• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the latest rumor over at WDW Magic is that one of the options being explored is opening only DHS and World Showcase in Food & Wine mode while only operating the Epcot/Skyliner resorts. Says MK is most likely the last park to open. All because of how you get people to and from the parks.
I’m not sure they could do that without DVC issues. I mean, the system is already clogged with unused points from the closure and keeping most DVC timeshares closed while opening only select resorts could be a huge issue. I wonder if they will, perhaps, open DVC resorts as well as Epcot/Skyliner resorts.

So many people like to pretend that now that we are slowing down the rate of increase, that it's "over" and are letting their guards down in their desire to return to normal. But the reality is there are still sooo many unknowns, and new things popping up with this virus. For example, the numbers of children getting this new inflammatory disorder is continuing to grow. And most of the children getting it, were asymptomatic for Covid.

If Disney is indeed planning a later opening, wanting to wait and see what happens first as things re-open - good on them. But for heaven's sakes, tell people that lol. "Because we want to ensure our guests and employees are returning to a safe environment, we do not anticipate re-opening our theme parks until late summer/early fall (insert date of choice). This will allow our team time to adequately assess the risk and prepare accordingly. Because this date is subject to change (earlier or later), for the time being existing reservations will be cancelled automatically on a week by week basis, approximately 3 weeks prior to your scheduled arrival date." Yadda, yadda.
Oh how I wish that was a real Disney quote. I hope they open sooner but most of all the anticipation is killing me

I’m not sure they could do that without DVC issues. I mean, the system is already clogged with unused points from the closure and keeping most DVC timeshares closed while opening only select resorts could be a huge issue. I wonder if they will, perhaps, open DVC resorts as well as Epcot/Skyliner resorts.
They’re going to have a hard time justifying keeping the DVC resorts closed too much longer. They’re probably going to have to open those resorts before the parks.

I’m not sure that there will be a need for any kind spin. Disney has made it very clear that WDW & DL are closed until further notice. Repeatedly in the media; on social media and in the form of a pop up on all of their websites when you log on, and even MDE has temporary closure at the very top of the page along with the pop up about understanding the possibility of a covid exposure at WDW. Closed. And without any promise of a specific reopening date. They couldn’t be more clear. Even yesterday’s Guest Relations update saying If you are planning during this uncertain period once we reopen.. you may not get the disney experience you’ve come to know & adjustments may need to be made in “real time” to any existing plans you may have made... In other words.. we are telling you that things are not the norm so please don’t expect more then we are telling you. It’s not that there has been a lack of info.. for some It’s been a case of not accepting what is being said.

Other then to those of us who are disney obsessed it will likely not mean that much to the General public who vacation at Disney, they are more likely to take things in stride and if their current disney trip doesn’t work out - they’ll just rebook or postpone. They won’t require any kind of spin.
Or...IF....they can get all their money back they will go to one of the parks that have opened. But most will not be able to recoup 100% of their funds and will be left holding the bag.

So the latest rumor over at WDW Magic is that one of the options being explored is opening only DHS and World Showcase in Food & Wine mode while only operating the Epcot/Skyliner resorts. Says MK is most likely the last park to open. All because of how you get people to and from the parks.
Ugh! I was ok when MK was the only park, but w/ DS (2), not sure we would do that.

I agree. MK is the biggest nightmare of a park to open with the current restrictions on social distancing, and like I said days ago: alcohol is a alcohol-serving establishment's biggest profit margin. If they are trying to recoup money fast, selling alcohol is the way to do it, and that's what Epcot is for.

So many people like to pretend that now that we are slowing down the rate of increase, that it's "over" and are letting their guards down in their desire to return to normal. But the reality is there are still sooo many unknowns, and new things popping up with this virus. For example, the numbers of children getting this new inflammatory disorder is continuing to grow. And most of the children getting it, were asymptomatic for Covid.

If Disney is indeed planning a later opening, wanting to wait and see what happens first as things re-open - good on them. But for heaven's sakes, tell people that lol. "Because we want to ensure our guests and employees are returning to a safe environment, we do not anticipate re-opening our theme parks until late summer/early fall (insert date of choice). This will allow our team time to adequately assess the risk and prepare accordingly. Because this date is subject to change (earlier or later), for the time being existing reservations will be cancelled automatically on a week by week basis, approximately 3 weeks prior to your scheduled arrival date." Yadda, yadda.
I don't think anyone is pretending...rather realizing life can't go on like this for 1, 2, 5 , 10 years until if and when a vaccine is created...if you decide you want that said vaccine....so instead they choose to learn to live with this realizing that life and the economy must go on.

Most frustration now comes from the narrative of flatten the curve, flatten the curve, flatten the curve and now all of a sudden its cure... so people have become fed up

And I speak from experience as I have not missed one day of work and I walk into a place that has 500 plus people a day in close quarters... and I have realized over the last 2 months that if you conduct yourself safely and there are measures in place life can go on...and go on productively and safely.

That would be preferred by the older crowd...IMO

The ferry can schlep 600 guests across from TTC to MK. Assuming they cut capacity to 33%-50% they can move 200-300 guests per ferry. They have 3 ferries. They can run the monorail, with one party per car. Yes, they would have to reduce/limit the number of guests quite a bit to make this work.

Is that bridge from GF built yet?

The ferry can schlep 600 guests across from TTC to MK. Assuming they cut capacity to 33%-50% they can move 200-300 guests per ferry. They have 3 ferries. They can run the monorail, with one party per car. Yes, they would have to reduce/limit the number of guests quite a bit to make this work.

Is that bridge from GF built yet?
Yep

I don't think anyone is pretending...rather realizing life can't go on like this for 1, 2, 5 , 10 years until if and when a vaccine is created...if you decide you want that said vaccine....so instead they choose to learn to live with this realizing that life and the economy must go on.

Most frustration now comes from the narrative of flatten the curve, flatten the curve, flatten the curve and now all of a sudden its cure... so people have become fed up

And I speak from experience as I have not missed one day of work and I walk into a place that has 500 plus people a day in close quarters... and I have realized over the last 2 months that if you conduct yourself safely and there are measures in place life can go on...and go on productively and safely.

And one of the big reasons you've been able to stay healthy is because much of the country was shut down, which significantly reduced your overall risk. Or, of course the other option is you had it and we're asymptomatic. Unfortunately, you'll never know unless you get an antibody test.

Meanwhile, your future safety depends on people following the rules - ie. staying 6' away, wearing their masks, continuing to practice proper hygiene, continuing to reduce unnecessary exposure etc... and THAT is where people are getting slack. They think opening things back up, means back to the old normal. It doesn't.

I agree that life will and have to go on but you said years. People got so impatient after only 2 MONTHS. To open up places of business is one thing but these parks are going to bringing in tens of thousands of people daily after we were shutdown for so long. It’s ok that they are taking their time in this. It’s not something that should be rushed. It’s not even a necessity either. You see how idiots act at beaches. There is absolutely no rush a theme park. Need to take the time and be sure opening up to this many people is safe and have to make sure you have the tools to enforce the rules because you know once inside people will be trying to break them. There is a lot they have to do.

They’re going to have a hard time justifying keeping the DVC resorts closed too much longer. They’re probably going to have to open those resorts before the parks.

Honestly, I wish they would just open the DVC resorts even if only one or two parks are open.
If I don’t use the points I have tied up for this trip which includes a bunch of 2019 banked points, I don’t know that I will be able to use them.

If the resort pools are open as well as restaurants with limited capacity, I’d be happy to just get away after being cooped up the last couple months. Heck, if we want to go to a park, we can go Universal for a day or two while staying at our DVC resort.

How are they bringing in money if they dont start until the end of July, and most of the games in the first few weeks would be on regional sports networks to fulfill those contracts. So unless the NBA is erasing the amount of revenue Disney has lost over the last 3 months with their initial contract, it would only temporarily stop the bleeding. They wouldnt make marketing and promotional money until the games start up in 2 months.

You keep saying this, but arent providing any proof. The resorts not being full when theres been no announced opening date is far from proof that people arent ready to go to a theme park. I’m going to need to see actual data to back your claim if youre going to continue to speak about that in form of absolute.

Also, Sports will be the only thing on TV for awhile, but it wont just be the NBA. You’ll have the NHL playoffs and the start of the MLB season. Then when the NBA gets into the juicy part of the playoffs, Football will have likely started in both the pro, and college levels. Theres not a single NBA playoff matchup that would outdraw Tom Brady’s first game as a Buc.

I’m sure Turner Sports would laugh at that notion. Just because we’re in a pandemic doesnt mean broadcasting rights got shredded up.
go back a number of pages to the mask debate and see how many were saying if masks required of guests they were not going . I feel this more than NBA or anything else has Disney looking at later opening date

Yes and no. It also makes it more difficult in terms of airborne exchange. Disney certainly is watching the science aspect as well which also changes daily.
I guess I don't understand your reasoning. It's been suspected from very early on that the virus is transmitted through airborne droplets. It was also suspected that the virus could be transmitted via surfaces. To me simple logic would indicate that if one of those transmission methods is now thought to be much less probable it doesn't make it more difficult to operate parks. It would seem to make it somewhat less risky.

No but like I said that would make the mask more important and if people aren’t wearing them that’s a problem. Disney is looking at this from all sides.
You still aren't making sense. We know about airborne transmission. It isn't more of an issue, but the same. It's just that surface transmission is less of a risk. I think any reduced transmission avenue is a great thing for any retail business.

So everyone jumped on the NBA portion of what @rteetz posted but I haven’t seen anyone comment about them possibly only opening one park at a time... 🤷🏻‍♀️

I think since UO is opening all their parks at the same time, Disney will attempt to do the same, even if it takes them longer to open. Also, I doubt they open MK last even if it is the park that's the biggest nightmare to re-open. For many people MK IS Disney World, and to have it closed while the others are open would drive a lot of people away. Just, IMO.

You still aren't making sense. We know about airborne transmission. It isn't more of an issue, but the same. It's just that surface transmission is less of a risk. I think any reduced transmission avenue is a great thing for any retail business.
I don’t want to delve too far off topic myself but to me I think this makes it worse in terms of the airborne transmission is more prevalent than surface transmission. Airborne is harder to control because we need to breathe. Masks help to an extent. Disney is doing that at Disney Springs of course and likely will at the parks. If this was worse on surfaces, cleaning procedures would be more the focus. Either way it’s not a great situation as we all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter