Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK why being told to make park reservations is all that big of a deal. You can cancel, and use on another park that has space, can you not? I’d much rather have done the parks reservation than go up and reserve a spot at the parks, or buy a ticket at guest relations. Even without the issues today its still time wasted that could be otherwise enjoyed in the park. Maybe I’m misinterpreting the issue.

If it’s an issue of why APs couldnt get in because theyre locked into 3 park days, but people were allowed to buy tickets and go in this morning, thats a different story. I get the anger at that, I do. But, Disney kind of needs to make money right now. Yeah, boo-hoo the rich company needs money, I know. They havent really come to an official end-all-be-all scenario for their pay-it-forward to AP holders. They’ve announced extensions, and partial refunds, but they still have information to tell us regarding that situation in “early July”. The longer they wait, the more anguish they cause AP holders. AP Holders already have enough to be upset about with whats going on, todays situation adds another wrinkle. What happened today, imo, was GOOD for us AP holders. The more they keep disrespecting AP holders, and the more those AP holders communicate their frustrations about this continuous situations, the more Disney is going to have to buckle in the end and give out extra perks/extensions/refunds/etc. They gave a mighty fine discount for AP holders to use on the hotels. Yes, the discount still brings money in, but how often are locals or out of town ears that arent DVC members able to stay at a Disney resort for 40% off? Not often. In the end, I have faith they’re going to make it right with AP Holders, just need a little patience, even though its wearing thin.

(Drink every time you read “AP Holder(s)”)

I don’t believe they ever said you had to have it all ahead of time, did they? If its all available to buy and book day of, why not? That’s where I’m stuck confused.

Literal walk up is probably not a great idea if it’s possible people could get turned away, but other than that?

If I weren't so lazy, I would go back and look at all of the articles that came out about that time, and while I know much has changed since then, I seem to remember it was at the very least implied that if you don't have a park pass, you aren't getting in the park.

Secondly, I was also under the impression that walk-up ticket purchases would not be allowed in order to help with the social distancing side of things....there is no bottleneck at the ticket counter. You also don't have groups of people hogging the parking lot, hogging the monorail or ferry, hogging the walkway space, and then they get there and they don't even have tickets available. So then they go to Guest Services to complain. And eventually get on the monorail and ferry and find their way back. Just seems like there are a lot of people you could avoid having on property by just not allowing walk-up ticket sales.

Excellent post. I really do hope they end up with the "neither" option and continue as planned with the interaction and use this a learning experience to add new parts to their training with the horses to help them be more comfortable should something like this every happen again.
has anyone ever been to a Dixie Stampede show where they end with indoor fireworks? those horses do not even look sideways when they go off. my guess is more training and/or no balloons until after "parade" goes past

If I weren't so lazy, I would go back and look at all of the articles that came out about that time, and while I know much has changed since then, I seem to remember it was at the very least implied that if you don't have a park pass, you aren't getting in the park.

Secondly, I was also under the impression that walk-up ticket purchases would not be allowed in order to help with the social distancing side of things....there is no bottleneck at the ticket counter. You also don't have groups of people hogging the parking lot, hogging the monorail or ferry, hogging the walkway space, and then they get there and they don't even have tickets available. So then they go to Guest Services to complain. And eventually get on the monorail and ferry and find their way back. Just seems like there are a lot of people you could avoid having on property by just not allowing walk-up ticket sales.

You definitely need a park reservation and ticket to get in, but if those could be purchased and booked at the gate, or on your phone driving in that morning, why not?

The only reason to be annoyed IMO is if these sales bypassed full buckets (I too am getting sick of that word).

Gotcha! Thanks! I probably misunderstood the article. I didn’t even know there was an app until yesterday 😂

The article does say what you do but if you install the app and hit swap right now it asks forr the app to scan a qr code to identfy which kiosk you arre at so I expect that is what is being talked about

I agree that walk up sales shouldn't be allowed since it means more people may try to show up then there is room for.

At my six flags when you go to the parking plaza to park they make you shows a park reservation there before they even let you park.

I think we’re making too big of a deal of the walk up tickets. It’s not like Disney is publicizing they are selling them. I think we all knew they would be selling tickets at the gates, especially after seeing the availability left in the resort guest bucket. They will do everything they can to make sure resort guests can get into a park everyday of their trip. Most likely those showing up at the gates today without tickets were staying on property and decided to go last minute to the opening day of MK or were staying nearby and wanted to go. I’m fine with it as long as there is availability for that park in the resort guest bucket. Does it anger me a bit as an AP that they’re not opening more availability to us? Sure, but I understand. They can let APs make more than their 3 days by allowing them to get in last minute on day of. All that would cause is for APs to book their ”special” days like NYE and other holidays right away and then still show up whenever else they wanted. This way it at least keeps the AP game a level playing field for us all. We can all only book 3 and that’s what we’ll do.

And by having single day passes available gets them some quick revenue right away. I also think the parks being full at capacity in all buckets would only be an issue this week and next week, and even then I don’t think every park will be at full capacity. Once these weeks pass, there will always be availability in the resort guest bucket.

What I’m saying is I think there was still availability in the regular ticket bucket, hence the ability to sell at the gates.

The availability calendar doesn’t load on my phone for me so I can’t see, is anything but DHS sold out for non AP holders? I imagine we’ll find out quickly where the same day comes from when DHS opens. I don’t think they would be just letting walk ups happen if it was full. I assumed (maybe wrongly) it’s just another way to buy regular tickets but the same rules apply.
AP
Theme park ticket

You definitely need a park reservation and ticket to get in, but if those could be purchased and booked at the gate, or on your phone driving in that morning, why not?

The only reason to be annoyed IMO is if these sales bypassed full buckets (I too am getting sick of that word).

Bucket, lets go to Disney World.

Theres no indication the basket was full for regular park guests, and tickets are available now, and the capacity limits are there to hopefully at least get close to. Its nice for the guests and CMs if the amount of guests in the parks is much lower than whats been tallied from the baskets, but for Disney as a company? They want to come close to that capacity, not over, but enough to make more money

Scary. I actually caught on stream this same horse slipping on main street while pulling the trolley with the Pooh characters
https://insidethemagic.net/2020/07/meridas-horse-opening-day-kc1/
The question now is: is this the end of balloons at mk or the end in using the horses at mk? Or neither?

Balloons and horses on Main Street have co-existed for many, many years in the mornings. It was a freak accident, though a pp's suggestion that perhaps this particular horse hasn't had desensitization training is spot-on. However, I'd be thrilled if Disney got rid of balloons. There is nothing eco-friendly about them.

How can someone from Texas go to Disney right now but people from NY are basically banned unless they stay in Florida for more than 2 weeks?? When Texas has 10Kcases and NY has not even 1K

Politics, and that's all that can be said here.

We had an amazing day at the Magic Kingdom due to wait times, and Disney was right that it was not an issue to be there a little late because of it. The only negative thing today was trying to get there! We are staying at Fort Wilderness and we were told the boats would start at 8:30. We got there at 8:10 and the line was out to the bike racks. OK, no big deal. I figured that since Disney knew EXACTLY how many guests staying at the fort had reservations for MK today they would be prepared with the number of boats to send over. Nope. Their plan was to run ONE boat back and forth. The CMs told us that they were not told how many reservations there were and so they weren't expecting that many people to be waiting. Really?? The finally had that data and didn't use it. Disappointing. The CMs there were helpful - called in another boat and some buses and got everyone over, but we got on line at 8:10 and didn't get to the park until 9:30. Hopefully they'll fix it for tomorrow! We're headed to AK though but I hope tomorrow's folks have a better experience. Other than that - an absolutely perfect day. Our longest waits were in the morning - 25 minutes for a couple of rides, and then everything went down to walk on or 10-15 minutes. I was worried about food with so few places open, but the mobile ordering was smooth and fast - even at 12:30-1:00. We had an awesome day! So glad to be back!
not surprised at the wait for boat in morning. have been there on a "normal" day when we left at a 10 pm close and it was after midnight when we got back to fort

That’s the AP calendar, not what the OP was referring to. There is a lot of availability for those dates in the other 2 buckets.

NM, I see you added the other bucket to your post after I responded.
I edited to include regular theme park tickets. Misread it at first, but since OP was looking for a comparison and didn't have access to the calendar on her mobile I offered it.

We arrived today. A few operational updates that I noticed:
  • Magical Express buses have a capacity of 19 guests. The buses are very slow to arrive.
  • Mobile ordering seems to be the only option at times. Captain Cook’s had a cashier at lunch time, but not in the evening. I like charging meals to the room and paying the balance every few days. It would be nice to charge mobile orders to the room
  • Temperature screening and security checks are in the GCH. The trip to MK was fast and easy.
  • Some NBA players were arriving at the GF as we passed.
  • The “cavalcade” at MK happen fairly often.
  • Some of the Country Bears were on the balcony in Frontierland.
  • We arrived just after 4 PM. Wait times were all posted as 5-25 minutes. We walked on pretty much everything we wanted.
  • It’s hot. Masks make it hotter. Yowza!
  • Baked goods and treats are very limited now.
  • Menus are also limited.
  • It’s is eerily empty. Very strange.
  • Did I mention the heat?
  • CMs are doing a great job.
  • Ride vehicles are seated following social distancing guidelines.
  • It is hot.

I’ll try to answer any questions you may have.

• Magical Express buses have a capacity of 19 guests. The buses are very slow to arrive.
  • Mobile ordering seems to be the only option at times. Captain Cook’s had a cashier at lunch time, but not in the evening. I like charging meals to the room and paying the balance every few days. It would be nice to charge mobile orders to the room
  • Temperature screening and security checks are in the GCH. The trip to MK was fast and easy.
  • We arrived just after 4 PM. Wait times were all posted as 5-25 minutes. We walked on pretty much everything we wanted.
  • It is hot.

How long did you wait to board a bus?

• It is hot.

Do they have enough places where you can cool off and get water and hydrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter