Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like they’ve hit capacity every weekend. But someone last weekend said they were there during the time they were at capacity and said it still wasnt very crowded. Wonder if they upped the capacity levels already.

The big problem with water parks is that the CDC said chlorine will kill the virus so there are inevitably going to be people that think they’re more invincible because all they have to do is jump in the pool at the end of the day and they’re cleansed. And that is very, very, very false

The lines seemed to make him nervous. I only saw him waiting to get in, so I am hoping he comes back and says it was better inside. People in the pictures/video did have masks on, though.

But it is still way up over where it was just two weeks ago. (12.82% today versus 4.39% on 6/13) With more testing you expect the positive rate to go down. Here in MA we are down to about a 2% positive rate and we have been there consistently since June 10. And we still had 50 deaths yesterday because those lag. It takes a long time to come down from these kinds of high positive test rates especially when most of the state is open. It is really, really hard to stop the spread when the numbers get big and people are not modifying their behavior.

Here's the thing though...on 6/13, it probably wasn't really 4.39%. It was probably closer to 10%....it's just that people weren't getting tested as much.

That's the thing that is just so tough about this virus....you have to figure whatever your numbers are....there are exponentially more out there.

I usually just read this particular thread without posting on it, but like many of you, I have an upcoming trip in August so I'm carefully watching things in Orlando and keeping updated about the theme parks. I spoke with a cousin of mine who works in an ICU unit near Orlando (which is at normal capacity). I said I really can't believe 9,000+ new cases a day?? She said they are accumulated case dumps from the past and also that they are doing mobile testing of places like immigrant farms, etc., and many tests are reading positive but with no symptoms so will be tested again 3 days later. I told her my Disney trip dates and she said not to worry and she thinks we'll be hearing better news soon enough. Just thought I'd post that since we're all hoping to get back to the parks soon!

The lines seemed to make him nervous. I only saw him waiting to get in, so I am hoping he comes back and says it was better inside. People in the pictures/video did have masks on, though.

IDK what it is, but people in lines for water slides always seem more antsy and impatient than normal theme park rides to get to the slide as quick as possible, which leads to people encroaching on personal space.

I can Pollyanna it:
1. Spike may happen and be on the downturn prior to the parks opening
2. Can’t really say that the higher cases were due to the theme parks.

Bars, clubs, parties and indoor social gatherings are what is driving the spikes across the country. Bars are literally the perfect place for Covid to infect people. Small indoor spaces, difficult to socially distance and impossible to wear a mask and drink.

I can Pollyanna it:
1. Spike may happen and be on the downturn prior to the parks opening
2. Can’t really say that the higher cases were due to the theme parks.

1. This could certainly happen. But in a time where you’re seeing a climb in numbers, it’s hard to convince people that theres a light at the end of the tunnel.
2. While true, all it takes is speculation that it came from a theme park to get a certain reputation

It’s when labs get backed up. Labs getting backed up still happens.
The term “lab dump” drives me bananas. It’s some attempt to lesson the blow of the data.

I think it’s WORSE because it means there has been no contact tracing.

How can Florida be contact tracing these thousands and thousands of cases from the last 3 days?
Spoiler... they can’t

Last edited:
I know people mean well but I really don’t think it does any good to try and find reasons why the numbers aren’t actually bad, to compare traveling to Disney to various other scenarios to diminish the risk, and things of that nature.

Eyes wide open for those who are choosing to travel is needed IMO. This is not the time to sugarcoat. Yes people are responsible for their own choices and shouldn’t be swayed by other people’s opinions, but at the same time a lot of people are going to be reassured by random DISboards poster insisting it’s totally safe to go.

That's the thing that is just so tough about this virus....you have to figure whatever your numbers are....there are exponentially more out there.
That’s exactly what the experts say. However bad it seems, it’s actually much worse. But the increase in positivity is the most concerning number to me. That should remain steady, regardless of how many people you test, unless it’s spreading. An increased positivity tells you they aren’t just finding cases they didn’t know about, it tells you more people are catching it.

The term “lab dump” drives me bananas. It’s some attempt to lesson the blow of the data.
How can Florida be contact tracing these thousands and thousands of cases from the last 3 days?
Spoiler they can’t

Unfortunately there’s very little reliable contract tracing going on nationwide. That’s part of the reason why we are where we are.

Perhaps, but one thing I've noticed is that while Florida is shooting up in positives, the fatality rate is much slower. Florida is almost caught up to NJ in positives, but Florida is only at 3k deaths compared to our 13k.
NJ has had the highest death rate in the country so far at 167 per 100,000. Florida is at 15 per 100,000. Florida has, also, tested 30% more people than New Jersey has. You can’t put Florida in the same league as New Jersey.

Spoiler they can’t
Honestly, when you’re looking at near 10k new cases a day with double digit positivity rates and you can somehow explain it away as not concerning, you aren’t facing reality. These numbers are not just bad, they’re alarming and whistling past the graveyard isn’t going to help.

I know people mean well but I really don’t think it does any good to try and find reasons why the numbers aren’t actually bad, to compare traveling to Disney to various other scenarios to diminish the risk, and things of that nature.

Eyes wide open for those who are choosing to travel is needed IMO. This is not the time to sugarcoat. Yes people are responsible for their own choices and shouldn’t be swayed by other people’s opinions, but at the same time a lot of people are going to be reassured by random DISboards poster insisting it’s totally safe to go.

It’s not going to be totally safe to go until the very earliest, next summer. Even without the current situation down there, it wasn’t completely safe. While I think most people know that, you’re right that sometimes people are sugarcoating the situation, and I’m guilty of that, and that can give people a false sense of security

I can't remember where I saw it, but people were upset that some bloggers weren't expressly telling people to stay away. Those bloggers will be there when WDW opens because it's their job. They said you have to do what is best for you and understand the consequences.

I think people do need to make the decision for themselves and not depend on someone to say go or not go. I have my own opinions about it, but ultimately people do what they want.

That being said I wouldn't go near Florida any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter