• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

I think the 25% finders fee for getting a renter is outrageous for the work and liability the owners accept with the new contracts and the lack of work on David's part.

I think everyone here is assuming that David's will be keeping the $3 per point. He could be asking for that in order to give the owner money for their time spent making any changes.

I have a question about upcoming stays. We rented points through David's. We still plan on going since it's in September. Yesterday I received an email stating there was a new reservation system and since I had tickets I would be priority. I'm wondering about the wording since it didn't say I had an onsite hotel stay. I'm just curious if our owner got an email about the stay. Have owners who are renting points received emails about onsite stays?

I think everyone here is assuming that David's will be keeping the $3 per point. He could be asking for that in order to give the owner money for their time spent making any changes.
I think you are giving him too much credit considering his recent actions

I think you’re assuming too much. The email you posted said:

A partial refund. There will be a restocking fee of $3.00 per point, which is used to cover the costs of the fees, workforce, and the use of our resources to advertise the reservation.​

Nothing mentioned about compensating the owner for their efforts. And IMO, David’s should be charging a flat fee for”restocking” given that it takes the same amount of effort to rebook a 50-point reservation as it does a 500-point reservation...and that fee should go directly to the owner who is the one actually putting in all of the effort.

I think you’re assuming too much. The email you posted said:
A partial refund. There will be a restocking fee of $3.00 per point, which is used to cover the costs of the fees, workforce, and the use of our resources to advertise the reservation.​

Nothing mentioned about compensating the owner for their efforts. And IMO, David’s should be charging a flat fee for”restocking” given that it takes the same amount of effort to rebook a 50-point reservation as it does a 500-point reservation...and that fee should go directly to the owner who is the one actually putting in all of the effort.

Very good point about the flat fee! I realize what it said in the email, but with the rate he has been making changes, he could still offer an owner money for their time. Probably giving him too much credit there as you and others have said though.

Just an FYI - There is no need to actually call MS and wait on hold to change the name on a reservation. This can easily be accomplished via an email. It might take a few days, but if the reservation isn't for a few months, this shouldn't be a problem. IMO, not wanting to call MS is not a good reason for refusing to help a renter in the situation @Dentam described..

I get why an owner may not want to accept the new owner's contract (if that's still a requirement). David may be willing to keep the original contract criteria for these situations. I'd ask and make the name change contingent on that.

Maybe if he offers you extra money you would be more amenable to using an hour of your time to help a renter out? Anyway, I'm hoping my owner will be open to helping.
For me as an owner it would not be the time. I would actually be happy to help. BUT I am terrified of the new contract. I have always used David. I have never rented on my own. I am sitting on about 300 Beach Club and Poly points I will need to rent in 2021–but I can’t do it with the new contract. I can’t risk actually losing the points and owing money for a new room too.

I have a question about upcoming stays. We rented points through David's. We still plan on going since it's in September. Yesterday I received an email stating there was a new reservation system and since I had tickets I would be priority. I'm wondering about the wording since it didn't say I had an onsite hotel stay. I'm just curious if our owner got an email about the stay. Have owners who are renting points received emails about onsite stays?

I got one for my own August stay. But I didn’t get a second one even though I have a rental during that same month.

For me as an owner it would not be the time. I would actually be happy to help. BUT I am terrified of the new contract. I have always used David. I have never rented on my own. I am sitting on about 300 Beach Club and Poly points I will need to rent in 2021–but I can’t do it with the new contract. I can’t risk actually losing the points and owing money for a new room too.

That is where I am at and why I said if I am contacted, the only option I am willing to do is agree to give up the rest of what I am owed so the renter has something, providing I am let out of the contract, can cancel, and walk away with what I was paid, and my points, including taking them back in holding status.

Now, I am not sure if the broker would take me up on this or even bring it back to the renter...but given resorts and parks will be open during the reservation, I think that is fair solution.

I am still hopeful though that the family I rented to will be going and this is all moot in my situation.

A lead name change on a reservation requires member services to do it. IF you can even get thru to member services by phone, there are reports of hold times of an hour or more. And it would have to be done when member services is open. Not every owner has that kind of time to waste.
Is there a reason this cannot be done by email?

Is there a reason this cannot be done by email?
Email can take anywhere from a single day to over a week for a response. It’s better than making multiple attempts to connect with MS by phone (for the owner) but David and his new renter would have to wait patiently for that change.

Email can take anywhere from a single day to over a week for a response. It’s better than making multiple attempts to connect with MS by phone (for the owner) but David and his new renter would have to wait patiently for that change.

Then they'll have to wait. Far better than being told the owner is unwilling to rebook a new renter because of the invalid excuse that an hour on hold with MS is too much work. Just send an email and when MS responds, they respond.

Then they'll have to wait. Far better than being told the owner is unwilling to rebook a new renter because of the invalid excuse that an hour on hold with MS is too much work. Just send an email and when MS responds, they respond.
I don’t find the “excuse” to be invalid. Not everyone likes to deal with email correspondence. Heck, a lot of owners couldn’t even tell you where to find the email link on the member website. When you ask someone for a favor, you don’t get to dictate how they accomplish it. If an owner doesn’t want to be bothered with changing names on a reservation they did for David’s, they don’t have to. It’s not in their intermediary agreement that they must.

I am outraged. I reached out to David’s in March and April asking to reschedule my Aulani trip for this June. I got the canned we will get to you email in March and nothing in April. This morning I receive an email from David’s that I can reschedule up until November 30th if the owner is willing. I gave alternative dates. I got an email back staying - oh sorry we sent that to you in error. Your reservation is for Aulani and you will only get the credit. I asked how can my contract be broken with me not getting a refund and they responded it is in my best interest to take the refund (3 party non-refundable, no modification or cancellation agreement). Really?! So not providing a room isn’t cancellation? I’ll continue my credit card dispute I started when I didn’t hear back in April.

I know that I can’t be on the phone at work for hours on end for personal business and I also don’t always have time to devout to trying to get ahold of a business before they close when I get home - there are times I work 12 hour days and have other duties I must address at home - so understanding that not everyone has the time to spend what could be hours to contact MS to do a favor that you more than likely are not getting paid for in my opinion is a bug request - I think Owners should be allowed to do the request any way they can IF they agree to do said request.

I hope you win !! My rental was in Aulani his response to me was they were to busy with WDW to address Aulani - they weren’t too busy to take my money !! I wish you the best of luck as Hawaii looks to remain on lockdown for some time to come
He never addressed me after his flat NO and never offered the voucher and as far as I know never responded to Chase

With all due respect, if resort is open...especially if the parks are too..then any action by the owner to refuse a change IS valid, including not wanting to change renters.

When resorts are closed, whole other ball game. Renters making a choice not to go when what they paid for is available, it’s on them and It’s unfair to criticize an owner who decides not to alter things.

I know that I can’t be on the phone at work for hours on end for personal business and I also don’t always have time to devout to trying to get ahold of a business before they close when I get home - there are times I work 12 hour days and have other duties I must address at home - so understanding that not everyone has the time to spend what could be hours to contact MS to do a favor that you more than likely are not getting paid for in my opinion is a bug request - I think Owners should be allowed to do the request any way they can IF they agree to do said request.

SO SEND MS AN EMAIL. It's 2020!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter