Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

No.

The owners name will be on the contract, however, depending on how common it is, you may be able to find contact information yourself.

Keep in mind that many owners use David’s to rent out points specifically because they do not have to deal with the renter directly and David’s does not encourage this. Any issues you may have should be directed to David’s.
Ya, well I'm an owner. I rescheduled for two different renters and David's has twice put my email (not BCC'd) to them in the new contract confirmation. I really didn't need one more reason to dislike David's...so sloppy!

Ya, well I'm an owner. I rescheduled for two different renters and David's has twice put my email (not BCC'd) to them in the new contract confirmation. I really didn't need one more reason to dislike David's...so sloppy!
I don’t think it’s sloppy at all. It’s by design.

David’s can provide whatever lip service they want, verbal or otherwise, that owners are “operating under the old agreement” but if the email clearly lays out that the new rental agreement with the renter, an email all owners will be copied on, that owners must make restitutions to the renter should things go south, David’s will have further evidence to provide the credit card company against any chargeback that they are off the hook.

Their piecemeal agreement situation with all these new rentals/rebookings sow enough doubt and confusion around liability that any owner should assume they are accepting far greater risks by rerenting.

As has been their practice in the past, David’s are continuing to bet that everything goes fine and none of this will matter, but this time they wised up and are no longer gambling with house money.

I don’t think it’s sloppy at all. It’s by design.

David’s can provide whatever lip service they want, verbal or otherwise, that owners are “operating under the old agreement” but if the email clearly lays out that the new rental agreement with the renter, an email all owners will be copied on, that owners must make restitutions to the renter should things go south, David’s will have further evidence to provide the credit card company against any chargeback that they are off the hook.

Their piecemeal agreement situation with all these new rentals/rebookings sow enough doubt and confusion around liability that any owner should assume they are accepting far greater risks by rerenting.

As has been their practice in the past, David’s are continuing to bet that everything goes fine and none of this will matter, but this time they wised up and are no longer gambling with house money.

House money is the only reason they exist... they survive at the rates they do because they acted as a pseudo travel insurance company... and for that service, their rates were justified. Without that service, they are now a matchmaking entity which most owners will not buy.

Had their own business insurance policy been robust they could have likely avoided this.

House money is the only reason they exist... they survive at the rates they do because they acted as a pseudo travel insurance company... and for that service, their rates were justified. Without that service, they are now a matchmaking entity which most owners will not buy.

Had their own business insurance policy been robust they could have likely avoided this.
How do you know they have not got some form of insurance policy ?

I got an initial refund of my money with my CC company back on May 1st for a canceled trip on April 18th-25th through David's. They asked for information up front and I pasted the portion of my original contract stating that I was entitled to a room and if I didn't received said room I was due a full refund. I also gave them all the information including the reservation info and they said they thought that was more than enough to win my dispute. It's now June 16th, the refunded money is still on my credit card (woe is me if one morning I come to check my bank account and see another 4500 dollar charge posted to my credit card) and no word back from my bank since then. They told me that if I was worried about the process not going through to just not spend the refund until end of May. I'm wondering if 45 days is enough at this point. I also never responded in any way to David's email asking me to accept the terms for a credit and that was not mentioned on my claim either.
I would save all of the correspondence and cancel that credit card so they can no longer go back and put the charge back on.

I would save all of the correspondence and cancel that credit card so they can no longer go back and put the charge back on.
Canceling credit cards hurt your score, and I have had this particular one for over 12 years so it's also a long running line of credit. I'm fine with waiting it out.

Canceling credit cards hurt your score, and I have had this particular one for over 12 years so it's also a long running line of credit. I'm fine with waiting it out.
The drop in your score is only temporary and it is based upon the percentage of available credit you are using. So if you keep you balances low or pay them off monthly you would see a very low drop if any at all in your score.

Since my husband and my children have high-risk health issues, we have pretty much decided, short of a miracle, that we are not going in November as well. I already reached out to David's to see if he was willing to contact the owner to ask if they were willing/able to do anything, while understanding that we were the ones cancelling, so we were not entitled to any accommodation. We just thought that if the owner was able to re-rent the points to someone who could use them, then it would be great if they didn't go to waste. David's refused to even ask the owner. So, just a head's up.
So, just an update on our situation... I contacted David's again and asked again if they would be willing to contact the owner and ask if anything can be done. They agreed to try to rent out our reservation -- which is a long shot, I know -- and offered either a voucher or a refund minus $3/pt if they are successful. I am satisfied. All I wanted was a chance to try to resolve this. If things don't work out, we're no worse off than we were before, and I appreciate David offering us options. I know he's been inconsistent, to say the least, but he just created some goodwill with us.

So, just an update on our situation... I contacted David's again and asked again if they would be willing to contact the owner and ask if anything can be done. They agreed to try to rent out our reservation -- which is a long shot, I know -- and offered either a voucher or a refund minus $3/pt if they are successful. I am satisfied. All I wanted was a chance to try to resolve this. If things don't work out, we're no worse off than we were before, and I appreciate David offering us options. I know he's been inconsistent, to say the least, but he just created some goodwill with us.

I'm wondering how many of these re-rentals are successful... if you can come back with an update if you hear anything I'd appreciate it! :)

I'm wondering how many of these re-rentals are successful... if you can come back with an update if you hear anything I'd appreciate it! :)
Have you seen all of the confirmed reservations that are available on David’s website? I’ve never seen so many! Lot of renters want to cancel. I don’t think they’re all going to sell. But the PP has a Thanksgiving reservation. That should help. I hope it works out for them.

Have you seen all of the confirmed reservations that are available on David’s website? I’ve never seen so many! Lot of renters want to cancel. I don’t think they’re all going to sell. But the PP has a Thanksgiving reservation. That should help. I hope it works out for them.

I’m curious too. David’s contacted me a couple of weeks ago to say that my October renter doesn’t want to travel (not surprised) and asked if I would consider re-renting for the $1 per point inconvenience fee. After several email exchanges to confirm that I’ll still get my 30% no matter what and that original contract terms still apply for me, I said yes.

Now it‘s been a few weeks and I’m still not seeing my reservation listed on his website. Maybe they forgot to post it? It’s really not my problem to follow up, but I’m sure the renter might be bummed that it’s not even being advertised. I may end up sending an email... but really!

Last edited:
I think he’s past Pandora’s box and his house if cards will crush him soon it’s beyond a hot mess
Too many people impacted when hotels were closed now a crush of people not wanting to go and him hurting his business by treating everyone so horribly

I was able to re-rent my reservation (thanks also to a great owner for being flexible). We took the $3 restocking fee deduction just to cut our losses. Our reservation was over Thanksgiving.

No one is going to rent those reservations at those prices. Thinking they will is absurd and a waste of time and labor on Davids part.

Its quite surprising to me how many places are not dropping their prices right now.
The only way that David’s can drop the price would be either if the owner agrees to cede part of what they originally agreed to accept (remember, David’s has already offered some owners an additional $1/pt to re-rent the reservation) OR David’s reduces their $4.50/pt profit from the rental.

No one is going to rent those reservations at those prices. Thinking they will is absurd and a waste of time and labor on Davids part.

Its quite surprising to me how many places are not dropping their prices right now.

I don’t know, they might go quickly if the rumours are true and DVC is nearly the only thing open, and especially if Disney doesn’t allow people to book new reservations. I wonder if they get snatched up when (if) it becomes official that other resorts are not opening come July 11.

Might be an odd turn of events that allows rental companies to live another day despite how turned off so many of us are by them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter