Customer Service

I agree that I do hear about some not so good experiences here. I myself have never had bad customer service at DL. I also have never received pixie dust by any cm. I do believe it happens. The people working there are real people with real life. Im sure they have issues at work like we all do and it is not always the happiest place for them. I do not expect everyone to always be extra helpful or cheerful. I f I have a question I just expect them to answer. People have bad days and some people don't know how to just fake a smile. I definitely don't think they should be ignoring customers to have side conversations but if no one needs help I dont have a problem with them having a life and talking amongst themselves instead of just watching me shop or eat.

Isn't it odd how the vast majority can visit Disneyland over and over and never experience or even witness "hateful" CMs who yell at and demean guests? At worst, they might encounter a CM who isn't as helpful as the guest would have liked. But even when that happens, they just let it roll off their backs and forget about it -- you know, like sane people do.

And yet a small group seems to experience something egregious virtually every time they're at the parks. I wonder why that is. 🤔

Last time we went which was almost 2 years ago, we were in line to order Beignets and as we got up to the window we stood there for 3-4 minutes with the girl manning the window just ignoring us while she stared at her cell phone. I dont mind waiting if you are working but she appeared to be screwing around and then didnt seem to happy when she finally got to us to take our order like we had interupted her.

Last time we went which was almost 2 years ago, we were in line to order Beignets and as we got up to the window we stood there for 3-4 minutes with the girl manning the window just ignoring us while she stared at her cell phone. I dont mind waiting if you are working but she appeared to be screwing around and then didnt seem to happy when she finally got to us to take our order like we had interupted her.

Why the heck did you stand there that long without speaking up? That is a LONG time to just stand and wait. I would have said something at the 30 second mark.

Let's pull this thread back to where the OP started it. Not about hateful CMs and seeing "something egregious virtually every time". They said "Most cast members are still fine and a few of them are exceptional. But on our current vacation we have seen or encountered multiple bad experiences with cast members. Probably as many bad ones as I've had in all the other years I've been going to Disneyland. Situations where cast members arguing out loud with each other about who is supposed to wait on you. Other cast members just standing around chatting and intentionally ignoring customers for minutes on end and one time where a cast member yelled and demeaned a guest."

So they said most CMs are fine and yet on this particular trip they saw more examples of bad guest service than in all previous years combined. Let's not lump them into a made-up category of continual whiners who go out of their way to be miserable or look to be offended.

So, IN GENERAL, have people had or seen more examples of poor guest service recently as compared to years past? Many posters here said that no, they still experience the same high levels of guest service that Disney is known for and has always delivered. Others have given some specific examples of poor service, but these could be one-offs that could have happened anytime in the past, too.

Maybe we need to make this a poll, but as a trend do people think Disney guest service is as good as it ever was, or has been slipping a bit over time?

Was at Disneyland last summer. Overall, our experience was good as it was our first time. Some of the folks at the front gate didn't seem thrilled to be there, but maybe they were just having a bad day.

Let's pull this thread back to where the OP started it. Not about hateful CMs and seeing "something egregious virtually every time".

Actually, I think his history of trashing CMs in particular and Disney in general is relevant to this thread.

As I was reading through some back posts a couple of days ago, I ran across a post of his where he wrote, "We go to Disneyland quite a bit, and sadly, we have experienced some hateful cast members as well.... I never knew what it was I was doing wrong but this young gal was over the top hateful towards me about moving away from something."

Here's the post, so you can see that the context is exactly the way I present it:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...rience-with-a-cm-today.3579210/#post-57129900
Hateful CMs and yelling at and demeaning guests qualifies as egregious behavior. And it's not just these two threads. It's been a pretty consistent theme. I'm not going to go back and dig up a bunch more examples (I just knew exactly what to search for with this one, because it had struck me as so over the top and, frankly, implausible, when I read it recently). But there are plenty of other examples out there. "Virtually every time" is no exaggeration.

In all the times I've gone to the parks, I've only encountered one negative experience. It was a CM by RSR. Other than that, if I approach a CM's and they are talking and don't acknowledge me, I will say "excuse me", and ask my question. When I've done that, I've even gotten a few" Oh I'm sorry, what is your question" and they smile. So they realized they weren't as attentive as they should have been. But I am not bothered when I see CM's talking amongst themselves.

Was at Disneyland last summer. Overall, our experience was good as it was our first time. Some of the folks at the front gate didn't seem thrilled to be there, but maybe they were just having a bad day.
TBH if I worked the front gate I wouldn't be happy either lol. You have to turn people away if they don't have tickets, are blocked out, their maxpass won't load, etc. Also, on a day like yesterday where it was packed, I'm sure the line to scan people through was long.

Actually, I think his history of trashing CMs in particular and Disney in general is relevant to this thread.

As I was reading through some back posts a couple of days ago, I ran across a post of his where he wrote, "We go to Disneyland quite a bit, and sadly, we have experienced some hateful cast members as well.... I never knew what it was I was doing wrong but this young gal was over the top hateful towards me about moving away from something."

Here's the post, so you can see that the context is exactly the way I present it:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...rience-with-a-cm-today.3579210/#post-57129900
Hateful CMs and yelling at and demeaning guests qualifies as egregious behavior. And it's not just these two threads. It's been a pretty consistent theme. I'm not going to go back and dig up a bunch more examples (I just knew exactly what to search for with this one, because it had struck me as so over the top and, frankly, implausible, when I read it recently). But there are plenty of other examples out there. "Virtually every time" is no exaggeration.

As I referenced at the beginning of this thread, I have had negative experiences before but they have been few and far between. That post you referenced that involved the parade was one of them.

But I have to say I'm curious about your posts as well. Why are you digging through my old posts trying to discredit me? Do you work for Disney's Social media team?

2. I had an employee giving me compliments on my Star Wars t-shirt, but then delving into an inappropriate conversation about the Last Jedi, Kathleen Kennedy, and other gripes he has about current Star Wars and where Disney is taking it.

Your other complaints are totally valid as well, but this one especially irks me. If I cross paths with a *CM* that starts in on this with me, they've had it. I'm not saying I'll go off, but I'll just tell them what I think of their unwanted opinions.

@tarheelalum, no offense, but you complain a lot on these boards (I'd dare say most of your posts are negative) and I only know that because I've been posting here for years and I'm always surprised when I see you post something positive. You may do so if you wish, but in reality, yes, you complain a lot about Disney.

Not to go off topic, but.

Tarheelalum, so sorry to hear of your negative experiences! I’m glad you did find mostly pleasant CMs other than those unfortunate instances. When we were there 3 weeks ago, I will say we didn’t have even one iffy customer service experience. We were so pleased that we ran into many super great and kind CMs. I was particularly amazed at the guys at the DTD bag check. Even late in the day, super busy, they were uniformly cheerful, joking with us, pleasant. On our last day as we went back to the hotel, I stopped, turned around, and told them how awesome they had all been for our visits. They looked so pleased to get some validation for their hard work!

@tarheelalum, no offense, but you complain a lot on these boards (I'd dare say most of your posts are negative) and I only know that because I've been posting here for years and I'm always surprised when I see you post something positive. You may do so if you wish, but in reality, yes, you complain a lot about Disney.

Not to go off topic, but.

Well, you just went off topic by personally attacking lol! So, bringing it back to the original post, I think, like everything in the world, Disney and CM's have changed over the years. We as park goers have to accept that fact and be able to understand that working at Disney isn't "magical" or "special" anymore. The CM's are just people like everyone else, and they are expected to do more with less. We need to be a little more understanding and kinder to the CM's and to each other.

I haven't run into this myself, but it sure would be frustrating if I did. Sorry you experienced that!

I really have never felt that I received bad service at DLR, but it's certainly possible as it's possible everywhere.

Well, you just went off topic by personally attacking lol! So, bringing it back to the original post, I think, like everything in the world, Disney and CM's have changed over the years. We as park goers have to accept that fact and be able to understand that working at Disney isn't "magical" or "special" anymore. The CM's are just people like everyone else, and they are expected to do more with less. We need to be a little more understanding and kinder to the CM's and to each other.

That wasn't meant to be a PA, just observing reality.

When I think back, like, decades, I'd say the overall caliber of "Disney service" has probably declined somewhat, which is to be expected because the culture of being a Disneyland CM has changed in some fundamental ways. There used to be way fewer CMs who were paid better and trained better. (I mean, the CM training used to be SO much more intensive.) My understanding is that a lot of behind the scenes stuff has declined, such as food offerings for the CMs. They didn't used to have to park far away and shuttle over. They didn't used to have to care for their own uniforms. Etc. Quite frankly, it used to be a more "elite" type of job, so it attracted and retained a higher caliber of employee.

Within the past 15 years, wherein I've attended Disneyland frequently as an adult, I haven't noted much of a change. I've had a handful of poor CM experiences, including one that I emailed feedback about (and two others where I strongly considered it but didn't). So that's three distinctly negative experiences in hundreds of visits. I've OFTEN encountered CMs who are giving out inaccurate information (especially on things like Maxpass, sigh), but that's more an issue of top-down information and training. Overall, I wouldn't say any of those issues are more significant now than they were a decade ago.

I will say that I also personally know quite a few CMs now. I've had former students go on to work for Disney, and I've met some through friends that I now sometimes socialize with. They're overwhelmingly people who love Disney and try really hard to provide great service, but there are always outliers. And they have some guest STORIES, let me tell you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter