DCL to get rid of Placeholder Booking Perks?

If I recall, TAs were told by DCL they could provide only 50% of their typical OBC when an OBB was transferred to them. Does that policy change? If so, the full OBC from a TA helps take some of the sting out of the change, though I still roll my eyes at DCL.

This still applies, as per my TA, I asked this morning. Disney hasn't mentioned anything different at least that she has heard.

I’m wondering about the start dates of the changes—I have a placeholder I’m planning to use next week for silver opening day. Will they use the date I booked the placeholder or the date I move it to an actual cruise to determine if I get the OBC? Obviously hoping for the former. This is a big bummer. :guilty:

The way I read it is that any place holder booked prior to this weekend keeps the onboard credit. Any new place holders made beginning this weekend will have the new rules. I am sure they will go by the date the reservation was created.

I’m wondering about the start dates of the changes—I have a placeholder I’m planning to use next week for silver opening day. Will they use the date I booked the placeholder or the date I move it to an actual cruise to determine if I get the OBC? Obviously hoping for the former. This is a big bummer. :guilty:

That is the way it normally works, if you already have it booked then you are good. It would only be for new bookings/placeholders after the effective date. However, as greedy as the Mouse is becoming I can't say that's a 100% guarantee.

Less than great food on our last cruise, not that it was great to begin with but it was good. Last cruise left something to be desired. Maybe we are outgrowing DCL but found the activities ho hum too.

If I recall, TAs were told by DCL they could provide only 50% of their typical OBC when an OBB was transferred to them. Does that policy change? If so, the full OBC from a TA helps take some of the sting out of the change, though I still roll my eyes at DCL.

Actually, what happened is that DCL pays lower commission to TAs for the transferred cruises, therefore the TAs cut back the OBC they offered to customers. Some TAs still provide full OBC, some TAs never offered any OBC, some TAs offer a reduced OBC for transferred reservations. That is all up to the TA how they handle booking perks. This OBB policy change shouldn't directly impact.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hmmm... I'm wondering about the terminology:
However, this offer will no longer include an onboard credit. This promotional offer is unique to sailing Guests and not available through any other booking channel.

I wonder if that means that only those actual reservations booked onboard (may/will) get OBC. While those reservations that are placeholders (not an actual reservation made while cruising) won't?

When I spoke to the CM on the Castaway line, she said that you'd still get the OBC. If you book/purchase a PH after the dates listed, then there is no OBC

However, this offer will no longer include an onboard credit. This promotional offer is unique to sailing Guests and not available through any other booking channel.

I wonder if that means that only those actual reservations booked onboard (may/will) get OBC. While those reservations that are placeholders (not an actual reservation made while cruising) won't?

You mean we should all put our pitchforks and torches down until there is a clear message from DCL? 🤣

In the big picture is this really a huge issue? It is only 200 bucks on a 4k cruise. It isn't as if the price of the cruise itself went up 30 or 40%.

That would cover Palo for 2. Or an excursion in some cases. It's significant enough for me, especially considering they do increase prices very regularly. My upcoming 4 night is the same cost as the 7 night I took last year. And since I'm booked on a "special" cruise, the discount is blacked out so if it wasn't for the credit, it would've made booking onboard completely pointless, if not a hindrance since I can't book online on opening day to use the placeholder.

I was going to book a place holder on my cruise in December. I will probably leave that now and go with royal

here in Uk royal are always giving the free all inclusive drinks offer

however I was using the onboard credit for drinks so price wasn’t as bad and never felt as much more but now that’s away am getting sick of the greed and doubt I’ll do dcl after December

I take that to mean the credit only applied if you booked onboard, and not via any other channel such as online, over the phone, or through a TA, and not necessarily contingent on booking an actual sailing vs placeholder. I could be wrong though.

So basically they took away the only benefit to booking concierge while onboard. The onboard credit was the only benefit to booking while onboard if you like sailing concierge. Concierge doesn't get the 10% off.

That would cover Palo for 2. Or an excursion in some cases. It's significant enough for me, especially considering they do increase prices very regularly. My upcoming 4 night is the same cost as the 7 night I took last year. And since I'm booked on a "special" cruise, the discount is blacked out so if it wasn't for the credit, it would've made booking onboard completely pointless, if not a hindrance since I can't book online on opening day to use the placeholder.
A lot of people used that for gratuities and/or excursions and/or drinks and/or Palo/Remy.

We did the same and do the same currently when it is offered on other lines.

I guess you missed my point. Over the last few years prices have dramatically increased on DCL, so only losing 200 is a drop in the bucket compared to a price increase on the cruise itself. It of course does increase the out of pocket once onboard which can be more noticeable than an increase that was payed off months before you sail.

Do these all add up, yes, and different people have a breaking point issue with a brand as well. I guess my point is it could be worse!

So basically they took away the only benefit to booking concierge while onboard. The onboard credit was the only benefit to booking while onboard if you like sailing concierge. Concierge doesn't get the 10% off.

The wording on the other thread mentioned that "Concierge and Friends & Family" will still receive the OBC. The wording above does specifically state "stateroom categories 4A-11C" with no mention of concierge. I guess we'll see if DCL clarifies anything...

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter