• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

With all due respect, if resort is open...especially if the parks are too..then any action by the owner to refuse a change IS valid, including not wanting to change renters.

When resorts are closed, whole other ball game. Renters making a choice not to go when what they paid for is available, it’s on them and It’s unfair to criticize an owner who decides not to alter things.

Absolutely. I was not arguing that owners should feel obligated make any changes when the resorts are open. I was addressing posts in which posters justified their unwillingness to make any changes based on the inconvenience of waiting on hold for MS for a long time, such as an hour.

In fact, no one needs to wait on hold for MS to make a change -- they can spend 5 minutes drafting and sending an email.

To which someone actually responded -- Oh I maybe I don't like email.

Give me a break!! We're all spending hours on these boards posting emailed comments!

I know when David’s sends request they have clearly stated in my email request to call MS - David’s does not want to wait days for Owners to take care of what they are requesting them to do - something that would need to be addressed with David

Absolutely. I was not arguing that owners should feel obligated make any changes when the resorts are open. I was addressing posts in which posters justified their unwillingness to make any changes based on the inconvenience of waiting on hold for MS for a long time, such as an hour.

In fact, no one needs to wait on hold for MS to make a change -- they can spend 5 minutes drafting and sending an email.

Give me a break!! We're all spending hours on these boards posting emailed comments!

I think it was your use of the term invalid for me. But, I get what you are saying. An owner who is comfortable doing it, definitely has an option other than a long hold as they can send an email and tell the renters and David’s it would take time!

But, any owners who simply say not interested in doing either doesn't have to justify or explain why.

These are message board comments, not emails.

Not everyone is comfortable using the email process. It’s not like composing an email from your gmail account. You have to be logged in to your online DVC account. You have to know where to look for the “Contact Us” link on the website. Then you can find the secure email page. Once there, you’re limited to the number of characters in the message. It’s more like emailing a business thru their contact page. And while millennials are at ease with this, there are older people who either don’t trust it or just feel more comfortable using the phone. I know a lot of owners who don’t use the website for anything.

For me as an owner it would not be the time. I would actually be happy to help. BUT I am terrified of the new contract. I have always used David. I have never rented on my own. I am sitting on about 300 Beach Club and Poly points I will need to rent in 2021–but I can’t do it with the new contract. I can’t risk actually losing the points and owing money for a new room too.
I wouldn't if I were you either, you can rent them with your own contract being specific there are no refunds. But this is also the exact reason I would never rent direct.

Email can take anywhere from a single day to over a week for a response. It’s better than making multiple attempts to connect with MS by phone (for the owner) but David and his new renter would have to wait patiently for that change.

My reservation is over 3 months from now, so waiting days or over a week should not be an issue for David's or the new renter, if he does find one.

These are message board comments, not emails.

I think he was referring to the emails from David's that have been copied and pasted into this thread, showing that the people commenting on this thread do in fact know how to and are comfortable using email to communicate with David's. Seems they would also be comfortable emailing MS then...

I know many of you are mad at David's and have your mind set that you will do nothing to help him out. So maybe don't think of it as helping him, think of it as helping a fellow Disney fan caught in the same crazy situation that everyone is in right now - dealing with a global pandemic that no one saw coming when we booked months ago.

Last edited:

My reservation is over 3 months from now, so waiting days or over a week should not be an issue for David's or the new renter, if he does find one.

I think he was referring to the emails from David's that have been copied and pasted into this thread, showing that the people commenting on this thread do in fact know how to and are comfortable using email to communicate with David's. Seems they would also be comfortable emailing MS then...

I know many of you are mad at David's and have your mind set that you will do nothing to help him out. So maybe don't think of it as helping him, think of it as helping a fellow Disney fan caught in the same crazy situation that everyone is in right now - dealing with a global pandemic that no one saw coming when we booked months ago.

Well, there are many renters out there whose owners offered to help them and David’s said no.

Again, I know you would love your owner to agree..and I hope you get that pixiedust,

But, you are one of the lucky ones that has gotten a response like you did,

My last thought is that I respect everyone has a different comfort level in terms of going to WDW during this time, but it still remains that a renter who doesn’t want to visit is the one defaulting and owners who choose to want the contracted honored...regardless the reason, including being unhappy with the broker,,,should be respected for that choice too

You have been clear that you get that and I certainly don’t blame any renter who asks. Worst case is you are told no!

For me as an owner it would not be the time. I would actually be happy to help. BUT I am terrified of the new contract. I have always used David. I have never rented on my own. I am sitting on about 300 Beach Club and Poly points I will need to rent in 2021–but I can’t do it with the new contract. I can’t risk actually losing the points and owing money for a new room too.
I think after this fiasco that owers who consistently have points year to year that they need to rent out will sell some of their contracts if they do have multiple contracts so they don't have to go thru this crap again.

I think he was referring to the emails from David's that have been copied and pasted into this thread, showing that the people commenting on this thread do in fact know how to and are comfortable using email to communicate with David's.

Why didn’t you quote me completely instead of snipping just one sentence? I explained why “emailing” member services is not like composing a gmail email. But you chose to ignore that part.

I hope your owner makes it all work out for you. It will take time. The owner has to agree to do it, first. Then David’s will need to list it as a confirmed reservation on their website. Then someone has to “purchase” that reservation. Then, and only then, will the owner need to change the names. Because, as you mentioned in a PP, until a new renter can be found, the reservation will remain in your name.

In the meantime, the phone lines, chat function and email responses for member services could improve drastically. Right now, they’re a mess.

Why didn’t you quote me completely instead of snipping just one sentence? I explained why “emailing” member services is not like composing a gmail email. But you chose to ignore that part.

I hope your owner makes it all work out for you. It will take time. The owner has to agree to do it, first. Then David’s will need to list it as a confirmed reservation on their website. Then someone has to “purchase” that reservation. Then, and only then, will the owner need to change the names. Because, as you mentioned in a PP, until a new renter can be found, the reservation will remain in your name.

In the meantime, the phone lines, chat function and email responses for member services could improve drastically. Right now, they’re a mess.

Not to mention, this new park reservation system. That is going to play a role in this broker finding renters right now..I think!

Reactions: cm8

It wasn't some sinister motive I had, jeez. It was the line that caught my eye and I was in a hurry. I'm done with this thread now unfortunately. There's a lot of bitterness here and lack of empathy for renters.

Take care, all!

It wasn't some sinister motive I had, jeez. It was the line that caught my eye and I was in a hurry. I'm done with this thread now unfortunately. There's a lot of bitterness here and lack of empathy for renters.

Take care, all!
And there’s a lack of understanding, or any desire to understand, on the part of some renters. When you lack background, you can’t comprehend why something that appears to be so simple is actually rather complicated. But if you would prefer to see what I’ve tried to explain about DVC as being anti-David’s or uncooperative and unsympathetic to renters, then that’s on you.

You’ve never tried to log onto the crappy DVC website only to get the dreaded 7 dwarfs “We’re working on it” screen...day after day for a week. Or made over 300 attempts to call member services before you got connected to an hour-long queue...and then got disconnected when a CM picked up. Or sent a message thru their secure email system without getting a response because somehow it disappeared into the ether.

But I still wish you success because I feel bad for anyone who is caught up in this mess. No one should feel compelled to vacation some place where they don’t think they will be safe. And it would suck to lose the money you spent renting thru David’s.

I do think if David's attempts to appease folks who don't wish to go that will hasten their demise... At that point they are just arbitrarily following a contract. Issuing vouchers for everyone and anyone undermines an already flawed idea... Disney lodging closed one situation. Lodging open was agreed to in contract. Not that I'm trying to get a voucher... We did chargeback since in April it was closed.

I do think if David's attempts to appease folks who don't wish to go that will hasten their demise... At that point they are just arbitrarily following a contract. Issuing vouchers for everyone and anyone undermines an already flawed idea... Disney lodging closed one situation. Lodging open was agreed to in contract. Not that I'm trying to get a voucher... We did chargeback since in April it was closed.
Totally agreed. They are opening Pandora’s box & setting a precedent that they will regret given how fast news travels... There was a thread here a year or so ago about David’s and a renter looking to get a refund- maybe his wife was expecting unexpectedly (something like that) and it got heated because changes/problems/aggro are not what owners sign up for and “pay” David’s for, & that was only one client...

I wonder if he is trying to be more flexible with renters due to the chargebacks... if he can keep $3 per point or delay people submitting for that by offering a voucher "if he can find a different renter" that would stave off some of his losses.

I thought about sending them an email when I saw a PP get that response for an autumn stay... but at this point I'm kind of intrigued to see what this park reservation system looks like. Part of me is now MORE interested in going to see how it shakes out. Honestly if I wasn't terrified of catching this virus I'd definitely be going just to experience it. My husband is still a solid no though, so I'm just delaying the inevitable. Our tickets expiration was pushed back to next year but we already have plans with our 10th wedding anniversary. Pushing it out to 2021 instead probably isn't going to be in the cards.

I wonder if he is trying to be more flexible with renters due to the chargebacks... if he can keep $3 per point or delay people submitting for that by offering a voucher "if he can find a different renter" that would stave off some of his losses.

That's my thinking too. He realizes that people aren't falling for the voucher and needs some other way to keep peoples cash. He has to get cash from someone else to be able to even pay you back at the reduced amount. I just don't see him sharing that $3 per point with the owner. I think he's losing too many clients on both sides.

A renter shouldn’t be able to win a chargeback when the parks and especially resort are open. Their only chance at getting money back would be some sort of insurance that allowed them to cancel, and that doesn’t hit David’s in the wallet so it shouldn’t motivate vouchers.

I think it’s some attempt at “following your heart” or whatever he said to owners but like pointed out, it just makes a lot of us uneasy because of his willingness to go off contract like that.

I will say, we gave opportunity for them to prevent our chargeback (closed resort not a future one) by refunding even just the portion they theoretically should have been holding, but they didn’t seem very interested so 🤷🏻‍♀️.

That's my thinking too. He realizes that people aren't falling for the voucher and needs some other way to keep peoples cash. He has to get cash from someone else to be able to even pay you back at the reduced amount. I just don't see him sharing that $3 per point with the owner. I think he's losing too many clients on both sides.
IMHO I get the feeling he values and needs to cater to the renters more that the owners since they are paying customers. He must feel there are always going to be owners willing to rent points to him instead of letting them expire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter