Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like there will not be. However, I wonder if they open some character dining restaurants without the characters. Tusker House for instance could easily still make money without characters. Boma, with a similar menu as Tusker House, makes plenty of money with no characters.
There are certainly some that make sense (gladly still do Topolino's breakfast without characters). There has been much discussion already though on whether there would be any buffets - with or without characters. There's been a lot of discussion due to how buffets would need to be changed for safety purposes. Also, I question whether buffets could possibly make money with the reduced capacity. There's a lot of food waste with buffets, and a lot of food period - that doesn't necessarily change much with fewer diners - food still needs to be put out and kept fresh. However, if there are half or fewer diners, buffets will just take a beating financially. Take out characters as well, buffets seem to be difficult to envision.

I'm curious how much construction has been going on? If they bring back construction the same time as cast members, we may have an unfinished castle.
From all reports most construction was halted when the parks closed to save money. Expect delays on any projects not finished.

There are certainly some that make sense (gladly still do Topolino's breakfast without characters). There has been much discussion already though on whether there would be any buffets - with or without characters. There's been a lot of discussion due to how buffets would need to be changed for safety purposes. Also, I question whether buffets could possibly make money with the reduced capacity. There's a lot of food waste with buffets, and a lot of food period - that doesn't necessarily change much with fewer diners - food still needs to be put out and kept fresh. However, if there are half or fewer diners, buffets will just take a beating financially. Take out characters as well, buffets seem to be difficult to envision.

It will be tough for sure. They'll probably do it where the CM's serve you the food you want.

Trying to see if I am understanding this correctly. I have 3 rooms in late July, 2 rooms are for AP holders so we didn't qualify for free dining when our May trip was cancelled since we weren't purchasing a package. Those 2 rooms had AP discounts for the June trip that was cancelled but now are full rack rates for July since there are no AP discounts. Those rooms won't qualify for the 35% off? My 3rd room was a package and received the free dining for the June trip when the May trip was cancelled. Then it went to a full rack rate for the July trip with no free dining. I'm thinking that room may qualify for the 35% off (haven't received an email yet). What good is being an AP? It is getting me nothing.

I am in the same boat! Had an early May trip planned, room only with AP discount. Obvs that was cancelled and couldn’t take advantage of the free dining since I didn’t need a package. Now we have another trip booked for late October, but we are paying full rack rate and it hardly seems fair that we DON’T get the 35% discount bc we couldn’t take advantage of the free dining offer!

I am in the same boat! Had an early May trip planned, room only with AP discount. Obvs that was cancelled and couldn’t take advantage of the free dining since I didn’t need a package. Now we have another trip booked for late October, but we are paying full rack rate and it hardly seems fair that we DON’T get the 35% discount bc we couldn’t take advantage of the free dining offer!

Got room in the boat for me?

We had a Disney VISA rate for our Riviera stay in March. Lost that a day before they closed, then used our AP discount for our stay that was to have been in June. The trip was higher because we were extended past the AP discount for a few days of the trip and had to use the general discount, but I accepted it. Of course, that got cancelled too.

So, while we were cancelled twice, no discount for us to rebook either. For those who lost the free dining that are complaining about “ only” getting 35% off, count yourself lucky, you could’ve been me. If they wanted to do something for those of us cancelled, they should’ve done something for ALL of us cancelled. The easiest was just to honor the rate we had at the time we originally booked, but they refuse to do so.

It’s just one of many things Disney has done the last 2 months that has turned me off of them. In the end, I took the only real option left to me, I cancelled. When the dust settles, I’ll email them just to be on the record, but it won’t change a thing.

And there it is :). As many of us said, give Disney a chance, and would you look at that, 35% off.

Will it be perfect for everyone? No. Will some people have preferred DDP? Yes. But IMO it’s a good discount and will put a lot (not all) people ahead financially especially considering restrictions there may be on restaurants, TS in particular.
Agree. At least they made an effort to provide a discount. I think it’s fair, given the circumstances.

Received an email at 1:46AM stating that fast passes have gone away and that my annual pass doesn’t guarantee entry due to the new reservation system. It also says there will be a special passholder preview with details coming in the future....
However, because you have valid Theme Park admission, you will have access to the Theme Park reservation system before new tickets are sold to other Guests. There’s nothing you need to do at this time. We’ll be contacting you soon with details on this new system.

Something I noticed today when I looked at the MDE app. When I click on “Tickets and Passes” I see my original 5 day passes with a validity date extended through 9/26/21 but I also see a “FP PLANNING KEY CARD” for each member in my party with a valid date of 7/20/20 which matches the last day of of our resort reservation. Any
My September tickets were extended but I don’t see the second thing you mention. But I still have my ADR’s too 🤣

I emailed them today about my AP that expired during the closure period. I want a real answer as to where I stand with this thing, I assumed I had an active AP because it was active on the date of closure but some phone CMs have told folks their AP will be extended and others have told them they aren't eligible for an extension because it's no longer "active". (My AP expired so long ago it no longer even shows on MDE.)

I'm sure they'll get around to answering at some point in the next month :rotfl2:

I would love to hear what they respond. I got the Passholder email, and I now see where this rumor about the “active” AP comes from. The email says if you paid in full and you have an “active” AP that it will be extended.

So, this is the thing. I *had* an active AP when the parks closed on March 16. But, that AP has expired and doesn’t show on MDE anymore. I had not been concerned since all the original language said the APs would be extended for the number of days the parks were closed. Now that language is all gone.

With our free dining being gone, and our trip being so close to reopening, having those APs extended are critical to covering our entry.

Good gravy you people can TALK :rotfl2:

Its taken me 4 days but I have finally caught up.

I really feel for all of you having everything cancelled just like that but in a way it makes sense.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is that there are a whole heap of internationals who buy 14 day tickets which up to the lockdown, guaranteed them entry into the parks for 14 days. Add in the free dining offer which most international get, and its a whole other cluster pluck. Without the free dining many internationals are priced out.

Ready through all the updates, its really looking like Disney have really drilled down their customer profiles and segmented their target guests into a really small group of people. They know that there is a group of people who will want to come to the parks no matter they reduce, restriction or suspend. If you don't self cancel and accept all the changes and restrictions, then you are the person / family that Disney is targeting for this initial reopening phase.

If the new procedures, restrictions, lack of entertainment and dining etc and overall loss of the Disney experience you expect and have previously experienced make you cancel, then thats fine with Disney, they don't want you. And yes thats tough to hear but its the reality.

Yes I know its hard to swallow at the moment, all the things that made Disney a Magical place for you. But we have to be realistic. Businesses all over the world are doing similar reopening plans, focusing on staff health and safety and taking a hit on profits and customer / guest experiences. Business just want to reopen, and are taking whatever measures necessary, knowing full well that a large portion of their customers / guests will not accept the new procedures and a reduction in the experience.

Right now its not about profits, its not about money, its about pivoting business models, retraining staff and implementing new policies and procedures. The business world, from Disney and Universal, to the mom and pop stores to the sole traders across all business sectors in all countries around the world are doing the same.

Its been so crazy over the last few days but this really summed up everything
@JacknSally, post: 61943729
Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 9.19.25 PM.png

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Eisner strolls back in with a cakesle on a platter... serves a piece to Chapek and ushers him out the door. :laughing:

Last edited:
Chef Mickey ADR disappeared overnight and the 7 year old has a 9/2021 expiration date now on the 9 day PH (but the 8 year old and I still have 12/2020). And the water parks lived to fight another day in the posted park hours.

Agree. At least they made an effort to provide a discount. I think it’s fair, given the circumstances.
They should have done something for those who lost discounts multiple times that didn't qualify for the free dining promotion- namely AP holders. That group has been entirely ignored as far as guest recovery goes. Refusing to honor previous discounts and then not offering something in exchange is not fair- at all. But what the heck, I'm just one the haters now. :crazy:

Got my email regarding our 12/10-12/12 at POR (quick pre Very Merrytime Cruise stay to hopefully see MVMCP and check out SWGA at HS). Our tickets now state they’re good to use on a day between 12/11/20 (what we stated when buying them) and 9/21- so I’m assuming I’ll get a chance to reconfirm the 12/11 HS date when we’re allowed to do so. Thing is, I’m wondering if MVMCP 🎄 tickets will go on sale at that same time, and how limited each party’s numbers will be. Just trying to avoid feeling the need to purchase MVMCP tickets before we know how limited they will be, and before the other parts of the trip fall in place. The Verry Merrytime Cruise 🚢 is of course a whole other subject! Cruises resuming before 2021? Geez- like everyone is saying, so much up in the air! Best to all -

I’m sure this has been addressed so I’m sorry to ask this. I have a resort reservation in Oct but hadn’t purchased tickets yet because of the uncertainty of going. Anyone know if I’ll have some priority to be able to reserve park visits and get tickets then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter