• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Couch to 5k

Ugh. I'm stuck! I cannot get to that 26 minute marker. 20 minutes is still tough, so after that I am just done. I have decided to "quit" C25K and go it alone from here on out. Today I ran 20 minutes straight and then switched to distance. After the 20 minutes, I walked to complete the lap I was on and then walked a 1/4 mile on top of that. Then I ran for 1/2 mile and then walked for 10 minutes. My hope is that doing that exact run all week will make the 20 minutes easier. Depending on how I am feeling I might try for 26 next week or maybe just do a 21 minute run then the 1/2 mile and work up the 30 minutes slowly.

The good thing is that I keep going back. I have not run so many days in my life! :lmao:

Or try Jeff Galloway's method. His training plans work on doing intervals. It is just a matter of finding what ratio works for you. Maybe start with a 1:1. So run one minute, walk one minute. If you google Jeff Galloway, he has a conditioning plan that lots of Disney runners have used to get ready for his half marathon plan. I think he also has a 5K and 10K plan. It might help you break that 20 min mark and go further. Good luck, just keep working at it. You WILL get there!

Or try Jeff Galloway's method. His training plans work on doing intervals. It is just a matter of finding what ratio works for you. Maybe start with a 1:1. So run one minute, walk one minute. If you google Jeff Galloway, he has a conditioning plan that lots of Disney runners have used to get ready for his half marathon plan. I think he also has a 5K and 10K plan. It might help you break that 20 min mark and go further. Good luck, just keep working at it. You WILL get there!

I was doing the "ease into 5K" C25K program. W7D1 is jog 20- walk 3- run 5 (which I beat after a few tries). W7D2 is a solid 26 straight and it is kicking my butt!! :faint:

Give the intervals a try. Having even just a 1 minute walk break every few minutes can make a huge difference. There are tons of people who do whole marathons using Galloway intervals. I'm doing the full at Disney in January and was planning on running the whole thing (except for stopping for pictures) but the higher mileage is not going well. I'm making the switch to intervals so I'll see how it goes. As long as you are moving you are making progress and still ahead of those still on the couch! :thumbsup2

Colleen you won! :p I did a little research on your runDisney guy and I was impressed, so I broke down and bought his timer. Maybe his plan can fix me! :rotfl:

Colleen you won! :p I did a little research on your runDisney guy and I was impressed, so I broke down and bought his timer. Maybe his plan can fix me! :rotfl:

Check out the runDisney.com web site. Jeff's training plans for the half marathons and full are on there. The key is finding what interval works for you, so play around with it. There are tons of people who do the Disney races using intervals! Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

Just finished week 3 today. I've discovered the hard way that I've been wearing the wrong shoes for my feet. I've had progressively worse shin splits for the past week and a half, and because of that I've been having 2 or even 3 days between some of my runs, so I'm a little behind. Luckily I was able to order some new shoes today that should be a lot better for me. Next week I think I'm going to take a "break" from the program and just run 1 mile every day to give the shoes (and my feet) a little break-in period. And then on to week 4! Week 3 was a little harder than I expected, so hopefully these changes will help keep me progressing.

I've also started playing a game with myself. Each week I have to have run more miles than the week before (not always the case if you just go by the timer on the C25k app). Week 1 I did 4.7 miles, Week 2: 5.5 miles, Week 3: 6 miles. I had to do some intervals after the timer told me I was done, but it felt good to push myself a little farther.

I have finally stopped the excuses. I work full-time, have a busy family life and am in a doctoral program. My excuse was that I would wait until after the doctoral program was over to tackle the weight loss. Then it became apparent that if I waited any longer, they would be rolling me up to get my diploma like the girl in Willy Wonker! I have lost 15lbs and my daughter was recently accepted into the Disney College Program so now I have 2 big motivators-look good at graduation and be in shape for my Disney vaca this spring. So far so good, I can complete the "runs" (actually "wogs") and feel pretty good. I use my iPod with Nike+ to log the stats and listen to a podcast for the timing. Any other tips that you all have found to be helpful?

Kate

I can't believe I got past Week 3! I'm almost finished with Week 7 now! It's getting dark early but the weather's still above frigid so I'm taking a flashlight with me. It does feel a bit strange. I'm running 25 minutes consecutively now, and my knee occasionally aches a bit, but I'm giving myself plenty of rest between runs and I'm a bit slow. I'm "supposed" to be completing 2.5 miles in 25 minutes but I'm completing 2 miles in 25 minutes. This is still working for me, though. Time will improve with...time... In the meantime, I'm looking for programs to follow after C25K! Never thought I'd make it to that point! I found a 10K program that I intend to start, and then a Half-Marathon program after that, by Jeff Galloway. I'm excited! I just may be ready for a half-marathon by next May! That's still quite a ways away, though.

I found a neat app that my friend uses called Map My Run.

I just finished week 7! I'm wondering.....what does anyone do when you finish? I guess I could start some of Jeff Galloway's other stuff, but I'm not sure I want to do a half. At the moment, I think I'll be happy if I can just run a 5K in a decent time. I did my own run/walk program for a month before I started C25K and I did have to repeat a week. I don't know if I will ever consider myself a runner..........I still think it is a pain to get myself on the treadmill........but I'm doing it, and it looks like I'll finish the program next week. I am a little worried that I have a trip to WDW coming up in Dec (I know, how can I say that I'm worried about that?) and I'm afraid I won't continue my training that week and "fall off the wagon" so to speak. Good luck to everyone that is doing this program. I keep telling myself that no matter how slow I may go sometimes, the fact that I am off the couch is a HUGE step in the right direction!

I just finished week 7! I'm wondering.....what does anyone do when you finish? I guess I could start some of Jeff Galloway's other stuff, but I'm not sure I want to do a half. At the moment, I think I'll be happy if I can just run a 5K in a decent time. I did my own run/walk program for a month before I started C25K and I did have to repeat a week. I don't know if I will ever consider myself a runner..........I still think it is a pain to get myself on the treadmill........but I'm doing it, and it looks like I'll finish the program next week. I am a little worried that I have a trip to WDW coming up in Dec (I know, how can I say that I'm worried about that?) and I'm afraid I won't continue my training that week and "fall off the wagon" so to speak. Good luck to everyone that is doing this program. I keep telling myself that no matter how slow I may go sometimes, the fact that I am off the couch is a HUGE step in the right direction!

The app I used for C25K had a follow up called Bridge to 10K. You could try that if you want to increase your distance. If you keep running 3 times a week leading up to your Disney trip you will be ok if you miss one week. You will have enough of a base that it shouldn't affect you. Plus you will be doing lots of walking while at the World! You are definitely lapping everyone still on the couch! Way to go!

Congratulations! Yes; one week is not going to break your habit, although there are several running paths at the World. Plus, as mentioned above, you will be moving quite a lot! After the C25K, you can either work to decrease your time or increase your distance. I plan to use Jeff Galloway's 10K plan next after C25K is complete!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter