• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Couch to 5k

Good idea - I have actually been running faster, so I'll try slowing down and see how it goes. My DH also pointed out I tend to stop sometimes because I'm tired and should just try to push through it and see that I can go further even if I'm tired or bored.
Those are both my big problems...I can't keep a pace, always go too fast, and my brain wants me to stop basically all the time. I'm so not a runner...
I'm going to be trying this workout...I'm nervous since I am NOT a runner. My goal is to do the Expedition Everest Challenge in May. I can walk and walk but I can't run for any length of time. Let's hope I can do it!
That's how I started - wanted to be able to actually RUN the EEC with my sister, since she intended to run the whole time. I've now done it twice, and both times it was the furthest and longest time I have ever run. I've never made it to the end of the couch to 5K program (never even managed the 20 minute run) but adrenaline and a friend by you really helps make you capable!

Tomorrow is w5d3 and I am getting nervous. I wasn't sure if I wanted to puck or cry during the last 3 minutes of w5d2, but it wasn't pleasant. I have always gotten injured or sidetracked in the past with c25k, so this is the farthest I have ever gotten. (I think I have started the program 10-15 times in the past.) I think I will survive tomorrow ok, but I have the dreaded 20 minutes coming up next week. My goal was to complete that milestone before our trip (although it seems we will have to cancel our trip now, but that is another story!) Any tips? I have been using a treadmill (at a 5mph "run") since it has been so hot out. I figure once I get to 30 minutes, I will take a week and up my speed to a 6 slowly. Anyway I tried watching a movie in my iPad. It wasn't distracting enough (music stopped distracting me a week ago). Tomorrow I am going to try a podcast (always used to distract me in the past).

Everything hurts when I run, but nothing stands out as injured and it all fades after I stop running for a bit, so I think it is more of a mental roadblock causing me trouble.

Raenstoirm said:
Tomorrow is w5d3 and I am getting nervous. I wasn't sure if I wanted to puck or cry during the last 3 minutes of w5d2, but it wasn't pleasant. I have always gotten injured or sidetracked in the past with c25k, so this is the farthest I have ever gotten. (I think I have started the program 10-15 times in the past.) I think I will survive tomorrow ok, but I have the dreaded 20 minutes coming up next week. My goal was to complete that milestone before our trip (although it seems we will have to cancel our trip now, but that is another story!) Any tips? I have been using a treadmill (at a 5mph "run") since it has been so hot out. I figure once I get to 30 minutes, I will take a week and up my speed to a 6 slowly. Anyway I tried watching a movie in my iPad. It wasn't distracting enough (music stopped distracting me a week ago). Tomorrow I am going to try a podcast (always used to distract me in the past).

Everything hurts when I run, but nothing stands out as injured and it all fades after I stop running for a bit, so I think it is more of a mental roadblock causing me trouble.

Have you tried slowing down? I am far from being an expert, but I usually have to slow my pace to run for a solid period of time. I usually use the Galloway run/walk intervals. Every week I extend the running portion by about 30 seconds. I find that I can go farther and my pace is actually slightly better than when I run straight through.

W5D3- treadmill- 5mph run, 3mph walk
Not to jinx myself, but that was "easy." Well the first 9 minutes flew by at least. I put a towel over the treadmill monitor, turned on my podcast and off I went. Then I made that fatal mistake. The 9 minutes went by too easily so I checked my watch to make sure the app wasn't malfunctioning. (it wasnt). But after my brain realized I had on a watch, it kept telling me to check it every 10 seconds. "how much longer do we have? how much longer do we have?" Over and over again. I hate that voice in my head!!! :rotfl: So the following 5 minute run and 2 minute run were not fun. It wasnt physically hard, but I almost lost the mental battle. :rolleyes1 I am going to have to ditch the watch from now on!

I did notice one thing....my mid back started to hurt a bit (just below the bra line- diaphragm maybe??). It is the first time that has happened (usually my knees are the painful point). I tried to adjust my arm movements to compensate and I think I ended up hurting my right shoulder doing so (it aches now). I am hoping it is just a fluke. And I dont run again till monday, so I am sure my shoulder will recover by then as well. Has that happened to anyone else?

Happy healing and feel better soon! After reading a couple of books, I keep worrying about throwing out a muscle or something. I'm a little cautious but sometimes in the heat of the jog, I become a little sloppy. I try to maintain good form because I hear that there are so many injuries that occur during running. I wonder why.

I just finished Week 3 today. I've tried this twice before and I haven't gotten past Week 3. Week 4 seems daunting. I'm chronicling the journey with my friend (long-distance) here.

Tomorrow is w5d3 and I am getting nervous. I wasn't sure if I wanted to puck or cry during the last 3 minutes of w5d2, but it wasn't pleasant. I have always gotten injured or sidetracked in the past with c25k, so this is the farthest I have ever gotten. (I think I have started the program 10-15 times in the past.) I think I will survive tomorrow ok, but I have the dreaded 20 minutes coming up next week.

I understand completely - this sounds exactly like me! Even though I've never been able to do the 20 minutes when training, I have run the Everest 5K twice - adrenaline sure helps! I'm jumping back into c25K again this coming week.

W6D1 complete! :cool1: And it honestly wasnt hard. As crazy as that sounds! On to the dreaded 20 minutes! :eek:

I'm screaming inside! Congratulations--you're almost there!!! You've climbed a mountain, you've crossed a river, and you're almost there!

After my injury I'm getting back on the horse. I had to stop last week at week 4, rested a week and tried it yesterday. Woo, week four is hard! I didn't want to do too much, so I didn't complete it. I think I ran the first two four minute intervals and did the rest at two minutes. I think I'll be doing week 4 for a while

I started week 2 over again... I was able to do all the intervals, which is way better than when I started! I don't know that I can do a 3 minute run right yet, so I will stay on week 2 for this week.

Way to go to all of those starting or restarting C25K! :cheer2: It's a great way to ease into running! I did it last spring and am now training for my first marathon. Keep with it and don't worry if you repeat weeks. Some weeks are harder than others. You will get there!

20 minute run complete!! :cheer2::woohoo::dance3::jumping1:party:

Can you tell I am excited??

I started off with a towel blocking the treadmill screen, but that was driving me crazy so I took it off. I decided to focus not on the time left but on the distance. I run at a 5 so I know each lap is 3 minutes. So I focused on running 7 laps. The timer told me to stop before I finished the 7th. I could have easily finished that last lap, but since I am completing the week tomorrow, I didnt want to push it.

As for those just starting, I am not going to say it gets easier, but it does get "more tolerable." ;) Week 5 nearly did me in, but it is all down hill from here. If I can do it, you can do it!! :cheer2:

I've been meaning to start a program like this for some time now, but never "had" (made) time for it. But after joining the forum here and stumbling across this section I'm proud to say today was my W1D1. I downloaded the phone app, loaded my itunes into it and hit the gym. Thanks for the inspiration.

I've been meaning to start a program like this for some time now, but never "had" (made) time for it. But after joining the forum here and stumbling across this section I'm proud to say today was my W1D1. I downloaded the phone app, loaded my itunes into it and hit the gym. Thanks for the inspiration.

YAAY! Good job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter