Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am actually against FP. I used to like it, but now I've come around to the viewpoint that it's the constant moving in line that matters to me. Sure, I could get 3 fastpasses or maybe a few more in a day. But it's nearly impossible to get a FP for every ride and keep constantly riding (unless you just want to do IASW 20 times).

But Disney has done a great job lately of making interesting queues. So long as you're constantly moving, the wait really doesn't seem that bad to me. Sometimes I wish I had even more time in queues like Peter Pan.

I am actually against FP. I used to like it, but now I've come around to the viewpoint that it's the constant moving in line that matters to me. Sure, I could get 3 fastpasses or maybe a few more in a day. But it's nearly impossible to get a FP for every ride and keep constantly riding (unless you just want to do IASW 20 times).

But Disney has done a great job lately of making interesting queues. So long as you're constantly moving, the wait really doesn't seem that bad to me. Sometimes I wish I had even more time in queues like Peter Pan.

I feel like Disney is trying to make everyone a little happy (including themselves) but providing something that gives you some "quick access" but isn't as "classist" as what Universal does (meaning, you don't have to pay extra to get at least some benefit from it).

I know some people that just flat out refuse to wait more than 20 mins on any line - so they just do what they can get FPs for and that if there was no FP and many, many lines were 30mis+ they just wouldn't go. ..... but I also know others that hate FP+ and are ok waiting as long as the line moves .... you just cant' make everyone happy

I am with you, as long as vast majority of lines were less than like 40mins and just not sure if that would be the case. Obviously it should minimize the 90-120+ min waits, but I could see a lot of lines have 40+ min waits.

Personally I would like to see it continue in some form but be for few rides and be a smaller percentage of the passes for the rides that do have it. it might create a bit of a class sytem in that those fewer spots would either cost $ directly or be captured by those staying on property for longer stays, but it would make the SB lines move a bit better/more consistently, and then rides that really dont' need it (like Omnimover rides or things like Pirates) can just have standby). ... And then those that really like FP and are willign to pay for it have that ability

Personally I would like to see it continue in some form but be for few rides and be a smaller percentage of the passes for the rides that do have it. it might create a bit of a class sytem in that those fewer spots would either cost $ directly or be captured by those staying on property for longer stays, but it would make the SB lines move a bit better/more consistently, and then rides that really dont' need it (like Omnimover rides or things like Pirates) can just have standby). ... And then those that really like FP and are willign to pay for it have that ability

I agree with the paragraph I left on there. One of my biggest problems with fastpass began when they started using them for HM and POTC.

I was at WDW about 3 times a year for a few years before they began FP for those rides (just saying I feel I have a good frame of reference for wait times). Before FP began you'd be hard pressed to see POTC or HM over 20 minute wait unless it was some sort of holiday or event happening.

After FP, the standby waits for those attractions rarely seemed to be under 30 minutes and were usually more like 40 or higher. Especially POTC.

Those attractions never needed them and they only hurt the lines. They were only added to increase the availability of fastpasses.

I'd be happier if FP was only available for a handful of attractions like FOP, ROTR, MMRR, things like that. Just don't bog down other attractions with fastpasses because there aren't enough to go around for the headliners.

I agree with the paragraph I left on there. One of my biggest problems with fastpass began when they started using them for HM and POTC.

I was at WDW about 3 times a year for a few years before they began FP for those rides (just saying I feel I have a good frame of reference for wait times). Before FP began you'd be hard pressed to see POTC or HM over 20 minute wait unless it was some sort of holiday or event happening.

After FP, the standby waits for those attractions rarely seemed to be under 30 minutes and were usually more like 40 or higher. Especially POTC.

Those attractions never needed them and they only hurt the lines. They were only added to increase the availability of fastpasses.

I'd be happier if FP was only available for a handful of attractions like FOP, ROTR, MMRR, things like that. Just don't bog down other attractions with fastpasses because there aren't enough to go around for the headliners.

Those two attractions are the exact two I think of when it comes to FP having an overall negative impact. I think we could probably throw Spaceship Earth in there too.

I vaguely remember Josh at easyWDW doing an analysis on wait times from the impact of the move from FP- to + and I’m fairly sure the results were basically it was a positive for the popular headliners, but negatively effected the mid tier attractions where it was added because they needed addition FP+ capacity to make the system work.

I feel like Disney is trying to make everyone a little happy (including themselves) but providing something that gives you some "quick access" but isn't as "classist" as what Universal does (meaning, you don't have to pay extra to get at least some benefit from it).

Hargids is often Virtual only and no extra charge. I think we may see more of the RotR types where the SB line has no wait-literally.

Not to perpetuate the topic but here's a former imagineer (just got laid off) sharing her thoughts on fp
Totally get that! I just wondered if it would help NOW (not in normal times) with the 6" distancing since lines are long but the wait isn't necessarily long. In normal times it makes waits longer for sure, but with capped capacity and controlled FPs I wonder if it would help with length now.

Seems most people don't want FP to ever return. That's interesting to me. We live and die by the rolling 4th FP. Waiting on Genie at this point.

I love FP and hope it returns when this is all over and they keep the longer window for onsite guests. We are rope drop people. We usually hit less popular rides first thing and you can get quite a few done since everyone goes to a headliner. We then have FP for the headliners. Of course this mostly works in MK with no FP tiers. Epcot isn't a bad one for this plan either for us since we aren't fans of Soarin since they changed the screen (Sorry:)). We skip it now all together since it all seems so distorted to us. HWS FP is terrible with the tiers the way they are. That I would love to see changed when FP returns!

Hargids is often Virtual only and no extra charge. I think we may see more of the RotR types where the SB line has no wait-literally.

RotR can have a significant SB wait once you are called.

The need for the virtual queue there from my understanding has a lot less to do with less waiting and a lot more to do with line management for an ultra popular and sometimes unreliable attraction.

I think we may see more of that in the future - or at least I would like it. Have smaller FP pool and fewer rides with FP and then once any SB line gets 40mins+ you get a virtual queue spot

Obviously need more "other stuff" to do while not on line then so doesn't work now, but in the future I would welcome that

I think we may see more of that in the future - or at least I would like it. Have smaller FP pool and fewer rides with FP and then once any SB line gets 40mins+ you get a virtual queue spot

Obviously need more "other stuff" to do while not on line then so doesn't work now, but in the future I would welcome that
That’s the main crux of the issue. They need to severely limit what will get FP lines, if they bring FP back. It should be limited to the Tier 1 type of rides and not for things like HM, Pirates, Pooh, Dumbo. If they bring back FP that way, I’d love it.

Those two attractions are the exact two I think of when it comes to FP having an overall negative impact. I think we could probably throw Spaceship Earth in there too.

I vaguely remember Josh at easyWDW doing an analysis on wait times from the impact of the move from FP- to + and I’m fairly sure the results were basically it was a positive for the popular headliners, but negatively effected the mid tier attractions where it was added because they needed addition FP+ capacity to make the system work.

Yep, add Spaceship Earth to that too.

I remember waiting for that one without a fastpass before COVID. We thought it'd be a quick wait because the standby only took up one queue line. Nope, one time we just stood there for 11 minutes without moving. Even if the FP line was empty and someone was standing at the entrance they still wouldn't let anyone from the standby go.

When the CM finally let the standby go people were urging each other to go fast before they cut it off again.

RotR can have a significant SB wait once you are called.

The need for the virtual queue there from my understanding has a lot less to do with less waiting and a lot more to do with line management for an ultra popular and sometimes unreliable attraction.

Hagrids was very short every time, but I think those types of rides will work much better for Virtual than RotR.

FoP would be similar IMO-much harder to keep that timely.

I hope they continue and eliminate SB for these newer more popular attractions straight forward attractions, like Guardians, Rat and Tron.

They just need to smooth it out so its minimal wait once your up.

Hagrids is only VQ because of Covid. They don't want the line spilling out of HP land. Was never virtual before then

Yea and FoP is tough to make work virtual. But the line does stretch across continents for that currently.

Hagrid’s didn’t use a VQ either of the two days I was there last month. Line did spill into the land at times.

Right, they'll only use it if the line starts getting too long. I was in line one time, and saw the VQ went live. Jumped out of line, the employee was wondering why I was leaving, I said I just got a time for later. She was about to say there was no VQ until I showed her lol.

Right, they'll only use it if the line starts getting too long. I was in line one time, and saw the VQ went live. Jumped out of line, the employee was wondering why I was leaving, I said I just got a time for later. She was about to say there was no VQ until I showed her lol.

Yep same, we were prepared for that as well. Why I mentioned it is "often" VQ.

I just don’t think WDW is designed or it’s in Disney’s benefit to eliminate physical queues to the greatest extent they can. I don’t believe this is what a widespread usage of the VQ will eventually look like. I think physical queues are important for containing people and keeping them busy. There’s only so much extra spending you can milk out of people.

I wonder if we see it as a line management tool similar to how it is at ROTR to keep stand by at reasonable levels and provide something “free” while running in tandem with a paid FP like system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter