Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, “living with the virus” might mean not doing things like vacations to theme parks and states that are hotspots right now.

“Living with the virus” means different things to different people. For some, it’s “ignore the virus,” and others it’s to adjust lifestyle and behaviors to live with the virus.

Skimming through the posts catching up and just saw "living with the virus"... thought @MickeyWaffles was proposing a Living with the Land retheme :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

So someone recently posted the cruise lines are dead. This is not according to what I'm watching/reading as a stakeholder.

It appears that Virgin Voyages may have created a strong baseline in terms of a market resurgence and that other "major" cruise lines are looking at the possibility of implementing in their measures. More specifically, the rumor I am hearing is about the air filtration system and cost/break-even analysis. This is pure speculation at this time.

Small note but still interesting and sort of now official. A few weeks ago, @Sandisw had speculated that VGF would still have access to some amenities at the hotel. That was correct. While I was skeptical, I can confirm CMs at that hotel are being told that the plan (as sort of indicated in some of the pictures posted today) is to use the Main Building and Beach Pool to service guests of VGF, while the Conference Center, Courtyard Pool, Sugar Loaf Concierge Lounge, and the Narcoossee's (staff here is being called back) facilities would be for NBA players. As you can see in the photos posted, they are erecting a fence straddling the eastern and northern sides of the Main Building, giving guests access to Gasparilla via that covered walkway along the side of the Main Building (I believe that goes all the way to GIG right?). Everything east of that (marina, guest buildings, Courtyard Pool, etc...) will be walled off for the NBA. Available amenities (as listed on DisneyWorld.com) will stay as is likely until the hotel's official reopening on 9/24. While this certainly could change, this seems to be the plan for the time being.

Small note but still interesting and sort of now official. A few weeks ago, @Sandisw had speculated that VGF would still have access to some amenities at the hotel. That was correct. While I was skeptical, I can confirm CMs at that hotel are being told that the plan (as sort of indicated in some of the pictures posted today) is to use the Main Building and Beach Pool to service guests of VGF, while the Conference Center, Courtyard Pool, Sugar Loaf Concierge Lounge, and the Narcoossee's (staff here is being called back) facilities would be for NBA players. As you can see in the photos posted, they are erecting a fence straddling the eastern and northern sides of the Main Building, giving guests access to Gasparilla via that covered walkway along the side of the Main Building (I believe that goes all the way to GIG right?). Everything east of that (marina, guest buildings, Courtyard Pool, etc...) will be walled off for the NBA. Available amenities (as listed on DisneyWorld.com) will stay as is likely until the hotel's official reopening on 9/24. While this certainly could change, this seems to be the plan for the time being.

Well that sounds pleasant...lol

Considering the timing of the various announcements (the NBA staying at GF and Disney’s posting what would be open at each resort), I would have been very surprised if it hadn’t happened exactly this way. Still, nice to have absolute confirmation.

But say we work together in a shared office and I take only the risks I am comfortable with - going to work, not socializing outside of my family, only going to the grocery store - and you go on vacation to a theme park in a hot spot because you are not afraid of the risk. You catch it and bring it back to our shared office space and pass it on to me before you have any symptoms. Now I have done everything I can do to limit my own risk but I am still suffering from the risk you were willing to take. Hopefully these kinds of transmissions are limited if everyone takes the proper precautions but they are still very possible so making the argument that everyone should just take the risks they are comfortable with and be okay is sort of disingenuous.

In the case of a highly contagious virus we are all at the mercy of each other to some degree unless we literally hide in our houses forever. If EVERYONE limits their risks by just a little bit, it helps all of us to be able to function in some degree of normal life. But if some people are willing to repeatedly take much larger risks and are not willing to modify their behavior at all it means that everyone else has to severely limit themselves from being able to do almost anything.
There should still be mask-wearing & social distancing in an office. Living with the virus means assuming everyone you come in contact could be positive regardless of where they have been & taking necessary precautions with that in mind.

So trying to digest all these numbers and perspectives. So tough. My conclusions
1) numbers say FLA is spiking now, months after northeast. I would love for a top medical pro to tell me why. Data dump or no, more testing than ever aside, %positive is up significantly
2). To oversimplify, Disney gonna do what Disney gonna do. Somebody somewhere, in Burbank or wherever is sitting, I picture an old time accountant in a visor with register tape flowing out of a calculator, is weighing finance vs pr vs brand protection and saying go or no go. Whether I think they should open or not is pretty much not important.
Now how do I process these 2 factors? Higher % positive means virus is prevalent in the area and we have a greater chance to get it. I don’t want to get it. People in my traveling party could die if they got it. Plus I am uneasy about the lack of info on how having it may affect you in the future. No point in debating the morbidity rate or impact of a lesser strain etc. to each their own. Nobody knows for sure so nobody’s right or wrong. I just know I don’t want it.
So point 2 becomes really unimportant. And before the mob proclaiming we can’t stay shut in forever comes at me I agree with you. If it were a matter of going to work, or shopping for essentials or perhaps even going out to eat or patronize local business that need a boost I could evaluate and take precautions and do what I had to. But this is an amusement park. I’ve been before, and I’ll be optimistic, I think I will someday go again. Also not sure I would even enjoy it as presently available
No judgement if they open and you want to go. Stay safe and I hope it’s all you want...

If the GF marina is closed off, does that mean no resort launch available when the parks open? Or will it just go between MK and Poly?

I've been curious about that in general because those boats are on the small side and social distancing seems difficult if not impossible, but at the same time they're open air so better than being in an enclosed monorail car.

So trying to digest all these numbers and perspectives. So tough. My conclusions
1) numbers say FLA is spiking now, months after northeast. I would love for a top medical pro to tell me why. Data dump or no, more testing than ever aside, %positive is up significantly
2). To oversimplify, Disney gonna do what Disney gonna do. Somebody somewhere, in Burbank or wherever is sitting, I picture an old time accountant in a visor with register tape flowing out of a calculator, is weighing finance vs pr vs brand protection and saying go or no go. Whether I think they should open or not is pretty much not important.
Now how do I process these 2 factors? Higher % positive means virus is prevalent in the area and we have a greater chance to get it. I don’t want to get it. People in my traveling party could die if they got it. Plus I am uneasy about the lack of info on how having it may affect you in the future. No point in debating the morbidity rate or impact of a lesser strain etc. to each their own. Nobody knows for sure so nobody’s right or wrong. I just know I don’t want it.
So point 2 becomes really unimportant. And before the mob proclaiming we can’t stay shut in forever comes at me I agree with you. If it were a matter of going to work, or shopping for essentials or perhaps even going out to eat or patronize local business that need a boost I could evaluate and take precautions and do what I had to. But this is an amusement park. I’ve been before, and I’ll be optimistic, I think I will someday go again. Also not sure I would even enjoy it as presently available
No judgement if they open and you want to go. Stay safe and I hope it’s all you want...
Except that there are a lot of ppl who depend on the economy generated by those amusement parks.

I don’t understand. If people in your party could die from getting COVID, why would you even consider traveling at all, spike or no spike?

Except that there are a lot of ppl who depend on the economy generated by those amusement parks.
That’s why they will make a decision to open and it doesn’t matter if I think they should or not. Like I said, no judgement. If they can make the financial part work go for it
But I can’t be expected to throw my personal well being aside for the economic health of Central Fla right? And if likewise you are not concerned that’s up to you. Here’s an analogy: in my neighborhood there is a venerable raw bar. Been open for years. Owners beloved in the community. And they are going under. But I’m allergic to shellfish. Severely. Should I toss my well being aside and go eat there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter