Creative TR Title Here! (Baby's First Trip)

nadira36

DIS Veteran
Feel free to read my PTR!

Quick links! I love Quick Links! But I always forget to use them :rotfl2:

Day One: Time to get up, time to get moving AK Traveling
Day Two: First park day AK
Day Three: It's time to see the castle!
Day Four: Back to AK
Day Five: Tears, tears, and more tears!
Day Six: Epcot!
Day Seven: It's Party Time!
Day Eight: We'll call this Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Day Nine: We don't want to go!

Here's a quick refresher for those that read my PTR, and a quick intro for those that didn't.

DH is Ryan, holding our little guy, Brom. You may notice a disboards shirt, he's not actually on here b/c he couldn't get the user name he wanted. :confused3 This shirt may have caused some confusion a couple times during our trip.

Brom's 1st birthday was 2 days prior to our trip, This trip was all about him! The seasoned WDW travellers are, From left to right, Ella, Cordelia, and Agatha. Then there's me, Sarah.

First day Aug 26th, 2014 coming up next.

Bright and early, well early anyway, our Donald Alarm quacked off telling us to get up! 2:30AM :scared1: Time to catch a flight. pixiedust:

Flying out of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada meant we had a very long day ahead of us.

We made it out the door in record time! 30 min from wake up to driving! It was a miracle! pixiedust: pixiedust:

Ryan's Auntie said she'd drive us to the airport so we wouldn't need to park. Things were looking great! Until, disaster struck!

Okay, not a disaster, but a closed road, with no way to turn around :sad: Giant pieces of machinery needed to head down the wrong side of the high way due to being too tall for the underpass. Which meant we were at a standstill with a screaming, crying baby for 15 minutes. Aggggh that was painful! But we finally got moving and still had close to 20 min extra time. We were doing great.

Until we got to the town Our Auntie lives in. Our map stopped working, and the directions didn't make sense. 15 minutes later we're still driving around trying to find a house in the dark that neither one of us has been to in years.

Just as I plugged her number into the phone, we found her place. We were off to the airport, Disneyland Fun (sing-a-long) playing in the back.

It was smooth sailing until security. Apparently the tired family with 4 children looks suspicious. Ryan and I were separated - and the kids were ushered away to some different seat (in sight). I was patted down, hands in pants and everything :worried: Our passports were removed from our possession and a pile of security people all started talking to each other. Did I mention we paid for a seat for our newly ONE year old?

Well apparently paying for a seat for a baby that could be free is suspicious. :confused: so our bags were searched, shoes were extra carefully checked, the stink eye was given, then we were finally allowed to go through. It was totally bizarre.

We have celiac's disease, yep the WHOLE family, so I packed a breakfast for us, (n)oatmeal, fruit, water, and milk. No problems. We all had full tummies and it was almost flight time.

All buckled up in his CARES harness - this is the best invention EVER! Instead of hauling a full carseat around, this little harness fits over the plane seat and keeps the toddler buckled up during take-off/landing. (good from 22lbs to 40lbs) Big sister Ella helping keep him calm.

Let's Go!!​

We flew into Houston, our preferred lay-over because Papadeaux's is great with Gluten-free food. Our friends D.D. and her family were traveling with us, they joined us for the meal. 6 wired kids at one table just about did me in, but we managed to survive long enough to pay the bill. By then I had a pounding, splitting headache. Lack of sleep does that to me. I needed coffee. With another 1.5 hours before our connecting flight, I had plenty of time to walk to the next terminal to find Starbucks. I must have been tired, I tripped and fell roughly every 5 steps, but once I had my coffee I felt much more human. The second flight was much better.

We arrived at MCO, went down to the ME, said see ya later to D.D. and her family (they stayed at Pop for the first part of their stay) and straight onto a bus. We chatted with a lovely family on a surprise first trip. Then we were off. The new ME video threw us off a bit, but we liked it.

Port Orleans Riverside!

It was dark on check-in, but here's a lovely view from the next morning.

Check in was smooth, but I was slightly disappointed with the location of our room, though in all fairness it was what I requested. I just wanted close to a bus, that did not look at peoples' cars. Oh well. The room itself was lovely. MUCH bigger than I feared.

We have a giant double buggy plus a ton of suitcases, 5 plus baby meant we weren't sure we'd fit. But everything was surprisingly comfy. Dh and Ella slept on one bed, Agatha and Cordelia slept on the pull-out and Brom and I got the other bed. Co-sleeping, nursing baby needs lots of space.

Our only complaint was that accessing the room with a buggy without going up/down stairs was tricky. It took us 3 days to find the ramp! :rotfl2: Luckily we were on the ground floor!

We raced to get food, being gluten-free means our ability to get food at the resort often ends 2 hours prior to everyone else (depending on the chef) sometimes they shut off the friers, and close the gluten-free portion of the kitchen early. Luckily that wasn't the case this time. We ordered burgers for everyone b/c it was fast and easy.

Went to pay, MB denied, over limit. :scared1: :sad: :furious: We had no other money/cards with us b/c we forgot to bring them from the room. But saints from the UK said, "Hey we check out in the AM and have tons of dining credits left, let us pay for you!"

Those two people saved my night and kept my children from completely melting down. I couldn't thank them enough!

Everyone ate, then we broke the news to the girls, it was too late, we were too tired, we weren't swimming. :sad: Yep, they all cried, but with minimal other objection, they climbed into bed. Almost 20 hours after we woke up.

We were at Disney. All was right in our world! :cloud9:

Hello Sarah :wave2:!!! I was so hoping you'd do a TR so I could hear about your trip, since we were down there at the same time. It'll be fun to get your POV and see how much it differs or is the same as ours :)

So first, WOW! Not such a fun experience at the airport! That'll teach you to spend $$ you don't really need to spend lol. And how well did that work out at the POR food court with the extra meal credits that couple gave to you??? It's crazy that for all the MB's are supposed to allow us to do, you STILL have to make sure you have another form of payment on you at all times........

Now, I was going to wait until you started posting about MNSSHP but I can't wait:goodvibes. I saw you there, I saw you there!!!!! I recognized you, your DH and mostly that adorable Brom from all your PTR pictures:yay:. You all were on Main Street during the party, kind of early on, talking with a MM photographer. I couldn't tell if you had finished having your picture taken or were waiting to do so; I told my DH who you were and kind of stood on the sidewalk for a minute debating whether I wanted to say something:scratchin. I did want to say something, I really did! But I kind of felt like a stalker:rotfl2:..........and I didn't want to bother you and your family. Time is precious at WDW, especially during MNSSHP! Also my kids were watching me stand there and going, "Mom, what are we doing? Let's goooooo....!!!!!" So I let the opportunity slide by. I do want to say though, that the costumes you made looked wonderful!

Hello Sarah :wave2:!!! I was so hoping you'd do a TR so I could hear about your trip, since we were down there at the same time. It'll be fun to get your POV and see how much it differs or is the same as ours :)

So first, WOW! Not such a fun experience at the airport! That'll teach you to spend $$ you don't really need to spend lol. And how well did that work out at the POR food court with the extra meal credits that couple gave to you??? It's crazy that for all the MB's are supposed to allow us to do, you STILL have to make sure you have another form of payment on you at all times........

Now, I was going to wait until you started posting about MNSSHP but I can't wait:goodvibes. I saw you there, I saw you there!!!!! I recognized you, your DH and mostly that adorable Brom from all your PTR pictures:yay:. You all were on Main Street during the party, kind of early on, talking with a MM photographer. I couldn't tell if you had finished having your picture taken or were waiting to do so; I told my DH who you were and kind of stood on the sidewalk for a minute debating whether I wanted to say something:scratchin. I did want to say something, I really did! But I kind of felt like a stalker:rotfl2:..........and I didn't want to bother you and your family. Time is precious at WDW, especially during MNSSHP! Also my kids were watching me stand there and going, "Mom, what are we doing? Let's goooooo....!!!!!" So I let the opportunity slide by. I do want to say though, that the costumes you made looked wonderful!

Oh you really should have come over! :) We'd have loved to say 'HI' My girls are always asking about my 'computer friends'. And thanks so much for the costume compliments! We had so much fun wearing them. The best is when we met Elsa and Anna!!

But I'll get to that later! Who knew it'd be so tough to find time to sit at the computer? :rolleyes: But Ryan's home tomorrow, so I should have time to get most of the TR done this week. Yay! PDD (Post Disney Depression) is easier when re-living the trip! :thumbsup2

Phew! What a week! But I finally have time to write about our trip. Yay!

As promised here's our first day.

For the first time ever, we planned to make the most of EMH. So we woke up at the equivalent of 4 AM (6 FL time). :crazy2: This would have been a good idea if the day before ended earlier, but alas, we were tired. Luckily everyone had outfits picked the day before and with minimal fuss we were out the door to get a QS breakfast.

We ran into a slight problem. When you want gluten-free Mickey waffles for 6 people, it takes a long time to cook. And breakfast doesn't start until 7, which would mean we'd miss the EMH at AK. Instead we asked for 5 muffins to go. The chef was awesome and slipped us an extra one b/c it was my birthday trip. pixie dust:

We ate the muffins while we waited for the bus. 3 MK busses, 2 HS, and 1 Epcot bus came before the AK bus. Roughly a 20 min wait. I have to admit, I was annoyed. Only 1 park was actually opening soon, but that was the bus running slow. Oh well. It didn't take long and we were hopping off the bus.

We started our day with Kilimanjaro Safari, I'd never managed to get there before 10AM, and I'd always heard the animals were more active first thing in the morning. I had to go there first! I could hardly wait!

I think I saw half as many animals as usual. :rotfl2:

Though I did see this guy.

My next big plan for the day was to see the new baby Gorilla. Only a week and a half old. I was certain it'd be adorable and could hardly wait to see it!

Can you guess where this is going?

That's right. I didn't see the baby. :sad: Apparently the mamma walked away just before we got there, but, "If you walk around the corner to the other side, you'll see her over there."

Yay!! pixiedust: I could hardly wait!

Do you see what's happening?

Yep. She left just as we got there. Hid in the bamboo. :scratchin

I did get a picture of her though. Just no baby.

As much as I'd have happily stayed all day, I knew the girls wouldn't stand for it, so we continued on our way.

The girls met their first Wilderness Explorer, "Caw, Caw, Roar!!" We heard that a lot the rest of the trip (and even at home!).

They got their book, and their first badge, then they were off. They needed more badges!

One of the badges was near these drums. Brom loved them!

Off to Dinoland we went. Yep, clear across the park so they could start getting dinoland badges. On the way we saw Baloo and King Louis. Brom wasn't so sure about them, until we left. Then, in his incoherent baby babble, he spent the next 10 minutes telling us all about them, complete with the occasional hand gesture to let us know he was still on the same topic. :)

Everyone played in the boneyard. Ella got SOAKED only to discover the sand is not fun when your wet. It took some effort, but we managed to get her all wiped off. She was done with the boneyard at that point. Using parent swap Ella, Cordelia and Ryan went off to dinosaur, while Brom, Agatha and I stayed to ride triceratops spin. Agatha was super excited to ride in the front row by herself.

As soon as the other 3 returned it was Agatha's and my turn. I offered to take the other two, but there was no way they were going back :lmao:

Agatha was ready, eyes shut tight, arms around me. I could hardly wait to see the picture. Man I really have to learn to wait. Yep. No picture.

I was so upset I almost told the guy off. The first ride and I can't even see my baby. :furious: He could have sat in the back row, or let us know so we could have moved over. Or, or, or - I'll never get that moment back. I expected a picture, but I didn't get a picture b/c some guy wanted to be funny.

:furious:

Okay. I'm better now. Off to do a few more Wilderness Explorer Badges. Then we hopped in to see Finding Nemo: The Musical. After the show, I was hungry, and it was time for our Kali River Rapids FP. With a little swapping the girls all rode twice and Ryan and I each got to ride once. I got SOAKED. I've never had that much water dump on me before, but it was hot so I appreciated it.

I thought if we got a single meal at a quick service we could all share since it was only an hour and a half until lunch. But for some reason Ryan was upset, still have no idea why, and he wouldn't talk to me about food other than to say he needed something with meat. I thought he must be starving (I know I was). :confused3 So when the manager came out I ended up ordering 4 meals. And Ryan griped some more.

After a little chat, we got back on the same page and were ready for more fun.

The girls eagerly searched out new badge locations, and we walked to Africa for lunch. Yes, I did just buy a pile of food and then head to lunch. That's just the way I roll. :rotfl2:

Lunch was good. We ate a ton and had good character interaction. Though I may have looked just a teensy tiny bit like a giant pig at the buffet. Because we're, the whole family, gluten-free, the chef brings me around the buffet telling me what is or isn't safe, then I get everyone's plate of food. We've found none of us are able to pay enough attention to the chef if children are all over the place. So I go on my own. Not a big deal, until dessert. There's one, just one, dessert that's safe for us. These yummy strawberry mousse filled chocolate cups. Each one is just a single bite size, two bites if you're little. So each person would like 2 or 3. Not a big deal, until I go up to get 2 or 3 each for a family of 5. A couple beside me had tons of fun teasing me about stealing all of them. :p

But they were good and I'd do it again! :lmao:

After lunch it was time to leave the park so we could head to DTD to meet my sister and her family for dinner at Raglan Road.

So yes. I did buy a snack, eat lunch, then head to dinner, back to back to back. At Disney, we eat a lot. :rotfl2:

It'd been 2 years since I saw my sister last, and I'd never met our nephew before. Part of me was nervous. We're very different people, things could have gone badly. But luckily things went great. We enjoyed a nice meal and good conversation. My niece is an amazing little girl, and my nephew is such cutie - I have pictures, but my sister would prefer it if I don't share. So just imagine Brom with a bit more hair, and slightly taller, that's our nephew. Our niece is a cross between Brom and Cordelia.

They had to head back home, so we only got to visit for a few hours, but it was nice to see them while we could. And by that point, we were ready for bed.

Day one was over, but despite the few things that didn't go according to plan, we had a blast. We didn't wait for anything the entire day, but the biggest problem was we wanted more time at AK. With only a half day due to visiting, we didn't get enough time, and our other AK day was going to end up being a half day as well. We were bummed.

My DS8 rode roller coasters for the first time this trip, including Splash :thumbsup2 You know what happened in ALL 4 pictures of us? Someone was blocking his face!!! I was so mad. Although once it was b/c the couple in front of us brought a deck of cards and were "playing cards" as we went down the hill. The man was handing a card to the woman when the picture was taken so his arm is blocking Chris. I was mad - but thought the playing cards thing was a cute idea!

I won't turn your TR into my TR lol, but we had far too short a time in AK this trip, also:( It was due to scheduling but I will state for the record it wasn't my fault! My boys wanted to change the plan at the last minute.......I wasn't thrilled but decided I should be happy my 12 year old still has things he wants to do there!

Also want to add, I can't imagine not seeing my sister for 2 years - she lives about 20 minutes away (although sometimes I wish it were further........). But I'm so glad you got to see yours and enjoyed your time together:love:

My DS8 rode roller coasters for the first time this trip, including Splash :thumbsup2 You know what happened in ALL 4 pictures of us? Someone was blocking his face!!! I was so mad. Although once it was b/c the couple in front of us brought a deck of cards and were "playing cards" as we went down the hill. The man was handing a card to the woman when the picture was taken so his arm is blocking Chris. I was mad - but thought the playing cards thing was a cute idea!

I won't turn your TR into my TR lol, but we had far too short a time in AK this trip, also:( It was due to scheduling but I will state for the record it wasn't my fault! My boys wanted to change the plan at the last minute.......I wasn't thrilled but decided I should be happy my 12 year old still has things he wants to do there!

Also want to add, I can't imagine not seeing my sister for 2 years - she lives about 20 minutes away (although sometimes I wish it were further........). But I'm so glad you got to see yours and enjoyed your time together:love:

I do think it's neat to do something fun or silly at the right moment. But I just wish the people who did that would be kind enough to sit at the back so they don't ruin someone else's picture.

AK is our second favourite park, we could easily spend 4 happy days there, but alas, when you only have 7 days, you have to choose something that you skip.

My sisters and I all live very far apart. 2 in the states and 1 on the other side of Canada. We don't see each other very often at all. But with an age gap between us it's tricky even when we are close together. Different life points and such.

:rolleyes1We're walking right down the middle of main street USA :rolleyes1

That's right! It's time to head to the Magic Kingdom! I was so excited! Our morning started the same as the one before. We arrived at the park with LOTS of time to wait in a crushing throng of people, all waiting to get through the gate. Luckily it didn't take long and the music started.

On the advice of another Dis member, we stayed to the left, bad idea. The sun made it impossible to see the rope drop show, our girls missed seeing Elsa and Anna. :worried:

Luckily they were mollified because they got to go through the gate. It took a bit of maneuvering. The CMs kept everyone on the road, no sidewalks allowed. Luckily no one was trampled, no one could get passed anyone else until we made it through the castle.

We ditched the buggy as soon as we were in fantasyland and walked over to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. The sign said 45 minutes - it lied. It was only 20 min! :cloud9:

Though I'm sure the line was 45 min very quickly.

We got inline and waited, one man tried to push passed us to 'catch up to his wife' I was seriously annoyed. Later in the day, maybe, if he had small child I'd take pity. But he was simply strolling along with a coffee. If I ditched my family, we could have been way ahead as well... but I digress. We stopped to get a child swap, so he was able to pass with minimal fuss.

Unfortunately Ella didn't want to ride the mine train, and silly me, I wasn't thinking at all. In my mind, I thought if she didn't ride, I couldn't ride, not once thinking she could have gone with Ryan. :headache: So Ryan and Brom went to ride Pooh Bear and the three girls and I rode the Mine Train. Ella pouted the angry pout the entire time, Cordelia cried for it to stop. Agatha whooped and had a blast.

We left the ride, Ryan never took his turn b/c the girls were too upset. We rode tea cups twice - first time all together, but The girls spun the cup so fast that Brom kept sliding out of Ryan's hands. So the second time Ryan and Brom switched cups.

Next up, the Carousel! We LOVE this ride! There is something so special and magical about it. :love:

Next we dashed over to Peter Pan and Tom Sawyers Island. I know this could have waited until a more crowded time, but there's some thing special about the island when there's almost no one else around.

Here's our requisite 'baby in a bucket' photo. We have a pic of each of the girls in there.

Awww. I seriously love this little guy so much! :lovestruc

He really started to fly while on the trip! His first few jerky steps here, then in a couple of days he was smooth sailing!

My mom was an expert Marks(wo)man, I think Ella's gonna follow in her footsteps! This girl amazes me all the time!

After spending a ton of time on the island, it was time for our Big Thunder Mountain Railroad FP. Ryan, Agatha, and Cordelia ran off to ride. Ella Broma nd I went to the playground under the train station.

We spent all of 2 minutes there before a girl, about 8 yrs old, declared that Brom wasn't allowed to play there b/c he was a boy. I politely told her he was allowed to play b/c the park was for everyone. She then told me if I didn't take him away, she'd punch him. There was another little boy already crying. I didn't see her parents anywhere. We decided to leave.

We spent some time in the Briar Patch shop, Brom found the sweetest little toy ever, but we hadn't had time to fill the kiddos gift cards yet, you can't fill gift cards with MBs - we needed a credit card to do that, and yep, no card on us. :rolleyes1 So I put the toy back, and went outside. Brom played on the ground and Ella danced around while we waited.

When they returned Cordelia told me how much she loved the ride, but she wasn't riding it ever again. :lmao: So I didn't ride, instead we went for lunch at Crystal Palace.

Brom warmed up to the characters a little. Though the second he realized he touched one, he had to hide in Daddy's shoulder. Agatha tried so hard to show him it was okay, he just wasn't so sure. :)

Lunch was pretty good. We used to really enjoy their lunch, but now that we're also corn-free, there's fewer items we can eat. Gluten-free is easy, but gluten and corn free is more difficult.

Just the same, we found plenty to eat! And it was good, plus,t hey had a flour less brownie for us to try. It was delicious! I'll certainly go back for dessert again!

After our lunch, the CMs were setting up for the parade, and people were beginning to sit down. We decided to grab the corner by Casey's and save space for D.D. and her family who planned to meet up with us to view the parade.

Ahh, the people watching. Some having a blast, others having less than a blast. We sat for about 10 min before the girls all declared they were too hot to continue. I batted my eyelashes at Ryan, and he ran to Adventureland to get some dole whips! I love that man! Though really, he was partially self serving. He hates waiting, and really wanted a dole float. :rotfl2:

We waited a long time, D.D. and her family arrived the same time Ryan did. I'm going to skip right over this portion of the trip, and say. Wow. I LOVE that parade! I don't think I've been so in love with a parade since I was 5! :cloud9:

But, glancing down at the time, we had to dash as soon as the parade was over. Dinner with my cousin (Melissa) her DH (Ryan) and her one son (Kaleb). Yay! Even though we talk almost daily, it's been years since I saw her either.

And this was a super special trip for her. Last year she had to cancel her trip b/c she was diagnosed with breast cancer. The past years been spent fighting it, and now recovering from the fight.

She looked great! But apparently I was so busy visiting, I forgot to take pictures! And she was the one person who'd let me post pictures too! :(

We met up at the playground at POR, then quickly got changed to go swimming. Ahh that was GLORIOUS!! After a wonderfully hot sunshiny day, the pool was heaven. Cordelia latched onto Ryan, my cousin's hubby, and let him take her ingot he deep water, just swimming away! This child does NOT swim! She was best friends. So sweet, such fun time.

Soon it was time to dry off and head to dinner at Boatwrights.

I had the Jambalaya - it was really tasty, and gluten-free. I can't recall what anyone else had, but it was all eaten quickly! Very good! Brom particularly liked the sauce that came on Melissa's (she ordered it on the side).

After dinner, we lost (cousin) Ryan briefly when he thought we went outside, but instead Melissa and I popped into the River Roost lounge to listen to Yehaa Bob.

It didn't take the kiddos long to get tired of that though, so once we were all together, back to the room we went. The kiddos all got ready for bed, then we said good night and parted ways.

The girls were all asleep before the door closed.

Next up, a change of plans!

Aghhh I will update soon!! But we've got Disney Infinity 2.0, and I CAN'T. STOP. PLAYING!!! :cool1:

Previously I'd said our plan was to hit the EMH Mornings to get as much fun as possible out of our trip. I'd also planned to head to each park once before heading back to any of the parks a second time. However, plans change.

Our girls had so much fun at AK, and were so sad they wouldn't get a chance to finish their Wilderness Explorer Badges (WEBs) that last minute we changed our plans.

I cancelled our dinning (I've wondered whether we were charged for that, but 'quick checkout' this year apparently means trusting that everything added up b/c we never received a break down of what we spent). :scared1:

Anyhow - dining cancelled and Fps changed. We decided the best course was to head back to AK rather than go to EP.

This has proven to be a less than ideal decision (I'll explain later), but at the time it made the most sense.

Our morning started much as the others did.

We arrived at AK right on time, and just inside the gate we saw our favourite Wilderness Explorer, Amber! The girls were so excited to see her. She had a tarantula and the girls spent a good 15 minters telling her all they knew about bugs - including why mosquitos are valuable to the planet and how we shouldn't really kill them :rolleyes2 :rotfl2:

She let us know she'd be at Rafiki's planet Watch later, the girls were really excited to head back to see her later.

We went over to Dinoland USA for the girls again, managed to get a few more badges.

Heading to Asia for a couple FPs we stopped for Mickey bars (and a strawberry bar for Brom).

Then onto EE, Agatha and I rode, no one else dared! :rotfl2: Wow! That rides faster than I recall :thumbsup2 I may have actually had to hold on!

Then came Kali with a pile of swapping. Just as we were ready to head to one of the trails in search of more WEBs, we saw these ladies dancing, and the big girls and to join in (Cordelia fell asleep in the buggy).

You may not be able to tell, but Ella was having the time of her life! She danced and danced. Rain sprinkled, and still she danced. I honestly couldn't stop smiling at how awesome it was to see her open up so much. :love: While I watched Ryan and I had an iced chai, which tasted nice, but seemed very small for the price. :(

By this time it was already getting close to lunch, so we stopped at Flametree and ordered way more food than we needed. Which was a huge shame b/c I was really looking forward to stopping for dessert at the allergy kiosk, but I was too full. I vowed I'd stop after we spent some time at the affection section.

Time ticked ever onward, we only had a little over an hour until Rafiki's planet watch closed, so we hustled over there for a few more WEBs. We were really hoping to see Amber again, but we missed her.

We did meet Rafiki and Chip and Dale though. We also learnt a lot about animal care and for the first time in, well, ever, we actually went to the affection section. Well Ryan and the kiddos did. I stayed outside to take pictures. Or that's what I said anyhow. I really dislike petting zoos of any type. Though I may have done okay in this one. No need to worry about animal poop there.

While we were there, it began to rain. It began to pour. It began to flood. Okay maybe not quite that bad, but it felt like it.

The park was getting ready to close. We did not want to get wet. We bought expensive ponchos. Then we had to figure out how to keep Brom dry on Ryan's best without suffocating him. (We ripped a slit in the very expensive poncho, just big enough so Brom's head poked out).

The torrential downpour didn't last long, but it continued to rain just enough that we were getting wet even with the ponchos.

We hopped to pick up a dessert at this time, but when we got to the allergy kiosk it was closed. For CM safety we were told. Though I have to wonder how only the allergy kiosk was unsafe during rain. The other ones were still open. :confused:

At this point we decided we'd just leave, but then I had a BRILLIANT idea. I asked if the safari was still open. And it was!

We hurried back and walked right on! :banana: This was thte BEST Safari ride we've ever been on! The cheetah's were up and walking around, animals were everywhere. The giraffes were walking right up to the vehicle. We could have reached out and touched them. :cloud9:

This guy just kept on walking, right up to us. But our driver had to go. They're not supposed to stop if the animals come close b/c they don't want the animals too used to the vehicles (that drive throughout here all day long). :lmao:

But we didn't get far. We moved just around the bend and stopped, for a long time, until we heard a voice come on the radio that there were wildebeests on the road. Apparently the wildebeests, and I quote, were "Being F*ing @holes" :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

These two beasts caused someone a lot of grief. By the time we got there they were off the road, but the man driving the truck was obviously very worked up and upset with those two beasties :rotfl:

The rest of the drive was less eventful. But we did see a lot of animals compared to usual.

After the safari, the last 15 of us in the park all ambled toward the exit, no last minute shopping, everything was closed.

It was our last night at POR, so we (meaning ME) decided I had to have gluten-free beignet. So After dropping everything back at our room, we tried to find a quick way over to the FQ, but apparently the busses only randomly run between them, and there was no shuttle.

So we walked. The girls had a blast counting the number of frogs they saw. It rained. By the time we got there, I was less than enthused, but hoped the beignets would be as good as promised.

They Were!

Though the chef was a little put out when I ordered 4 orders of 3 beignets. :rotfl2: An entire family being gluten-free throws people off sometimes. IN some places it's not a big deal, but dealing with a frier can be an issue.

Of those sugar covered fried balls of dough were delicious! Totally worth the walk.

But we were ready for bed, and ready to dry off. So we decided we'd try the bus stop. We were sworn to secrecy, but somehow we managed to get back to POR without needing to pay money, nor walk. :cloud9: I think the person took pity on the wet baby. :thumbsup2

This was our absolute best day the entire trip in so many ways.

It may not sound like we did very much. But we really did. The girls managed to get 3/4 of their WEBs and each of us managed at least one thing we really wanted to do. And everyone was happy all day long.

I will eventually finish tis TR, but life's been turned upside down.

2 weeks after returning him, I found a lump. An urgent u/s revealed nothing to be concerned about - I pushed for a biopsy, a lot of head patting and placating happened, but the biopsy was done.

2 days ago I received the news. at age 34 with 4 children. I have breast cancer.

I'm having a difficult time recalling details of a trip that seems so long ago, but I know the tunnel vision will clear and I'll finish our TR.

For now. I'll sum up, we had a great time at all except HS. ** that day was rough, tears, tears, and more tears. We had our best, and worst MNSSHP ever. And amazing pixie dust, and the crowning moment - a BB offer booked for our dream vacation next year!

I found your PTR/TR last weekend. I have been reading them and finally got to your last post today.

I am so sorry to hear about your recent news. With 4 young children that has to be a scary thing to face. My heart goes out to you. I hope that it is something they caught early and can be treated. I wish you an your family all the best!

I will be looking forward to hearing the ready of this adventure and the next one too! Dream vacation? I can't wait to hear all about that!

Sending Lots of love:love: and positive vibes:goodvibes to you!

Oh Sarah, I am so truly sorry to hear about your diagnosis. After following your whole PTR and now your TR, I feel like I know you. You'll be in my thoughts; best of luck to you and your family, my friend.

A few years ago we spent a rainy (and I mean downpour rainy) day in AK. We've had about 4 or 5 trips since then and that day remains one of our best:thumbsup2. We saw FOTLK and the Nemo show, watched some dancers when the rain let up a bit, ate breakfast and late lunch, and rode the safari twice, shopped, met some characters in covered areas. We saw more active animals on those 2 safaris than any of the many other times we've been on, before or since! One of our drivers that day told us the rain brings all the animals out and is the best time to ride.

I had noticed your new ticker a few posts ago, that's awesome!:banana: Something so fun to look forward to:goodvibes

I have followed along through you PTR and now reading your TR. My thoughts are with you and your family in this time! :love::hug:

I found your PTR/TR last weekend. I have been reading them and finally got to your last post today.

I am so sorry to hear about your recent news. With 4 young children that has to be a scary thing to face. My heart goes out to you. I hope that it is something they caught early and can be treated. I wish you an your family all the best!

I will be looking forward to hearing the ready of this adventure and the next one too! Dream vacation? I can't wait to hear all about that!

Sending Lots of love:love: and positive vibes:goodvibes to you!

Thank you! The initial turmoil of a million things happening at once is easing off, and hopefully I'll get back to thinking of positive things, like DISNEY again very shortly!

Oh Sarah, I am so truly sorry to hear about your diagnosis. After following your whole PTR and now your TR, I feel like I know you. You'll be in my thoughts; best of luck to you and your family, my friend.

A few years ago we spent a rainy (and I mean downpour rainy) day in AK. We've had about 4 or 5 trips since then and that day remains one of our best:thumbsup2. We saw FOTLK and the Nemo show, watched some dancers when the rain let up a bit, ate breakfast and late lunch, and rode the safari twice, shopped, met some characters in covered areas. We saw more active animals on those 2 safaris than any of the many other times we've been on, before or since! One of our drivers that day told us the rain brings all the animals out and is the best time to ride.

I had noticed your new ticker a few posts ago, that's awesome!:banana: Something so fun to look forward to:goodvibes

Thank you for the well wishes! Luckily this was not whole unexpected (it's in the genes) but it was certainly unplanned! So things are just a little upside down until we know more about what's happening.

Sometimes those rainy days are better than any amount of sunshine! :) Well, almost. :rotfl2: We don't mind one or two rainy days, but I really do love me some sun! :goodvibes

Who knew waiting would take up so much time and effort!

So the last few days I've read everything there is to read about breast cancer :surfweb: it's treatment, and all the many points in between. Which leaves me exactly where I started. Seems pretty silly. :confused3 Instead I'd rather think about the trip just passed and the one coming up. :cool1:

So we left off with a second day at AK. Ahh that really was wonderful. The day ended swimming. Oh and I totally forgot! We met a lovely family the first night who was at POR and it was a first trip! We ran into them a couple more times around the resort during the course of our stay. It really makes Disney, Walt Disney World to be precise, seem like one big family. :lovestruc We stopped and asked how their trip was going, and shared our stories. It was so great to hear about all the magic someone else was able to experience during a first trip - and learn that they planned to come back! :goodvibes

After getting back to POR after our jaunt, we got the kiddos all into bed, and I packed everything up so we could switch resorts! I was so excited to get back to AK. Our previous trip, we were amazingly pixie dusted with savannah view, which was Ah-ma-zing! This trip we had savannah view 1 bdrm booked and I could hardly wait!

The next morning we woke up bright and early, grabbed breakfast and attempted to drop our bags off with bell services. Trickier than you'd think. The one window directed us to luggage services, but there was no one there, so we came back to the first window and explained the situation, it seemed the person who was supposed to be there disappeared for a while - this seemed to be a common theme amongst the bell services CMs. The lady at the window asked someone else to help us - direct refusal, it took her a minute (of increasing anger) to find someone to help us. I really wish there was something we could have done to help, but all we could do was assure her it was okay, and try desperately not to glance at the busses.

Luckily we didn't really wait very long and in no time at all we were on our way to HS. We didn't quite make RD, but pretty close.

First stop, TSMM!! We were so excited! My touring plan was perfect and would allow us to ride it 3 times that day (yay for EMH and FP+). The problem with my plan soon became apparent. I didn't take into account that the ride would be closed for EMH (and the 1st hour+ of park open).

Ella almost burst ingot tears immediately. We tried to distract her, "look it's Buzz and Woody!" She was having nothing to do with it, and was obviously upset, the CM at the door to the M&G seemed to notice, so I just said, "She's really upset b/c she wanted to ride the ride."

Oh BOY was that the wrong thing to say :confused3 the CM gave me a lecture about waiting our turn, and then said if it was really important, we should wait int he ride line anyhow. :confused3: Seriously does she have no experience with kids? If my kid couldn't handle a slight detour did she really think waiting in line for who knows how long would be a good idea?

We went to meet Buzz & Woody anyhow.

"The Claw"

(I was trying to be silly and help everyone feel better - it didn't work)

Ella was so grumpy throughout the whole line, refused to meet them and was so ridiculously cranky that she kept pushing her siblings and me, and I had just about enough, by the time we get to Buzz & woody, I'm on the verge of snapping. So could barely force a smile, let alone interact with the characters. I was upset.

We left the M&G area and tried to figure out what to do. Ella continued to grump, getting more and more upset about everything. And I snapped. Pretty much saying let's go back to the resort (but we don't check in for another 6 hours). I was ridiculously grumpy, Ella was grumpy, and poor Ryan was trying so hard to be peacemaker (highly unusual - normally it's him butting heads with the kiddos, but **, I am HORRIBLE when I'ma grump)!! :scared1:

At this pint there was debating about what to do and where to go, but Ella agreed that going to Wandering Oaken's would have her feeling better. And that was what I really wanted to do to - though at the time I said it was the last thing on Earth I wanted to do...:stir: Yeah...

So we go into Wandering Oaken's, almost no line at all! But Cordelia had to go to the bathroom - so Ryan ran to take her just before it was our turn to go in. He had our camera. :( The photo pass photographer was grumpy. Snapping at us. We were "standing in the wrong spot, and she only had one magic shot per family, there were people waiting, hurry up" (there was no one else around - did not improve my mood).

Then the girls wanted to go play in the snow. So I went to get in line. A VERYYYYYYYY Loooooonnnnngggg line. It went all the way back to the end of the snow enclosure, and wrapped around, and wound back on itself. But we got in line. And waited. Finally Ryan and Cordelia arrived. I asked Ella and Agatha to wait in line while I ran to get Ryan. When I returned to our spot, the person a few people back assumed I was cutting and went off on me (seriously almost cried) then the person behind us stepped in and assured her I was with the children who were in line already. There was a lot of apologizing and she told a tale or two about line cutting. (I totally get it! But that exact moment was a bit much for me).

So I took Brom and the camera and let Ryan and the girls stay in line, I wanted pictures. But pictures were not in the cards. I had to take Brom to freshen up - I did leave Ryan the camera, but there were no pictures. :(

After taking Brom I went to the gift shop to wait for everyone else to join me. When they arrived the girls picked out some dresses, and a doll each, and we grabbed a stuffed Sven for Brom, then we were ready to head to star tours, except Ryan grabbed the wrong item for Ella - so we had to wait in line to go back in to exchange it. Then something else was wrong, back in line again. This is the moment TSMM began operating - over 2 hours since we arrived! We contemplated running into the line, but Ella still needed help, and then it was Agatha's turn to need the bathroom at the exact moment. So we decided we'd just wait for our FP+ time.

By the time we were done it was time to head to early lunch. Yes we really had spent almost the entire morning doing not much of anything.

In case you can't tell, my opinion on "Frozen Summer Fun" thus far was not very good.

However, it was time for the processional. But given the time, we ended up basically right beside the stage, and the speakers were only in front of the stage, so we couldn't hear anything, and there as no view of the stage. But I did get a great shot of Kristoff!

:cloud9:

My day was much better for that right there! Lunch was at H&V. The girls love the Disney Jr characters so this is a must do for us! As always lunch was actually pretty good for a buffet. There's always a ton of selection at H&V that's safe for us. And the Chef was happy to make us a GF caesar salad :yay::yay: We ate more than enough to improve everyone's moods!

The characters were pretty good, but the interaction this year wasn't quite the same. Probably b/c Brom only liked Sophia :rotfl: everyone else got the stink eye.

After lunch we wanted to ride ST so off we went. There was no line, so we grabbed a parent swap pass and saved our FP+. And good thing too!

Ryan and the 3 girls rode, then I rode with Ella and Agatha, then Ryan did, then I did. This did wonders of the big kids outlook, but Cordelia and Brom were in total melt down from waiting so much.

We tried our best to distract them and keep them busy, but it just wasn't enough. We hoped heading to Disney Jr would help liven their spirits up.

We hop in line, and get in pretty quick, find a seat, then try to keep Brom happy until eh show started. It was better than Nemo at AK, as far as keeping his attention, but only by a slim margin.

At the end of the show we had 2 massive meltdowns when neither Agatha nor Cordelia managed to find a piece of the paper that falls during the show. (I mean seriously it's paper!!) But they had to have it, and no other would do!

I just couldn't cope anymore. We had to leave.

We all talked and agreed that our day at HS was a very bad day and we really didn't want o stick around for another hour to ride TSMM, we didn't do the sing-along, I never rode RnR, there were so many things that just were not going to work with our family.

The other parks have ways to entertain the littles while the bigs ride the big rides, but HS just doesn't have that. And the only ride Brom could ride (The Great Movie ride is just to scary for our kids) was closed in the AM, and there are only so many shows a toddler can do.

So we hopped onto a bus and went to AKL. Best. Decision. Ever!

When we arrive, our room was ready. I requested close to the elevator. I was as far from the elevator as you could get. :worried: But that was okay. The room was gorgeous. But because of where the room was located, we had to stretch over the balcony to really see any animals. We were too close to the main branch of the building. But the balcony was huge and gorgeous.

However, the room had a problem. At the time we hoped it'd be a small problem, our room stunk! No, not of animals, of vomit :sick: we tried opening all the windows and turning on the fans, and hoped that if we went swimming, everything would be better.

After swimming, it was starting to cloud over and it felt like a storm was coming, so I dashed back to the room to close the windows while everyone ran to get supper from Mara.

Chef Dave was great, chatting wight eh girls about hidden Mickeys, and talking to us about the food choices. HE wasn't sure about the African Stew, so we had burgers and I grabbed some baby cakes from the fridge. The food was nothing special, but it was good.

After dinner we went back to the room, but it was 10x worse than before. It was disgusting! So I had Ryan start packing up and I went down to concierge and explained the situation. Unfortunately, there was a problem. There were no more 1 bdrm suites available. :eek: We were offered a change of resorts, but D.D. was joining us in 2 days, so we didn't want to switch resorts. We were offered to stay ing the room until the next day when we could switch rooms, but that would mean we'd have to take time out of our park day to do that - and really, there was no way we could stay in that room! We were also offered a concierge level upgraded, but it wasn't savannah view.

Honestly, we had a better view of the animals from our new room than we had from our savannah view suite! :rotfl2: We were on the ground floor right off the pool, so there were people between us and the animals, but we could see the animals perfectly right from the patio. And it was so convenient to pop out to swim or grab food.

And it didn't hurt to have the CL lounge access!

The CMs at the Kilimanjaro lounge were great! Ryan even had a chance to talk anime with one of them. :laughing:

I meant to take pictures, the room was awesome! So much better than the suite, though I have to say, I was EXTREMELY happy I did laundry during the short time we actually were in the suite. ;)

When you walk in the door, there's a half bath right there, around the corner is the kitchenette - fridge, microwave, and sink, also a table for 4. Then there's the living room, with the pull-out bed in the couch, TV, coffee table, desk and chair, and then a comfy chair by the couch. In the next room were two queen beds, a TV with a chest of drawers, a seat next to the patio doors, and over by the bathroom (opposite the patio) there was a vanity with a bench seat. But the bathroom was what really made the difference for our family! A separate toilet, a HUGE shower - all the kids fit at once! A separate tub, and then a large double vanity. It was really nice to have so much space for everyone.

I quickly unpacked while Ryan got everyone ready for bed, then within seconds of our heads hitting the pillows, we were asleep!

Our day didn't get off to that great of a start, but it ended on such a high note!

So sad your HS day wasn't a success :( That's mine and DS12's favorite park. But awesome upgrade at AKL, even if you had to put up with a smell for awhile lolpixiedust:

HS is an awesome park, but it just wasn't working for our family that day. I'm sure we'll be back and enjoy ourselves again one day! There were just one too many things that didn't work with so many young children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter