Cruise Insurance Info

In my opinion - travel insurance is a definite. Especially for the medical/evacuation coverage. Most US health plans do not cover out of country (and that's where you are once you board the ship).
I so agree. I wouldn't drive my car without insurance. I wouldn't let my kid run around without health insurance. Travel insurance seems like a no-brainer.

If I booked with a TA do I have to insure my trip through them or can I do it on my own?

TIA

In my opinion - travel insurance is a definite. Especially for the medical/evacuation coverage. Most US health plans do not cover out of country (and that's where you are once you board the ship).
Thank you Princess Schmoo. Like I said in a previous post, you are a celebrity in our home. We love all your comments and advice.

You can book separate insurance if you do not want coverage suggested by your travel agent. We booked our last and next European cruises through a travel agent, but booked travel insurance through the company we use for home and auto insurance (Nationwide). To get a quote, I input the non-refundable out-of-pocket cost of the trip, the dates of the trip, and the date of initial payment (to determine pre-existing condition coverage). I think I also had to indicate a primary location -- for European cruises, I used the country we stayed in before or after the trip. Sites that show plans from several different insurers probably work similarly.

My son is joining us for a few days before an upcoming cruise, then flying home a few days later. While pulling together paperwork for our trip, I realized we didn't include him when we booked the insurance becayse he wasn't going on the cruise. I just booked insurance for the land portion of his trip ($95 for 7 days -- a policy with lower maximum payouts was $55). My main concern was medical care in another country, and the small but real change of needing special accommodations on a flight home if something happens. So, for the cost of 2 or 3 nice dinners, we have piece of mind.

Squaremouthdotcom is another insurance booking site. It has better filters than insuremytrip for picking a policy. Whatever policy you pick make sure [IMHO] that it has no deductible, acts as the primary medical coverage, $100,000+ medical and dental, covers pre-existing conditions, $250,000+ medical evacuation [add'l coverage for non-medical evacuation would be a plus], and covers cancelling trip because of work or medical reasons. Calling the booking site and speaking with a person is always an option. Both agencies have always been helpful with coverage questions. Have a great cruise.
:)

You can book separate insurance if you do not want coverage suggested by your travel agent. We booked our last and next European cruises through a travel agent, but booked travel insurance through the company we use for home and auto insurance (Nationwide). To get a quote, I input the non-refundable out-of-pocket cost of the trip, the dates of the trip, and the date of initial payment (to determine pre-existing condition coverage). I think I also had to indicate a primary location -- for European cruises, I used the country we stayed in before or after the trip. Sites that show plans from several different insurers probably work similarly.

My son is joining us for a few days before an upcoming cruise, then flying home a few days later. While pulling together paperwork for our trip, I realized we didn't include him when we booked the insurance becayse he wasn't going on the cruise. I just booked insurance for the land portion of his trip ($95 for 7 days -- a policy with lower maximum payouts was $55). My main concern was medical care in another country, and the small but real change of needing special accommodations on a flight home if something happens. So, for the cost of 2 or 3 nice dinners, we have piece of mind.
Wow thank you for all the information. I appreciate the time you took to reply. :)

Squaremouthdotcom is another insurance booking site. It has better filters than ************ for picking a policy. Whatever policy you pick make sure [IMHO] that it has no deductible, acts as the primary medical coverage, $100,000+ medical and dental, covers pre-existing conditions, $250,000+ medical evacuation [add'l coverage for non-medical evacuation would be a plus], and covers cancelling trip because of work or medical reasons. Calling the booking site and speaking with a person is always an option. Both agencies have always been helpful with coverage questions. Have a great cruise.
:)
Thank you for the detailed post. I appreciate it. :)

Ok, I did. It do that. But good to know.

You weren't the only poster to do it and the posters doing it are relatively new. It's easy to miss that sticky and not know so this was just a friendly reminder so that no one gets in trouble for bypassing the filter. :goodvibes:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter