Day 4 - Our Southern California Trip (Huntington Beach, GC Hotel, Goofy's Kitchen)

jabead

DIS Veteran
Cast - DH, 3 kids (ages 6, 9, 12), and myself

Dates - June 21 - July 3, 2002

Day 4 (6/24) - We got up early and had breakfast in the concierge lounge (the usual continental) before crossing the street (easily done at the pedestrian crossing) to the beach. It was pretty quiet here on a Monday morning. Other than a group of junior lifeguards in training (which we enjoyed watching) and a few joggers we pretty much had the area to ourselves. The water was too cold for swimming (IMHO) but the kids still enjoyed playing in the waves and building a sand castle. We spent the rest of the morning here and returned to our room at around noon (we'd requested and were granted a late check-out at 1:00)to pack up and check out. We were hungry but anxious to get to Disney so went through a McDonald's drive-thru that was close to the Hilton. We then drove on to Disney arriving at our hotel (the Grand Californian) in about 20 - 30 minutes. At the hotel security gate we were thoroughly checked, showing our reservation form as well as driver's license. My husband then let us off (and our luggage) at the door and parked the car himself. It was around 2:00 (before their check-in time) but our standard room was ready for us. I had gotten an Annual Passholder rate of $149, which I thought was a terrific deal! I had a voucher for a Deluxe Annual Pass which I had gotten at a Disney Store but didn't yet have my actual pass (with my picture). They didn't ask to see anything though so that saved me a trip into the park. Our room was on the 3rd floor with a lovely view of the roof (LOL!). but we didn't care since the room itself was beautiful and we didn't plan to spend any time on our balcony anyway (too many other things to see and do there). Our room had bunk beds with a trundle bed underneath the bottom bunk for our 3 kids and a queen size bed for DH and me. The bunk beds were beautiful and the kids loved them. They had had bunk beds when we stayed at the AKL at Disneyworld so were very excited to again have them. Speaking of AKL, this hotel (same designers) is very similar and equally as beautiful. I really loved this hotel, it was both beautiful and extremely convenient. We have stayed at most of the Deluxe hotels at Disneyworld (Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, AKL, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, and Dolphin) and it is definitely among our favorites. Anyway after doing some unpacking (we would be here for 4 nights) we walked through Downtown Disney which was right next to our hotel). IMHO this Downtown Disney is much nicer than that at WDW. We walked all the way (which really isn't that far) to the Disneyland hotel and looked around there. Other than the pool (which looked better than that at the GC), we weren't very impressed with it. We did run into Goofy walking around all by himself so the kids enjoyed "goofing" around with him and we took a couple of pics. Then we went back to our room to change for our 2nd surprise of the trip - dinner at Goofy's Kitchen. We found that Goofy's Kitchen was similar to Chef Mickey's at Disneyworld. One thing different was that before being seated at our table we had to stop by the cashier's desk and pay for our meal in full ($26.95 adults, $9.95 kids plus tax and 15% gratuity). With a 10% Disney Club discount our bill for family of 5 was $94.71. I can't remember for sure, but that seems to be more than what we paid at Chef Mickey's last year. As we had heard, there were more characters here than at any of the many character meals we had done at WDW. I think I counted 7 - Goofy (of course), Minnie, Chip & Dale (they are everywhere here, just like at WDW), Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Pluto in the waiting area (where you could have your picture taken and purchase it). The character interaction was good, especially enjoyed our two visits with Snow White (she was a perfect Snow White, best we have ever seen). The food (served buffet style) was just okay. The kids hated the mashed potatoes (usually one of their favorite foods) because there were HUGE lumps in them - LOL! The desserts (and there were many to choose from) that we tried were all very good so that part of the meal was a hit. We were surprised that there were lots of empty tables at this very popular restaurant. We were there on a Monday evening though, so maybe breakfasts there are more crowded. We were visited at our table by all of the characters (at least once) except for Goofy. He had almost reached our table once when they started the dance thing that the characters do in the middle of the restaurant. Afterwards he went to a different room. So we had to track him down for a quick pic as we were leaving the restaurant. So overall our experience here was just okay - enjoyed the number and variety of characters but thought the food (except for the desserts) was not worth the $$$. After dinner we returned to our room and went to bed. Tomorrow will be our 1st of 4 days at the parks!!!

Sorry to hear you weren't that pleased with your dinner - I had dinner here last August and enjoyed it - thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter