half of it to the beans an the other half to home fried taters. I'll add onion to taters to give them a bit of flavor.

Would I be better off using the bacon more as a topping so it doesn't get soggy in the beans an taters?

What did you season your beans with as they cooked?

I would look at bean recipes on 'Damn Delicious' site and add seasonings accordingly

Ham an ham seasoning salt an pepper...bigger bag of beans than I normally buy did not notice that an have bought more ham.

I ended up fryin the bacon serving it on the side rather than putting it in the beans or the taters...everyone enjoyed.

I haven't been able to find great northern beans since the pandemic started! Even the tag is gone and there's no space for them on the shelves. Even my sister, who doesn't live near me, can't find them.
Anyway, I make mine with a hamhock and that flavors nicely.

I see this is past but to let you know for the future if you have bacon fried up or even baked on a sheet in your oven it will not get soggy if you add it to other dishes.
https://shermanpolebuildings.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/bacon-chart.jpgI do go with a 4-5 range when putting it into things like eggs or a loaded potato soup and even up to a 6 when it is in a bean soup. 5 or 6 crumble really well for use as even a salad topping.

I'm a country girl and my mom always used ham hocks when she cooked beans. I still do, but they are very hard to find. I was able to find some yesterday that I'll use for my black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. Bones and pieces from a baked ham also work well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter