Day 9,10 - Our Southern California Trip (Lake Arrowhead,Wizardz)

jabead

DIS Veteran
Cast - DH, 3 kids (ages 6, 9, 12), and myself

Dates - June 21 - July 3, 2002

Day 9 (6/29) - Had the complimentary breakfast at our hotel this morning (Homewood Suites, Garden Grove) which had the usual continental breakfast items plus some hot items like scrambled eggs and sausage links. We then checked out and headed to Redlands to visit SIL and her family for the weekend. After relaxing and talking for awhile at their house we decided to drive up into the mountains around Lake Arrowhead for a late lunch. They took us to a local malt shop (I think it was in Lake Arrowhead village but I don't recall the name of it). We all had burgers, fries, and milkshakes and it was all very good. We then drove to a hiking trail and did some hiking which was lots of fun with our large group of 9. The kids found lots of huge pine cones (at least 10 times the size of the usual pine cones) and DS wanted to take one home. Luckily I persuaded him that we just didn't have enough room in our luggage for it, LOL! I was sad to see how dry the area was. I wish we could have sent them some of the abundance of rain that we here in the Midwest received in May. Anyway by the time we returned to their home there was only time for a late dinner, a short time in their hot tub, and then off to bed.

Day 10 (6/30) - Today was Sunday so we attended church service with SIL and family, then had lunch with them at their house. At around 4:00 (an hour later than I'd hoped) we left Redlands and drove to Universal City. This took at least 1 1/2 hrs. on a Sunday afternoon. By the time we got to our hotel (the Hilton right by Univeral Studios), parked, checked-in, and unloaded our luggage it was almost 6:00 and we had a reservation for the 6:30 dinner show at Wizardz (the last surprise). We found out that we had just missed the shuttle to Univ Studios (there would not be another for at least 10 min.) so decided to walk. It turned out to be a very short walk so we ended up never using the shuttle service. Anyway we found Wizardz in the Universal CityWalk area and checked-in at about 6:15. They began seating people within a minute or two. The food was very good here. The adults had a choice of steak or chicken. DH ordered the steak (despite previous warning - see Day 2 of our trip) and I got the chicken. My chicken was very good and I tasted his steak and it was pretty good as well. The show here was very entertaining with three segments (entertainers). I've been to some Las Vegas shows and the quality of the performances here were equal to those. Also this was cheaper than the Las Vegas shows and you got a very good dinner instead of the two drinks that I've gotten in Las Vegas, LOL! Anyway we all enjoyed this final surprise very much (although the kids' favorite was still Lilo & Stitch at the El Capitan and mine was the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet). After the show we looked around the Wizardz store and DDs bought some tarot cards (which are too complicated for any of us to figure out, LOL!) We looked around CityWalk a little more (however it was extremely crowded on this Sunday evening) but then walked back to our room and went to bed. Tomorrow is our day at Universal Studios!!!

<font color=navy>Thank you again, for a great report.

Those huge cones are called "Coulter Pinecones" - I have some in a basket at my home. We've also found cougar and bear tracks when hiking up there.

Wizardz is another show that we would like to try out someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter