• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS Wait Time Dilemma

Yep, I don't think that is unreasonable, but I also wouldn't be hanging around the attraction to see if the wait time dropped, just if I happened to notice and was right there, I probably would say something.

That being said, overall, I think the system works. Are there tweaks that could be made? Yes, but I don't think this is one of them. Now if there is a descrepency between say it claiming a 3 hour wait and the wait really only being 30 minutes, I could see some issues, otherwise, it is 15 minutes and really, you can still be doing other things during that 15 minutes.

In all honesty, how many of us that need the DAS tend to show up the second their return time hits for every attraction? There are times where I will, but that is really the exception and not the rule for me and I would tend to bet for most of us, especially those of us that may need to attend to whatever need causes us to need the DAS in the first place. So, really the reality is that this is a moot point, as you can come back anytime after the return time.

One MIGHT be able to make the argument that this is an issue for wheelchair return times where issued since they only have a one hour window to return within as the time window restriction limits what they could be doing while waiting, but someone with a DAS still wouldn't be given that anyway.
Someone with DAS may still have a wheelchair return time for a few attractions that have alternate entrance. Not many at WDW though. The one I’m thinking of is Spaceship Esrth, which at times gives out wheelchair return times.

Sorry this is a little off topic, but do they ever mind if you come back later than the return time?

Thank you
the Disney website page about DAS says “Return times are valid until redeemed prior to park closing.”

Someone with DAS may still have a wheelchair return time for a few attractions that have alternate entrance. Not many at WDW though. The one I’m thinking of is Spaceship Esrth, which at times gives out wheelchair return times.

the Disney website page about DAS says “Return times are valid until redeemed prior to park closing.”
Interesting, at Disneyland, if you have a DAS, you are given a DAS return time no matter what and if you have a DAS return time, you cannot get a wheelchair return time or another DAS return time at the same time.

Interesting, at Disneyland, if you have a DAS, you are given a DAS return time no matter what and if you have a DAS return time, you cannot get a wheelchair return time or another DAS return time at the same time.
Their is really not much advantage since thier are only 5 or so rides at the world that have alternative entrance in all of Disney world. And I think they still give out paper return time

We go annually to Disney since 2007. Every time we work on decreasing the times that my son, who is now 19, needs to use a DAS return. We use FPP and stand-by for most of the rides. Hopefully this will explain my question in the first post. My son once he tells me which attraction he wants to do next, I have to decide which method will work for him. Is it a short wait say 35 minutes or is there a FPP, then will go with either one. The DAS return sometimes means taking a gamble of having sit somewhere longer than if had done the first two choices. So, I don't think it's wrong if I ask a Cast Member the question " Do you think it's going to be that long of a wait"? If they tell me that is what is posted. Then if the first two ideas doesn't work. I'll get a DAS and if there is a significant time change, I'll have it adjusted.

We go annually to Disney since 2007. Every time we work on decreasing the times that my son, who is now 19, needs to use a DAS return. We use FPP and stand-by for most of the rides. Hopefully this will explain my question in the first post. My son once he tells me which attraction he wants to do next, I have to decide which method will work for him. Is it a short wait say 35 minutes or is there a FPP, then will go with either one. The DAS return sometimes means taking a gamble of having sit somewhere longer than if had done the first two choices. So, I don't think it's wrong if I ask a Cast Member the question " Do you think it's going to be that long of a wait"? If they tell me that is what is posted. Then if the first two ideas doesn't work. I'll get a DAS and if there is a significant time change, I'll have it adjusted.

Bolding mine.

It's a subtle form of intimidation, IMO.

As a few others have said, the purpose of the DAS return time isn't necessarily to jump the queue its to facilitate the ability to wait in a place that is more conducive to that particular persons disposition. The benefit is that you get to wait the same amount of time but do so away from the challenges that a regular line can pose to people in need of a DAS. It isn't a short cut of sorts, more so a way to make the wait more manageable.

This is the way we use it and how we view it and for that it hits the spot most of the time, perfect? definitely not, but as a line of best fit to accommodate as many people as possible I think it is pretty darn good!

As a few others have said, the purpose of the DAS return time isn't necessarily to jump the queue its to facilitate the ability to wait in a place that is more conducive to that particular persons disposition. The benefit is that you get to wait the same amount of time but do so away from the challenges that a regular line can pose to people in need of a DAS. It isn't a short cut of sorts, more so a way to make the wait more manageable.

This is the way we use it and how we view it and for that it hits the spot most of the time, perfect? definitely not, but as a line of best fit to accommodate as many people as possible I think it is pretty darn good!
Yep, as I said, tweaks could be made and probably even should be made, but overall it works.

Bolding mine.

It's a subtle form of intimidation, IMO.
I would disagree, even the cast members know that the wait times aren't always accurate, so politely asking if they think it is currently accurate is not a big deal. I even have asked how long they think the wait for the FP return line is, usually when I have an ADR that I think I might miss if I waited in line and there is nothing wrong with that.

How? Do you keep going back and checking if the current return time is earlier than yours?

There is a thread over on the trip board that say the posted wait was much shorter then the actual wait ( I think it was 30-60 minutes) so sometimes we wait less with the DAS

But the answer to that question is ALWAYS going to be "yes it is going to be that long" because 1) the CM cannot predict what is going to happen with the line at a given moment and has no way to intelligently speculate on it and 2) the DAS system spits out the time for them, so your "wait" is what it is. Showing them estimated waits from third party sites is not going to help, and attempting to get them to adjust your time to a sooner one because of something you saw on an unofficial (meaning non-Disney entity) website just comes across as attempting to manipulate the DAS process even if that ISN'T your intention.

But the answer to that question is ALWAYS going to be "yes it is going to be that long" because 1) the CM cannot predict what is going to happen with the line at a given moment and has no way to intelligently speculate on it and 2) the DAS system spits out the time for them, so your "wait" is what it is. Showing them estimated waits from third party sites is not going to help, and attempting to get them to adjust your time to a sooner one because of something you saw on an unofficial (meaning non-Disney entity) website just comes across as attempting to manipulate the DAS process even if that ISN'T your intention.
Look on contexts, this person doesnt ask the question to get a shorter return time, they ask to help determine if waiting in the standby line or getting a DAS return time is more appropriate at that moment for their needs, I really don't see anything wrong with politely checking and yes, it is a gamble either way, but it is what meets their needs.

Look on contexts, this person doesnt ask the question to get a shorter return time, they ask to help determine if waiting in the standby line or getting a DAS return time is more appropriate at that moment for their needs, I really don't see anything wrong with politely checking and yes, it is a gamble either way, but it is what meets their needs.

The initial question of this thread was whether wait times for DAS could be adjusted based on estimated waits that were appearing on non-disney websites. So my response is very much in context with the original and overarching question being asked in this thread.

And the OP clarified a few posts later that she wasn't going to ask for wait times based on non-disney apps.

To clarify, I wouldn't have asked for a wait time based on a third party app. However, I don't think it's wrong to ask for an adjustment to the DAS return if a minute later the wait time drops significantly and I'm still in the area.

OP, I understand, now, how you use FP+, standby and DAS to try to accommodate your son. Unfortunately, there is simply no way of knowing if the posted, estimated wait time is the actual standby time. It could be completely accurate. It could be shorter. It could be longer. There are so many variables at play at any given moment. I think the best you can do, given the way the DAS is designed, is to take the posted time as the estimate and make your determination from there. I, personally, have found third-party apps to not be so accurate as well. I think you will drive yourself bonkers if you try to game or second-guess the posted wait times too much. If I were you, I would use FP+, get in standby lines posted at 30 minutes or less and DAS everything else knowing you may need to find alternate activities during DAS wait times.

The OP could also stay at concierge level onsite and buy an extra 3 FP a day, right? That would take away a lot of the guesswork.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter