DCL to get rid of Placeholder Booking Perks?

We did the same and do the same currently when it is offered on other lines.

I guess you missed my point. Over the last few years prices have dramatically increased on DCL, so only losing 200 is a drop in the bucket compared to a price increase on the cruise itself. It of course does increase the out of pocket once onboard which can be more noticeable than an increase that was payed off months before you sail.

Do these all add up, yes, and different people have a breaking point issue with a brand as well. I guess my point is it could be worse!

Oh, I'm not surprised in the least. Cuts have been Disney's M.O. for a long while now: in the parks, even in screened entertainment. It's not news, but am I disappointed? Yep. Psychologically speaking, people can at least semi-justify the price increases by saying, "well, at least I'd get $200 credit. That'll help pay for excursions" and it gives an impression of some sort of value. It's like a coupon. Sure, it's only saving like 20 cents, but that 20 cents is what entices consumers to buy. Disney is missing the point too. Or are they doing so well, and so full of themselves that they just don't have that need to entice consumers any more? I don't know that any company is that big.

In the big picture is this really a huge issue? It is only 200 bucks on a 4k cruise. It isn't as if the price of the cruise itself went up 30 or 40%.

Yes of course it could be worse, but this is still a significant blow. Sometimes people say, well, you're already spending $4,000 so what's another $200. But the problem is that DCL has done this repeatedly over just the last couple of years. I first sailed on DCL in November 2017 and here is just a small list of the "adjustments" they have made, in addition to ever increasing prices (comparing WBPC year over year shows an increase of at least $200-300 per stateroom, just a tiny example).

• Rainforest passes, single day: doubled in price
  • Liquor tastings: all increased by $3-5 per person at least
  • Palo: $10 price increase
  • Remy: $30 price increase
  • Gratuities: $1.50 per person per night increase
  • No more individual toiletries in rooms
  • No automatic delivery of paper Navigators to rooms
  • Transfers to/from port: $4 increase per person each way (Orlando), more at other ports
  • And now this change to Onboard booking benefits.
With every change, some/many have said "oh - that price increase is reasonable". Sure - every increase is just a little bit - but they all add up.

Edit: forgot about the gingerbread houses being taken away on Merrytime cruises. And someone mentioned below the gold/platinum reception.

Last edited:
Just had an email from Dreams confirming.
Well I’d never sailed anyone else but DCL until this September when I sailed Princess.
Wow! It was nothing like I expected. It was much much better and the gap between it and DCL much narrower than I could ever have imagined.
I have 3 DCL cruises that I’ll be taking next year, but I’m already underwhelmed with the early 2021 schedules and now this.
I can see Princess getting far more of my money going forwards.

Does anyone know what sort of perks people can get for booking on board a Princess or RCCL (etc) cruise? How does this move compare with the "industry standard"?

• Transfers to/from port: $4 increase per person each way (Orlando), more at other ports

They also took away the Gold/Platinum reception on cruises 7 nights or less.

In the big picture is this really a huge issue? It is only 200 bucks on a 4k cruise. It isn't as if the price of the cruise itself went up 30 or 40%.

my feelings as well... not a huge issue imo..
Sadly with this we'll see more folks weaseling out of paying gratuities as a 'revenge' for DCL taking away this perk.. Because, 'I already paid too much for this cruise' or something.

Does anyone know what sort of perks people can get for booking on board a Princess or RCCL (etc) cruise? How does this move compare with the "industry standard"?
Princess - Future cruise booking deposit is $100. Must be used within 2 years or is refunded. $100 is the total deposit on the future cruise.

OBC:
Per Person Shipboard Credit*
17 - 44 Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite
11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite,
7 - 10 Days, $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite
3 - 6 Days, $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

Yes of course it could be worse, but this is still a significant blow. Sometimes people say, well, you're already spending $4,000 so what's another $200. But the problem is that DCL has done this repeatedly over just the last couple of years. I first sailed on DCL in November 2017 and here is just a small list of the "adjustments" they have made, in addition to ever increasing prices (comparing WBPC year over year shows an increase of at least $200-300 per stateroom, just a tiny example).

With every change, some/many have said "oh - that price increase is reasonable". Sure - every increase is just a little bit - but they all add up.

I empathize with you. We started sailing DCL a time a great time and decided to take a break at a great time. We did so for reason similar to what you listed. Essentially you are paying more for the same or less of a product. I took a beat down on here to for essentially saying that.

An inside room is close to the cost now of what we paid for a cat v in 2014 on the Fantasy;)

Does anyone know what sort of perks people can get for booking on board a Princess or RCCL (etc) cruise?

It's a bit of a moving target, at least for RCCL where we have done it. Usually anywhere from 30-50% off second guest, discounted deposit, some form of OBC, and sometimes they throw in a freebie like drink package or some upcharge dining.

This stinks. The 10% helps a lot when it can be applied, but due to our schedules we sail on blackout cruises about half the time. You currently can only get OBC on those, so in the future we'll basically get no real benefit for booking those onboard. (I don't see a reduced deposit as a significant benefit.)

Between this & the crazy 2020 resort prices with reduced discounts, you have to wonder what Disney is calcululating when they do this. Do they really think this level of price increase, discount reduction & quality reduction is going to be sustainable long term?

Last edited:
I empathize with you. We started sailing DCL a time a great time and decided to take a break at a great time. We did so for reason similar to what you listed. Essentially you are paying more for the same or less of a product. I took a beat down on here to for essentially saying that.

Paying more for less is totally how I view it. Prices go up and up and up. Service remains good. Perks decrease.

What is "Friends & Family" booking? Never heard of that one.

Booking a second room for friends / family. You are on the ship you book a room for yourself and a second for a friend or family member. Both used to get the 10% discount as long as you traveled together on the future cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter