DCL Has Their Protocol Out!!!

Yep, that's where the "Yikes" comes from! I sail with my son who is under 18, so I'd be alone, but I might do it, anyway. Guaranteed tile lounger for as long as I want, guaranteed space in the hot tub... It actually sounds better the more I think about it.

The last time I went to the RR, a woman got nasty with me over a tile lounger & it really spoiled the mood. It was so crowded, too- just wasn't relaxing. This will give me a chance to use it in peace.

I feel pretty much the same as you. I love the loungers and was looking forward to them. It will just be me and my DD who is 17. I will be celebrating my 50th birthday when we go in October so I might spring for it.

They wouldn't know a US passport holder just returned from an international trip because you don't have to show a passport to board.

Is this for all cruises leaving US?

As a Canadian, we've always used our Passport (or Nexus) so not aware of this.

Yes, like the UK cruises. With the exception of skipping the testing for vaccinated guests, their protocols are VERY similar to the WDW protocols last year before there was even a vaccine. Other cruise lines are finding ways to solve this. DCL seems to be stuck in the mud. They are trying to serve families with kids under 12 who can't be vaccinated, but how? By having no nursery and limiting Oceaneer's Lab and Club to one slot per day? For that (which is already a deal breaker for many families with small children) they are taking away a lot of the joy of cruising of the rest of their guests. Other cruise lines are sailing right now with different protocols for unvaccinated guests vs vaccinated. Why won't DCL?

Yes, there are UK people with B2B cruises booked on The Magic. As yet there have been no updates or VLogs about what the procedures are.
There’s been updates in social media groups. In Liverpool, at least, they’re asking people to go to O’Gills and testing them for the next sailing there without having to leave the ship.

That might be less of an issue in the U.S., where vaccines have been available to all adults for longer than in the U.K.
The Delta variant doesnt really care for being fully vaccinated ;) (I am not from the UK, by the way. Other side of the North Sea).

But if it is not for the safety of the actors it will be to be on one line with passengers. When you see two characters meeting in Paris, but I think I also saw it on cruise videos, they meet at a socially distance from each other. It is hard to explain why the 'I Have a Dream' song/dance from Tangled is okay for unmasked people, who roam around the ship rest of the day, in comparison to an easier adaptable show like Dreams.

Last edited:
Other cruise lines are sailing right now with different protocols for unvaccinated guests vs vaccinated. Why won't DCL?
DCL does have different testing and insurance protocols for vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. Onboard, there isn't much point in DCL doing that as most of their unvaccinated (children) have no access to the vaccine at this point, while most of their parents are vaccinated, and they're not going to split families up. They can't say only the vaccinated kids can use the kids club, for example, because no kids can be vaccinated yet. So they ration its use. Logical. And parents who can't abide the current restrictions on clubs & lack of nursery won't sail, which will reduce the percent of unvaccinated (children) onboard & help DCL.

They wouldn't know a US passport holder just returned from an international trip because you don't have to show a passport to board.

That's true, I totally forgot about the US accepting birth certificates to travel.

I hope that it will be cleared up before I need to travel. It will change my travel plans if I need a test. Because if that is the case I would do the cruise first and WDW after, so that I can use the same test for US entry (3 days old at the most) and for the cruise (5 days old test).

Also for b2b cruises would somebody who went to the Bahamas also need a test then? Because the have just returned to US?

Ohh, the more I think about it, the more questions I have.

Yes, like the UK cruises. With the exception of skipping the testing, their protocols are VERY similar to the WDW protocols last year before there was even a vaccine. Other cruise lines are finding ways to solve this. DCL seems to be stuck in the mud. They are trying to serve families with kids under 12 who can't be vaccinated, but how? By having no nursery and limiting Oceaneer's Lab and Club to one slot per day? For that (which is already a deal breaker for many families with small children) they are taking away a lot of the joy of cruising of the rest of their guests. Other cruise lines are sailing right now with different protocols for unvaccinated guests vs vaccinated. Why won't DCL?
What DCl doing is very similar to MSC and they’ve been successfully sailing for a year. The only difference is everyone gets a rapid test before sailing and msc pays for it. Unvaccinated have to have a Covid test 72 hours before which is more costly with the short turn around time. The 5 days is much easier.

To anyone that’s interested you probably could do it much cheaper than the 98.00 dollars. Most of my free weekly Covid tests I have had come back in 24 hours and this was through CVS.

There is a place near WDW that does same day PCR results, but they charge 279. They have a 24 hour turn around for around 150. It might be worth looking into if you are visiting WDW before the cruise.

Yes, like the UK cruises. With the exception of skipping the testing for vaccinated guests, their protocols are VERY similar to the WDW protocols last year before there was even a vaccine. Other cruise lines are finding ways to solve this. DCL seems to be stuck in the mud. They are trying to serve families with kids under 12 who can't be vaccinated, but how? By having no nursery and limiting Oceaneer's Lab and Club to one slot per day? For that (which is already a deal breaker for many families with small children) they are taking away a lot of the joy of cruising of the rest of their guests. Other cruise lines are sailing right now with different protocols for unvaccinated guests vs vaccinated. Why won't DCL?

Although I wasn't really surprised at what the protocols are, I tend to agree with you.

They're trying to offer everyone something, but ending up not making anyone happy. But as I see it, it would be more problematic for those with children under 12 and unvaccinated people. So, if I was in that situation, I would definitely cancel.

But as a vaccinated family, we're definitely considering it even with the protocols since the only dealbreaker for us is the testing for vaccinated guests (Canadian) and the chance for an outbreak on the ship since there'll be unvaccinated guests. This won't be answered now since it's still early, but by our Dec cruise, we hope to know more in order to make a decision.

But like I said, from my perspective, the restrictions for unvaccinated would be a larger issue than the protocols for everyone...ie. masks etc. It just depends on what people are willing to live with and DCL knows that.

In order for DCL to sail, this is what they need to do. Obviously, it will change as things evolve, but in the beginning there will be restrictions that some people won't accept.

Unpopular opinion. I did the Rainforest Shower experience during our 2015 cruise and thought it was way overhyped! I could change the setting on my shower head and put several drops of a different essential oil under the spray and have about the same experience!
I really enjoyed it until they raised the prices. We didn't miss it on our last cruise in '19. We have such a large cruise credit that we had hoped to buy the length of cruise pass for the rainforest room but now it's limited to private groups so that's out now.

Unpopular opinion. I did the Rainforest Shower experience during our 2015 cruise and thought it was way overhyped! I could change the setting on my shower head and put several drops of a different essential oil under the spray and have about the same experience!
Including a heated tile lounger, sauna and a hot tub with a view out to sea?

so other than the vaccination requirements its really the same as the UK cruises. People need to watch the UK Vlogs, a lot of the questions I see asked in this thread are answered in the Vlogs

I am updating this thread every day as new UK Vlogs come out Currently there are Vlogs from the two test cruises and the first two Liverpool cruises. They show everything from the welcome onboard announcement and new muster drill procedures, to the shows, the MDR's , Palo Brunch, the kids clubs, virtual queues , character meets, shopping and so much more. They show all the QR codes in the restaurants and bars, the games and trivia, Cabanas breakfast and lunch and MRD breakfast and lunch.

After seeing your vlogs I would totally cruise with the restrictions(not kids just Dad and I)

I have reasons for not going till August 26th, 2022 and August 29th, 2022 3 night and 4 night back-2-back but that's another story

Is this for all cruises leaving US?

As a Canadian, we've always used our Passport (or Nexus) so not aware of this.
US residents on a closed-loop cruise departing and returning to the same US port can usually cruise with just a birth certificate (plus a driver's license/ID for 16+) -- unless a passport is required of US residents by a specific port. However I don't believe DCL uses any of those ports.

What are the protocols for the teen clubs?

The teen clubs can come and go as they like, its just Oceaneer Club and Oceaneer Lab that need booking

Currently on The Disney Magic UK

To help manage capacity, parents must register their children for Disney’s Oceaneer Club and Disney’s Oceaneer Lab during the Online Check-In process and then, prior to setting sail, reserve specific session times online or via the Disney Cruise Navigator app. Guests can book one session per day on a first-come, first-served basis: a 1.5 hour-long session on Embarkation Day; and a 2.5 hour-long session during days at sea. Children will receive their youth activities wristband at the cruise terminal, which grants them access to both Disney’s Oceaneer Lab and Disney’s Oceaneer Club.
Pending availability, Guests can also register their children and book session times on board the ship using the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter