DCL shows that they CAN cancel cruises for no reason - Wonder's 12/9/12 and on

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nighttime news here is SoCal picked up the story last night of the Wonder's 4 cancelled sailings. Not that they said anything or gave any info, but maybe this means a release of info is coming from Disney soon? :confused3

The nighttime news here is SoCal picked up the story last night of the Wonder's 4 cancelled sailings. Not that they said anything or gave any info, but maybe this means a release of info is coming from Disney soon? :confused3

I think the local newspaper story (quoted in another thread) got it back in the news again. My MIL texted me this morning that it was reported on Fox News today that DCL is canceling the 4 MR cruises due to violence in Mexico. I told her it was OLD news (and I know DH already told her...), and that violence is not the issue. If it was so dangerous they wouldn't be going there for the next 4 months plus the fall cruises. Just a case of how wording such as "concern about traveling to Mexico by potential customers" (or something to that effect, from port officials NOT DCL) gets twisted around in the media.

I think the local newspaper story (quoted in another thread) got it back in the news again. My MIL texted me this morning that it was reported on Fox News today that DCL is canceling the 4 MR cruises due to violence in Mexico. I told her it was OLD news (and I know DH already told her...), and that violence is not the issue. If it was so dangerous they wouldn't be going there for the next 4 months plus the fall cruises. Just a case of how wording such as "concern about traveling to Mexico by potential customers" (or something to that effect, from port officials NOT DCL) gets twisted around in the media.
That's funny, because I'm still hold a booking for 12/2 to MR, so obviously they didn't cancel just some of them for the violence in Mexico. I wish my WAS cancelled, because it was booked as a placeholder and I could use the extra OBC.

I'm so sorry for all those affected by the cancellations, it is so heart-breaking. I know, because DCL cancelled a cruise on us last year. We were booked on a 7 night Med cruise before our 14 night Transatlantic and were devastated that they booked a private sailing and we no longer had our 21 night cruise. They offered exactly the same compensation 10% off and $250 OBC if we would keep our Transatlantic cruise, which we did, but it still burns me that we didn't get that Med cruise :mad: When we complained that we wanted back to back cruises, they offered to switch our Med to a Carribbean sailing we just laughed ... what a joke ... trade France and Italy for Carribbean ports .. no thank you! :headache:

I watched Fox as well, and that is not what I took from the piece. They did not say it was because of violence, they said they didn't know why these 4 sailings were cancelled and speculated that it could be violence. Then, to counter that speculation they had someone say that no American tourist is going to be harmed in Mexico, so cancelling for violence wouldn't make sense. (Which is actually BS because around the time of our sailing is when an American tourist was beheaded in Mazatlan). They did not commit one way or another, really - they just mentioned the cancellations, gave speculation and a view to counter that speculation. The news piece was really pointless. They did also mention that the port authority was waiting to find out if Disney was pulling out of the port altogether or not. They gave the impression that the port authority doesn't know yet themselves.

I know I briefly mentioned this before, but is anyone interested in maybe signing a petition of some sort to send to Disney....It sounds like many have been affected, either by these cancellations or previous ones, with unfair compensation. We had a Christmas week cruise planned that has just been destroyed....I Have already written letters to Disney, but I am really really wanting to spread the word further. I had a poor car sale once...(I was a teen, new to driving and was totally taken advantage of) and got a consumer advocate on my side....Lots of poor news media etc...and eventually got a fair compensation for my troubles. (was given a demo Honda for a lemon used Hyundai....not bad...it took a lot of work and effort, but paid off in the end.) Thoughts?????

I know I briefly mentioned this before, but is anyone interested in maybe signing a petition of some sort to send to Disney....It sounds like many have been affected, either by these cancellations or previous ones, with unfair compensation. We had a Christmas week cruise planned that has just been destroyed....I Have already written letters to Disney, but I am really really wanting to spread the word further. I had a poor car sale once...(I was a teen, new to driving and was totally taken advantage of) and got a consumer advocate on my side....Lots of poor news media etc...and eventually got a fair compensation for my troubles. (was given a demo Honda for a lemon used Hyundai....not bad...it took a lot of work and effort, but paid off in the end.) Thoughts?????

Sorry, I would not personally be comfortable with joining in on that. The fact of the matter is that, although it sucks for everyone affected, Disney is not legally in the wrong - they have the right to cancel or change any sailing at any time WITHOUT having to give ANY compensation. It stinks that you've been affected, but Disney is doing more than they "have to." I've known other cruise lines to give NO compensation. It is what it is and I feel for you, but I think a petition is inappropriate. Just my 2 cents.

Diane, I would. I think lots of people get upset but never contact anyone beyond the customer service folks who were set up to talk to the "displaced" cruisers. In fact, those same customer service reps were instructed to "contain" the situation and under no circumstances allow guests to talk to any higher ups. I imagine there are "higher ups" who genuinely don't know the level of dissatisfaction among those of us who booked a cruise, planned and dreamed of our holiday cruise, but don't get to take a cruise since now everything else is so much higher in cost.

FYI -- just got off the phone with a customer service CM. I called to ask about when they are releasing the 2013 itinerary for Wonder & Magic. She mentioned the cancellation of the December MR cruises. I asked if that was because of the problems in Mexico and she said NO. It was because they were not selling and Disney is rethinking the itinerary for the Wonder and that is why they have not released the itineraries for either ship yet.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of this.

That is not what I am asking DCL to do at all....obviously we don't want other's affected...I have already expressed to Disney that I am more than willing to either 1) get on another cruise going anywhere Disney Sails over Christmas week 2012 for the same price....or 2) wait for a future Christmas sailing 2013...2014...even 2015 for the same price....(which you know is unlikely with inflation.. I too am trying to compromise here....I am not just trying to be an *** about it...I am trying to come up with a fair compromise for people who's CHRISTMAS DREAMS have been slashed by the company that advertises DREAMS COME TRUE! You know I understand that you are probably here to mediate and buffer....but a great many people here have really been negativatly affected...and this is a way to vent and blow off some steam. That poor person that had a wedding booked...I mean come on. REALLY!!!! isn''t that worth a little more than $500 shipboard credit? THeir wedding cake probably cost that much.

Statements like "I am trying to come up with a fair compromise for people who's CHRISTMAS DREAMS have been slashed by the company that advertises DREAMS COME TRUE!" are not going to be effective unless you are trying to run a PR bomb for the local media. No one was harmed by these cancellations, just disappointed. Any negative affects experienced would still only be disappointment. Being disappointed that you do not get to do something does not entitle you to anything. I don't see where there could be "unfair compensation" as there is nothing to be compensated for. You get your deposit and any money paid back with more than a YEAR to plan something else. DCL offered an on board credit as a goodwill gesture but they certainly will have no problem filling the staterooms with out it.
How you are reacting now and how you continue to react to this will determine what Christmas is like this year not any perceived injustice by DCL.

Statements like "I am trying to come up with a fair compromise for people who's CHRISTMAS DREAMS have been slashed by the company that advertises DREAMS COME TRUE!" are not going to be effective unless you are trying to run a PR bomb for the local media. No one was harmed by these cancellations, just disappointed. Any negative affects experienced would still only be disappointment. Being disappointed that you do not get to do something does not entitle you to anything. I don't see where there could be "unfair compensation" as there is nothing to be compensated for. You get your deposit and any money paid back with more than a YEAR to plan something else. DCL offered an on board credit as a goodwill gesture but they certainly will have no problem filling the staterooms with out it.
How you are reacting now and how you continue to react to this will determine what Christmas is like this year not any perceived injustice by DCL.

Ouch. That's a little bit harsh! I am not affected by these cancellations, but I can definitely understand why the folks that HAVE been affected are upset/frustrated/VERY disappointed about it. Some of these folks booked on opening day - months and months ago - because they knew that would be the only way to have an affordable Disney cruise vacation, especially over Christmas break. Because of the way DCL's pricing works, and the fact that these cruises were cancelled with NO replacement cruises announced, these folks are now left with no feasible option to cruise DCL in 2012.

So while DCL doesn't legally owe anybody anything, a little more goodwill would go a long ways, especially since Disney has always been known for their excellent customer service. These folks booked a vacation with DCL in good faith, and if DCL can't/won't do more to make up for the MAJOR headache/inconvenience/disappointment of their customers, then that doesn't exactly send a great message to the thousands of the rest of us DCL'ers who book months in advance in good faith. I can understand why people affected by these cancellations - and the lack of "appropriate compensation" - would be left with a bitter taste in their mouth for DCL right now.

Understand that you are entitled to your opinion, and your point about one's perspective/attitude determining one's experience is a valid one. But if you tried to put yourself in these folks' shoes, a little empathy might be called for as well.

Just my two-cents, FWIW.

RE: Carnival -- my girlfriend (who is a devotee of Holland America) has taken two Carnival cruises out of Baltimore and raved about the ships, the staff and the food. She is in her 60's, so not a party girl by any means ;)

As for 2013, just spoke to my TA and she said the Med/Europe is being bantered around quite a bit for the Magic and she thinks ressies will open in the next two weeks. :confused3

That would fit with the date of the uk brochure for 2013 cruises being posted out to us brits.

I would feel exactly as you do. It would not hurt Disney AT ALL to let you book another cruise at the same time for the same cost. I would be willing to join a petition if I had been affected. Good luck.

Ouch. That's a little bit harsh! I am not affected by these cancellations, but I can definitely understand why the folks that HAVE been affected are upset/frustrated/VERY disappointed about it. Some of these folks booked on opening day - months and months ago - because they knew that would be the only way to have an affordable Disney cruise vacation, especially over Christmas break. Because of the way DCL's pricing works, and the fact that these cruises were cancelled with NO replacement cruises announced, these folks are now left with no feasible option to cruise DCL in 2012.

So while DCL doesn't legally owe anybody anything, a little more goodwill would go a long ways, especially since Disney has always been known for their excellent customer service. These folks booked a vacation with DCL in good faith, and if DCL can't/won't do more to make up for the MAJOR headache/inconvenience/disappointment of their customers, then that doesn't exactly send a great message to the thousands of the rest of us DCL'ers who book months in advance in good faith. I can understand why people affected by these cancellations - and the lack of "appropriate compensation" - would be left with a bitter taste in their mouth for DCL right now.

Understand that you are entitled to your opinion, and your point about one's perspective/attitude determining one's experience is a valid one. But if you tried to put yourself in these folks' shoes, a little empathy might be called for as well.

Just my two-cents, FWIW.

The drama and over reaction to an event over a year away is what is harsh. I can not find empathy when there was 12 months notice given and people act like the rug was pulled out from under them 12 hours before they were to sail. Sure it stinks but DCL does not hold you to your reservation until 75 days out and yet DCL can not change anything once you put a deposit down?
Hurt feelings and disappointment don't merit compensation. No one's life was ruined, no one's vacation was ruined and no one's holiday was ruined. It was a change of plans. If a person can not adapt with a years notice then they have bigger issues. The "compensation" DCL offered was more than generous.
It seems like every time something like this happens, DCL (or what eer company) can not do enough. It wouldn't surprise me to see a lawsuit mentioned next.

Considering how quickly the price of a cruise increases after opening day, this move may very well result in people having to cancel their vacations - which would ruin plans, and since the Christmas cruise is included and some have already submitted requests for time off for 2012, it would ruin their holiday plans. Having to tell a kid that after being excited about going on a Disney cruise for Christmas for the past nine months they are not going because it would cost an additional $2000 or more to transfer it to a different DCL ship is not my idea of something that a person "just gets over".

What would have been nice is if they would have also offered us the option of booking whatever they have replacing the cruises they canceled at the same daily rate that we had originally booked under.

The drama and over reaction to an event over a year away is what is harsh. I can not find empathy when there was 12 months notice given and people act like the rug was pulled out from under them 12 hours before they were to sail. Sure it stinks but DCL does not hold you to your reservation until 75 days out and yet DCL can not change anything once you put a deposit down?
Hurt feelings and disappointment don't merit compensation. No one's life was ruined, no one's vacation was ruined and no one's holiday was ruined. It was a change of plans. If a person can not adapt with a years notice then they have bigger issues. The "compensation" DCL offered was more than generous.
It seems like every time something like this happens, DCL (or what eer company) can not do enough. It wouldn't surprise me to see a lawsuit mentioned next.

Um, hate to argue with you, but surely you can see that peoples' vacations HAVE been ruined by this. Peoples' holidays HAVE been ruined. Yes, it's nice to have a year's notice, but DCL's prices get over-inflated WAY before a year out. I totally agree with PPs who have suggested that the least DCL could do is allow people to book another cruise at the same rate they had booked the cancelled cruise - not at today's going rate. Even with that, though, the stipulations that DCL set forth for the offered compensation (i.e. the replacement cruise must be the same length as the cancelled one), people have extremely limited options for the same time frame - especially since DCL still hasn't even announced what's taking the place of those cancelled cruises. Why not give the folks affected the first opportunity to book one of those replacements??

What would be fair? Let these folks book another cruise at the same per person daily rate they had booked their MR cruise, and don't dictate that it MUST be the exact same length cruise. I don't even think any additional OBC would be necessary - just the opportunity to still cruise during the same frame for a similar amount of cost. WHY IN THE WORLD is that asking too much from DCL???

For people who plan literally years in advance for the opportunity to take a Disney cruise, the rug HAS literally been pulled out from under them.

ETA: I am sure that EVERYONE who has been affected will indeed survive, and will indeed have a wonderful 2012 Christmas. But I sure can't blame anyone for coming here to the DISboards to vent about how this has affected their current plans.

Just wanted to back you up on this so you're not hanging out there alone. I don't think what you said is harsh, only realistic. Your point is simply that they have no legal ground to stand on and, although it STINKS that their holiday plans have been cancelled, part of booking that far in advance is to understand that you agreed to DCL booking terms which means you agree that it can be cancelled or changed at any time. Bottom line is that everyone agreed to these terms and Disney is not in the wrong. No compensation is owed to anybody and Disney has done more than they have to in this situation.

What would be fair?

For people who plan literally years in advance for the opportunity to take a Disney cruise, the rug HAS literally been pulled out from under them.

I think the point that's trying to be made is that YES - people book years in advance (I do it myself), specifically for the better pricing given Disney's higher rates. BUT...every person who books does agree to the DCL cruise policy that states a cruise can be cancelled at any time. Simply, to benefit from a lower cost you take a higher risk, and those who booked this early out took a higher risk of having their sailing cancelled. Although I was not booked on this sailing I was booked on a different DCL sailing that changed some time ago...and I would NEVER let it deter me from sailing with Disney, and I would never feel entitled to something that wasn't owed to me. I think my frustration with reading this board is that yes - I agree it stinks - however, people feel entitled to "more compensation" or like they weren't offered a sailing at the same price, and they're not entitled to those things at all. Although those are valid initial feelings to have, the truth is that they don't deserve anything. Disney does not have to compensate anything; they have to offer nothing, and they have to do nothing. That they gave any compensation at all should show good faith on Disney's part.

In the end, the cruise agreement specifically states that a sailing can be canceled, and that fact alone means that no one is entitled to anything. Be angry, be frustrated, be hurt...heck, never sail Disney again if you don't want. However, the notion that people are entitled to anything when they very clearly are not is what gets me.

Also, has anyone considered that Disney has not given an alternative sailing option because they don't have one yet? Depending on the itineraries they're considering, they might not have the necessary approvals from ports to move forward with a release of information. Why then cancel these sailings before they know? Again - as a courtesy to those who were booked on the ship. Being more than 11 months out most people won't have been able to have booked any flights. Should Disney have waited to cancel these sailings people might have been in MORE of a predicament because of flight arrangements, etc. Heck, as a travel agent there were years when people wanted to travel to WDW in January and when they called a couple months prior in order to book (like in September), Disney STILL didn't have pricing available and couldn't/wouldn't take reservations...even for a trip 3 months later! The point is, you never know what is happening with Disney's contracts and vendors. People have mentioned on this board how Disney "usually" has great customer service/standards/etc. Why does this have to be a negative on Disney's part? Why can't people see that, depending on the situation Disney is in, maybe this WAS the best way they could protect their customer's interests? Like I said, maybe this WAS Disney's way of saving people from further problems with airfare, etc. The negativity towards Disney before an explanation is even given is saddening. If only people could step back and wait to see what the truth is instead of speculating so much, then maybe it would be seen in the end that Disney is still a great company and that so much speculation only leads to fevered reactions.

Anyway...just my 2 cents. I know that most won't agree with me and I don't wish to anger anybody, but it is disheartening to see people claiming to be entitled to compensation that is not owed to them. That sense of entitlement is how we've become a country of lawsuits and self-imposed privilege, and that makes me sad. I don't know and can't speak for the original poster whom I quoted above, but I think they would agree that this is what's frustrating - the sense of entitlement when the people who booked (a) accepted the terms and conditions of booking and (b) have already been given more compensation than what was due to them.

Anyway...just my 2 cents. I know that most won't agree with me and I don't wish to anger anybody, but it is disheartening to see people claiming to be entitled to compensation that is not owed to them. That sense of entitlement is how we've become a country of lawsuits and self-imposed privilege, and that makes me sad. I don't know and can't speak for the original poster whom I quoted above, but I think they would agree that this is what's frustrating - the sense of entitlement when the people who booked (a) accepted the terms and conditions of booking and (b) have already been given more compensation than what was due to them.

I guess it's a matter of interpretation of the posts. I didn't just go back and re-read all 20 pages, but my overall impression is that the people who have been affected and that have posted here have expressed their disappointment and frustration and what they WISHED DCL would do or what they would LIKE for DCL to do, but I no shape, form, or fashion interpreted anybody to say that they were ENTITLED to anything more than they were getting. I think most everybody affected would agree with the legal terms of the contract and would agree that legally and technically they aren't owed anything. But that doesn't keep them for wishing/hoping/trying for more than what's been offered, or expressing their overall frustration and disappointment with the whole situation. And that's the part that I can understand, and that I don't have a problem with.

ETA: And the part about judging DCL without knowing the reasons behind their decisions... perhaps if SOME sort of explanation was given by DCL, then there wouldn't NEED to be any speculation. By remaining absolutely silent about WHY, they opened themselves up for the criticism, unfortunately. (And yes, I know, there may be reasons for their silence, but still....)

I have never sued anyone in my life, nor do I plan to. I completely understand that DCL CAN do what they just did. That doesn't make it the right way to do things. Walt would roll over in his grave, if he had one. :rotfl:
Just because I am disappointed in how the cancellations were handled, and think that DCL could do more, does not make me a person with "a sense of entitlement" with "self-imposed privilege". While I see your point about society in general, I don't think anyone here is suing for 10 million dollars because we got burned by hot coffee. :rotfl2:
It is easy to sit on the outside and judge other people's reactions to the cancellations. There are lots of other factors that go into their reactions, situations in their finances or lives that put perhaps more importance on that cruise than there might be for others. :goodvibesYou don't know.

I guess it's a matter of interpretation of the posts. I didn't just go back and re-read all 20 pages, but my overall impression is that the people who have been affected and that have posted here have expressed their disappointment and frustration and what they WISHED DCL would do or what they would LIKE for DCL to do, but I no shape, form, or fashion interpreted anybody to say that they were ENTITLED to anything more than they were getting. I think most everybody affected would agree with the legal terms of the contract and would agree that legally and technically they aren't owed anything. But that doesn't keep them for wishing/hoping/trying for more than what's been offered, or expressing their overall frustration and disappointment with the whole situation. And that's the part that I can understand, and that I don't have a problem with.

Yes, it's definitely a misstep on DCL's part, customer service wise. There are lots of other ways they could have handled this. Two easy things: displaced cruisers could be given "day 1" booking priority for the cruises that the Wonder will do over the December time frame. Not everyone is Gold or Platinum and the prices for those cruises will certainly rise before Silver or New cruisers get a chance to book. That would allow those who can only cruise that time of year to have a chance (again) at Day 1 pricing.

Second, they could have allowed those who do opt to change their dates to another sailing to have the same "effective date" as their original booking. That would then not penalize folks who had originally chosen say Christmas on the Wonder, over Christmas on the Fantasy. They would then pay whatever the going rate WAS for the Fantasy (for example) on their date of original booking. It would be as if they simply had made a different choice. Neither of these even cost DCL money as they keep the cruiser onboard, albeit on a different itinerary/date. Just my thoughts. Other cruise lines (notably RCCI) have given cruisers their same rate on another ship, when the cruises were canceled in mass like these were. Did they have to do that? Of course not. Was it the right way to keep customers in the fold, and prevent them from trying other lines? You bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter