Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. We took a Mears shuttle one time in the early 2000s that literally took HOURS. It was like a clown car, and I think everyone was staying at a different motel.

When Mears does pretty much take over bus operation to all area resorts & hotels, I'm hoping they at least initiate some methods to separate/consolidate folks going to WDW resorts (including SWALPHIN) vs. DS and close by hotels vs. UNI resorts and close by hotels vs. elsewhere into separate busses. It'll still take longer than DME on a bad day, but it wouldn't be a total crapshoot as to when you actually get to your accommodations.

Personally, I don't think I've driven around WDW in over 15 years. Even now with DME still running there's a healthy amount of Lyft & Uber availability, I'm thinking post-DME the number of rideshare services would increase somewhat - especially for travel to and from WDW and MCO. There was already a healthy contingent that avoided doing DME from WDW to MCO because they felt being forced to travel on DME 3 (or 4) hours before their flight was excessive.

When Mears does pretty much take over bus operation to all area resorts & hotels, I'm hoping they at least initiate some methods to separate/consolidate folks going to WDW resorts (including SWALPHIN) vs. DS and close by hotels vs. UNI resorts and close by hotels vs. elsewhere into separate busses. It'll still take longer than DME on a bad day, but it wouldn't be a total crapshoot as to when you actually get to your accommodations.

Personally, I don't think I've driven around WDW in over 15 years. Even now with DME still running there's a healthy amount of Lyft & Uber availability, I'm thinking post-DME the number of rideshare services would increase somewhat - especially for travel to and from WDW and MCO. There was already a healthy contingent that avoided doing DME from WDW to MCO because they felt being forced to travel on DME 3 (or 4) hours before their flight was excessive.
NO, those Super Shuttles are super slow. Stop at every single motel.

Mears is not going to take over the DME operation, it is the DME operation and has been all along. Only thing Disney added was the branding wrapped/paint on the buses and videos. Whether or not they continue the routes like they have now will be up to them, however I bet they will add more stops/less buses because I doubt it was running efficiently. Which was probably the reason Disney is ending the partnership. They saw the ridership versus costs and it was a fairly easy decision to axe it. Ridership has dropped even before the pandemic and the pandemic just sped up the decision. Can't imagine how much they were losing just on that contract this year, most likely in the millions/month. I would prefer that money spent to hire back CSM's and add more to the parks that everyone could use and not just a percentage of resort guests.

Last edited:

Aren't they still storing all the Minnie Vans on a used car lot somewhere? (seriously, I think I read that)

I'm sure when Genie rolls out, there will be an app for ordering Minnie Vans straight from Disney for airport pick up/drop off, bypassing Lyft altogether. :D

Aren't they still storing all the Minnie Vans on a used car lot somewhere? (seriously, I think I read that)

I'm sure when Genie rolls out, there will be an app for ordering Minnie Vans straight from Disney for airport pick up/drop off, bypassing Lyft altogether. :D
I thought they were sent back to GM as they were leased. My assumption was Disney knew they would not resume MV before the leases were up. I was once told by a MV driver the cars are only kept up to two years so it made sense they’d ship them back without replacement.

If they bring MV back I would expect their airport business to be much busier now! We were told once by a driver they were transitioning the fleet to more suburbans for the airport and Port Canaveral runs so the service was utilized... people who balked at the price with kids and car seats might not balk so much without MDE.

Last edited:

NO, those Super Shuttles are super slow. Stop at every single motel.

We used them several times (Las Vegas) and although a turtle was faster, it was economical. It always seemed like our resort was the last stop on the hour plus "tour" after flying for 4+ hours.

The best way to get people to stay in expensive deluxe resorts is to give them a way to get there and walk around and check it out. There is no way they shut off that valve - and make people prove they are staying onsite before boarding transportation.
I agree, doing anything would be incredibly cumbersome. This reminds me of the conversation around when WDW reopened that they would be checking whether anyone coming in to the resort was either staying there or had a reservation. That didn't come to pass.

I saw where some dealer down in Orlando got ahold of some of the old Minnie Vans and was selling them at a crazy cost. I think they were all leased so they've probably been returned. However, WDW could easily lease a fleet of SUVs again. I don't think the vehicles would be a barrier to Minnie Vans coming back some day.

It sure sounds like Genie has everything to do with touring plans, so getting to the parks by time X will probably factor into the ability to secure airport transfers as well.

EDIT: Also Gustin hinted as such as well..

I think we need to have separate topic and speculate what the Genie will be. I recall reading that you would be able to make "wishes". Maybe Wishes = shuttle service, FastPass, priority queues, etc.

Those dividers are going to make people car sick! Can't wait for the first person to puke on the monorail. Dumbest timing ever. Lets up virus theater just as vaccines are rolling out. Such a waste of money and time.

Man, if I lived near Orlando now, I'd start building myself a business with a nice, large SUV and a load of car seats and booster seats. Pay some money to have it wrapped in some kind of fun color (a la polka dots or something else not licensed). Magical Motion - Moving YOU to the place of Magical Memories. Get background checked and have the fire department check all your car seat installations (for the worried mamas out there). Slap on some Minnie Ears and a Smile and launch the website!

I wasn’t suggesting it’s a total replacement of DME, but there’s no denying that it is an option. You’re undoubtedly going to have people using it as airport transportation. And you’re going to see people use it as a local service to go to DS. I don’t think anyone wants to see DME go away, but fighting back as if DME were the only option of transportation that’s currently there and will be coming at some point in the future will have this conversation moving in circles until the end of time

It will undoubtedly be an option for resort guests. But what do they do when they all arrive at DS? Pile on a Disney bus with all their luggage? Doesn't sound like much fun. If it truly is going to be a legit option for resort guests, there needs to be more than a few train trips a day.

I said this in another thread, it's just not smart thinking from Disney. The DME kept guests in the bubble, making sure they spent all their money on Disney property. Forcing them to choose alternative methods of transportation only encourages people to venture off-site at times.

Man, if I lived near Orlando now, I'd start building myself a business with a nice, large SUV and a load of car seats and booster seats. Pay some money to have it wrapped in some kind of fun color (a la polka dots or something else not licensed). Magical Motion - Moving YOU to the place of Magical Memories. Get background checked and have the fire department check all your car seat installations (for the worried mamas out there). Slap on some Minnie Ears and a Smile and launch the website!

It does sound lucrative out-of-the-gate, but I would be concerned that if/when a major transportation carrier is involved, I'd be sitting on an inventory. Of course, maybe my fleet would be fully paid for by the time a/the competitor comes to fruition. Interesting.

I wouldn’t spend the money. This isn’t live until 2022, no idea what Disney, Mears, etc will come out with by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter