Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Supposed to go to WDW right after Thanksgiving. Any Covid updates? Anyone returning and testing positive. Just don't know what to do. Was there in September and felt very safe. Things have changed a bit now. Would love to hear from those who have been there or who know someone who just returned.
There have been no public cases traced back that we know about.

FL has no COVID rules, OC tries. Outside of Disney all bets are off. MDE might be great or the ride from COVID hell. Your gamble.

The crowds are definitely bigger than in Sept, capacity on buses & rides have been increased some. Mask compliance is probably very similar to Sept. I went for a week and besides some noses peeking out here or there I only had one instance of blatantly ignoring M rules (Three Caballeros ride, no CM to see them as they whipped masks off once we left on the boat and put them back on when we came I knew this was a possibility and was ok with the risk (still wish they’d have been kicked out of the park and their tickets cancelled but we can’t get everything we want 😂). )

I little bit of a non-sequitur, but if someone is compromised to the point that Covid is likely to be life-threatening, then voluntarily going to a place full of potential disease carriers is probably not the smartest move in the first place.

Healthy people get seriously ill and sometimes die too. Around 10% of survivors have long-term health problems, such as chronic fatigue syndrome; most of these people never needed inpatient care. Some didn’t even show symptoms initially. So everyone in a public place needs to take the potential threat to their health and to the health of the people around them seriously and follow the transmission-reducing practices.

Hello. Supposed to go to WDW right after Thanksgiving. Any Covid updates? Anyone returning and testing positive. Just don't know what to do. Was there in September and felt very safe. Things have changed a bit now. Would love to hear from those who have been there or who know someone who just returned.

I’m a semi-local, an hour away. Been in Aug, Sept, and last week. Each trip was more crowded. Last week was unsafe. Very hard to distance on most walkways because too many people were allowed in. The capacity is too high. Also, plexiglass has been put up and distancing eliminated in some queues and on some attractions. Omnimovers are no longer distanced. I looked at wait times a few times this week and they were significantly lower than when we were there last week. I’m guessing that means there were less people, and perhaps there was room to easily distance. But it is certainly possible to be there on a busy day with crowded walkways now that the maximum capacity has been raised beyond a safe limit. The only positive is masks- compliance was much higher this time, after a certain point in queues (typically the normal entrance) you are no longer allowed to eat and drink, and the wording about masks on signs and in audio has gotten tougher.

Here now and have had a mostly good experience so far. It’s a little odd as the resort seems less busy but parks are more crowded than when we were here last in October.

Only issue I had was today on RotR. Was in line and the family behind us (2 parents and 3 teens) kept crowding in on us. I put up with it for a while as I do understand that you often get in those blind corner turns and not sure if the group ahead of you are on their next mark or not. However, this was constant and they were right on us. The daughter didn’t wear her mask the entire way through and was using it as a chinstrap. Well, we got to one of the last rock rooms where they have the markers offset so the two paths that run side by side don’t have different groups standing right beside each other. We were standing on our mark which was on the end at the curve when the Dad of the family actually bumped into my backpack. By this time I had enough so I turned and asked if they were planning on riding the ride with us. He said “no, we’re going to ride together.” I replied with “well, you think you could go back to your mark and give us some space?” Admittedly, I said it very stern and he immediately told me that we should be 6’ from the person ahead of us in line. I quickly let him know that we were standing on our mark and pointed down at it. He looked down and it must have dawned on him at that point that everything was offset so groups weren’t standing beside each other and backed their way to their mark (which they paused at for about 10 seconds or so before this whole thing transpired, so they knew it was there). He went on to say that he had already had Covid so we couldn’t get it from him and that “an epidemic makes people act like jerks”.

I left it at that and didn’t say anything else. They backed off. The rest of the wait I’m standing there thinking, “Dude, you tell me I should be 6’ away from the next group, but you knock into my backpack while it’s on my back?” You know your closer than you should be. You know your in the wrong. I don’t think the Mom looked up from her phone the entire time.

They ended up in the briefing room (with BB8 and Rey) with us. The girl didn’t have her mask on and another guest who was beside them pointed it out to the cast member and the cast member just made a general announcement about masks (which is less confrontational) but then turned away and never actually said anything to her directly when she ignored the warning. Her brother ended up calling her out and she put it on.

This is my 3rd trip since reopening and this was the biggest issue we’ve had. We rode several other rides after and absolutely no problems and generally good mask compliance. I did see several eating and drinking in line (which I thought was changed recently) and no cast members said anything. I don’t think anyone is going to say anything or even care when you pull down or lift up for a sip and mask up right after, but some were masks hanging on one ear.

I also saw a cast member that was watching the exit of a store walk out in the street and ask a kid (pre-teen) to put a mask on. I could see his mom was in the process of getting one out of their stroller. She handed it to him and he slipped a neck gator on. The cast member told him that neck gators weren’t permitted and waited for him to put on an approved mask. Kudos to that CM for seeing it through.

Here now and have had a mostly good experience so far. It’s a little odd as the resort seems less busy but parks are more crowded than when we were here last in October.

Only issue I had was today on RotR. Was in line and the family behind us (2 parents and 3 teens) kept crowding in on us. I put up with it for a while as I do understand that you often get in those blind corner turns and not sure if the group ahead of you are on their next mark or not. However, this was constant and they were right on us. The daughter didn’t wear her mask the entire way through and was using it as a chinstrap. Well, we got to one of the last rock rooms where they have the markers offset so the two paths that run side by side don’t have different groups standing right beside each other. We were standing on our mark which was on the end at the curve when the Dad of the family actually bumped into my backpack. By this time I had enough so I turned and asked if they were planning on riding the ride with us. He said “no, we’re going to ride together.” I replied with “well, you think you could go back to your mark and give us some space?” Admittedly, I said it very stern and he immediately told me that we should be 6’ from the person ahead of us in line. I quickly let him know that we were standing on our mark and pointed down at it. He looked down and it must have dawned on him at that point that everything was offset so groups weren’t standing beside each other and backed their way to their mark (which they paused at for about 10 seconds or so before this whole thing transpired, so they knew it was there). He went on to say that he had already had Covid so we couldn’t get it from him and that “an epidemic makes people act like jerks”.

I left it at that and didn’t say anything else. They backed off. The rest of the wait I’m standing there thinking, “Dude, you tell me I should be 6’ away from the next group, but you knock into my backpack while it’s on my back?” You know your closer than you should be. You know your in the wrong. I don’t think the Mom looked up from her phone the entire time.

They ended up in the briefing room (with BB8 and Rey) with us. The girl didn’t have her mask on and another guest who was beside them pointed it out to the cast member and the cast member just made a general announcement about masks (which is less confrontational) but then turned away and never actually said anything to her directly when she ignored the warning. Her brother ended up calling her out and she put it on.

This is my 3rd trip since reopening and this was the biggest issue we’ve had. We rode several other rides after and absolutely no problems and generally good mask compliance. I did see several eating and drinking in line (which I thought was changed recently) and no cast members said anything. I don’t think anyone is going to say anything or even care when you pull down or lift up for a sip and mask up right after, but some were masks hanging on one ear.

I also saw a cast member that was watching the exit of a store walk out in the street and ask a kid (pre-teen) to put a mask on. I could see his mom was in the process of getting one out of their stroller. She handed it to him and he slipped a neck gator on. The cast member told him that neck gators weren’t permitted and waited for him to put on an approved mask. Kudos to that CM for seeing it through.
You reminded me I saw multiple instances of CMs telling folks to put masks on/up (mostly up, the on was me walking out my hotel maskless at like 8am in complete espresso-less oblivion 🤦🏻‍♀️). I honestly thought they did a great job. However I didn’t deal with anything like you did, basically everyone I met was trying to stay in their designated space.

If you don’t think the CM handled your situation appropriately don’t hesitate to drop WDW Guest Services an email.

(Btw GOOD for you keeping your cool!! I would have definitely struggled to stay silent with some jerk making snide comments but it’s waaaay the right move!)

Why in the world would they keep them forever when it’s such a pain to enforce during an actual pandemic?

This, 1000%. There is absolutely no way masks would be enforced when the virus is neutralized. Will Disney continue the mask policy after a vaccine is widely distributed? Extremely likely. Maybe like 2-3 months after masks are deemed no longer necessary, but just as an extra level of precaution. It might not even be that long after they’re no longer necessary because of how much harder it’ll be to enforce and they don’t want to put their CMs through that if it’s not absolutely necessary.

If looking at having to wear masks in a world where covid is “contained” with low level positivity rates and almost non-existent death totals then there’s a societal problem far beyond Disney. But that’s a hypothetical bridge I don’t envision us needing to cross

But I wouldn’t plan a trip in 2021 with the thought of not wearing a mask in mind. Even if it’s this time next year, I wouldn’t bank on being able to go without one. It’s possible, but I just wouldn’t book a trip if it’s a make or break issue and expect the mask policy to be gone. We’re probably looking at 2022 for that scenario to come into picture

This, 1000%. There is absolutely no way masks would be enforced when the virus is neutralized. Will Disney continue the mask policy after a vaccine is widely distributed? Extremely likely. Maybe like 2-3 months after masks are deemed no longer necessary, but just as an extra level of precaution. It might not even be that long after they’re no longer necessary because of how much harder it’ll be to enforce and they don’t want to put their CMs through that if it’s not absolutely necessary.

If looking at having to wear masks in a world where covid is “contained” with low level positivity rates and almost non-existent death totals then there’s a societal problem far beyond Disney. But that’s a hypothetical bridge I don’t envision us needing to cross

But I wouldn’t plan a trip in 2021 with the thought of not wearing a mask in mind. Even if it’s this time next year, I wouldn’t bank on being able to go without one. It’s possible, but I just wouldn’t book a trip if it’s a make or break issue and expect the mask policy to be gone. We’re probably looking at 2022 for that scenario to come into picture
I hear people all the time talk about how much safer they feel with masks and how they should be enforced forever. I can imagine a huge backlash if Disney were to drop the mandate. I could see them dropping mask requirements outside but I could imagine a scenario where masks could be enforced in queue lines and inside buildings for years. It’s also going to be very difficult to identify that point where the virus is deemed gone. It’s a huge gray area and the virus could start increasing again if precautions are dropped. Even a vaccine which is 95 percent effective does not provide perfect protection and there is a real fear that you could be that 5%.

It is also really annoying that people take their masks off for ride photos, which ruins it for anyone sharing that ride vehicle. People are just so selfish.

I will shame all day. We are in a pandemic. People need to stop thinking they are above safety rules.
Personally that part doesn’t bother me. We wore our masks all the time in September but I deleted all the ride pictures with masks in other words all the ride pictures. I have no interest in those.

My Issue is it feels so unlikely they will ever go back to no masks and they will be required going forward forever. Just feels so hopefless.
I can say without a doubt that there will be a day when face coverings are no longer required at WDW, and the encouraging vaccine news certainly gives me hope. It’ll be some time before the requirement is dropped but it will be. Disney itself is telling Guests on its website that if you’re unable to wear a face covering, “reschedule your visit to a later time.” That implies that there will be a time when they are not required.

I'm about to drive up to panhandle for a few days for thanksgiving (just going to be my parents and I), they asked if I wanted to go out to eat anywhere. I told them no, because I feel safer at Disney than I do where they live (all the restaurants up there at 100% capacity). The population is much smaller, but they have higher positivity rates than Orange county does.

I know it won't happen, but I wouldn't hate if the distancing in the queue lines stayed. It's nice not having a kid or someone not paying attention run into the back of your legs lol

I would be thrilled to never, ever hear "fill in all the available space" ever again. It's so uncomfortable--and smelly--being smushed up against strangers. I actually see some of the distancing staying. Probably not 6 feet but maybe 3.

I would be thrilled to never, ever hear "fill in all the available space" ever again. It's so uncomfortable--and smelly--being smushed up against strangers. I actually see some of the distancing staying. Probably not 6 feet but maybe 3.
Right?!? My claustrophobic (and perhaps sometimes slightly misanthropic?) self looooves this. As soon as those fireworks return, I will be there smiling hugely (behind my mask, of course)!

My Issue is it feels so unlikely they will ever go back to no masks and they will be required going forward forever. Just feels so hopefless.

Like everyone else said, they won't be around forever. You may see more people choose to keep wearing them, but that's different.

I fully expect Disney to keep the requirement longer than most, but on the flipside of that - if more and more places drop the requirement quicker than we think (we really have no idea what's going to happen with vaccine timeline, just a lot of guessing at this point) and Disney becomes the only holdout (especially in theme-park vacation destinations), I can see that being an issue with people going on vacation. A lot of "I don't have to wear it anywhere but here", or "I'm vaccinated"...Yes, it's their house, their rules, but just saying I can see issues in the future.

I actually think cities, once vaccinations really ramp up, will be quicker to drop mask mandate than most of us are predicting.

I do wish social distancing could stay as I agree it's nice not to have people on top of me.

Anyways, things are looking up!!! :D

I'll be somewhat interested to see when Orange County drops it. I'm not sure if the article was posted here, but I read AdventHealth here in Orlando will be the first hospital to get vaccines in FL

We were @ WDW last week. We got to see the fireworks from our room on Monday night. The next day, we were @ MK and we were watching the castle projections, and people were relatively space out. Why couldn't they bring back the fireworks as long as park capacity remains the same?

I'll be interested to see the approach of Disney management for CM and masks. The general public will most likely have the option to wear them or not but i believe once Disney drops the mandate the CM will not have that option. I know my DD feels reassured when she's wearing her mask at work, not sure how she'll feel if/ when Disney tells all CM they can't wear them anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter