Could you tell me why....

I have to laugh because we just moved south of Richmond two years ago from Connecticut. I've grown used to the sweet tea, but what floored me the first time I walked into the local Walmart was the microwavable pork rinds. Like microwavable popcorn, but PORK RINDS! I got on my cell phone right there and called my friend in CT to tell her about it.

Yeah, I've seen those, too. They're just scary! :crazy2:

I have to laugh because we just moved south of Richmond two years ago from Connecticut. I've grown used to the sweet tea, but what floored me the first time I walked into the local Walmart was the microwavable pork rinds. Like microwavable popcorn, but PORK RINDS! I got on my cell phone right there and called my friend in CT to tell her about it.

DON'T...I repeat DON'T buy them! They emit an aroma similar to a certain illegal leafy drug.

12 steps to making proper Southern sweet tea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Get your tea pot out of the cabinet or off the drying rack.
Note: a tea pot is not to be confused with a tea kettle. It is a regular pot that you only use for making tea.
2. Get out 4 tea bags, open the wrappers, and be certain not to tear off the paper tabs.
3. Twist them around each other a few times and clip to the pot handle using a clothes pin.
4. Fill pot 3/4 full, put on the stove, and turn burner to high.
5. Wait for tea to boil.
Note: Do NOT leave the stove when making tea. Tell Lois or Eula Mae that you will call them back after you make your tea.
6. While you are waiting for your tea to boil, rinse out your pitcher. NEVER let your pitcher soak in soapy water. Soap flavored tea anyone?
7. Put two cups of sugar in your pitcher.
8. If your tea is still not boiling, go ahead and get your glass out of the cabinet, but don't put the ice in yet.
9. When tea starts to boil, IMMEDIATELY remove it from the stove; you don't want your tea bags to bust.
10. Pour tea into the pitcher and stir with a wooden spoon.
11. I put the tea bags back in the pot and fill up the pot with cold water and gently press on the bags with the wooden spoon being careful not to bust the bags, then pour into the pitcher.
12. Repeat 11 until your pitcher is full. Fill your glass with ice, pour yourself some tea, and put the pitcher in the fridge.

If you are expecting company, or if it's Sunday, rinse your pot and start another batch. Otherwise, immediately wash your pot and have it in the ready.

I think when I'm old and gray(er) I'm gonna move to FL and set up a sweet tea stand at the corner of 192 and World Drive. :lmao:

<cough>pork roll</cough>

Hey! Pork Roll, egg and cheese on a hard roll with ketchup is the breakfast of champions where I'm from! Nothing better to soak up the alcohol when you're rolling outta the bars at 2AM.

I don't get the sweet tea thing either. It never fails, when ever I'm in GA on business and I order iced tea, unsweeten, I get looked at like I'm a heathen. I'm from Jersey, we don't get the sweet tea thing!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: a tea pot is not to be confused with a tea kettle. It is a regular pot that you only use for making tea.
2. Get out 4 tea bags, open the wrappers, and be certain not to tear off the paper tabs.
3. Twist them around each other a few times and clip to the pot handle using a clothes pin.
5. Wait for tea to boil.
Note: Do NOT leave the stove when making tea. Tell Lois or Eula Mae that you will call them back after you make your tea.
6. While you are waiting for your tea to boil, rinse out your pitcher. NEVER let your pitcher soak in soapy water. Soap flavored tea anyone?
8. If your tea is still not boiling, go ahead and get your glass out of the cabinet, but don't put the ice in yet.
9. When tea starts to boil, IMMEDIATELY remove it from the stove; you don't want your tea bags to bust.
11. I put the tea bags back in the pot and fill up the pot with cold water and gently press on the bags with the wooden spoon being careful not to bust the bags, then pour into the pitcher.
12. Repeat 11 until your pitcher is full. Fill your glass with ice, pour yourself some tea, and put the pitcher in the fridge.

If you are expecting company, or if it's Sunday, rinse your pot and start another batch. Otherwise, immediately wash your pot and have it in the ready.

I think when I'm old and gray(er) I'm gonna move to FL and set up a sweet tea stand at the corner of 192 and World Drive. :lmao:
You forgot to add in additional step for the Podcast and fans...

pixiedust: To make this into a Disney sweet tea invite your favorite Southerner (preferably from NC) to make this in your Disney resort room (prefer a condo, townhouse/house rental, or DVC villa to prepare this Southern house wine in a kitchen/ette).

5. Wait for tea to boil.

Lordy that's a lot of steps!! I just make mine in the microwave!!!

You forgot to add in additional step for the Podcast and fans...

pixiedust: To make this into a Disney sweet tea invite your favorite Southerner (preferably from NC) to make this in your Disney resort room (prefer a condo, townhouse/house rental, or DVC villa to prepare this Southern house wine in a kitchen/ette).

:rotfl:

I have often joked about setting up a sweet tea distillery in one of the rooms at the former Holiday Inn Nikki Bird.

I'm probably gonna have to pack my tea pot for our trip in May seeings how the DVC units probably aren't equipped with a pot fit for making proper tea. Do you think I will make it through airport security with my tea pot? ;)

As I said....we just dont get it.... but then you like grits too. Whats up with that?:rotfl2:

You fight dirty. :lmao: Unfortunately, this is something I cannot deny. While I personally do not like grits, I come from a grits eating family. All I can say is that at least we don't like buckwheat cakes (yes there is such a thing, and we feed them to people we want to go back north). <shudder>

Two cups of sugar???

Are you making tea or tea pudding?

And would someone pass AnnetteVA a cough drop? I'm sure she's not ridiculing my beloved pork roll. :lmao:

Two cups of sugar???

And would someone pass AnnetteVA a cough drop? I'm sure she's not ridiculing my beloved pork roll. :lmao:

Pssst....don't tell any of my fellow Southerners, but I only use 1 1/4 cups of sugar per gallon of tea and I only tea drink it on special occassions.

Two cups of sugar???

:rotfl: Never! :angel:

And, yeah, I can't imagine 2 cups of sugar! I use a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker which has a 3 qt pitcher and I use a cup of Splenda for that.

Pssst....don't tell any of my fellow Southerners, but I only use 1 1/4 cups of sugar per gallon of tea and I only tea drink it on special occassions.

I think I used 3/4 cup of sugar to ? cups of water, 4 tea bags in a 5 qt. pot...its been a long time since I made a batch for NC Beast.

Kevin---whats wrong with grits?

G.R.I.T.S.--- Girls raised in the South

Yes, we eat grits in this house. I prefer it to oatmeal as a breakfast (or dinner) choice with real butter.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

As I said....we just dont get it.... but then you like grits too. Whats up with that?:rotfl2:

MMMMMM....boy they're great! Versatile too, for a breakfast side dish add butter, salt & pepper and serve them with eggs & bacon/sausage or for dinner add cheese and serve with fish (any seafood) & hushpuppies! :thumbsup2

As far as tea in the microwave, just put a family size tea bag in a microwave proof container & zap it for about 5 minutes, let it steep for about 10 minutes & then pour in a pitcher with your sugar. Nothing better on a hot day for sure!! And guess what......tea goes great with grits!
:rotfl2:

Ok, I'm in Maine and you can't be much more North or more of a Yank....

Did you say TWO CUPS of sugar? Am I reading that correctly? So this sweet tea concoction is also known as heart attack in a cup? I know I have said this before...but we really need a vomiting smiley! :rotfl2: :rotfl:

I am not sure what grits are, but the thought of them scares me silly. And collard greens...not sure what the heck those are either. :confused3

And seriously....why can't you just put sugar in regular tea? Why all the fuss? I mean, I make iced tea often in the summer...and I just add *some* sugar (like maybe a couple of tablespoons for a whole pitcher!)...and it dissolves!

Kevin is dead-on with this on...I really just don't get it. :confused:

So, in order to get the 2 CUPS of sugar to go into solution, you would have to heat it up. A NORMAL amount of sugar would dissolve into the tea, but you are making a SYRUP, or a SUPERSATURATED solution of sugar and tea. Might just as well chug a bottle of Karo syrup...

By the way, I kinda like grits...and collard greens (it's really just like cabbage and kale).

McDonalds in Chicago is now selling Sweet Tea. I can't vouch for how it's made, Southern style & proper, but it makes this midwesterner very happy.

I am never sure if people from Illinois (Chicago) are officially considered Yankees? I don't feel like one??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter