Could you tell me why....

cherokeemamma

DIS Veteran
Hi Guys,

You guys do a great job on the restaurant reviews but there is something I just don't understand.....

Is there a particular reason that there isn't a dining establishment in the WDW resort that serves sweet tea?

I am from the great state of GA and you can purchase sweet tea in almost every resturant here -from fast food to fancy. You might have heard that sweet tea is the house wine of the south and being that Fl is the southern most southern state..what is up with that?:confused3

Mickey's Backyard BBQ, WCC at WL, and the 50's PTC (for example), well they all just scream for sweet tea. I guarantee that people would just love it; I know my family would. Could you tell me why or at least tell the powers that be to make some sweet tea!!!;)

Thanks Ya'll!!!

TTFN,
Darlene

BTW, love the podcast!!!:thumbsup2

They used to serve it at several different locations. I think it was just last year sometime that they stopped serving it all together...maybe the overall demand wasn't equal to the extra time it took to prepare. If you will have a car with you, there are some grocery stores in the area that sell sweet tea. Maybe someone that has tried it can chime in with more info.

there are a couple places that still serve sweet tea, I think trails end does... and I got it somewhere else... but it does not spring to mind.

Cause Florida isn't the real south. You have the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennesee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc, and then there is Florida which is completely separate.

Besides, sweet tea doesn't work with the "Pirates of the Carribean" water from Florida. It's best with the Small world water of NC.

I wish they did, though. Cause I never want sweet tea when I'm at home in NC, but when I'm on vacation somewhere I can't get it, I want it, of course :]

I truly dont have a clue, but then I'm a Sweet N Low boy...and Disney doesnt like that either. I have to bring my own.

I know this is going to sound weird but northern Florida is part of "the South" but central and south Flrorida are all transported Northeners and we dont understand sweet tea.

I mean we understand it....I dont need the recipe....but we dont get it. A Northener will just tell you to put some sugar in your tea and move on.

My best answer is that I would guess that the demand just wasnt there.

Kevin

I mean we understand it....I dont need the recipe....but we dont get it. A Northener will just tell you to put some sugar in your tea and move on.

Kevin

I read this post and couldn't figure out how to word exactly what you said...thank you!

FWIW I think Sweet Tea is more deserving of needing a side order of insulin than a Dole Whip. ;)

I know this is going to sound weird but northern Florida is part of "the South" but central and south Flrorida are all transported Northeners and we dont understand sweet tea.

Kevin

Yep, that's what it is! Below Gainesville/Ocala you won't find sweet tea too much, that's where the south stops & the north picks up again! Northerners just don't understand you can't add sugar to iced tea, it doesn't melt!

I'm hoping that the McDonald's over by the All Star Resorts will have it so I can get a glass every morning at least! I go in April so I'll let you know!

The Hard Rock Cafe @ US used to serve it (it's been a few years since we ate there) and I had an experience that should have been captured on video: half our party was from NC, the other half from WA...we ordered regular tea, they ordered sweet tea and of course the server accidentally switched the orders. We all basically took the first drink at about the same time and the looks on our faces was equal to a "Beverly" moment (IMHO). It was all I could do to keep from spitting the stuff across the table! No offense to the sweet tea lovers of the world -- but it is definitely an acquired taste.

I read this post and couldn't figure out how to word exactly what you said...thank you!

FWIW I think Sweet Tea is more deserving of needing a side order of insulin than a Dole Whip. ;)
I agree. I like my tea without sugar. Sweet tea is just yucky.

Not a southern gal but I know the answer to this one! I was a fanatic for the sweet tea at Liberty Tree Tavern. I always looked forward to it and then -poof-one visit they no longer had it. The waiter told me all the sweet sugar in the tea attracted little fruit type flies and they were no longer permitted to make it!

Have you have been west on I4 and stopped anywhere in Polk county? I think most residents of Polk county would consider themselves southerners and i'm sure it wouldn't take you long to agree and drive very quickly back to Orlando.:rotfl: Let's just say the sweet tea our grandmother's make can be poured on your pancakes the next morning!:rotfl2: And OP: You can get a gallon of sweet tea from Publix in the deli area, I don't drink sweet tea but my sister and husband love it!

I was thinking exactly what Kevin wrote...put some sugar in your tea and get on with it!

I am from Texas and I'm a sweet n' low gal. Bring my own to Disney because they don't stock it. I would say over the past year here in Texas there are more and more restaurants now asking if you want sweet or unsweet tea. Guess the South is moving West.

Liberty Tree Tavern served AWESOME sweet tea the last time I was there in February 2006!! I know that was a while ago, but they might still have it!!

Speaking from about 20 miles south of the Mason-Dixon line, that Sir, is absolute BLASPHEMY! <grumble, grumble, grumble> It's just not the same!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

As I said....we just dont get it.... but then you like grits too. Whats up with that?:rotfl2:

<cough>pork roll</cough>

I have to laugh because we just moved south of Richmond two years ago from Connecticut. I've grown used to the sweet tea, but what floored me the first time I walked into the local Walmart was the microwavable pork rinds. Like microwavable popcorn, but PORK RINDS! I got on my cell phone right there and called my friend in CT to tell her about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter