Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PR implications - Universal’s decision to open when they are and the actual opening is being talked about like its already gone off without a hitch and there have been no major hiccups as well as virus related consequences.

Disney could very well be making the best call for their guests if they hold out longer.

The idea of things closing down in the late Fall/early Winter due to a big return of the virus bring up another point. If they continue to delay their opening, what happens if they have to close back down in November and not be able to open again until the Spring. Its not like the virus returning in the fall/winter is a conspiracy theory, many believe it’ll close things down again. So if Disney decides to wait until August to reopen, they get a solid 3 months of being open as opposed to 5 months if they open in mid June. That extra two months is ALOT of money to turn down
As we go over every day and throughout the 730 pages of this thread there are many pieces to this. The NBA is one, future concerns are one, safety is one, the list goes on. I certainly don’t envy the ones who have to decides what the best options are.

If Disney doesn’t open parks and resorts until later this year, in the meantime ...

- Some people who planned to go to Disney and can’t will do a trip to Universal instead. Some of them will likely still go back to Disney for a trip in the future. Maybe some will stick with Universal forever (But I don’t think many will actually swear off Disney forever.)

-Some people who planned to go to Disney and can’t will skip a theme park trip this year because they wanted to go to Disney & Universal is not a substitute for them.

- Some who didn’t have a trip planned this year and were unaffected by this disruption will still go in 2021 or beyond as they planned. I don’t see many (any?) of them swearing off Disney forever.

The number of people who completely swear off Disney forever because they didn’t open when other parks did is pretty limited, in my opinion. Not everyone will substitute the Disney trip they couldn’t do with another Orlando theme park.

Last edited:
One thing I don’t think is getting enough attention is the change in guidance from the CDC when it comes to surface transmission. You would think that would make far easier to operate the parks, resorts and resort transportation.
Yes and no. It also makes it more difficult in terms of airborne exchange. Disney certainly is watching the science aspect as well which also changes daily.

I’m not sure that there will be a need for any kind spin. Disney has made it very clear that WDW & DL are closed until further notice. Repeatedly in the media; on social media and in the form of a pop up on all of their websites when you log on, and even MDE has temporary closure at the very top of the page along with the pop up about understanding the possibility of a covid exposure at WDW. Closed. And without any promise of a specific reopening date. They couldn’t be more clear. Even yesterday’s Guest Relations update saying If you are planning during this uncertain period once we reopen.. you may not get the disney experience you’ve come to know & adjustments may need to be made in “real time” to any existing plans you may have made... In other words.. we are telling you that things are not the norm so please don’t expect more then we are telling you. It’s not that there has been a lack of info.. for some It’s been a case of not accepting what is being said.

Other then to those of us who are disney obsessed it will likely not mean that much to the General public who vacation at Disney, they are more likely to take things in stride and if their current disney trip doesn’t work out - they’ll just rebook or postpone. They won’t require any kind of spin.

Does everyone realize the earliest a NBA player will step foot on Disney property is Mid July? This is from the ESPN article on the talks with Disney.
They aren’t planning games to start until end of July. As I and many posters have mentioned before, the season and playoffs will not be over quick. Does anyone think Disney would be closed until September? If not then the NBA thing will
Have no effect on the parks. Honestly I think Disney has way more to sort out the UO ever would and it just takes longer to open a Much bigger operation. The NBA stuff is happening on the side and everyone is ready WAY too much into it. But Disney has not been communicating well so it is easy to read into every single tea leaf.

Attachments

• 56F0632F-E849-4F44-909B-96AA9C32F84F.jpeg
    56F0632F-E849-4F44-909B-96AA9C32F84F.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 17
Yes and no. It also makes it more difficult in terms of airborne exchange. Disney certainly is watching the science aspect as well which also changes daily.
I don’t think it makes it more difficult with airborne exchange. That was always a concern hence the mask mandates. It would seem to remove the need to sanitize every surface someone may touch on a frequent basis.

They won’t own the NBA playoffs and they won’t get part of the NBA’s licensing deals. Disney hosting the playoffs doesn’t change the fact that Turner Sports has a large chunk of the playoff TV package. The NBA isn’t sharing their licensing money with anyone.

Are you privy to those negotiations? If they don’t finish the season, nobody makes any licensing money. NBA and Turner are both going to need to concede revenue to whoever hosts. Disney or otherwise.

I don’t see how it makes it more difficult on airborne exchange. Nothing has changed when it comes to that.

Are you privy to those negotiations? If they don’t finish the season, nobody makes any licensing money. NBA and Turner are both going to need to concede revenue to whoever hosts. Disney or otherwise.
AT&T isn’t conceding revenue to Disney. The NBA is still generating licensing money. The NBA is not going to concede their licensing money to anyone. If Disney would have asked for any of that, the NBA would find a way to make Vegas work.

AT&T isn’t conceding revenue to Disney. The NBA is still generating licensing money. The NBA is not going to concede their licensing money to anyone. If Disney would have asked for any of that, the NBA would find a way to make Vegas work.
If anything WDW sees the NBA as hotel occupancy that doesn't fill the parks. The idea that all these broadcasting contracts are out the window because the location changes is silly.

Not to play the Disney defender card but ticket don’t ever lose value. Yes you may have to pay more to use them in the future but it’s not like if you have an unused ticket with $400 you have to pay another $420 to buy a new one. You would just pay $20.

Except that often tickets go up even more than that. And it's not just the increase in tickets, but the increase in rooms, in food etc...

So suddenly for a family of 4, it turns into a $500 increase. Which not everyone can or wants to cover.

One thing I don’t think is getting enough attention is the change in guidance from the CDC when it comes to surface transmission. You would think that would make it far easier to operate the parks, resorts and resort transportation.
I think the issue is they said that and nothing else. In order for companies, or even us, to make decisions they info CDC didn’t release. Like what is safe, what should be cleaned & on what time table?

Except that often tickets go up even more than that. And it's not just the increase in tickets, but the increase in rooms, in food etc...

So suddenly for a family of 4, it turns into a $500 increase. Which not everyone can or wants to cover.
I understand. I was just giving an example.

People have reported that Disney refunded tickets when they’ve asked. I can understand being upset if they refused when reached out, but anyone who isn’t happy with the ticket situation should at least try to resolve it first.

This is a new and unique scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter