• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really excited they decided to do a soft opening. It should help them with crowd issues and being prepared for the full onslaught once everything is open. I'm slightly bummed only because I just agreed to chaperone a grad nite at Universal on opening day...but I will live. I'm super envious of everyone who will get to go this summer.
Where have you seen they are doing a soft opening? All I have seen is they are opening in phases, this is different than a soft opening.

Where have you seen they are doing a soft opening? All I have seen is they are opening in phases, this is different than a soft opening.

The article I read referred to the phases as a soft opening. I don't remember where I read it since I was sort of busy trying to sneak in Disneyland news while I was teaching my class...Phases is probably the better wording I guess.

Jeez, I'm planning a DLR trip for early June of 2020 and this is stressing me out a bit. With the 2 phase (at least) opening I wonder how many non-locals might just chuck their summer 2019 plans and go in 2020 instead when it will be all but guaranteed to be fully up? Anyone that can only manage a DLR every few years that also really wants to experience GE would be foolish to plan to go even late summer this year. We just want to go to DLR because DH and I haven't been in a long time and DD hasn't been yet, GE being open by then was just a happy coincidence. I don't mind some crowds but I'm hoping it won't be insane.

There’s very few things I enjoy more than Disney with the family. There’s very few things I loathe more than really, really bad crowds. I knew it was gonna be crowded anyway the first week of June when we booked for DL (our first time there, we’ve always done WDW), but figured for sure we’d be safe from the SWGE crowds. Now, I’m actually dreading that part of our trip... someone please talk me down, even if you have to lie to me.
Why would you figure that for sure? That is in June after all.

My guess is if they are opening in phases, ROTR will be two to three months behind Smuggler's Run.
While I disagreed with @cmwade77 earlier, I totally agree here. If they originally thought they would have everything ready, including ROTR, by June, then the safe bet is that it is just a few months out. Heck, at this point it could even be a month and open on June 30. Nothing they have said has precluded this. The option they chose gives them flexibility to decide. And just announce it on short notice.

:wizard:

There will be no EMH/MM for SWGE at Disneyland. This surprised me but then I remembered MM in addition to EMH could easily overwhelm that area as the amount of people with MM access isn't capped.

So are you saying that the reservation will be instead of EMH/MM? That makes sense. But the way PP wrote about EMM/MM, I wondered if he/she meant there would be no EMH/MM indefinitely.

EMH and MM at Disneyland park has always been for only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. In the article they specifically state extra hours will not be available at DL but will be at WDW. This is likely due to the fact that DL EMH/MM are a Fantasyland and Tomorrowland experience whereas at WDW it can include the entire park.

Found this on Disney’s website.

38" (97 cm) or taller

40" (102 cm) or taller

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/height-requirements/

Thank you for posting this. This is a discussion we had recently. Interesting that MF ended up as only a 38" ride.

We have never been to Disneyland and are going May 28-June 1. We are staying at Grand Californian. The only day we will be there that this is open is May 31. Did I read correctly that they will give hotel guests a time to go?

To my knowledge this has not happened at Disney World( our home parks). If this is true I am curious how this will work. I didn’t see any details

I booked our May 30-June 3 trip SPECIFICALLY to avoid this. Now this. We are staying on property so I assume we will get a reservation time.
Being there, it will be insanity but I'm just going to get Zen and flow. So much for my well planned trip.
But how could you have thought that? There was a lot of speculation around here by, ahem, people like me and @Skyegirl1999 that SWGE would open as early as Memorial Day. Everyone was reading way too much into the (Deluxe) AP Blockout Calendar. All Disney ever said was “summer 2019”.

The fact that Disney is making access to SW:GE available via FREE reservations when it first opens tells me this is not just a cash grab. They could have easily charged 10, 50 or even a 100 dollars or more for the reservations to get in and people would have paid it. But they aren’t doing that. It sucks not having RotR open at first but it will help even out the crowds a little. I’m sure the the reservations are going to be snatched up super quick but I hope I get one. I’m not going to wait hours to get on the Millenium Falcon ride but I’ll just be happy to walk through SW:GE and take in all the ambiance.

I’m a bit hysterical about the lack of FastPass option for the falcon at this point too. :chewy:

I’ve been telling myself since we planned this trip over a year ago that at least I could MaxPass it and avoid standing in a four hour line! I hope they add FP sooner rather than later!

I’m a bit hysterical about the lack of FastPass option for the falcon at this point too. :chewy:

I’ve been telling myself since we planned this trip over a year ago that at least I could MaxPass it and avoid standing in a four hour line! I hope they add FP sooner rather than later!

I'm with you there. Even the Single Rider line for MF:SR is going to be insane.

If people have to get a reservation to get into the land that could help reduce the standby line. There is always the possibility that reservations could be extended past June 23. I think Disney is trying their best to prepare for overwhelming crowds. I hope everyone going this summer gets to visit the land.

Any speculations on how these reservations will work? Maybe like ADRS or FP+ with reservations opening at 7am 30 or 60 days ahead?

We have never been to Disneyland and are going May 28-June 1. We are staying at Grand Californian. The only day we will be there that this is open is May 31. Did I read correctly that they will give hotel guests a time to go?

To my knowledge this has not happened at Disney World( our home parks). If this is true I am curious how this will work. I didn’t see any details
Oof. Sorry but this is all brand new to us here as well. More info will be available much closer to your dates. They say they’ll give hotel guests a pass per registered guest so that’s going for you. Whether it will be here is your 1 pm Jun 1 pass or here’s an anytime pass or here’s your priority code for the app to grab your time today we have NO idea. Unfortunately being there May 31 & Jun 1 you’re gonna basically a guinea pig. Be ready for sheer insanity on May 31 & June 1. Hit the most important DL stuff to you May 28-30. At least staying at GCH will give you easy afternoon breaks.

The bright side is you might have a great experience with the CMs! We went for the 60th right after it kicked off and it seemed like all our CM interactions were stepped up, there was an air of excitement about it since it was so new & such a big deal & the CMs were enjoying it.

I booked our May 30-June 3 trip SPECIFICALLY to avoid this. Now this. We are staying on property so I assume we will get a reservation time.
Being there, it will be insanity but I'm just going to get Zen and flow. So much for my well planned trip.
That’s the spirit! Ooh... I hear they have spirits now in SWGE that’ll help with that ;)

We are booked as DVC guests for a 2 Bedroom villa (4 adults and 4 kids) at the GCV May 24-27. Is there any chance we will get to experience SWGA?

I think we're the only ones excited about this. We weren't planning a trip until the fall but decided to do a trip today from 5/26 to 6/1. Then after a few minutes, I looked on my FB newsfeed and saw the breaking news about it opening on the 31st! We're incredibly excited and can't wait for more details to get released. I think at this point it's just got to be a go with the flow.
Us too! This is going to be awesome! People complaining about the opening? It's good business to get two openings out of one land by staggering the dates. No one is going to fly across the country and be disappointed. If you're going for this, then it's to be a part of the spectacle! 20 years from now you'll look back on your trips to Disney and know you were there -- for opening day.

It's total go with the flow. But seems Disney has a handle on it with guaranteeing their resort guests a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter