Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The when... late summer/fall. Magic takes time even with pixie dust flying 🧚🏻 😉

So much this. Water has all been drained, hydraulics drained... some rides will need formal safety inspections, not to mention all rides will need general maintenance and testing again before they can open back up. There'll be a tonne of cleaning to do. Restocking to do. Staff to rehire and train - and not just train on the basic stuff they used to do, but all the new policies. Disney's good, but they're not God, lol.

So much this. Water has all been drained, hydraulics drained... some rides will need formal safety inspections, not to mention all rides will need general maintenance and testing again before they can open back up. There'll be a tonne of cleaning to do. Restocking to do. Staff to rehire and train - and not just train on the basic stuff they used to do, but all the new policies. Disney's good, but they're not God, lol.
Other than the safety inspections, I think they can work faster than we're giving them. Think about the Halloween to Christmas switch over at MK.

SeaWorld would be the one to worry about the most.

Universal is backed by Comcast which is still getting plenty of money.

Disney will struggle more but I don't see them filing anytime soon either.

A vaccine will not be a year away. That's the most optimistic estimate assuming all goes right and it's placed on a massive fast track. A more realistic timeline is 3 years or more.

In other words, Disney, Universal, and Sea World all better prepare for bankruptcy.
I don't think that says that at all. Here in Canada they have been saying that all along. You won't be required to stay in your house but social distancing will be around for awhile to come. Parks can still operate but they will have think outside the box to do it. Maybe now is the time to put virtual que into action.

I don't think that says that at all. Here in Canada they have been saying that all along. You won't be required to stay in your house but social distancing will be around for awhile to come. Parks can still operate but they will have think outside the box to do it. Maybe now is the time to put virtual que into action.

If you have a mandate to avoid crowds of 10+ people, how does any theme park operate?

A vaccine will not be a year away. That's the most optimistic estimate assuming all goes right and it's placed on a massive fast track. A more realistic timeline is 3 years or more.

If it all. More likely they'll be widespread drugs to help you survive/lesson symptoms once you get it

I'd probably put money on the virus burning out before a vaccine

That is only one chain of many, and AMC has had issues long before this.
Yeah, but pretty much all movie chains were having problems before this. It had nothing to do with the pandemic or the economy, it was just that Americans viewing habits have changed. Large screen HD tv’s are cheap and plentiful and streaming is easy. This is likely going to push a lot of cinemas over the edge, but they were probably heading there anyway.

Businesses need to cover their operating costs and turn a profit for it to make sense.
As a general business rule this is the case, but at this point Disney, and potentially other businesses may need to run at an operating loss. As long as they are covering their variable operating costs and eating away at fixed costs it is better than just burning fixed costs.

A vaccine is one thing. I didn't mention that at all in my post either. The US and World economy for the matter will crumble if nothing opens until there is a vaccine. I am certainly not saying we should open everything today. We certainly need to wait yet and open things meticulously. Many places are in that peak time frame right now. No not all are either of course. Vaccines will not solve everything either. The biggest thing is to get this under control to reopen businesses. I don't think anyone even the worst projections are saying we should be in this state for three years. I surely won't be able to afford to survive if that is the case I think many are in that same boat.

I want to ask this question to you and others who think the opening will be later. Why?

If we're at least a year from any vaccine, and if the death rates in the country are dropping, why do you think Disney would/should wait? The disease apparently cycles through the body in 14 days or so, so if we've all been social distancing for a month or two, why do you think it makes a difference for WDW to wait until the fall instead of the summer? If you think the disease isn't spreading because of social distancing, then why would returning anytime before a cure be better than any other?

Not trying to be snarky, it's just a line of reasoning I don't understand. I know people are adamant about delaying opening things up. I just don't understand why. What is the theory you're putting your faith in?

Because we haven't all been social distancing for a month or two. Millions upon millions of people are still out there every single day passing it on. Case numbers aren't dropping - they're still rising by the tens of thousands every single day. The curve is flattening, but the US as a whole has still not hit it's peak. And even hitting the peak isn't enough, they have to wait until daily cases have dropped significantly. The US is still a long ways out from that.

Also, the disease doesn't cycle through in 14 days. People are contagious for up to 14 days before symptoms start, and then are contagious for roughly 10 days after symptoms start. So it's actually more like 3-4 weeks.

In other words, Disney, Universal, and Sea World all better prepare for bankruptcy.

Social distancing doesn't mean shut down. Disney CAN enact several viable social distancing measures and be able to open. It just won't be "normal", no. But again, experts and governments from around the world have been stressing that normal as we knew it is GONE. That's all there is to it. Gone, for probably at least 2 years.

Because we haven't all been social distancing for a month or two. Millions upon millions of people are still out there every single day passing it on. Case numbers aren't dropping - they're still rising by the tens of thousands every single day. The curve is flattening, but the US as a whole has still not hit it's peak. And even hitting the peak isn't enough, they have to wait until daily cases have dropped significantly. The US is still a long ways out from that.

Also, the disease doesn't cycle through in 14 days. People are contagious for up to 14 days before symptoms start, and then are contagious for roughly 10 days after symptoms start. So it's actually more like 3-4 weeks.

Social distancing doesn't mean shut down. Disney CAN enact several viable social distancing measures and be able to open. It just won't be "normal", no. But again, experts and governments from around the world have been stressing that normal as we knew it is GONE. That's all there is to it. Gone, for probably at least 2 years.

Yes we have. It was over the weekend.

I want to ask this question to you and others who think the opening will be later. Why?

If we're at least a year from any vaccine, and if the death rates in the country are dropping, why do you think Disney would/should wait? I'm not being sarcastic -- do you not think the models that show the death rate at almost zero by mid June are accurate? The disease apparently cycles through the body in 14 days or so, so if we've all been social distancing for a month or two, why do you think it makes a difference for WDW to wait until the fall instead of the summer? If you think the disease isn't spreading because of social distancing, then why would returning anytime before a cure be better than any other?

Not trying to be snarky, it's just a line of reasoning I don't understand. I know people are adamant about delaying opening things up. I just don't understand why. What is the theory you're putting your faith in?

The deaths go down *because of* the social distancing measures. But the virus cannot be entirely eradicated. So once the social distancing measures ease, the deaths go back up. From my limited understanding, a cure is not likely, but a better understanding of effective treatment could be the next best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter