Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Numbers are trending up in FL again. I know they were lower due to some testing sites being closed for the hurricane. Will be keeping a close eye on this and crowd levels in the next couple of weeks. I'm prepared to pull the plug on my trip if things continue as they are.

Play more movies in the courtyard, double features. In September have Mulan viewings where maybe you charge $5 per family. Family friendly ghost stories in September/October. More trivia. Water Slide competitions like they do at Vero Beach. These are things that can easily be done with physical distancing and doesn’t cost Disney a single penny extra if they’re using CMs that were working anyway.

Create a “spooky” trail over at Fort Wilderness for the guests at all resorts during Halloween season.

The parks situation, I get it. But theres an opportunity to keep the magic going when guests get back to their resorts early
My family would love if they do somethings like this. Right now my family is contemplating whether to book for next summer or not. We have gone once as a family and planned to go every 3-5 years. The last time we went was October 2018. Most likely we will book and then keep an eye on how things are going with the virus and the experiences being offered. If things don't look good enough for us on both of those fronts, we plan to cancel. We had mentioned if things have improved enough for us on the virus front but there was still such limited offerings at Disney, we would possibly cancel and plan on a possible Outer Banks vacation. Anyway if they did more things like this it could easily give families more options and experiences for their Disney trips. Also it would add some incentives for staying on site which has been greatly diminished.

I cannot imagine in any sane world that there will not be a lawsuit about this and deservedly so. Its like selling someone a porsche with unlimited milage and then forcing them to trade it in for a vw bug capped at 8k per year 3 months later.
They’ve offered refunds for the rest of the time on the annual pass so what would the damages be?

Numbers are trending up in FL again. I know they were lower due to some testing sites being closed for the hurricane. Will be keeping a close eye on this and crowd levels in the next couple of weeks. I'm prepared to pull the plug on my trip if things continue as they are.
What numbers are trending up?

I’m sure that plays a role but I’m certain they have more evidence than we’re aware on the delicate balance between crowd numbers and decreasing their deficit. I think it’s encouraging they could reduce their deficit by being open during a pandemic when Florida is/was a hot spot, and I’m sure they are constantly reflecting on what could open/close to keep crowd numbers the same or increase.

The thing is, there is a balance, and it is based on cases. As long as many states/countries have travel bans/quarantines/isolation on people returning from Florida, they will have a reduced number of guests. In addition, there is a significant portion of people who will not travel to an area that is riskier than staying at home.

I’m positive they could announce every attraction and restaurant is opening tomorrow, and their bookings would not increase enough to cover the costs of doing that, otherwise they probably would have done it.

Its not about covering the costs, or at least it shouldnt be. Its about ensuring the people going or on the fence about going will think its worth it and want to go back. By doing this half open stuff you are really just hurting future business with people questioning what its gonna be like when they go.

They’ve offered refunds for the rest of the time on the annual pass so what would the damages be?

The price of a full refund. You buy a pass with a certain purpose in mind. The company cant just arbitrarily refund how they see fit. I bought my pass and last winter used it for 2 days thus far. A partial refund is not equivalent for me as I had heavy plans to use it this spring to fall.

If only Disney could take a few notes here...

Does anyone know if Universal has already had their Q3 earnings call and how they are doing?
Universal's Q3 is not over until September, result posted in October.

They released Q2 results a few days before Disney.

Revenue dropped 94% EBITDA loss of $400M

Not doing well either

Man I gotta tell ya. We've been watching YouTube videos and it looks like there is more than enough time to do everything during those hours, and probably twice.

I have done the same and I agree with you. We just enjoy being in the parks at night.
It also seems like there is a lack of things to do when staying onsite after 7pm.

Do we really think NBA will be there next year, Spring? :(

This is all so exhausting. Planning this trip, which is normally fun, just sucks lately.

I can't get excited knowing that I may get a call telling me we can't stay at Gran Destino because NBA will be there, again.
We won't switch to a moderate because I don't like outdoor corridors - won't change my mind.
It's not in the budget this time to book a deluxe.

Ugh. I thought next year would be okay. And we will have to wait until only a couple months before trip to find out. The resort we stay in is the SINGLE most important factor in deciding if we would go or not.

But I'm not panicking. Yet. :)

Last edited:
Man I gotta tell ya. We've been watching YouTube videos and it looks like there is more than enough time to do everything during those hours, and probably twice.
Everyone complaining about the reduced hours, I wonder how many have actually been in the parks, I have been in the parks multiple times and completely understand the change. It did not affect my day in any way, I was done and no one was there. I have been there to closing and staying open is nuts is you ask me. As business opens back up there is no doubt Disney will extend the hours.

Do we really think NBA will be there next year, Spring? :(

This is all so exhausting. Planning this trip, which is normally fun, just sucks lately.

I can't get excited knowing that I may get a call telling me we can't stay at Gran Destino because NBA will be there, again.
We won't switch to a moderate because I don't like outdoor corridors - won't change my mind.
It's not in the budget this time to book a deluxe.

Ugh. I thought next year would be okay. And we will have to wait until only a couple months before trip to find out.

I don't see the NBA players signing off on doing the bubble again.

Its not about covering the costs, or at least it shouldnt be. Its about ensuring the people going or on the fence about going will think its worth it and want to go back. By doing this half open stuff you are really just hurting future business with people questioning what its gonna be like when they go.

Well, assuming Chapek (and the executives) believe what they are saying they see it very different than you. They believe demand will be there when things are back to "normal" and the important thing for the short term is if the parks are open they have to have a positive financial impact (not necessarily making money but losing less than from keeping them closed). So if continuing to cut hours and offering a reduces expenses.more than it reduces revenue they will keep doing it

Everyone complaining about the reduced hours, I wonder how many have actually been in the parks, I have been in the parks multiple times and completely understand the change. It did not affect my day in any way, I was done and no one was there. I have been there to closing and staying open is nuts is you ask me. As business opens back up there is no doubt Disney will extend the hours.
..... a few days after they reduced hours. :rolleyes:

I mean, so great as a day or short tripper you got in and got everything you wanted done in the opening hours.

But what about people planning to be there a full week or more? What do they do after the parks close. One evening at DS. Then what?

THERE IS NOTHING TO DO IN THE EVENINGS AT ALL!! Not what you want on a substantial length vacation at Disney prices!

It is impossible, because it’s not safe, which is why the demand isn’t there. This is true for the parks in general right now.

This is the sort of post that has me scratching my head when it comes to “absolute opinions.”

Disney World has been opened Fido. I think that counters your post’s logic completely. MK can be open from 9 am to 6 pm, but not from 6 pm to midnight for a paid event? You can only social distance from 9 to 6, right?

I think the better question is, can they create enough value from a modified Christmas Party experience to reach the demand to make a profit? That’s where the challenge is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter