Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I’m not sure if this has been stated before. Even though most people are not in the “vulnerable” category , you can still spread the virus to those who are (older adults and those with compromised immune systems) so if you aren’t personally concerned, you can actually harm others by carrying and spreading the virus. This is why there is lockdowns, quarantines etc. they are containing the spread. I would for sure go on cruise right now, however, it takes one person onBoard to have a fever to sit in quarantine for 14 days. Imagine being locked in 200 sq foot space without any means to port. It’s definitely something to consider.
Yes but doesn't this apply to influenza which millions of Americans get and causes more than 10,000 deaths every year?

I read this article today about how health care workers are plagued by fear...um really. If there are any healthcare workers plagued by fear please share your thoughts. I work in healthcare and everyone thinks it's overhyped fake news. There's always such a disconnect between what the media says and what goes what see in the hospitals. It's pretty consistent among all outbreaks and pandemics.
Everyone I work with is continuing on with their travels. One of my managers is even going on with her trip to Italy in May. We did get an email saying if we visit a country with a level 2 warning we will have to be off work for 14 days upon return....um sign me up. If that's not an incentive to travel I don't know what is.
I'm hoping in a couple of months the media will find something else to talk about. It is an election year after all.
I’m a nurse. I am NOT plagued by fear. And We are too busy at work to sit around and worry!

My cruise leaves the 29th... I keep hoping I get back my OBC Disney took when I didn't make a payment on time.
Nope, they will let me cancel and rebook but they are not making the pot any sweeter ;)

Maybe it will be a light sailing... Imagine a ship with only a thousand people on it :)

Yes but doesn't this apply to influenza which millions of Americans get and causes more than 10,000 deaths every year?

Maybe. But it looks like this has a higher fatality rate, a higher transmission rate, and a longer life on surfaces. Since we don't have great data though, we don't know how much this is from limited testing, or what the real numbers are.

But I think for every person I've seen worried about actually getting sick, 99 are simply concerned about being quarantined.

But I think for every person I've seen worried about actually getting sick, 99 are simply concerned about being quarantined.

Exactly! If someone comes down with the flu or norovirus on the ship, that person just gets quarantined to their cabin and can disembark normally and go about their merry way ... if anyone on your cruise is even suspected of having Coronavirus, the entire ship feels the impact. And if someone is diagnosed? There goes the next 2 weeks of your life!

Cast Members and Travel Agents.

Why isnt there a common acronym thread, preferably stickied? Many online forums have them. Is it just that no one has bothered to make one or have there been attempts and the mods wont sticky?
Are you volunteering to make one?
There is a sticky thread with all the abbreviations. It can be found in the “Welcome to the DIS“ board. There is a thread all on it.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-list-of-common-abbreviations.1660743/

We also have this one already:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-list-of-common-abbreviations-cruise-edition.3795833/
I am unclear why you'd suggest we are unwilling to sticky things...? :confused3 We have a bunch at the top. The abbreviations are part of our FAQ sticky. https://www.disboards.com/threads/dis-dcl-faq-new-alphabetical-listing-of-dcl-information.2068966/

Given that both Canada and the US have now issued advisories against cruising, DCL will have a lot to ponder. I think they are tired of rescuing stranded passengers and putting them into quarantine and this seems to only escalating. Yes it is disappointing. I cancelled my dream cruise to Greece and a WDW trip I was supposed to leave on tomorrow, but have no regrets. I have never been to Italy or Greece and it was a trip for both my youngest daughters who may not be available to do this again as they will have other commitments going forward.

It’s also mind boggling that dcl prices haven’t gone down much whereas other cruise lines are nearly and practically free at the moment.

We’re scheduled to leave on the Fantasy this Saturday, but my husband doesn’t believe his employer will be sympathetic if we get quarantined after ignoring the state department’s warning. So i waited on hold for TWO HOURS this morning to beg DCL to let me take my cruise credit and apply it to a Walt Disney world stay next week instead. You would think in light of the government warning they would be sympathetic, but the person I spoke with was not only unhelpful, he was pretty rude. He told me they’re aware of the state department’s warning but aren’t making any changes to their plans because of it. He said all their ships are still full as though I’m lucky to have my reservation. That doesn’t explain why it took them two hours to pick up my call of course. Must have been an influx of travelers trying to book Disney cruises. I came here hoping to see if he was telling the truth that no one is cancelling. Thanks to all the people who’ve posted here. This is helpful. Maybe I’ll see some of you on the Fantasy next week because it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting our money back if we don’t go.

I agree with you. If DCL or the CDC could guarantee me I will not be held on the boat or in some other quarantine post cruise, I would almost certainly still take my cruise. They very real threat of quarantine is what is causing us to most likely cancel.

This is where we are with our 8/30 Norway cruise. If I had to self-quarantine at home for some reason, I'd be fine. I can do some of my work from home and my job would cover me for the duration. I'm not worried about my own health for one second, but all it takes right now is one person exposed to create a chain of cascading events that prevents or erases the joy of the vacation.

My TA thinks things will be clearer later this week after the cruise lines and government announces new policies. She also thinks Disney will extend their cancellation changes to include our sale date. We're fully insured, so it was never about the money. It's about not wanting to lose my vacation. At least we've got a Plan B WDW stay lined up in case. If we can't take that, then pretty much nothing is happening!

I wonder if the State Department's warning is a pressure tactic to get the cruise industry to agree to set standards after the meeting with the VP? Or, if it's temporary and will be modified after the new standards are announced? It's going to be strange week across the board.

My employer came out today and said if you travel anywhere and come back having any type of cold symptoms you must report to the company and self quarantine for 14 days. We can work from home so no monetary concerns. This is after them canceling all travel domestic and international last week indefinitely. A cruise just seems really risky right now.

We’re scheduled to leave on the Fantasy this Saturday, but my husband doesn’t believe his employer will be sympathetic if we get quarantined after ignoring the state department’s warning. So i waited on hold for TWO HOURS this morning to beg DCL to let me take my cruise credit and apply it to a Walt Disney world stay next week instead. You would think in light of the government warning they would be sympathetic, but the person I spoke with was not only unhelpful, he was pretty rude. He told me they’re aware of the state department’s warning but aren’t making any changes to their plans because of it. He said all their ships are still full as though I’m lucky to have my reservation. That doesn’t explain why it took them two hours to pick up my call of course. Must have been an influx of travelers trying to book Disney cruises. I came here hoping to see if he was telling the truth that no one is cancelling. Thanks to all the people who’ve posted here. This is helpful. Maybe I’ll see some of you on the Fantasy next week because it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting our money back if we don’t go.
You are requesting to cross funds from two separate entities, I would imagine if they allowed that it would create a fiscal nightmare at the end of the year reconciling financials. I understand being frustrated about it, but no surprise they won't allow it.

We just found out that a “self-quarantined” individual in our neighborhood broke quarantine in a major way (a quarantine dad went to a father/daughter school dance—what a jerk) and two schools have been closed as a result. And of course, many of my coworkers have kids in those schools so may end up becoming carriers as well, yet are still coming into the office until/if they get sick. I say this only because it changed my focus from thinking about getting sick on vacation to thinking about getting sick at home. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of us end up getting quarantined whether or not we go on our cruises.

You are requesting to cross funds from two separate entities, I would imagine if they allowed that it would create a fiscal nightmare at the end of the year reconciling financials. I understand being frustrated about it, but no surprise they won't allow it.
DCL does let you book “land and sea” vacations though so they must have an intracompany agreement to allow it. Same with the magic cruises that go from NYC to WDW.

Your only hope is disney cancels the cruise then you would get your money back from the cruise and apply that money to the disney world trip. Like the other member mentioned even though your booking trips with Disney, going to world and on cruse line are 2 separate businesses. They don't work together. Unless you booked disney world with them as a port excursion you might be able to get a refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter