• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Couch to 5k

Hmm, well I failed the run after the 20 minute run. I ran the first 15 minutes with some difficulty and then the 3 minute walk was tough and after 5 minutes of the second run, I just hit a wall and could not continue. I am still so disgusted with myself and that was on friday! :furious: I have been in a funk all weekend and too embarrassed to come on here and tell you all about my failure. Now I realize it wasnt really a failure and my body just needs another few days to complete that run, but I cant get over it. I am so disappointed. I was all gung ho about downloading a 10k training app since I only have a few more runs till I should be able to run a 5k, but now I just dont want to. The wind has completely gone out of my sails, as they say.

Any helpful pointers on how to get over this kind of setback? :sad:

You just have to get back out and run! You are not going to have a great run every day. Each day is a new one, and forget about yesterday's run. You have every opportunity to make this next one a good one. The only way you fail is by not trying again!!! And something to think about for your actual run....before I did my first one, I couldn't run the whole thing in my practice runs. So you know what....I still went to the run and gave it my best shot. Did I run it all? No, but I finished. The second one I did....I couldn't run the whole thing either, but I beat my time by 5 minutes! Now, I'm training for a half marathon! You can do it, just get back out and run!!!

I've been meaning to start a program like this for some time now, but never "had" (made) time for it. But after joining the forum here and stumbling across this section I'm proud to say today was my W1D1. I downloaded the phone app, loaded my itunes into it and hit the gym. Thanks for the inspiration.

:yay::yay::yay:

Hmm, well I failed the run after the 20 minute run.

Any helpful pointers on how to get over this kind of setback? :sad:

I've said it somewhere else...maybe on this thread already? but I have never successfully done the 20 minute run during training. I made it up to about 18 minutes while I was in Florida, but I could never get past that 20 minute barrier. It really freaked me out and frustrated me as I approached my first Everest 5K - I didn't want to let my sister down.

Adrenaline is a powerful tool - I was able to run the whole thing in a pretty decent time (I did remark for the last mile or so that I was going to throw up, and my sister's response was no you're not, keep running) and then kept running around to the trivia spots. I did even worse (I felt) at training while back in Colorado this past year but still was able to run this past Everest 5K, again without stopping...this time I hadn't even made it up to 10 minute runs.

I still have days where I get frustrated by what seems like a setback, where I'm not as strong as I would have expected, but I have to remember that I am SO much stronger that when I first started these Disney races - the first time I started C25K I couldn't even do Week 1 - 60 seconds was WAY too long for me to run. Be kind to yourself, and remember how far you've come!:hug:

Well I am happy to report.... I did it! :cool1:

I altered the run slightly. I was supposed to run 15 -walk 3 -run 10, but I got a little paranoid about failing again. I added an extra 2 minutes of walking in the middle so I ended up with run 15- walk 5- run 10 and I added 2 minutes extra cool down since I was breathing rather heavy. The last 2 minutes were really really tough, so i am glad I added a little more walking. The next run is a 20 run- 3 walk- 5 run. I am confident I will be able to do that one. After running 20 minutes, 5 more minutes should be easy, right? :rotfl2: Guess I'll find out! :bitelip:
After that run, we are done with breaks in the middle. Time to starting working up my time. :crazy2:

I altered the run slightly. I was supposed to run 15 -walk 3 -run 10, but I got a little paranoid about failing again. I added an extra 2 minutes of walking in the middle so I ended up with run 15- walk 5- run 10 and I added 2 minutes extra cool down since I was breathing rather heavy. The last 2 minutes were really really tough, so i am glad I added a little more walking. The next run is a 20 run- 3 walk- 5 run. I am confident I will be able to do that one. After running 20 minutes, 5 more minutes should be easy, right? :rotfl2: Guess I'll find out! :bitelip:
After that run, we are done with breaks in the middle. Time to starting working up my time. :crazy2:

Way to get back on the horse!!!! :cheer2:

Way to go! That's better than giving up. You're such an inspiration for me since I haven't started the program yet. I signed up for a Good form running class at our local running store. They also have a couch to 5k class, but I missed the deadline. I plan on taking it in the spring and they automatically sign you up for a local race at the end. Something for me to look forward to and can shed some pounds.

Way to stick with it! Better to make some modifications than throw in the towel. Don't worry, it doesn't seem like it in the beginning, but it does get easier. I started with C25K last spring and I am now training for my first marathon. So far my longest distance is 15 miles. Later this week I have 17 miles on the training plan.

Just getting ready for week 3 of C25K.
I am trying.
Hate exercise, but at 52 have to do SOMETHING...

Ugh. Major fail. This is my 2nd time trying C25K and I'm lagging once again at same spot.

Week #4

I tried last night. I really did, but just couldn't finish. Day One called for:

1/4 mile jogging
1/8 mile walking
1/2 mile jogging (KILLED me!)
1/4 mile walking
1/4 mile jogging
1/8 mile walking
1/2 mile jogging (THIS is where I quit.)

I just couldn't take doing another 1/2 mile on top of what I had already done. The walking does not rest me adequately. My legs were like jelly and I felt faint. Not sure why I can't seem to progress past this. I've been working on this since April and was making good progress, but I always get hung up on this week.

I cannot even fathom trying Week #5!

threeboysmom said:
Ugh. Major fail. This is my 2nd time trying C25K and I'm lagging once again at same spot.

Week #4

I tried last night. I really did, but just couldn't finish. Day One called for:

1/4 mile jogging
1/8 mile walking
1/2 mile jogging (KILLED me!)
1/4 mile walking
1/4 mile jogging
1/8 mile walking
1/2 mile jogging (THIS is where I quit.)

I just couldn't take doing another 1/2 mile on top of what I had already done. The walking does not rest me adequately. My legs were like jelly and I felt faint. Not sure why I can't seem to progress past this. I've been working on this since April and was making good progress, but I always get hung up on this week.

I cannot even fathom trying Week #5!

I always do the time option as opposed to the distance option. To me it feel easier knowing I am done in 30 seconds rather than another 500 yards.

Hang in there. You can push past this hurdle!!

I always do the time option as opposed to the distance option. To me it feel easier knowing I am done in 30 seconds rather than another 500 yards.

I do time as well. I started out with distance and it was too hard to judge the next marker (when I was running outside). Then it got hot out and I stopped. I restarted c25k on the treadmill a few weeks back.

On that note, I have successfully completed my last run with a break in between (w7d1). It took 2 weeks to finally beat that sucker, but I did!:cool1: Monday I get to run 26 minutes straight! :scared1: At my speed, that is 2 and 1/8 miles. :crazy2:

Ug, is it normal to have "off" days? My past two runs have been amazing. i was able to do 6minutes without stop, and the next, eight. (believe me, eight minutes for me is a big deal) Today, I wasn't able to go eight minutes without feeling like crap. I'm wondering if I should try again later today, or just try tomorrow evening?

Ug, is it normal to have "off" days? My past two runs have been amazing. i was able to do 6minutes without stop, and the next, eight. (believe me, eight minutes for me is a big deal) Today, I wasn't able to go eight minutes without feeling like crap. I'm wondering if I should try again later today, or just try tomorrow evening?

I have had bad days here and there and even some runs that took a long time to finally complete. W7D1 took three tries to complete for example. Taking a day or two or three days off seems to work best for me.

Even experienced runners have off days. It happens. Just move on to the next day. I find somethimes taking a few days off helps too. Just don't let it get you down.

Thanks. I run on a track so for me it's easier to go by distance (number of laps) than bring a timer with me and keep resetting it.

Last night I completed Week #4, Day #1 (3rd attempt at it, lol). It was tough though. I honestly thought I was going to puke doing the last 1/2 mile (sorry!)

I'm already dreading going back to the track on Thursday, lol. I'm a lost cause. I think I'm going to stay at Week #4 for a couple of weeks at least until it's not quite so hard to accomplish. I don't want my running time to become a "dreaded" time.

I started today! And it wasn't that bad. Of course it was the first day! I love reading all your inspirational stories! Any tips for someone just beginning?

I started today! And it wasn't that bad. Of course it was the first day! I love reading all your inspirational stories! Any tips for someone just beginning?

Congrats on getting going! C25K is a great way to start running. Some weeks may seem harder than others, but it does get easier and the pay off in the end is sooooo worth it!

Ugh. I'm stuck! I cannot get to that 26 minute marker. 20 minutes is still tough, so after that I am just done. I have decided to "quit" C25K and go it alone from here on out. Today I ran 20 minutes straight and then switched to distance. After the 20 minutes, I walked to complete the lap I was on and then walked a 1/4 mile on top of that. Then I ran for 1/2 mile and then walked for 10 minutes. My hope is that doing that exact run all week will make the 20 minutes easier. Depending on how I am feeling I might try for 26 next week or maybe just do a 21 minute run then the 1/2 mile and work up the 30 minutes slowly.

The good thing is that I keep going back. I have not run so many days in my life! :lmao:

Ugh. I'm stuck! I cannot get to that 26 minute marker. 20 minutes is still tough, so after that I am just done. I have decided to "quit" C25K and go it alone from here on out. Today I ran 20 minutes straight and then switched to distance. After the 20 minutes, I walked to complete the lap I was on and then walked a 1/4 mile on top of that. Then I ran for 1/2 mile and then walked for 10 minutes. My hope is that doing that exact run all week will make the 20 minutes easier. Depending on how I am feeling I might try for 26 next week or maybe just do a 21 minute run then the 1/2 mile and work up the 30 minutes slowly.

The good thing is that I keep going back. I have not run so many days in my life! :lmao:

How fast are you running? Maybe try slowing down a bit and see if you can run longer. That's what got me over the edge, so to speak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter