Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Elitism across this place, called DISboards, can’t believe this is now becoming clear that people on DISboards love Disney.

Inside Universal might be more of your style.

It's funny I only have 3 posters on ignore, yet I always see this thread get sort of confusing since I don't see their posts and who your replying to. So always seems to be the same ones

For the rest of the month, AP holders can only get into a park on 8 days, and the only park available on all 8 of those days is Epcot. But you can walk up and buy a ticket for any park for any day for the rest of the month.

I cannot imagine in any sane world that there will not be a lawsuit about this and deservedly so. Its like selling someone a porsche with unlimited milage and then forcing them to trade it in for a vw bug capped at 8k per year 3 months later.

I cannot imagine in any sane world that there will not be a lawsuit about this and deservedly so. Its like selling someone a porsche with unlimited milage and then forcing them to trade it in for a vw bug capped at 8k per year 3 months later.

Don't think it could come close to winning any sort of lawsuit, but it does suck. I get it, we don't spend as much money as others do. But if the parks are open, why not let us in and spend SOME money? I think I've bought something every time i've gone to the parks since reopen.

You would think they would at least add availability the day before or day of when they see attendance numbers.

The difference in how universal and Disney are handling APs is just mind boggling. Universal is basically begging for more locals to come, Disney is just like nah, we only want the high rollers

I have said, and still believe, that Disney should release numbers when it comes to capacity. For a number of reasons.

First, should be able to make an informed decision on whether to attend the parks, and they cannot make an informed decision without knowing the numbers. Maybe it's 10,000. Maybe it's 30,000. That's a big difference. And in order for someone to make the safest choice for their families, that's something that should be out there.

Second, we know there is a capacity for resort guests, we know there is a capacity for AP holders. What we don't know is the capacity for same-day ticket purchases. Personally...I think day guests should have to make a park reservation just like anyone else. Even if it is the day before. Same-day tickets really feels like a free-for-all at this point.

Yes with numbers improving nationwide and in Florida that is the case
I’ve been thinking that Chapek’s full blaming of Florida cases for the low attendance isn’t sitting right. They stripped park hours, no parades, fireworks, M&Gs. Epcot area resort transport isn’t fun with no boats and having to walk the long way around every time. So many shops and restaurants and resorts closed. QS and places that are open close early. Menus are limited. Perhaps that plays a role too? Paying full price for a less than experience (while necessary) is part of the cause too.

I have said, and still believe, that Disney should release numbers when it comes to capacity. For a number of reasons.

First, should be able to make an informed decision on whether to attend the parks, and they cannot make an informed decision without knowing the numbers. Maybe it's 10,000. Maybe it's 30,000. That's a big difference. And in order for someone to make the safest choice for their families, that's something that should be out there.

Second, we know there is a capacity for resort guests, we know there is a capacity for AP holders. What we don't know is the capacity for same-day ticket purchases. Personally...I think day guests should have to make a park reservation just like anyone else. Even if it is the day before. Same-day tickets really feels like a free-for-all at this point.
have you been to the parks since they reopen and seen how busy the tickets windows are?
If you haven't I can tell you that they are not busy at all, they might have 3 or 4 window open with only one costumer, and I have rope dropped all parks several times and have also gone later in the day. I don't think same day sales are a problem.
And yeah Disney will never release numbers, what might be a comfortable 10k people for you will not be for another family that might decide to not come.
Look at Universal, they don't offer reservations and have been fine with capacity, hitting only once, no huge lines either (30 to 40 min or less most times) no huge outbreak linked to it either.
Disney I think has a set number and they still haven;t hit it yet. They might be thinking that 60 min lines are alright for most guest.
Also reports from this weekend and MDE showed longer wait times at some points of the day but not all day long. The informed visitor will come to threads like these and know what to expect from reports, the uninformed will most likely not care

I’ve been thinking that Chapek’s full blaming of Florida cases for the low attendance isn’t sitting right with me. They stripped park hours, no parades/fireworks/meet and greets. Epcot area resort transport isn’t fun with no boats and having to walk the long way around every time. So many shops and restaurants and resorts closed. QS and places that are open close early. Menus are limited. Perhaps that plays a role too? Paying full price for a less than experience (while necessary) is part of the cause too.
100% agree, there are those that won't come because of the virus and those who won't come because of the limited experience

I’ve been thinking that Chapek’s full blaming of Florida cases for the low attendance isn’t sitting right with me. They stripped park hours, no parades/fireworks/meet and greets. Epcot area resort transport isn’t fun with no boats and having to walk the long way around every time. So many shops and restaurants and resorts closed. QS and places that are open close early. Menus are limited. Perhaps that plays a role too? Paying full price for a less than experience (while necessary) is part of the cause too.
There's so many reasons! Those that you said, plus some people's prefered hotels being closed, water parks closed, lack of atmosphere, M*'s, current quarantines, potential changes to quarantines at any time affecting future plans, potential further reductions in Disney service, concern over future of some airlines, concern over safety of traveling, concern over safety of TS restaurants. I could go on and on.

Also, even pre covid many were saying disney was reaching a tipping point with reductions in entertainment and hours vs price rises. Now that tipping point was probably different for each visitor, but covid had pushed it over the limit for a significant amount of people.

Ignore covid, and think back to what you got for your money 10 to 15 years ago vs early this year.

There's so many reasons! Those that you said, plus some people's prefered hotels being closed, water parks closed, lack of atmosphere, M*'s, current quarantines, potential changes to quarantines at any time affecting future plans, potential further reductions in Disney service, concern over future of some airlines, concern over safety of traveling, concern over safety of TS restaurants. I could go on and on.
Exactly. What’s bumming me out is the realization that they’ll most likely start to up capacity for quite a while before bringing back many of the things that were cut to this point.

I’ve been thinking that Chapek’s full blaming of Florida cases for the low attendance isn’t sitting right. They stripped park hours, no parades, fireworks, M&Gs. Epcot area resort transport isn’t fun with no boats and having to walk the long way around every time. So many shops and restaurants and resorts closed. QS and places that are open close early. Menus are limited. Perhaps that plays a role too? Paying full price for a less than experience (while necessary) is part of the cause too.

Might be adding to things a bit - certainly for the more die hards

But I really think for the average person it is way more about the external factors. I mean, that is only one data point but there was the post with that survey that said 72% of people won't go to an amusement park right now. So if you are taking your starting population who would potentially go to WDW and cut it down to a new starting point of only 28%, you just don't have the demand.

Now if Disney was going all out with extra promotions and special events, maybe they would attract a high portion of that 28% but that isn't the overall driving force

And for all the praise that Universal is given for treating their passholders better, unless I have been missing things those parks looks pretty darn empty too - so obviously that isn't the main factor

I’m sure that plays a role but I’m certain they have more evidence than we’re aware on the delicate balance between crowd numbers and decreasing their deficit. I think it’s encouraging they could reduce their deficit by being open during a pandemic when Florida is/was a hot spot, and I’m sure they are constantly reflecting on what could open/close to keep crowd numbers the same or increase.

The thing is, there is a balance, and it is based on cases. As long as many states/countries have travel bans/quarantines/isolation on people returning from Florida, they will have a reduced number of guests. In addition, there is a significant portion of people who will not travel to an area that is riskier than staying at home.

I’m positive they could announce every attraction and restaurant is opening tomorrow, and their bookings would not increase enough to cover the costs of doing that, otherwise they probably would have done it.

Might be adding to things a bit - certainly for the more die hards

But I really think for the average person it is way more about the external factors. I mean, that is only one data point but there was the post with that survey that said 72% of people won't go to an amusement park right now. So if you are taking your starting population who would potentially go to WDW and cut it down to a new starting point of only 28%, you just don't have the demand.

Now if Disney was going all out with extra promotions and special events, maybe they would attract a high portion of that 28% but that isn't the overall driving force

And for all the praise that Universal is given for treating their passholders better, unless I have been missing things those parks looks pretty darn empty too - so obviously that isn't the main factor
Yeah, plus that assumes all visitors were domestic. For WDW that is far from true, in an average year I dont know what % of wdw are international but its surely well into double digit %. Right now most (all?) of those just cannot travel to USA at all even if they wanted to.

and I would also like to point out that when Disney started crunching numbers on capacity they had in mind that all the shows would be operating, it wasn't until very late that the Union decided too pull equity out. Disney had already recalled all performers for the shows

have you been to the parks since they reopen and seen how busy the tickets windows are?
If you haven't I can tell you that they are not busy at all, they might have 3 or 4 window open with only one costumer, and I have rope dropped all parks several times and have also gone later in the day. I don't think same day sales are a problem.
And yeah Disney will never release numbers, what might be a comfortable 10k people for you will not be for another family that might decide to not come.
Look at Universal, they don't offer reservations and have been fine with capacity, hitting only once, no huge lines either (30 to 40 min or less most times) no huge outbreak linked to it either.
Disney I think has a set number and they still haven;t hit it yet. They might be thinking that 60 min lines are alright for most guest.
Also reports from this weekend and MDE showed longer wait times at some points of the day but not all day long. The informed visitor will come to threads like these and know what to expect from reports, the uninformed will most likely not care

I have not, but judging by the pictures and reports I have seen and read, it just seems like either they are letting in more people than they should or capacity is higher than it should be. One or the other.

What I meant by 10K or 30K is....if I, as a guest, know I am going to be in the park with potentially 10K other people, that's one thing. But, if it's going to be 30K other people or 50K other people, that is a vast difference. That is why I think those numbers should be out there...so people can assess their potential risk and make a decision accordingly.

For example, where I live, events are limited to 250 people per event space. So, I know if I am going to x-y-z event, I could be there with possibly 250 other people. Maybe less....but I have to be prepared for the most. If I show up, and there is 1,000 people there, I am turning around and going home. Maybe I am projecting a bit, but there is some distrust that people/businesses/restaurants/etc will abide by the capacity limits, because I have seen capacity limits ignored and blown so many times. So...when I see these crowds at Disney, it feels like....they are just doing the same.

Look at Disney Springs in the evening; I don't know what their limit is there, but I would be stunned to know they are adhering to any sort of capacity. I'm not sure how it could be higher.

I have not, but judging by the pictures and reports I have seen and read, it just seems like either they are letting in more people than they should or capacity is higher than it should be. One or the other.

What I meant by 10K or 30K is....if I, as a guest, know I am going to be in the park with potentially 10K other people, that's one thing. But, if it's going to be 30K other people or 50K other people, that is a vast difference. That is why I think those numbers should be out there...so people can assess their potential risk and make a decision accordingly.

For example, where I live, events are limited to 250 people per event space. So, I know if I am going to x-y-z event, I could be there with possibly 250 other people. Maybe less....but I have to be prepared for the most. If I show up, and there is 1,000 people there, I am turning around and going home. Maybe I am projecting a bit, but there is some distrust that people/businesses/restaurants/etc will abide by the capacity limits, because I have seen capacity limits ignored and blown so many times. So...when I see these crowds at Disney, it feels like....they are just doing the same.

Look at Disney Springs in the evening; I don't know what their limit is there, but I would be stunned to know they are adhering to any sort of capacity. I'm not sure how it could be higher.
yeah, that's the kinda thing that will drive people crazy, the not knowing the numbers
I truly think the increase this weekend was due to people seeing and reading reports of the first 3 weeks and wanting in, feeling more comfortable coming, maybe getting last minute vacations or staycations before school starts (Orange Co starts tomorrow)
I don't think they are limiting entrance into DS but they are for the stores. I haven't been to DS on the weekends or in the evening as I know that is when it's most crowded, I did go this past Friday, at 1pm and it was super empty aside from inside Chicken Guy.
I would keep an eye out on reports from this week and see if the weekend was an anomaly or people are just starting to come again. I'll be at MK Tuesday for rope drop, also going to Universal and SW this week, I'll make sure to post my impressions or you can watch my live streams so you can see for yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter