DCL newbies have lots of questions for MDAS sailing

DancingBelle55

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone!

My friend and I will be sailing next month on the Magic, for a 5 night MDAS (2 adults, no kids). We know a lot about our home Disney Park, but practically nothing about Disney cruises!

1. I keep hearing about Pirate Night. Is this on all cruises, regardless of sailing length and theme days?

2. Are costumes for adults allowed (full on cosplay, not Disney Bounding)? The costume in question would not be allowed at the parks outside of special ticketed events like Halloween, SW Night, etc.

3. Are there any discounts onboard or at Castaway Cay for cast members or AAA?

4. Is there an official Formal night? We'll probably just be eating in the regular dining areas, no Palo.

5. What exactly is the WIFI situation on board? Friend needs to be connected for some school stuff, and is willing to pay. Is there any WIFI at Castaway Cay, paid or otherwise?

Last question, I swear!
6. Most drinks are included, except alcohol, of course, but (good) coffee and smoothies are not? And can you use the reusable cups they sell at the WDW hotels (or any reusable one) and take drinks with you?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3. Cast members get their normal A or B discounts on most merchandise onboard the ship. No discounts at Castaway Cay.

4. Depends on the length of the cruise. Even if they're is, you're not obligated to dress up, but you can if you want.

6. Not a coffee drinker so I don't know what is good coffee or not. There is some free coffee on deck 11, as well as in the dining rooms. Water is free everywhere. Fountain soda is free in the dining rooms, or in deck 11, but may have a charge in bars. Canned soda can be purchased from room service, or (pre covid) at the concession stand by the theatre. You can use a reusable container for soda on deck 11, but for health and sanitation reasons, you should use one of the disposable cups to fill your refillable cup, rather than directly filling the personal cup.

1. There will be a pirate night on your cruise, but ours was scaled back on our January MDAS with no fireworks and deck show. We did have the pirate menu and people still dressed up.

2. Yes, with a few limits
DCL Policy - Costumes – During themed cruises and on board celebrations like Pirate Night, Guests are invited to dress in costume. We value safety and good judgment and ask Guests to choose costumes that are family friendly, not obstructive, objectionable, offensive or violent. To avoid any disappointment or delay in the boarding process, please refrain from bringing toys or props that resemble guns, knives or other related implements. Masks that completely cover a person’s face may only be worn when standing still at character photo locations and must be carried when moving around the ship. Guest may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs. Guests that fail to comply with these guidelines may be removed from events unless their costume can be modified.

3. No AAA discount onboard or at CC

4. No formal night on a 5 night cruise

5. Not great. If by connected you mean checking email or looking at a class website, that will be fine. Joining an online class probably would not work. Some people report being able to their internet service while on CC through international roaming. A search of this board will give some experiences.

6. The coffee on the pool deck is terrible and the coffee through room service is not much better. Good coffee at Cove Cafe, priced similarly to Starbucks. Smoothies are not included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter