Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
wonder if that is more evidence that the people there are locals/frequent visitors that likely already have built their droid if they were interested - vs the family doing there big "every few years" trip that are there to buy all the souvenirs

Probably some truth to this- we didn’t build a droid or lightsaber because we’ve already done it before. I feel for folks visiting the first time tho experiencing the marketplace area of Batuu- that’s so not the best way to experience it. The line is so long and it’s so awkward to shop when they only allow one person in a store at a time so everybody’s just staring at you like ‘hurry up!’ We rushed through it just bc it was odd but we’ve done SWGE quite extensively already.

wonder if that is more evidence that the people there are locals/frequent visitors that likely already have built their droid if they were interested - vs the family doing there big "every few years" trip that are there to buy all the souvenirs

I have a few theories on this ... maybe it’s a mix of a few things.

1. Lots of locals/frequent visitors have already done it.

2. You can’t send it back to your resort right now, you have to lug it around all day.

3. With so many people out of work, or their businesses not doing well, I could see some people keeping trips when they’ve already purchased tickets, flights, etc. but perhaps cutting back on their in-park spending/special experiences.

Last edited:
Sorry if someone already explained, I'm on break at work and just scanning the boards
Let's say 50 people have fp and 50 are on standby. When they reach the attraction almost all 50 fp people will be let through while the standby continues to grow. There's stopping to ask how many, to tell people where to go and although this process seems like it takes seconds the constant doing of it builds time
Compound that with thr fact that the ride is operating at less capacity it means either they cut gp allowance significantly, meaning that they will be harder to get, or, they keep current numbers and thr standby will just balloon
With just standby operating now the process to load attractions goes much quicker and smoother and makes for a standby line that looks long but it's constantly moving.
This is even without counting the stoppage time due to cleaning

The pin was sold out 3 hours after the release that day
What about a combo of FP+ & virtual queues for the reg line?

What about a combo of FP+ & virtual queues for the reg line?

For now it wouldn't work as there isn't enough "other stuff" for people to do while waiting for their FP or VQ to come due

In normal times it could work - though I think VQ would need to be to return to a SB line of 40mins+ or something (so helps avoid the 2+ hour lines but need to use the queue space somewhat). And still would say things like HM and Pirates are better with just SB

I think that is possible. When I was there is January I did the lightsaber but didn't do the droid on that trip but only because I was coming back in April which we all know didn't happen. So I'll be doing one on next month's january trip BUT if things had gone as planned I'd already have one and likely wouldn't do another.

Was excited though today went to DS since yesterday was a cluster, and saw these signs for merchandise release with an arrow. So of course I was curious and had to find out. Was all the way in the corner near the art of the disney store where they were selling the Disneyland 65h Anniversay funko pop with Walt and the Castle. Makes sense why I was seeing people walking around with about 10 boxes.

I don't collect funko pop's but I bought one for myself. There didn't seem to be any limit as they were asking people how many they wanted

Saw a couple of Disney Vloggers right behind me, so will be checking out their vids to see if I'm in it lol
this just makes me want to cry 😔

Disneyland’s 60th was so awesome. I had the privilege of going right when it launched. There was an excitement in the air amongst CMs- like all of them were happy and exited. ALL. It was awesome. Even when we called for stuff in the couple months leading up to that trip the CMs were excited. The on-site hotels redid their room keys to reflect the diamond celebration. The parks freaking sparkled. I know the 65th wasn’t going to be as special, but there were gonna be some special things! like Snow White’s update!

You know, I hope WDW’s 50th has some of that happiness and excitement. I know COVID will put a damper on it, but even some of that excitement would be magical right now!

Alas back to the now... the fact that DLR is having to push out their merch at WDW is just so, so sad 😢

You know, I hope WDW’s 50th has some of that happiness and excitement. I know COVID will put a damper on it, but even some of that excitement would be magical right now!

I do too. The start is of the 50th may be a bit weird at what hopefully is the tail end of COVID but it is a year long thing so hopefully as we move into 2022 they can really do it up. The start of it though is right on that line where we hopefully should be close to normal so I have hopes even for the start but at least by a few months in we should be good (good willing and the creek don't rise)

I do too. The start is of the 50th may be a bit weird at what hopefully is the tail end of COVID but it is a year long thing so hopefully as we move into 2022 they can really do it up. The start of it though is right on that line where we hopefully should be close to normal so I have hopes even for the start but at least by a few months in we should be good (good willing and the creek don't rise)

I’m feeling very hopeful about it. The holidays and 50th combined should be a great atmosphere.

I feel like Disney is trying to make everyone a little happy (including themselves) but providing something that gives you some "quick access" but isn't as "classist" as what Universal does (meaning, you don't have to pay extra to get at least some benefit from it).

I know some people that just flat out refuse to wait more than 20 mins on any line - so they just do what they can get FPs for and that if there was no FP and many, many lines were 30mis+ they just wouldn't go. ..... but I also know others that hate FP+ and are ok waiting as long as the line moves .... you just cant' make everyone happy

I am with you, as long as vast majority of lines were less than like 40mins and just not sure if that would be the case. Obviously it should minimize the 90-120+ min waits, but I could see a lot of lines have 40+ min waits.

Personally I would like to see it continue in some form but be for few rides and be a smaller percentage of the passes for the rides that do have it. it might create a bit of a class sytem in that those fewer spots would either cost $ directly or be captured by those staying on property for longer stays, but it would make the SB lines move a bit better/more consistently, and then rides that really dont' need it (like Omnimover rides or things like Pirates) can just have standby). ... And then those that really like FP and are willign to pay for it have that ability
I think the classist aspect of WDW is that FP+ heavily favors those who plan meticulously and are able to reserve their fast passes at 6am 60 days before their trip. If you didn’t know about any of that, FP+ would be terrible because it makes the standby lines for the top end rides much longer than they would have been otherwise.

Was excited though today went to DS since yesterday was a cluster, and saw these signs for merchandise release with an arrow. So of course I was curious and had to find out. Was all the way in the corner near the art of the disney store where they were selling the Disneyland 65h Anniversay funko pop with Walt and the Castle. Makes sense why I was seeing people walking around with about 10 boxes.

I don't collect funko pop's but I bought one for myself. There didn't seem to be any limit as they were asking people how many they wanted

Saw a couple of Disney Vloggers right behind me, so will be checking out their vids to see if I'm in it lol
I really hope they re-stock that one. They released it online at 3am eastern with no warning and they were gone in a matter of minutes. They’re now up on eBay for $130 to $150 each.

I think the classist aspect of WDW is that FP+ heavily favors those who plan meticulously and are able to reserve their fast passes at 6am 60 days before their trip. If you didn’t know about any of that, FP+ would be terrible because it makes the standby lines for the top end rides much longer than they would have been otherwise.

I guess I don't see that as classist - jsut beneficial to certain personality types. But everyone that wants to can plan out things and get online right at 6am of the first day they are eligible, etc. Yes there is a benefit if you stay on property but that benefit is the same if you stay at a Value or a Deluxe. And for everyone, if you buy a park ticket you get access to the system. I mean, there are a million things in life that if you do research for you are better prepared for them.

I see that very different than like what Universal does where you have to have a park ticket and then bay an extra fee (sometimes a fee more than the actual park ticket) just to have access to the system (or that benefit is included if you stay at a Deluxe resort)

I guess I don't see that as classist - jsut beneficial to certain personality types. But everyone that wants to can plan out things and get online right at 6am of the first day they are eligible, etc. Yes there is a benefit if you stay on property but that benefit is the same if you stay at a Value or a Deluxe. And for everyone, if you buy a park ticket you get access to the system. I mean, there are a million things in life that if you do research for you are better prepared for them.

I see that very different than like what Universal does where you have to have a park ticket and then bay an extra fee (sometimes a fee more than the actual park ticket) just to have access to the system (or that benefit is included if you stay at a Deluxe resort)
I agree, it's different than what Universal does with the Express Pass. However, Disney's fastpass system with the booking two months out does create a class of people who know how to work the system who have a huge advantage over those who do not. Disneyland isn't nearly as bad because everything is day of and you can get a fastpass to whatever ride you want if you head to the kiosks at the beginning of the day.

I agree, it's different than what Universal does with the Express Pass. However, Disney's fastpass system with the booking two months out does create a class of people who know how to work the system who have a huge advantage over those who do not. Disneyland isn't nearly as bad because everything is day of and you can get a fastpass to whatever ride you want if you head to the kiosks at the beginning of the day.

Are we dividing people into classes based on knowledge and abilities?

This whole argument aside, I've always been amazed at the sheer number of people who spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on a Disney vacation, and do absolutely zero research. Even a cursory Google search would have given them ample warning about ADR's and FP's.

Now, I've gotten flak for this in the past because it's not exactly an egalitarian tenet, but I've always advocated for more classes and sub-classes, not less. On property? You get earlier access than off-property. Deluxe resort? You get access a day before moderate and two before value.

At some point, between the introduction of FP+, the steep increase in rates, and the addition of perks for good neighbor properties, this became a disaster. Add in the loss of luggage transfer and the diminishing quality of Transportation, and there's less and less reason to pay on-property prices each year.

This whole argument aside, I've always been amazed at the sheer number of people who spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on a Disney vacation, and do absolutely zero research. Even a cursory Google search would have given them ample warning about ADR's and FP's.

I couldn't agree more! I hate the argument that FP+ benefits those in the know and not those that just show up. That's exactly the point! We should get a little bump (like knowing about rolling 4th FP+) for being in the know. If you don't care to take 2 minutes and do a Google search or talk to a travel agent before you just show up, that should be YOUR problem. Wait in the hour long line and be happy. For those that know the system and are used to it, waiting over an hour for 3 minute rides doesn't always feel worth it. I'll always remember listening in on a family in the Pooh que wondering what all the little "bracelets" were for.

I can't imagine going anywhere without doing a little bit of research first. We were supposed to go to Anaheim next April (piggybacking with a work conference). Do you think I'd have just got off the plane and said, "Here I am! What to do next?" No - I researched the H-E- double hockey sticks out of hotels, how Disneyland works, how to get one place to the next, places to eat. And it would be the same no matter where we were going - not just to a Disney park.

As for classes, I'm OK with that as long as out-of-state APs get a little bit of love. There's a big difference in paying the in-state, monthly pass rate and dropping thousands of dollars at once on out-of-state Platinum passes for a family of four. I hate when we get lumped in with those who can just "hop over to the parks any day after work or on a weekend."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter