D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me this isn't intentional to try to milk people out of a second trip just to come back and ride RotR?

It sounds like that's the case base on the parks blog article. They're opening early to "meet guest demand for the new land"

Yep, that is corporate speak for - we knew we could make more money this way. And the fact they are doing it at both parks just confirms it.

I honestly don't know what to do. We have hotel reservations for July 5-14 at GCH. I highly doubt that RotR will be up by then. Thinking about cancelling and going back when everything will be up and running.

Glad to see there will be three access points to this land and not just two which I had read was predicted before: "Star Wars Land will have three entrances at Disneyland. The first is located right next to Fantasyland, the second is next to Frontierland, and the third is found via a trail from Critter Country below the Hungry Bear Restaurant."

Yep, that is corporate speak for - we knew we could make more money this way. And the fact they are doing it at both parks just confirms it.

I honestly don't know what to do. We have hotel reservations for July 5-14 at GCH. I highly doubt that RotR will be up by then. Thinking about cancelling and going back when everything will be up and running.
I wouldn’t cancel until they give more info, but I think you’re right to be concerned. This was unexpected and seems shortsighted.

As a local, I'm very much OK with this. If people put off their trips until later, it will be slightly less of a madhouse to just go and get food and soak in the atmosphere. Now, the die hard SW fans and the passholders are just going to add more trips, but hopefully it will help them get things up and running and work the kinks out a little easier before all the once-in-a-lifetime guests descend.

From the blog post:

Guests planning to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland park between May 31 and June 23, 2019 will need valid theme park admission and will be required to make a no-cost reservation, subject to availability, to access the land. Information on how to make a reservation will be available at a later date on Disneyland.com

I'd still count it as 2 since the fantasyland & frontierland entrances are on opposite ends of big thunder trail so still fairly close to each other. Makes me wonder if they'll move/remove the smoking area there since it will be a high traffic area for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like the same people who think it's a good idea to make endless live action remakes, got a say in the decision to open SW:GE in phases. Not happy about this at all.
So, I was at a social event lately with someone who’s pretty high up in Disney management and overheard him complaining about the weather lately, how it’s “thrown off work and materials shipments and timelines,” and he wasn’t talking to me so I couldn’t ask more, but...

I suspect that they knew everyone expected June (and Bob Iger had said June), but they realized they just can’t get RotR open by then. So they were like, “well, let’s just open everything else, then.” I think the phases were not planned, but once RotR got delayed so it couldn’t make “June,” they decided to do this.

Glad to see there will be three access points to this land and not just two which I had read was predicted before: "Star Wars Land will have three entrances at Disneyland. The first is located right next to Fantasyland, the second is next to Frontierland, and the third is found via a trail from Critter Country below the Hungry Bear Restaurant."

Where are you finding this information? Was that during the meeting too?

So, I was at a social event lately with someone who’s pretty high up in Disney management and overheard him complaining about the weather lately, how it’s “thrown off work and materials shipments and timelines,” and he wasn’t talking to me so I couldn’t ask more, but...

I suspect that they knew everyone expected June (and Bob Iger had said June), but they realized they just can’t get RotR open by then. So they were like, “well, let’s just open everything else, then.” I think the phases were not planned, but once RotR got delayed so it couldn’t make “June,” they decided to do this.

I think if RotR wouldn't be ready by June, they would have said that in the press release. Instead they made it sound just like a cash grab. EDIT: also don't forget they are apparently doing the phases at WDW too.

Well then. There we go.

I dunno. I think they have to do something to manage the crowds. But not having both rides going will be a bummer to those who wanted to go right away.

We are planning a spring 2020 trip. I’m wondering how long they are waiting to open the other ride and how long the reservation system will be in place to go to the land?

From the blog post:

Guests planning to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland park between May 31 and June 23, 2019 will need valid theme park admission and will be required to make a no-cost reservation, subject to availability, to access the land. Information on how to make a reservation will be available at a later date on Disneyland.com
Also, Disney hotel guests get reservations. Make those reservations now!

Well then. There we go.

I dunno. I think they have to do something to manage the crowds. But not having both rides going will be a bummer to those who wanted to go right away.

We are planning a spring 2020 trip. I’m wondering how long they are waiting to open the other ride and how long the reservation system will be in place to go to the land?
Right now it says the reservation system is just until June 23.

Press release has more detail than the Blog (but reads very similar). Sorry for the length. Once available more readily on the Web, I will edit post with a link.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Set to Open at Disneyland Resort on May
2019-03-07 16:55:27.261 GMT

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Set to Open at Disneyland Resort on May 31 and at
Walt Disney World Resort on Aug. 29

PR Newswire

BURBANK, California, March 8, 2019

All-new land will invite guests to live their own Star Wars adventures, with
an epic opening for Star Wars : Rise of the Resistance later this year

BURBANK, California, March 8, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- In anticipation of high
guest interest, Disney Parks, Experiences and Products announced today it will
open Star Wars : Galaxy's Edge ahead of schedule at Disneyland Park in
California on May 31 and at Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World
Resort in Florida on Aug. 29.

On opening day for phase one, guests will be transported to the remote planet
of Batuu, full of unique sights, sounds, smells and tastes. Guests can become
part of the story as they sample galactic food and beverages, explore an
intriguing collection of merchant shops and take the controls of the most
famous ship in the galaxy aboard Millennium Falcon : Smugglers Run .

Phase two, opening later this year, will be Star Wars : Rise of the
Resistance, the most ambitious, immersive and advanced attraction ever
imagined, which will place guests in the middle of a climactic battle between
the First Order and the Resistance and will blur the lines between fantasy and
reality. In light of tremendous demand, Disney made the decision to open the
land in phases to allow guests to sooner enjoy the one-of-a-kind experiences
that make Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge so spectacular.

Edit: Link to long press release
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-disney-world-resort-on-aug-29-300808622.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter