DCL to get rid of Placeholder Booking Perks?

Yes. Crowding is a much bigger concern to me than price. The more the raise prices the less crowded the parks will be. I wish they would also get rid of the annual passes that allow you to visit as many times as you want. This just encourages people to go more often. I wish they would move a variable points system based on demand. You could buy various amounts of points per year but it would reduce the number of visits.

Unfortunately we don’t all have money to burn like yourself, and means some of us may not even be able to afford to go

Yes. Crowding is a much bigger concern to me than price. The more the raise prices the less crowded the parks will be. I wish they would also get rid of the annual passes that allow you to visit as many times as you want. This just encourages people to go more often. I wish they would move a variable points system based on demand. You could buy various amounts of points per year but it would reduce the number of visits.

You are correct that the parks will be less crowded with each price increase! However, as long as Disney keeps building new resorts to contain the crowds - people will fill them (especially when discounts are offered). Disney needs another park to spread out the crowds.

Regarding annual passes: the point is to encourage people to go more often - spending their money on WDW resorts, restaurants, Disney souvies, etc. I upgraded to an annual pass last February, after not having one for 5 or 6 years. Holy cow - had the price of that AP increased a lot in the last decade! I paid $481.95 in July 2009 for my last 10-day non-expiring park hopper from Undercover Tourist! AP prices then weren't much more. The latest price increase of ~ $225 brought the AP price to almost $1,200! I (probably foolishly) bought another AP at the Sam's Club discounted rate - similar to what I paid in early 2019. The AP doesn't have to be activated until the end of 2030 - so I might want to return after all the building projects for the MK's 50th anniversary are finished.

Last edited:
By instituting a variable pricing model it will allow families to chose to visit during lower demand periods. The current pricing model is broken at Disneyland. This Summer the park was deserted. If Disney had a variable pricing model they could lower prices in real time which would allowed many price sensitive customers to visit. Instead the parks were deserted and crowds were very light.
Local annual passholders were blocked from visiting Disneyland in the summer, and out-of-state visitors feared it would be TOO crowded - so stayed away.

ETA: By the way - Disney already varies pricing due to high vs. low demand periods at resorts, some restaurants, and ticket prices. Summer at Disneyland is usually a high-demand time period.

Last edited:
You do realize that we're talking about cruises and not the parks? They typically find a way to fill up the ships.

You know, at the beginning of the thread, there was at least a little outrage. More like a bunch of acceptance now.

Face it, y'all are nothing but frogs in a pan and Disney just keeps turning up the heat and you sit there all oblivious . . .
Well that's a bit judgmental.
Some are outraged every bit as much as you. Some are okay with it. Some will send the emails and messages. Not everyone is going to be the same so sadly, if you are expecting different, you will be disappointed.

Just saw this online as well. Bummed to see Disney doing this. I was already surprised that the discount didn't apply to the concierge (most expensive) rooms - does Disney just figure that if you're willing to pay the big price for the nicest rooms, that you don't need a price discount?

This affects me quite a bit. It's just us two adults but we have one income and it's a minor miracle that we can go on DCL every two years. We use the OBC for souvenirs, Palo, and/or excursions (gratuities are budgeted separately). This truly affects us and is making start questioning the value now.
I loved DCL because they didn't nickel & dime their customers, like most other lines, and are upfront with all costs. Now, DCL is turning into like any other cruise line and I cannot justify the larger price gap because the unique/value is disappearing.
We were planning on doing a DCL wedding but with the cost increase in those services (up by $500 w/out added services), increased price in all sailings, very little benefits for return cruisers, and lack of customer appreciation, I am truly questioning getting married on DCL.

I really hope DCL is reading this thread, they need to witness the disappointment and re-connect with their clientele.

You know, at the beginning of the thread, there was at least a little outrage. More like a bunch of acceptance now.

Face it, y'all are nothing but frogs in a pan and Disney just keeps turning up the heat and you sit there all oblivious . . .

I am not oblivious, but $200 isn’t going to stop me from enjoying a Disney cruise. In the big picture, $200 is such a small percentage of the overall price of the cruise. We have tried other cruise lines. We understand why they are so much cheaper to book.

When we reach the point where the cost of a Disney cruise is more than the enjoyment we get, we won’t book anymore. Until then, $200 isn’t going to keep us off a Disney cruise.

Some are outraged every bit as much as you. Some are okay with it. Some will send the emails and messages. Not everyone is going to be the same so sadly, if you are expecting different, you will be disappointed.

Disney is a private company. Why are people outraged? Public governments are doing the same thing. The price to drive on the freeways in Seattle is variable based on demand.

Disney is a private company. Why are people outraged? Public governments are doing the same thing. The price to drive on the freeways in Seattle is variable based on demand.
Why are you asking me? I never said I was outraged did I?

What does this have to do with the stateroom credit being discontinued for those who book onboard?

Because Disney is varying discounts and credits based on demand. They are trying to maximize profits which is what all private corporations are supposed to do. If management doesn't maximize profits the stockholders will revolt and have the CEO replaced.

We had 3 veranda staterooms for our Alaska cruise earlier this year. It was so nice to see those onboard credits - they're just a small percentage of the total cost, but really helped us to justify those cruise prices. So sad to see them disappear!

We talked to them after the alcohol policy change and I brought up price and they didn’t seem bothered by my concern.

My guess is they won’t care what any of us say. What they will care about is when they aren’t sailing full, then they may back off on the price or at least the increases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter