Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

The renters are David’s clients, not the owners’ clients. This is on him and he knows it as evidenced by the ridiculous new contract which totally absolves him of any responsibility at all. I’m curious, now that we’ve seen the contract @Dracula, if you will still rent out via David’s. Not being snarky, genuinely looking for your take.

Until owners receive direct payment from renters, renters will remain David’s clients.

I have received a credit on the account immediately after submitting the dispute online with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card.
We just did the same--do you still have the refund? Did they request any kind of other paperwork/verification from you? Any and all tips welcome.

We just did the same--do you still have the refund? Did they request any kind of other paperwork/verification from you? Any and all tips welcome.

I added the contract as additional information. Highlighted the lack of a force majeure clause. Also there was something in there about if no acclamations available a refund is due. I put that in there too.

Wow! Another, and likely final, blow to David's business. I can't see how any owner would still want to rent points through this broker with this clause in the contract. If something happens to the reservation through no fault of my own, I am still on the hook?! Not only that, I am potentially required to pay extra $$ out of pocket for "comparable" accommodation??? Is he out of his mind???

Gee, I would rather gift the points if I don't want to bother renting them out on my own. Unless other brokers take the same stance, stick a fork into David's Vacation Club Rentals!

LAX
Problem is alot of people do not read the fine print until there is a problem. Knowing that the new contract puts all of the liability on the owner including additional costs above and beyond what the renter was paying will make me never use Davids to rent my extra points.

Problem is alot of people do not read the fine print until there is a problem. Knowing that the new contract puts all of the liability on the owner including additional costs above and beyond what the renter was paying will make me never use Davids to rent my extra points.
This potential liability is not new, it’s why owners have been waiting for Disney to cancel.

What is new is the requirement for owners to pay back the monies if the reservation is cancelled by Disney. This will reduce the appeal of renting.

This potential liability is not new, it’s why owners have been waiting for Disney to cancel.

What is new is the requirement for owners to pay back the monies if the reservation is cancelled by Disney. This will reduce the appeal of renting.
That's interesting. I thought when I read a few thousand pages back that the new contract said that the renter would not get a refund if Disney cancelled. I thought they added pandemic to the reasons that the renter would not be compensated.

The only time the owner would be responsible is if they cancelled or were responsible for the reservation not being available.

Then again, it still seemed a little confusing when I read it.

Well, it turns out that potential liability is not new despite of prominent claims by the broker on its website otherwise. However, the new contract (at least the excerpt posted here) not only clearly dumps that liability onto the owners, it also ADDS that owners can be responsible for ADDITIONAL out of pocket cost for "comparable" accommodation to compensate the affected renters. That's not even factoring in that the owners may potentially get stuck with useless points.

The owners get to fork over $4-5 per point while taking on all these risks?? I just don't understand why anyone would knowingly do this.

LAX

Well, it turns out that potential liability is not new despite of prominent claims by the broker on its website otherwise. However, the new contract (at least the excerpt posted here) not only clearly dumps that liability onto the owners, it also ADDS that owners can be responsible for ADDITIONAL out of pocket cost for "comparable" accommodation to compensate the affected renters. That's not even factoring in that the owners may potentially get stuck with useless points.

The owners get to fork over $4-5 per point while taking on all these risks?? I just don't understand why anyone would knowingly do this.

LAX
I agree that was the point I was try to make in an earlier reply. A renter reading the new contract would be quite happy.

So how can a renter know for sure if Disney or the owner cancelled...

Honestly, it would probably difficult at this point. However, a call by a DVC owner asking when they are being canceled might be a clu.

But, Davids or a renter wouldn’t have any proof for sure and would not be able to get that information from DVC either about a specific reservation.

Does anyone else find it strange that David or his representative is not posting on here at all?

The only comments they post are on Facebook that say to contact the office.

They don't want to put anything in writing that could later be used against them. Smart legal move.

I agree that was the point I was try to make in an earlier reply. A renter reading the new contract would be quite happy.

I thought new renter contract said no refunds for pandemics, hurricanes, etc... Seems this clause pertains to if owner cancels??

So how can a renter know for sure if Disney or the owner cancelled...

I read on another thread that DVC members were having their reservations cancelled by DVC 5 days out from check-in. I can’t verify this obviously, but I can tell you that my May 10 check-in (via rented points) is still in my MDE. So if it disappears May 5, that rolling 5-day policy may be correct. And if your res disappears earlier than 5 days out, may be the member that cancelled it. But hard to know for sure.

I read on another thread that DVC members were having their reservations cancelled by DVC 5 days out from check-in. I can’t verify this obviously, but I can tell you that my May 10 check-in (via rented points) is still in my MDE. So if it disappears May 5, that rolling 5-day policy may be correct. And if your res disappears earlier than 5 days out, may be the member that cancelled it. But hard to know for sure.
So far I had a couple of reservations canceled by Disney exactly seven days before check-in. There is no cancellation message - just the reservation disappears from the DVC member’s online dashboard.

Maybe David's new business plan is to buy a bunch of DVC contracts in the next year or two during the recession. Otherwise, he is going to find DVC points much harder to come by to rent. While there are some people who don't read the fine prints, I imagine a fair number of owners would do a quick google search before putting hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of points for rent. Hopefully, they will end up finding warnings on sites such as this or other similar ones.

LAX

So far I had a couple of reservations canceled by Disney exactly seven days before check-in. There is no cancellation message - just the reservation disappears from the DVC member’s online dashboard.

Interesting. I’m 7 days out and my res is still there, so DVC is not totally consistent on this.

Interesting. I’m 7 days out and my res is still there, so DVC is not totally consistent on this.

Both of mine (split stay were gone over 18 days out) know one was cancelled by owner and have email from David's saying such. Presume other was but can't prove it.

Both of mine (split stay were gone over 18 days out) know one was cancelled by owner and have email from David's saying such. Presume other was but can't prove it.

I’m just curious - why would David’s confirm one cancellation for you and not the other? Or was the 2nd not through them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter