Could you tell me why....

I happened to be in the grocery store and all this talk of sweet tea had me craving it. I found sweet tea in a bottle-made by Arizona Iced Tea. I love sweet tea but this was just super sweet with a wierd taste. Unless I make my own-Im not getting any good sweet tea around here in NJ-no good grits here either. I must have been a southerner in another life!

Hey ya'll. I think this is my first post (I've been lurking (a little) since August). I just had to respond to this thread. I'm from Mobile, AL, and I need my sweet tea! When I was at Disney in August, Trail's End had sweet tea. And Chik-fil-a has AMAZING sweet tea. Unfortunately, my mother and grandmother have diabetes, so I've actually gotten used to dinking sugar free sweet tea. What's that you say?

Boil 1 cup of water in microwave
Remove and place 1 regular size LIPTON teabag in water,
Steep for EXACTLY 5 minutes (Any shorter and it's too watery, any longer and it's too bitter)
Place 1/4 cup SPLENDA in 2 cup measuring cup
Pour tea into measuring cup
Pour 1 cup cold water into measuring cup
Fill glass FULL with ice
Pour tea over Ice
Enjoy

You can multiply this recipe for however much tea you need.

I personally only make it one tea bag at the time (if I'm the only one drinking it) because I don't like drinking tea if it is more than a couple of hours old.\

As for grits, I love mine with a lot of cheese and crumbled bacon. It's great for breakfast or supper.

Hey ya'll. I think this is my first post (I've been lurking (a little) since August). I just had to respond to this thread. I'm from Mobile, AL, and I need my sweet tea! When I was at Disney in August, Trail's End had sweet tea. And Chik-fil-a has AMAZING sweet tea. Unfortunately, my mother and grandmother have diabetes, so I've actually gotten used to dinking sugar free sweet tea. What's that you say?

Boil 1 cup of water in microwave
Remove and place 1 regular size LIPTON teabag in water,
Steep for EXACTLY 5 minutes (Any shorter and it's too watery, any longer and it's too bitter)
Place 1/4 cup SPLENDA in 2 cup measuring cup
Pour tea into measuring cup
Pour 1 cup cold water into measuring cup
Fill glass FULL with ice
Pour tea over Ice
Enjoy

You can multiply this recipe for however much tea you need.

I personally only make it one tea bag at the time (if I'm the only one drinking it) because I don't like drinking tea if it is more than a couple of hours old.\

As for grits, I love mine with a lot of cheese and crumbled bacon. It's great for breakfast or supper.

:welcome: Welcome! I have a lot of extended family throughout Alabama, but it has been years since my last visit.

Iced tea of any variety is just too dang hard to find in WDW. I had a thread about it in the main board last week.

And two cups ain't nothin. While I agree that Florida isn't "real" south..I used to work at a Morrison's Cafeteria (now Piccadilly) back in high school...to make our sweet tea we used GALLON bags. The tea container size? Four gallons. Four gallons of tea. One gallon of sugar. You do the math. :eek:

Funny thing is...all of us who made the beverages, we got a *Lot* of complaints it wasn't sweet enough....Go figure that. Every complaint=another gallon bag. One night a customer searched me out to tell me I make the "best tea in the world". It was a 3 bag night!!!:rotfl2:

Also...sweet tea with granulated- undissolved- sugar not the same. So even though I drink unsweetened...I feel your pain, OP!:thumbsup2

I grew up drinking typical syrupy sweet tea. My mom also made it as strong as coffee. When I went to college I started making it weaker...i.e. regular strength!

After college I started using sweet-n-low because so many Atlanta area restaurants only offered unsweetened tea and I ate lunch in a restaurant every day and many evening meals in one with my fiancé. I drank a full gallon a day at home plus what I drank in restaurants. That's a lot of saccharine! So I gradually started weaning my self off of the sweet-n-low by adding less and less to the glass of tea and soon I realized that tea taste pretty good without the sweetener!

So now I am the enigma: a southern man that drinks unsweetened iced tea. BTW, you can not dissolve real sugar in iced tea once lemon has been added to the tea...even if it was just placed in the glass and it wasn't squeezed into the tea; don't ask me why, I don't know. I just know it doesn't work.

And yes, I love grits, especially with cheese and chopped bacon in it.

I am never sure if people from Illinois (Chicago) are officially considered Yankees? I don't feel like one??
As for folks from Chicago, I think they are considered "mid-westerners" not Yankees. At least that's what we thought they were called in south Georgia where I grew up. Of course, a friend of my Dad's thinks anyone from north of Deland is a Yankee!

pardon me ahead of time, i am from nj :) ... but how does this tea come out tasting different than regular iced tea with sugar in it? just because the sugar is dissolved more? what does it taste like! my mind is boggled!!! does it taste like snapple? because i love snapple! At the OklahomER exhibit at food and wine they had some awesome iced tea.

as well as this.. what is with the white gravy on the biscuits? i dont get it! biscuits come with butter! :)

:hippie:

pardon me ahead of time, i am from nj :) ... but how does this tea come out tasting different than regular iced tea with sugar in it? just because the sugar is dissolved more? what does it taste like! my mind is boggled!!! does it taste like snapple? because i love snapple! At the OklahomER exhibit at food and wine they had some awesome iced tea.

as well as this.. what is with the white gravy on the biscuits? i dont get it! biscuits come with butter! :)

:hippie:

I usually make sweeten iced ted by following one of Todd Wilbur's cookbooks that suppose to be cloning Snapple. (Top Secret Recipes series)

Sugar does not/will not/can't/won't dissolve in a glass of iced tea. If you order iced tea & it comes unsweetened your only hope of getting it sweet is adding the pink, blue or yellow packets to it. If I can't have real sweet tea I'd rather drink water.

BTW, biscuits do taste best with butter.....and some fig. mayhaw or scuppernong
preserves. YUM!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter