DAS - Require ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, an emergency is an emergency. However, it sounds like an individual would be required to leave the queue, even if the food/drink was for a health-need. My point was for diabetics who often figure they can snack on carbs in the queue; they should plan to take a snack break before getting in line.
hers happened in line as a diabetic with no warning so yes it does happen and as I said they removed everyone behind us in line to get medical help in. there were a number of complaining about being forced to leave

hers happened in line as a diabetic with no warning so yes it does happen and as I said they removed everyone behind us in line to get medical help in. there were a number of complaining about being forced to leave
Also having glucose tabs with you is a handy thing

Obviously, an emergency is an emergency. However, it sounds like an individual would be required to leave the queue, even if the food/drink was for a health-need. My point was for diabetics who often figure they can snack on carbs in the queue; they should plan to take a snack break before getting in line.

And to add to that, some diabetics carry glucose tablets for these types of scenarios

My daughter has T1D, and 'planning to snack before getting in line' isn't often reasonable. She has run from 285 to 40 within a half-hour, and lines at an amusement park can be quite a bit longer than that. If she starts the line at 285, she's not going to need a snack and will have treated before starting the line. Then, if we get into the line, waiting for a while and her blood sugar drops low, low, low because we misjudged, or because it's Tuesday (I don't know, BS does what it wants to sometimes with brittles), we can have a serious emergency and need to snack. Sometimes a glucose tab doesn't do it, or it makes you react just like the roller coaster you go up and down on. Sometimes 'planning' goes out the window when it comes to T1D as many of you all here know. I for one say get the DAS pass. If your child (or yourself!) has had these issues, by all means, do what you need to do to make sure you/your child doesn't have a nightmare event because of an unpredictable disease. If it doesn't apply to you, no need to participate (lucky duck!). I hope that we would all be compassionate to those who deal with this dread disease and others who have a need for such aid.

My daughter has T1D, and 'planning to snack before getting in line' isn't often reasonable. She has run from 285 to 40 within a half-hour, and lines at an amusement park can be quite a bit longer than that. If she starts the line at 285, she's not going to need a snack and will have treated before starting the line. Then, if we get into the line, waiting for a while and her blood sugar drops low, low, low because we misjudged, or because it's Tuesday (I don't know, BS does what it wants to sometimes with brittles), we can have a serious emergency and need to snack. Sometimes a glucose tab doesn't do it, or it makes you react just like the roller coaster you go up and down on. Sometimes 'planning' goes out the window when it comes to T1D as many of you all here know. I for one say get the DAS pass. If your child (or yourself!) has had these issues, by all means, do what you need to do to make sure you/your child doesn't have a nightmare event because of an unpredictable disease. If it doesn't apply to you, no need to participate (lucky duck!). I hope that we would all be compassionate to those who deal with this dread disease and others who have a need for such aid.
Why can't you snack in line? I have seen this numerous times over the years. The mask rule would not apply to someone having a medical issue and everyone would understand. I can't see having a snack being an issue.

Why can't you snack in line? I have seen this numerous times over the years. The mask rule would not apply to someone having a medical issue and everyone would understand. I can't see having a snack being an issue.
Actually, the mask rule applies to everyone, including those having medical issues, they are insistent you step out of line and go to the back of the line after you finish wasting or drinking. We heard numerous people being told that on our last trip, including ones that were clearly having medical issues.

There is literally no middle ground here.

At this time WDW now has a rule: no eating or drinking in the queues. Folks can eat/drink in the "extended" queue outside, but once the main queue begins there are CMs stationed to be sure masks are up and all food/drinks disposed of or put away.

The good thing about WDW right now (from what I've heard from friends who have gone, and also read about here) is that the standby queues are moving pretty quickly and the wait times are exaggerated. Of course you can ask for a DAS, but hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised with the quicker access to most attractions now that FP+ is suspended.

At this time WDW now has a rule: no eating or drinking in the queues. Folks can eat/drink in the "extended" queue outside, but once the main queue begins there are CMs stationed to be sure masks are up and all food/drinks disposed of or put away.
I have seen the rules, but I have also seen them be ok with bringing bottles of water in the line. They also don't go through your bag for snacks. And there is no way that any cast member is going to stop you from ingesting liquid or snack when it comes to having a true medical issue. They wouldn't be working there for long if they did.

I have seen the rules, but I have also seen them be ok with bringing bottles of water in the line. They also don't go through your bag for snacks. And there is no way that any cast member is going to stop you from ingesting liquid or snack when it comes to having a true medical issue. They wouldn't be working there for long if they did.
They are indeed enforcing the rules, even with medical issues, as was said before not until the main queue begins, but once it does, it is very strict.

Low blood sugar is best dealt with before it becomes a true medical emergency. A real medical emergency will be dealt with as such -- see @Betty Rohrer 's post. I mentioned the new rule earlier because a diabetic (such as my DH) is not currently allowed to "snack his way through the queue" and tend to his needs more appropriately after the ride. People who didn't need DAS for their diabetes in the past, may need to request one now.

Low blood sugar is best dealt with before it becomes a true medical emergency. A real medical emergency will be dealt with as such -- see @Betty Rohrer 's post. I mentioned the new rule earlier because a diabetic (such as my DH) is not currently allowed to "snack his way through the queue" and tend to his needs more appropriately after the ride. People who didn't need DAS for their diabetes in the past, may need to request one now.
Exactly and as I said, we have seen them strict, your entire party must leave the queue and go to the back when finished eating. A DAS would be a good idea for people with such issues at present.

I was referring to those who, while managing it well, might still have an unexpected need. If you explain things to a cast member, I can't imagine them telling you to stop or anything more drastic. Who wants to have a medical issue on their hands when it is easily preventable. I bet if you asked them at guest services, they are not going to tell you not to do what you need to do in order to avoid a serious issue. That is just insane and illegal.

I was referring to those who, while managing it well, might still have an unexpected need. If you explain things to a cast member, I can't imagine them telling you to stop or anything more drastic. Who wants to have a medical issue on their hands when it is easily preventable. I bet if you asked them at guest services, they are not going to tell you not to do what you need to do in order to avoid a serious issue. That is just insane and illegal.
or as happened with my case it did become a medical situation requiring the line behind us to have to be removed to get EMTs in. and it happened that fast no time to get out of line. granted this was before covid there were quite a few who had to be removed with a lot of complaining. if this was tom happen now I would ask CM would you please call for EMTs as she will be going down and not able to leave on her own. wonder which they would want her to drink some juice or the EMTs with their report on what happened and why?

they are not going to tell you not to do what you need to do in order to avoid a serious issue.
In times past, DH might munch a package of trail mix over time while walking through the queue and plan to grab a sandwich after the ride. Now he would need to leave the queue, go outside to eat, and start again because by that point he can’t rejoin the queue. Maybe the CM would let him in the FP queue, though by the time he leaves the queue to eat he would do more than just the package of trail mix at that point, so probably not rejoining the queue immediately. It’s not illegal. Leave the queue to eat.

In times past, DH might munch a package of trail mix over time while walking through the queue. Now he would need to leave the queue, go outside to eat, and start again because by that point he can’t rejoin the queue. Maybe the CM would let him in the FP queue, though by the time he leaves the queue to eat he would do more than just the package of trail mix at that point, so probably not rejoining the queue immediately. It’s not illegal. Leave the queue to eat.
Yeah, and I am not saying for people to not get a DAS if it will help them . I am just saying that no one should let a cast member to stop you from doing what you need to do for your health. Don't be scared to not follow the "rules" when it comes down to your health.

I am just saying that no one should let a cast member to stop you from doing what you need to do for your health. Don't be scared to not follow the "rules" when it comes down to your health.
The 2 aren’t mutually exclusive. One can follow the rules (no eating in the queue) and take care of of their needs (leave the queue to eat). You just can’t walk through the queue munching a snack.

On our trip in April, I carried a bunch of Smarties with me. I am an adult T1, without symptoms for low blood sugar until I get to about 32...then I start to lose my vision. My BG falls quickly so I planned on having an easily eaten snack in lines. I was able to dump smarties in my hand, slip my hand under my mask, dump the smartie and carry on. No cast member said anything to me. I used this system several times during the week.

You go to GS and explain why the person trying for the DAS, cannot wait in the regular line. No photo I D is required. All members of the party, must have entered the park. If granted, the person getting the DAS will have their picture taken on a tablet. All magic bands for the party (currently 5 and the holder) will have the DAS added to their bands. If you have more than 6 in the party, it is up to Guest Relations.

Anyone can go to the ride to get a return time. Only one return time, at a time. The DAS holder must be first to go through the ride line and ride the ride.

We've traveled with family in a group of 12 - DAS was added to the whole party - Disney is awesome - we have multiple children with varying disabilities and some adults needing accommodations too never an issue there. Universal on the other hand.. ugh - they are a huge pain to deal with.

On our trip in April, I carried a bunch of Smarties with me. I am an adult T1, without symptoms for low blood sugar until I get to about 32...then I start to lose my vision. My BG falls quickly so I planned on having an easily eaten snack in lines. I was able to dump smarties in my hand, slip my hand under my mask, dump the smartie and carry on. No cast member said anything to me. I used this system several times during the week.
Just what I was going to suggest.
I have seen people post on other forums and Facebook pages they did the same with no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter