D23 EXPO THREAD - See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gutted to hear of the passing of Marty Sklar. In retrospect I'm even more happy that I made our last two panels at this year's D23 ones that Marty was involved in. Talk about people who will be missed. He was a giant in the Disney community, a classic gentleman and one of the last few direct links to Walt. RIP Marty. You did great work for a great company and you will be sorely missed by many, many people.

Same here. I was tired by then, but I'm glad I made Legends of Imagineering a priority.

Like many of you I have seen Marty Sklar at several past Expos. I remember thinking this time how he looked like he was not in good health. I was sad to read this.

I thought he didn't seem like his usual self too.

This was a great article, thank you. We went for our first time and you said pretty much everything that we experienced. We commented to some of the Cast Members there that they do such a great job of crowd and line management and the park but at the Expo there was some truly terrible management.

I think we fluked getting into the Legends Award ceremony but things went downhill from there. We still made the most of it and I'm glad to have experienced it, but not sure I will again anytime soon.

When do you think they will announce the Expo dates for 2019? This was my first Expo and we had a blast but I never paid attention to when they announced the dates before. I am a teacher and have summers off, but my husband is a pastor and summer tends to get busy with weddings. I just want to make sure he doesn't schedule a wedding for the dates in 2019. :-) (Although he does I'll would still go to the Expo, just without him!)

When do you think they will announce the Expo dates for 2019? This was my first Expo and we had a blast but I never paid attention to when they announced the dates before. I am a teacher and have summers off, but my husband is a pastor and summer tends to get busy with weddings. I just want to make sure he doesn't schedule a wedding for the dates in 2019. :-) (Although he does I'll would still go to the Expo, just without him!)

About a year and a half in advance since tickets go on sale a year in advance.

About a year and a half in advance since tickets go on sale a year in advance.
Yeah ... IIRC in the last cycle they announced 2017 dates sometime around the end of 2015 or the early part of 2016. So keeping an eye out in December or January would work.

It appears that Disney is trying to position the D23 Expo before Comicon. Like this year they held it the weekend before. So if you know when Comicon will be in 2019 then that will likely tell you when the Expo is happening. Otherwise as others noted, they announce it well before 12 months.

:wizard:

It appears that Disney is trying to position the D23 Expo before Comicon. Like this year they held it the weekend before. So if you know when Comicon will be in 2019 then that will likely tell you when the Expo is happening. Otherwise as others noted, they announce it well before 12 months.

:wizard:
Yeah, that's true. And since there's no way they'll want to get D23 too close to July 4th and SD Comicon has been settling into the 3rd weekend of July most of the time, then D23 is likely going to be the 2nd full weekend in July most of the time. That's probably a good target at least.

Yeah, that's true. And since there's no way they'll want to get D23 too close to July 4th and SD Comicon has been settling into the 3rd weekend of July most of the time, then D23 is likely going to be the 2nd full weekend in July most of the time. That's probably a good target at least.
There is a big Anime Expo af Los Angeles convention center each year over 4th of July weekend, runs 4 nights. Disney may not want to compete with that as even though Disney is not at AX there is likely some overlap with attendees.

My expo coverage trip report is nearly done. Just need to add the photos but the text break down is there. I seriously got clouded brain and got some days mixed up so had to go back and reorganize it. Just need to finish Fantasmic night and final thoughts.

There is a big Anime Expo af Los Angeles convention center each year over 4th of July weekend, runs 4 nights. Disney may not want to compete with that as even though Disney is not at AX there is likely some overlap with attendees.

Attendees (especially cosplayers) and vendors both, I'd think. I forgot that Anime Expo was over the first weekend in July. That pretty much pins Disney down to the weekend between that and SDCC unless they abandon July. There's a pretty hefty schedule of decent sized national Cons in June too (including E3), and Disney certainly won't want to be slotted after San Diego. I think it's pretty safe to pencil in that 2nd weekend in July, at least for targeting purposes.

Attendees (especially cosplayers) and vendors both, I'd think. I forgot Anime Expo was over the first weekend in July. That pretty much pins Disney down to the weekend between that and SDCC unless they abandon July. There's a pretty hefty schedule of decent sized national Cons in June too, and Disney certainly won't want to be after San Diego. I think it's pretty safe to pencil in that 2nd weekend in July, at least for targeting purposes.

They have been after SDCC every year except 2015. I could see them doing the week after as well. They were polling us in the sorcerers lounge on if we liked it that close to SDCC or not. Our honest answer was it didn't matter because we could never make both work in the same year but that July did feel like lower crowds than August.

Attendees (especially cosplayers) and vendors both, I'd think. I forgot that Anime Expo was over the first weekend in July. That pretty much pins Disney down to the weekend between that and SDCC unless they abandon July. There's a pretty hefty schedule of decent sized national Cons in June too (including E3), and Disney certainly won't want to be slotted after San Diego. I think it's pretty safe to pencil in that 2nd weekend in July, at least for targeting purposes.
Do you think they might also be considering school schedules? Some schools back east or mid west start back around that second week of August. As D23 becomes more popular With families & kids, they may have gottten feedback asking for dates in July.

They have been after SDCC every year except 2015. I could see them doing the week after as well. They were polling us in the sorcerers lounge on if we liked it that close to SDCC or not. Our honest answer was it didn't matter because we could never make both work in the same year but that July did feel like lower crowds than August.
I think the general trend for D23 is to try and get in ahead of SDCC on the schedule so they can control the amount and type of live action announcements. There was a lot of speculation 2 years ago that Disney would eventually just handle their live action business at D23 and forgo SDCC entirely, but I think that was overblown. Looks to me like they want to throw some fresh meat to their own fans but still save a little something for the bright spotlight of SDCC. Put it this way ... they've done it pretty much the same way for two D23s in a row and that makes it an actual trend.

Do you think they might also be considering school schedules? Some schools back east or mid west start back around that second week of August. As D23 becomes more popular With families & kids, they may have gottten feedback asking for dates in July.
That's probably a part of it, but I'm thinking staying ahead of SDCC is a bigger issue for them.

I think the general trend for D23 is to try and get in ahead of SDCC on the schedule so they can control the amount and type of live action announcements. There was a lot of speculation 2 years ago that Disney would eventually just handle their live action business at D23 and forgo SDCC entirely, but I think that was overblown. Looks to me like they want to throw some fresh meat to their own fans but still save a little something for the bright spotlight of SDCC. Put it this way ... they've done it pretty much the same way for two D23s in a row and that makes it an actual trend.

This was the very first one to be before SDCC so there is no trend yet. 2009 was in September and 2011-2015 were all in August. San Diego Comic Con has been late July since 2003 so I would say they have a trend for late July but D23 Expo has not established a trend for before SDCC just yet. I do think it could end up being before or after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter