• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL Disney Magic At Sea UK Residents Only Sailing Summer 2021 General Information

I’m a first timer and have chosen to use a Dreams agent. She already has my requests but I’m questioning my choice.
I‘ve requested a veranda room but not a solid white wall or navigator veranda, I want to be able see the horizon when I’m sitting down.
I‘m now wondering if an ocean view cabin would suit me? Are all the ocean view cabin portholes large and at a good height or could I end up with an obstructed view? My parents took a cruise once (not DCL) in a porthole cabin but had to stand on a chair to see anything as it was so high, they’ve paid for a veranda ever since!
I definitely want midship as motion sickness is a big concern for me and I know that lower in the ship will have less motion which his why I’m now considering the ocean view staterooms.
I’m also concerned that the veranda cabins are likely to be the most popular and want to be prepared in case they’re sold out.
TIA

I am helping family in the UK with all the ins and outs of these sailings (2 adults - CC Silver) - edited to add I'm not a travel agent, just have more experience than them with DCL. When first announced it was a big plus for them that Tilbury was one of the departure ports (35 mins from them). It's disappointing that it looks like dates and departure ports are changing but I agree with other posters that this is probably due to restrictions that are just now being found out. Oh well, we shall see what Monday brings if nothing is put out by DCL earlier. I have also priced the Virgin Staycation cruises out of Portsmouth. Those begin in August, follow the same 3 and 4 night format, and pricing is already available online. I had priced them vs DCL last year when the Scarlet Lady was going to sail out of the US. They were higher than DCL then (and are adult only, so not an option for a lot of typical DCL cruisers,) Their price includes all tips and wifi . I figured it was a good start to see where DCL match up when/if pricing does eventually become available.

I think this might be a good comparison. The pricing for Virgin Voyages Staycations has actually been very low compared to what I expected based on the US cruise prices they originally advertised. Their prices also include free soft drinks which I know Disney partially does too. They also aren't selling inside rooms whereas Disney's original announcement suggested they were selling all rooms. We have a room booked on them and on Princess and the prices were only £300 different which surprised me (we are booked in suites on both as thought we would splurge to celebrate our belated missed lock down birthdays). I feel Disney will fall in the Virgin price range.

I'm seeing rumours that these are the new dates, as soon as the official DCL is updated, I will post links and full information

Liverpool Dates:

2 nights: 13th & 18th July
3 nights: 15th, 20th, 27th, 30th July
4 nights: 23rd July

Southampton Dates:

2 Nights: 4th, 16th, 18th, 30th August & 1st September
3 Nights: 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th August
4 Nights: 9th & 23rd August

All the new dates are pretty much within the UK 6 week summer holiday too 🤔

Given that we are in times of Civid startup, and by what virgin voyages have just done - it may be that inside cabins aren't available anyway. Virgin voyages are only selling cabins with verandahs for thier UK summer soiree cruises.

All this talk about categories and rooms may have been pointless... it seems everyone here is getting themselves whipped up into a frenzy over Internet speculation. Disney may be partly to blame for not coming out with more solid information, but also a lot of "I heard"... "my TA said"... nobody knows - clearly!

Let's just wait and see what comes Monday.... everyone has made it through the last year at home, a couple of days to wait for a vacation is fine... no use getting over exerted. If you can't get a place on a DCL cruise or don't like the way they reward loyalty or any of the ways they operate - try centre parks, try another cruise, try a staycation somewhere else. Just relax and enjoy every part of your holiday - even booking it! You've earned it!

Also remember everything every past cruiser has said could go put the window. Meet and greets for sure won't be the regular. Currently most hotels workd-wide require you to book everything from pool time/sauna time/kids clubs/tables for dining (think lunch).... this could be a very different experience to what anyone has experienced before. It's kind of an opportunity to restart with a clean sheet - or practice some new ways of doing things for the new ships. Whilst these are dressed up as staycations... I imagine they are really test cruises (that we are paying to be on) so cruise lines cam prove to the CDC in the US they can operate efficiently during these times - and get back to thier main bread and butter routes and incomes.

ok, before a new day begins and after catching up the comments, I'm going to share my first time cruiser story.

I am from Ireland and I never knew Disney had cruise ships or that they sailed in Europe before I joined Disboards. The only Disney marketing I had ever seen were for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris. I only knew about Disneyland California due to friends who lived in California.

I was never interested in taking a cruise holiday, as cruise marketing in Ireland is mainly aimed at the over 50's. The only people I knew who had been on a cruise holiday were my aunts and uncles and my parents friends. I had watched The Cruise TV series with Jane Macdonald and that and re runs of The Love Boat, just put an image in my head that cruising was not a holiday type for me.

Anyways I came to Disboards and suddenly found Disney Cruise Line and cruising holidays that were very different to the image of cruising marketed in Ireland.

It took me about a year of reading Disboards cruise section before I finally booked my first cruise.

I followed the new cruise releases and learnt about dynamic pricing.
I decided that it would be a European cruise that I would book, that way I could have a cheap flight and put more money into my cruise budget.
I researched DCL summer season and found out that its half Mediterranean, half North Europe, May to September.
I knew September would be the best month for me to cruise due to my work schedule.
So for a year I started following September DCL sailings, and reading the trip reports.
From the trip reports I learned about the various types of rooms.
I knew that my budget would be for an inside room.
I read about peoples experiences in different parts of the ship.
I checked out different room reviews on Disboards WDW Info
I found a range of staterooms that suited me best and used the deck plans on Disney Cruise Line Website to get the numbers of these rooms.
I watched YouTube Cruise Reports , which showed what the rooms were like.
I found out about Dreams Unlimited and how they give onboard credit to people who book with them.
I went to my local high street Travel Agent and asked about booking Disney Cruises. They were surprised that I knew about them, and said yes they can book for me, but the only info they knew about them they read to me from a brochure they took off the shelf. They had never booked a Disney cruise for any customer and did not give any onboard credit.

In March / April 2019 I followed the summer releases and picked out the cruise I wanted but I didn't book anything. I went on my annual trip to Disneyland California at the end of June, start of July. When I came home, I just made the decision to finally book the cruise, that I had put it off long enough.

I booked my first cruise in July 2019 with Dreams Unlimited. When I booked I gave them the specific stateroom room numbers I wanted and said that any of these rooms were my preferred choice. I told them I wanted main dining, no insurance and no transfers. I booked a 5 night Western Europe cruise for September 2020, which was supposed to call at Bruges, Amsterdam and Le Harve.

Between July 2019 and March 2020 I immersed myself in cruise planning and created a pre cruise thread here on Disboards which you can read here Disney Magic 5 Night Western Europe From Dover 13 September 2020

This cruise was eventually cancelled in June 2020 and I received the 125% Future Cruise Credit which is DCL's policy during Covid when they cancel cruises.

Once I knew that my cruise would more than likely be cancelled I started looking at the September 2021 cruises.
I picked the 7 Night Norwegian Fjords Cruise for September 2021. Dreams Unlimited were amazing sorting out my cancelled cruise and rebooking the new cruise. I told them that if possible I wanted the exact same room room and main dining, the same as my previous booking.

And then the cruise planning started again, and I started a new cruise planning thread here on Disboards Disney Magic 7 Night Norwegian Fjords from Dover September 4th 2021

And then a few weeks ago, my September 2021 cruise was cancelled. The whole process all over again, and now I have rebooked for the September 2022 Norwegian Fjords cruise.

I know this is a bit long winded, but it might help to ease the panic of first time cruisers for these Disney Magic At Sea cruises.

You have a few days to research, you can specify the exact stateroom you want to book,, you can watch YouTube videos of the room and you can watch YouTube videos of the ship and see just how different the Disney Cruise Experience is from other cruise lines.

Last edited:

Same

never had anything Castaway Club related emailed to me
Same

never had anything Castaway Club related emailed to me
I have to agree that I have never had a CC email in 20 years of cruising with DCL. However, I have just checked my personal details on the CC forum to make sure everything is correct - fingers crossed!

And living in Northern Ireland (obviously part of the UK), I have no doubt that this will cause issues during booking, as, in my experience, Americans believe that the UK consists of "England" and nowhere else.

And living in Northern Ireland (obviously part of the UK), I have no doubt that this will cause issues during booking, as, in my experience, Americans believe that the UK consists of "England" and nowhere else.

I feel your pain, I have issues trying to book LA museum tickets online, as the online booking form is not set up for international addresses .

I'm sure though, your Postcode will be recognised as a UK Postcode

Given that we are in times of Civid startup, and by what virgin voyages have just done - it may be that inside cabins aren't available anyway. Virgin voyages are only selling cabins with verandahs for thier UK summer soiree cruises.

All the cruises in the UK I've looked at seem to only have balcony/verrandah rooms, so that may be the easiest way to limit numbers. Those Virgin Voyages cruises look pretty nice, it would be the perfect situation for me if the cruise prices for DCL were around that price (£499 pp 3 night and £599 pp 4 night), can't wait to see on Monday.

All the cruises in the UK I've looked at seem to only have balcony/verrandah rooms, so that may be the easiest way to limit numbers. Those Virgin Voyages cruises look pretty nice, it would be the perfect situation for me if the cruise prices for DCL were around that price (£499 pp 3 night and £599 pp 4 night), can't wait to see on Monday.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if those were the prices. I hope you're right.
I think Virgin is 18+, which is a shame.

Just a heads up for anyone who is waiting for an email based on information from
Just phoned Disney Cruise and no update on what we already know. Same advice to keep watching for an update on the DCL website and Castaway Club members will receive an email shortly, advising them of advance booking dates.

DCL seem to working on Florida time which is 5 hours behind UK time. They seem to be working on standard business hours of 9am to 5pm Florida time. So that means its only 5.15am in Florida right now. When I have received emails from DCL about my cancelled cruises it has been around 5pm UK which is mid day Florida time.

I'm intrigued to try virgin - the food looks amazing and so does the spa.... not sure I'm taken with the entertainment or pool space though

I think all if not most of the Staycations on other cruise lines have only done verandah rooms. Princess and Virgin definitely have as I'm booked on those two.

I feel like Disney will be higher than this

I'd be pleasantly surprised if those were the prices. I hope you're right.
I think Virgin is 18+, which is a shame.

Yes its 18+ and also full vaccination required so you need to have had both doses of vaccine as well for the Staycations

One can hope! If DCL is similar to the £1,200 for a 4 night cruise on Virgin, I will be jumping for joy! Sadly though, expecting the prices to be more like £1,500 - £2,000 per stateroom.

I agree I think it will be closer to the £1500 and above mark

I'm intrigued to try virgin - the food looks amazing and so does the spa.... not sure I'm taken with the entertainment or pool space though

I am not sure about the ship itself. I think it seems very trendy but probably not me or my parents who are travelling (65 and 72) but we wanted something to try and it will be a laugh.

I’m a first timer and have chosen to use a Dreams agent. She already has my requests but I’m questioning my choice.
I‘ve requested a veranda room but not a solid white wall or navigator veranda, I want to be able see the horizon when I’m sitting down.
I‘m now wondering if an ocean view cabin would suit me? Are all the ocean view cabin portholes large and at a good height or could I end up with an obstructed view? My parents took a cruise once (not DCL) in a porthole cabin but had to stand on a chair to see anything as it was so high, they’ve paid for a veranda ever since!
I definitely want midship as motion sickness is a big concern for me and I know that lower in the ship will have less motion which his why I’m now considering the ocean view staterooms.
I’m also concerned that the veranda cabins are likely to be the most popular and want to be prepared in case they’re sold out.
TIA
Oceanview rooms--only deck 1 has 2 small portholes, the rest have a large porthole...so I'd stay away from deck 1. Category 9C (deck 2 forward/aft) porthole is a little smaller than categories 9A and 9B, but not enough to make a difference. We were pleasantly surprised at how large the porthole was in our deck 2 room! We love the deck 2 (category 9C) rooms! We tend to stay in the aft elevator area. The only rooms with obstructed views are the "secret porthole rooms"...they are actually classified as deluxe inside rooms because the view is obstructed, so you have no chance of getting those rooms if you're booking oceanview.

pics from 2116 oceanview on our Alaska cruise on the Wonder (twin ship to the Magic):sDSCN5492_hq.JPG

DSCN0241.JPG

Oceanview rooms--only deck 1 has 2 small portholes, the rest have a large porthole...so I'd stay away from deck 1. Category 9C (deck 2 forward/aft) porthole is a little smaller than categories 9A and 9B, but not enough to make a difference. We were pleasantly surprised at how large the porthole was in our deck 2 room! We love the deck 2 (category 9C) rooms! We tend to stay in the aft elevator area. The only rooms with obstructed views are the "secret porthole rooms"...they are actually classified as deluxe inside rooms because the view is obstructed, so you have no chance of getting those rooms if you're booking oceanview.

pics from 2116 oceanview on our Alaska cruise on the Wonder (twin ship to the Magic):View attachment 568532

View attachment 568535
Hi Geomom,
Thank you so much, that’s exactly the information I was looking for!
😃
I never really considered a cruise before but I’ve heard such great things from the Dis podcasts and other vloggers over the years that I thought this was an opportunity not to be missed. Little did I know how complex it could be!!

If DCL only sells verandah cabins then the pic below will not be relevant to these cruises but wanted to compare with the above pics of the Deck 2 oceanview cabins that show 1 large porthole.

Deck 1 oceanview cabins on the Magic/Wonder have 2 smaller portholes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter