Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m interested in the next 2-3 weeks and if we see spikes from this weekend. What happens after a weekend where some people relaxed their social distancing, a weekend where just before it started grocery stores were very busy, could give us hints of what we may see when things start opening back up.

Disney Springs can potentially be a good test for Disney, and I agree with your timeframe between Springs and everything else opening, but I think this past weekend may be a small test to gauge when things like malls (Disney Springs) can attempt to open. As an aside, I would be very surprised to see places like Disney open up before schools do. I’m looking to that before the Asian parks, although I think the Asian parks are good to watch to see the method used when opening.

I think what's tough is Disney Springs will be a lot of locals-only traffic. Actually, if resorts are closed, it will definitely be locals-only traffic. And, that really isn't much of a test. Because, I doubt there will be a lot of people will be flying into Orlando for a Disney Springs only vacation. The true test will be when the resorts/parks open, but at that point, it will actually be mostly tourist and very few locals (assuming that parks will be resort-only guests for a significant while) So, opening Disney Springs won't really prepare the parks opening at all. There won't be a direct correlation. Maybe as far as looking at spacing and the protocol at restaurants, it may help. But, it's not really going to be informative on how to translate that to park traffic.

Tests that take 1 hr, 100% accurate, and cost $9 have been approved and production is scaling up. Employers, of course, are eager to get their hands on these. The tests will continue to be optimized for time and cost.

It will take a few months, but there will be a day where testing and certification (there will be an app for that) will be commonplace until a vaccine is available.

For full risk control, Disney Parks could require a test before you can enter the property. The logistics can be worked out.

I agree with this, but I think the trouble is...the where of it. To me, the obvious answer would be at the airport prior to boarding DME. BUT...what if people were exposed on the airplane, but still too early to test positive? Then, they will be exposing an entire bus full of people. Who would then be exposing an entire lobby full of people at a resort. And so on and so forth.

If airlines require tests before boarding, that would take away the need to do it at the DME counter. BUT, what if someone is exposed at their departing airport? And, the test was too early to catch it before they board the plane. Then, they have exposed those people on the plane....who could then expose other people on the plane, or the people in line at DME, or the people on the DME bus....or someone in the bathroom who would then go on to the DME counter. And so on and so forth.

Not only that, but even if they get on and off the plane scot free, between the gate and the DME counter, there are so many people and/or surfaces they could interact with. The escalator railing, elevator buttons, restroom surfaces, etc etc. And if you are exposed 5 minutes before you report to be tested, then it could be a few days into it, conceivably your whole vacation even, before you would even test positive.

So...ultimately, what's the point. Yes, you would likely catch a lot of people before they get on the DME buses, but if even 1 or 2 people are missed, or have a false negative...then the chain reaction from that could be hugely damaging.

I think AK will be one of the early reopening parks. The animals can't be just shut down like rides. They need the same care if open or closed. I could see fastpass only for rides and shows. Spread out seating for the shows

This was the plan I suggested a week ago - AK will be the 1st or 2nd park open...probably the 1st...it's the easiest to spread and yet still give folks something to do (walking trails and taking open air safaris)...

We probably did but there is also probably a lot of people who have had the virus but never go tested as there symptoms never got that bad. Til there is a vaccine or a way to cure people who do get sick I think there will be some sort of social distancing. Disney will open sooner than later but you will probably see lower capacity and a virtual que for most attractions.

Yes , totally agree. He probably infected many who received a asymptonmatic or mild case or even a severe case, no doubt at all, but no deaths have been traced even on a possibility basis even on a second or third infection basis from an asymptomatic carrier. It is not hard to trace it back, tracing is being done with deaths, no doubt about that.

Again could be totally wrong and we will see how it plays out and leave it like that.

I think what's tough is Disney Springs will be a lot of locals-only traffic. Actually, if resorts are closed, it will definitely be locals-only traffic. And, that really isn't much of a test. Because, I doubt there will be a lot of people will be flying into Orlando for a Disney Springs only vacation. The true test will be when the resorts/parks open, but at that point, it will actually be mostly tourist and very few locals (assuming that parks will be resort-only guests for a significant while) So, opening Disney Springs won't really prepare the parks opening at all. There won't be a direct correlation. Maybe as far as looking at spacing and the protocol at restaurants, it may help. But, it's not really going to be informative on how to translate that to park traffic.

I agree with this, but I think the trouble is...the where of it. To me, the obvious answer would be at the airport prior to boarding DME. BUT...what if people were exposed on the airplane, but still too early to test positive? Then, they will be exposing an entire bus full of people. Who would then be exposing an entire lobby full of people at a resort. And so on and so forth.

If airlines require tests before boarding, that would take away the need to do it at the DME counter. BUT, what if someone is exposed at their departing airport? And, the test was too early to catch it before they board the plane. Then, they have exposed those people on the plane....who could then expose other people on the plane, or the people in line at DME, or the people on the DME bus....or someone in the bathroom who would then go on to the DME counter. And so on and so forth.

Not only that, but even if they get on and off the plane scot free, between the gate and the DME counter, there are so many people and/or surfaces they could interact with. The escalator railing, elevator buttons, restroom surfaces, etc etc. And if you are exposed 5 minutes before you report to be tested, then it could be a few days into it, conceivably your whole vacation even, before you would even test positive.

So...ultimately, what's the point. Yes, you would likely catch a lot of people before they get on the DME buses, but if even 1 or 2 people are missed, or have a false negative...then the chain reaction from that could be hugely damaging.

DS can be a good test not in that it shows what park crowds will look like and behave like on a smaller scale, but that they’ll be able to see that if opening Disney Springs led to too many cases, too many crowd control issues, and those kind of things they will almost certainly see those problems magnified with the theme parks opening and they can tweak their plans as needed.

Further proof that that Nytimes writer was just putting in clickbait material and that article was half bogus.
NYT got a quote direct from Iger so if Disney wanted to dispute anything in the story they definitely had the opportunity. In any case, I wouldn't take Iger's statement about the workforce at face value. He said the right thing but I refuse to believe that cutting personnel wouldn't be in the discussion internally. Him saying he doesn't recall talking about it is a weird denial.

Disney is not going to get into testing to open the parks, primarily for all the reason new procedures that poster have outlined, would be too difficult and hard to implement. Average guest has a hard time with virtual queues and ROTR boarding times, can you imagine what a nightmare testing and new health procedures would be. They won't even need to when they open. Temp checks will be the most they do (i don't think they will) and that probably won't last long, maybe 3-4 months max. Once we know whee the high risk areas/people are and how to contatin and treat it and we will in < 6 months I bet, it will be moot.

Last edited:

I understand this sentiment, but it does bypass the major problems with this virus. It has a long incubation period where it is still transmittable, up to 1/4 of infected will not show symptoms, and it affects people in vastly different ways. I could get this and be ok, maybe feel mildly sick for a bit. So sure, I can choose to put myself in crowds of varying sizes that I feel comfortable with. But I live with a highly immune compromised boyfriend and it could be lethal to him if I pass it on (perhaps without even knowing Im infected). And my case is an obvious example. You have no idea how many immune compromised folks you would be around during the day. Maybe they MUST go to the grocery store b/c they live alone, or they must work their job at the salon in order to make rent. Some place are also not a matter of numbers of people in one place, but time spent touching things or people. Gyms are seen as one of the hotbeds of virus transmission because of all the sweat and handled equipment.

So what is our responsibility to our family and neighbors? I can voluntarily take precautions that are right for me, but they could be deadly for people around around me. This is why things aren't just opening up, and why Disney is going to take a bit to do so. Imagine the PR nightmare they would have if they open the parks all of a sudden and 100s of deaths are traced back to a few park goers?
The op pointed out that we're already going to grocery stores. Immune compromised have to get food too. A lot of people touch things in a grocery store.
If this virus has the long incubation period that has been discussed, it would be extremely difficult to trace a single infection accurately.
I think as for Disney reopening, when it does there will still be many people who are uncomfortable going. Like everything we do in life, we just have to do a risk assessment for ourselves and those close to us.

NYT got a quote direct from Iger so if Disney wanted to dispute anything in the story they definitely had the opportunity. In any case, I wouldn't take Iger's statement about the workforce at face value. He said the right thing but I refuse to believe that cutting personnel wouldn't be in the discussion internally. Him saying he doesn't recall talking about it is a weird denial.

Iger release him saying he doesn't remember it, within hours after the article is posted is his denial. That said there is no doubt the are looking at reducing staff internally. But the notion that thinkg are "dire" "clothes being torn" is hyperbolic and clickbait.

DIS member aren't your typical Disney vacationer. Years ago I read the typical Disney family will have one or two vacations in their lifetime. I suspect the number today is higher. I suspect some (many?) members of DIS visit Disney more times in a year (or two) then the typical family will take in their lifetime.

I think posters are greatly over-estimating the number of guests who will rush to Disney. Current resort bookings are irrelevant. Cancellation penalties are lenient. Some of the guests booked more as a placeholder.

Some (many) potential guests will have financial issues.

Some won't be able to get time off from work. Months of elective surgery will be rescheduled. Those healthcare workers won't be getting vacations. Many people won't get time off once they get back to works. Just one example.

Assume, after WDW opens, people considered at high risk are advised to avoid crowded areas like Disney. I understand some people will listen and others won't. How many families visiting include a grandparent over age 60? 10% of the population has diabetes. My observation suggests a fair number of guests would come under the obesity risk factor. I don't know what % of the guests have moderate asthma.

Now add people who aren't high risk but won't travel out of fear.

DVC members, at risk of losing their points, will probably fill DVC resorts. That suggests all of the Disney Deluxe resorts, maybe excluding YC, will open first. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more value and moderate resorts are closed for months.

For the most part resort guests are looking to visit theme parks. I think the resorts might open days, not weeks, before at least one theme park.
I think this is exactly right. IMHO/YMMV etc.

The folks who frequent these boards are mostly hard-core fans. I don’t think John & Debbie Smith and their three children from Poughkeepsie will be rushing to book (or rebook if they had a trip cancelled) anything like as quickly as some people seem to think. The economic hit to family finances and the ongoing risk from the virus will put off a *lot* of people until jobs are reclaimed and there’s a vaccine so you pretty much know you’ll be safe. And if (as someone here has suggested), park tickets carry some sort of ‘we’ll bar you if you have a temperature, with no refund’ that will just deter another tranche of people - who’s going to book an expensive Disney vacation (probably anything up to a year out) if they might get to the entry readers and then get turned away?

Lets hope the lab in Cambridge here in the UK that have hopes of a vaccine by the autumn are correct about that (you can google it if you want to know more).

I‘m a Disney fan - that’s why I follow these boards - but I also try to be realistic, much as it hurts sometimes... 🥺

This is my first post. I am a long time lurker and finally registered a few weeks back. I admit I have not read all 194 pages so maybe someone already brought this up; forgive me if they did.

A lot of people are mentioning that they will not feel comfortable until a vaccine is released. What if there never is a vaccine? And, what if herd immunity never develops or we find people can get it again after a year or so? A lot of people are putting all their hopes in a vaccine. If none ever comes, we have to decide to live with a certain risk.

I really don't think people will be willing to live with extreme social distancing and/or lockins for months on end. At some point, people will weight the risk of getting the virus vs. living their lives and being able to work and be done with the restrictions. It will be hard to continue asking this of people through months and months. Maybe loosening restrictions for a month or so and moving toward sports and theme parks opening after another month or so passes will be a compromise?

I have mixed feelings about it to be honest. I see people suffering job wise and their lives being upended but I weigh that against people dying. There is no easy answer, obviously.

My guess, which is as good as anyone else's (in other words, it means nothing), for WDW opening is sometimes in June or July.

This is my first post. I am a long time lurker and finally registered a few weeks back. I admit I have not read all 194 pages so maybe someone already brought this up; forgive me if they did.

A lot of people are mentioning that they will not feel comfortable until a vaccine is released. What if there never is a vaccine? And, what if herd immunity never develops or we find people can get it again after a year or so? A lot of people are putting all their hopes in a vaccine. If none ever comes, we have to decide to live with a certain risk.

I really don't think people will be willing to live with extreme social distancing and/or lockins for months on end. At some point, people will weight the risk of getting the virus vs. living their lives and being able to work and be done with the restrictions. It will be hard to continue asking this of people through months and months. Maybe loosening restrictions for a month or so and moving toward sports and theme parks opening after another month or so passes will be a compromise?

I have mixed feelings about it to be honest. I see people suffering job wise and their lives being upended but I weigh that against people dying. There is no easy answer, obviously.

My guess, which is as good as anyone else's (in other words, it means nothing), for WDW opening is sometimes in June or July.

Well if theres never a vaccine, and people can get it again, we'll get desensitized to it and go on with our lives. It'll become like cancer, heart disease, the flu and everything else that can kill us. People will just live with it.

Or it will kill us all and it won't matter any more.

I've read or skimmed almost every post. Lots of opinions, and I will add my $.02, broken into two posts, so $.04 if you will.

I personally don't think Disney is at a high risk of bankruptcy. I think it is likely that revenue will start picking up as summer hits.

Operationally speaking, I think it's likely we will see Disney Springs open first as it is the easiest to open. Some, but possibly not all resorts will open second. However I just don't see enough people flocking to the resorts to make it financially viable for long without the parks being open. Because of this, the parks will open shortly after the resorts. Although there is potential for phased park openings, I don't see any park opening more than a week or two after the first park opens.

Now even once everything is open, whether capacity is limited by Disney or just by people not traveling due to economic or health concerns, it will likely be a while before they return to profitability. However, with the debt they have just taken on, if they can get some of the revenue they should be able to operate for quite a while even if those operations are at a loss.

As for construction, although they may do limited projects, I don't see a massive building boom while the parks are closed as they will try to preserve the cash they have.

Now things are changing so fast I could be wrong, but only time will tell how many of our opinions were right or wrong.

As someone with a potentially high risk kid who feels this way (needs to be a vaccine, good antiviral med, herd immunity or for the virus to magically mutate and disappear for us to feel comfortable going back to a place like WDW), we would just not go to a place like WDW.

IF none of that ever happens (hopefully unlikely) and coronavirus stays as is/dangerous for high risk individuals, we will simply not go to a place like WDW. We are DVC members. We love Disney beyond measure. We go every year. But it’s not a necessity. It’s a luxury. We would be devastated, but a place as vast and tightly crowded with travelers like WDW isn’t worth risking my kid’s life, plain and simple.

We would calculate the risk for the things that we do. Theme parks wouldn’t make the cut.

Last edited:
Well, summer gone. If Disney don´t think they can pack a movie theater, they will not open the parks.
Not similar at all. By moving the movie release, it maximises revenue generated by having larger audiences at a more appropriate time. Whereas for every week the theme parks are closed, they will lose money. The economics are very different. Moving movie releases is mainly an economic decision.

The one thing I don't like the most when they do reopen is its going to involve much more planning. I have a 6 month old and was hoping to take her sometime in the next year. Planning my vacation down to the minute I arrive, I have no interest in. I go on vacation do what I want when I want. A

Personally speaking, we have a trip planned mid/late July. I hope it happens, and if the parks are open we will likely go. If it is a "limited" experience we would evaluate exactly what that means. We would have to weigh what is open vs. what discounts are being offered.

As with many people on this board, we have been there several times, so a limited experience would be OK to a degree. Now if you told me SWGE, Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railroad, and the Skyliner were all going to be shut down, that would be a big deal since that is all new to us.

As many have said, a lot of this is about calculated risk. We are fortunate that we are not high risk. And we can take steps to ensure we are not spreading it upon our return. Additionally my DW and I have not had nor are we likely to have negative impacts to our jobs due to this. If anything, we have saved money by working from home and having reduced childcare expenses.

We all have to measure our risks, and from my end if enough people feel it is safe to open WDW before our trip and we can take a chance to get away from all of the craziness and being couped up for so long we will. If by doing that we help keep the economy moving along, then that is a small bonus.

With all that said, I feel terrible for all those who are not as fortunate as us, and will continue to pray that things improve quickly in all regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter