DCL website,Update: 12/15/09 Barcelona/August 2011Med trips changed to 7 nights

I am still having a hard time grasping that it would be worth it for them to do the TA repos for such a short period of time (May-July). The other thing is that these itineraries have barely been on sale for 6 weeks. As you have said before Andrew, sales for the Med are about 50% to Europeans who are not as likely to book 18 months out. So did they really give them a fair shot? Were they marketed at all? I think there are several questions unanswered. Perhaps they lost some of the slots at some of the new ports? I still find it odd that they did not suspend sales of the Sept. TA at the same time. If their intention is to bring her home early it would make sense to put a stop on those sales as well.:confused3

I can't WAIT to find out what they're doing instead!! Meanwhile, we're moving from the Aug. 10 to the July 20 in order to secure the SPH cabin we want. If she stays in the Med with a diff. itinerary we'll consider what it is and perhaps move back to August if we like it. Perhaps they could go to Portugal or other Spanish or French ports? August works out as a better month for us to go as long as we can be home before the last week of the month when our school starts...Perhaps they could do 2 shoulder cruises that include both Western & Eastern ports with a few 7 n Eastern Meds sandwiched in the middle? :confused3

I am still having a hard time grasping that it would be worth it for them to do the TA repos for such a short period of time (May-July).

I know your point; the TA's particularly the Western (return) have been very popular, good value, low on ports, but price per day is good, and DCL adds more entertainment. DCL makes the money on the destination rather than the Repositioning cruise, so yes a shorter season isn't so good for them. The Med's in 2007 where are a very high price, the same as the Baltics in 2010, making thoose worthwhile, the Meds for 2010 then 2011 have on average started at the cheaper price.

The other thing is that these itineraries have barely been on sale for 6 weeks. As you have said before Andrew, sales for the Med are about 50% to Europeans who are not as likely to book 18 months out. So did they really give them a fair shot? Were they marketed at all? I think there are several questions unanswered.

Again good points, we see from booking here the tip of the iceberg, we do not see all booking, not everyone knows of the disboards, and then even if they do know of these boards actually only a few post, this thread for example has 1,500 views, not so many posts.
However we can gauge from these boards if it was a ''poll'' Alaska is very very popular, Mexico 7/10 nights not so good, Caribbean, ok depends when, Dream, the start very good, but tails off, even thats lower than expected, Panama wasn't as popular this time, but hardly any entries for the Med.

Now yes there was been six weeks only and little marketing, the stuff we see in the UK is online and in papers not high profile and for 2010, we have had plenty of offers on the Med for 2010, free kids up to age 16.

No publicity in the UK for 2011, bar some newspaper coverage for the Dream in national newspapers.

I guess if they were pulled it wasn't just on these 6 weeks of sale, they did have lots of time before people book airfare often 12 months pre cruise. So if pulled on poor sales it must also be based on how 2010 Med's are going,its a bit like a TV show being pulled after 6 weeks due to low ratings, however given time it could have been a hit.

Perhaps they lost some of the slots at some of the new ports?

A good point DCL not being a regular, hasn't the best ports or slots, La Spezia isn't the best port for Pisa or Florence, Livorno is far closer and you also dock. But, I do not think its loss of ports, the cruises up to 7/30 remain on one cruise they altered the schedule of days and ports. They would need a lot to cancel. Due to the economy cruises in the Med and anywhere have reduced, so port slots should have opened up.

I still find it odd that they did not suspend sales of the Sept. TA at the same time. If their intention is to bring her home early it would make sense to put a stop on those sales as well.:confused3

Yes its a big contradiction, which we cannot answer, one or the other.

I can't WAIT to find out what they're doing instead!!

Me too!! I do not know what to do!!!!

Meanwhile, we're moving from the Aug. 10 to the July 20 in order to secure the SPH cabin we want. If she stays in the Med with a diff. itinerary we'll consider what it is and perhaps move back to August if we like it. Perhaps they could go to Portugal or other Spanish or French ports? August works out as a better month for us to go as long as we can be home before the last week of the month when our school starts...Perhaps they could do 2 shoulder cruises that include both Western & Eastern ports with a few 7 n Eastern Meds sandwiched in the middle? :confused3

We do not know what they are up to, I would like a Eastern Med Cruise, Greek islands, I have been to Venice, but would love that and a trip up and around there. But why not publish it?

What we know from all this, Capacity is up, from 2011, demand is well down, the frenzy we saw in past years just hasn't been there, bar say for Alaska. And a bit of the Dream, but even that is lower than my expectations. Prices have come down everyone says DREAM appears to be ''good value''. So they have issues, and may decide / panic / cut looses earlier than before as there are alternatives. DCL has opened up bookings earlier and earlier each year, we saw dates like January for the following year before, now its October or even September for two years ahead. Few people commit that far ahead, bar seasoned DCL cruisers.

What we know from all this, Capacity is up, from 2011, demand is well down, Few people commit that far ahead, bar seasoned DCL cruisers.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. This is such a challenging economy, with several new ships entering the different fleets...in order for Disney to maintain its fiscal health...it must maximize its appeal and demand from the majority. They are most likely hoping to offer something other cruise lines can not to recruit more new sailers. Statistically, I'm guessing they have more repeat loyal cruisers...so the hardest part is getting new cruisers on to spread out that base of repeats. I admire a company who can reevaluate their position and where they need to be...it's a strategic move that will hopefully keep the investors and sailers happy.

Tara

I think you've hit the nail on the head. This is such a challenging economy, with several new ships entering the different fleets...in order for Disney to maintain its fiscal health...it must maximize its appeal and demand from the majority. They are most likely hoping to offer something other cruise lines can not to recruit more new sailers. Statistically, I'm guessing they have more repeat loyal cruisers...so the hardest part is getting new cruisers on to spread out that base of repeats. I admire a company who can reevaluate their position and where they need to be...it's a strategic move that will hopefully keep the investors and sailers happy.

Tara

Tara, good points and very correct, they will have to reevaluate things, and be more flexible and be prepared to chop and change more, DCL has a very high percentage of repeat cruisers, and recently adjusted the CC Club to make it more attractive, and complete more, but with the high cost of cruise ships, they have to ensure they obtain the highest possible financial return.

If they have made a quick reevaluation, it is good, but communication is very very poor, I can accept things change but keep your loyal customers informed.

I have a suite on a cruise booked, at high cost and at this moment in time, I know that cruise sales are suspended, but do not know my alternatives.

Should I dare say an alternative is RCCL?

Should I dare say an alternative is RCCL?

This is where my selfishness comes in...Disney only has 3 ships right now...RCCL has 22 and will be giving out some amazing deals to fill them all...I was wondering if Disney will be as badly affected as these larger cruise lines with filling rooms, the only thing against them is their price...but if they lower their price too much I think you'll see a drop in service/amenities which is what makes people want to pay more for a Disney cruise...sooo....I actually like seeing loyalists consider another line because that might mean great deals for us first time cruisers! :) I think in the end, this market will bring about wonderful deals across the board. But, I also don't want to see Disney lose it's quality status...but then again, having never sailed them, if it goes down maybe I won't notice! :)

Tara

This is where my selfishness comes in...Disney only has 3 ships right now...RCCL has 22 and will be giving out some amazing deals to fill them all...I was wondering if Disney will be as badly affected as these larger cruise lines with filling rooms, the only thing against them is their price...but if they lower their price too much I think you'll see a drop in service/amenities which is what makes people want to pay more for a Disney cruise...sooo....I actually like seeing loyalists consider another line because that might mean great deals for us first time cruisers! :) I think in the end, this market will bring about wonderful deals across the board. But, I also don't want to see Disney lose it's quality status...but then again, having never sailed them, if it goes down maybe I won't notice! :)

Tara

Yes I agree for DCL, this will be a whole new ball game. I have been on various cruises before, most recently I would say I was loyal to Princess Cruises, and swapped to DCL. I would say that form 6 cruises and 2 (maybe 1) more booked, I am a loyal DCL cruiser.

In this situation my thoughts are not to take quick decisions but hold back and see what occurs.

But for DCL, up to now with two ships only, both taking circa 2500 cruisers each cruise, they generally could 'expect' people to walk in through the doors and book due to the Disney brand.

When the Magic and Wonder started they were ''new'' in every way, not just a ship, but a new experience, more family oriented, better kids clubs, better Disney service, etc.

So they do not have to advertise too much, people will come to them and they can sail 100% capacity every cruise.

Now before the new ships come, things had a sudden change this year with the Economy, having both ships in the Caribbean all year, and the competition not just catching up, but overtaking at rapid speed with newer bigger ships, with greater facilities, these will not appeal to all, but it will appeal to the ''mass market''.

DCL positions itself at the premium end of the cruise market, but with ships like the Oasis of the Sea's other cruise lines are getting in on the act and outdoing Disney.

Now, for many reasons the public is looking for the best deal, they have got it right with Alaska on the Wonder, what a WONDERful Idea! But IMHO, they are starting to miss the mark, Its great there in Europe, but why 2010 and 2011 in a row? Over milking a cash cow?

What Alaska shows is DCL cruisers want new ports, new ideas, not repeats, Alaska, Blatic, etc, or a new ship, so the DREAM for the first year or so is the destination not the ports.

The DREAM is nearly there, but again IMHO, missed the target slightly, overall I would give my first impressions about 7/10, great headlines, Restaurants, Aquaduck, but the stateroom selection, its good, but not Disney perfect.

My guess, they have to earn people cruising with them, the public and repeat cruisers, will not automatically book DCL. There is competition. If they expect people just to turn up, week in and week out, without looking over their shoulder at RCCL. they will make more mistakes. (If this was one).

Just adding my 2 cents worth here. Have to agree that for DCL to compete now that it has 2 newer bigger ships to fill as well, they would need to get new cruisers. Andrew has mentioned that very little has been advertised in the UK. I can tell you that in AUstralia, most cruisers would have heard about the other major cruise lines but no one even knows that Disney has a cruise line, and that includes people who love Disney. There has been NO news or advertising regarding DCL here in anyway. I know that we are small but perhaps this reflects the situation in other countries. DCL perhaps need to capture people from outside of the US to keep up demand. ie the people who are used to having to pay airfares to get on a Disney cruise!

Just adding my 2 cents worth here. Have to agree that for DCL to compete now that it has 2 newer bigger ships to fill as well, they would need to get new cruisers. Andrew has mentioned that very little has been advertised in the UK. I can tell you that in Australia, most cruisers would have heard about the other major cruise lines but no one even knows that Disney has a cruise line, and that includes people who love Disney. There has been NO news or advertising regarding DCL here in anyway. I know that we are small but perhaps this reflects the situation in other countries. DCL perhaps need to capture people from outside of the US to keep up demand. ie the people who are used to having to pay airfares to get on a Disney cruise!

Now I would book a DCL cruise to Sydney Australia, my kids tonight have been going on about going to the land of Aus, so can I say, put a couple of things on the Barbi for us.;)
Now I fully agree, with you there is little or no advertising for DCL outside USA, I have seen it at Disneyland Paris, and the odd bit in our newspapers, Virgin cruises here take adverts out, or email people who book Disney.

IF people in Europe knew about DCL, they would book, so its catch 22, they do not get bookings.

An alternative view........

Now there is a 6 week gap, here, time for say 3 x 14 day cruises, that would explain why the TA in September is still on sale, and a good PR release for something to spice up the Med sailings.

Or a string of cruises, Barcelona to Venice, Venice say to Greece, then Back.

A tie in with Adventures ashore by Disney?

Now I would book a DCL cruise to Sydney Australia, my kids tonight have been going on about going to the land of Aus, so can I say, put a couple of things on the Barbi for us.;)
QUOTE]
This would be awesome! Please do come down, Australia is a great place to visit. Something for everyone. But of course I would say that...:thumbsup2

Would be interested in this too.

I would love to see the Med cruises incorporate Venice & Greece. I was hoping the 2010 would, but alas they did not. This would have us thinking about a second Med cruise.

An alternative view........

Now there is a 6 week gap, here, time for say 3 x 14 day cruises, that would explain why the TA in September is still on sale, and a good PR release for something to spice up the Med sailings.

I know many prefer longer cruises but from a $$$ standpoint they might sell 7 nighters easier because they'd be cheaper. I know plenty of people who have booked 7 night Meds on other lines either with less ports or no sea days. They could do six 7 nighters in that same time too. :confused3

I think ABD is WAAAY overpriced and we would never do it. JMO. It's beyond our budget.

We did the Med on back-to-back cruises in 2007. Loved the ports and LOVED Barcelona.

I think everyone's points of views about this are well founded and some great points were made.

However, we booked the 7/30 and got the same room we had in 2007! So if they are planning on changing the itinerary, it would suck for us on a personal note. Reason being -- we put off going back to the Med for 2011 specifically to do it on the Magic again (doing Baltic next year on HAL). We LOVE that itinerary -- repeats four ports we wanted to definitely see again, and includes three great new ones. But for us, the biggest selling factor was that it sailed out of Barcelona again. We felt we didn't get to spend enough time there in 2007, so planned on doing a 5-day pre-cruise.

So I'm not happy about all this.......but maybe they will surprise us with an intinerary we like. If not, we'll be looking elsewhere. :confused3

I DID contact my TA and she said the sailings are not suspended, but that they are not taking any new reservations. Have no idea what that means, but I guess we have to wait to be contacted.

And I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT 100% about what a crappy customer service DCL has had this whole year with customer contact, clear information, up-to-date news, etc.!

We did the Med on back-to-back cruises in 2007. Loved the ports and LOVED Barcelona.

I think everyone's points of views about this are well founded and some great points were made.

However, we booked the 7/30 and got the same room we had in 2007! So if they are planning on changing the itinerary, it would suck for us on a personal note. Reason being -- we put off going back to the Med for 2011 specifically to do it on the Magic again (doing Baltic next year on HAL). We LOVE that itinerary -- repeats four ports we wanted to definitely see again, and includes three great new ones. But for us, the biggest selling factor was that it sailed out of Barcelona again. We felt we didn't get to spend enough time there in 2007, so planned on doing a 5-day pre-cruise.

Looking through this post others on this cruise have been called to change dates as the cruise is not going so I would get your TA to check with DCL as it seems weird one group are being phoned to change reservations and you aren't.

So I'm not happy about all this.......but maybe they will surprise us with an intinerary we like. If not, we'll be looking elsewhere. :confused3

I DID contact my TA and she said the sailings are not suspended, but that they are not taking any new reservations. Have no idea what that means, but I guess we have to wait to be contacted.

And I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT 100% about what a crappy customer service DCL has had this whole year with customer contact, clear information, up-to-date news, etc.!

My TA said they were being cancelled so we moved our ressie from the Aug 10 to the July 20. I sure HOPE they're not just jerking us around. We'd prefer the August date but since we're booked in a SPH cabin we didn't want to mess around & lose it just 'cuz we were being indecisive. There is no charge to MOVE it (ie you can always move it BACK again). If the cabin # is that important to you (as it was to us) then you may want to consider the July 9 one. Just a thought...

Well, this would stink! My TA said they have heard nothing -- and no phone calls to their clients. I called DCL and the CW said she has not heard of any changes or of people being called (of course, she wouldn't be privy to that since it's a different department). So much confusion -- I'm just waiting to hear. We planned our whole Disney Dream reservation around the fact that we were flying to Barcelona on July 25th -- so that the dates would give us at least 6 weeks in between (plus we have to wait until my daughter's college classes are over in May). Crap -- this would screw up our whole 2011 plans.

Oh well -- might be the kick in the butt we need to finally plan that Japan trip! ;)

If you pull up the sail dates for both the 11-night and 10-night Med Cruises on the Disney site, it is still showing all the dates in July and August as being sail dates!

Maybe certain cruises are overbooked and they are asking people to move their reservations? :confused3

My TA is a Disney Cruise specialist and been in business many many years. They have not heard anything. However, I am on hold with her while she checks with Disney because she nor her company have heard anything!

UPDATE UPDATE ~~ OKAY Y'ALL -- STOP JUMPING SHIP!!!!! You may be the very people who cause these cruises to actually be cancelled or changed. ;):rotfl:

The latest is DISNEY HAS NOT CANCELLED ANYTHING -- NADA -- NOTHING. They are THINKING about it and stepping back to weigh their options. They are letting people know THIS IS A CONSIDERATION and those people have the option to change or wait it out. However, the more people that cancel the cruises on 7/30 and in August, the more likely Disney will see the ship emptying out and DEFINITELY take action.

We are going to wait it out -- they may still sail that itinerary and I am not one to jump to worried hysteria. Since my very trusted TA has not heard anything and Disney has told her they are not making ANYTHING final, I would wait to jump to a decision.

That's just my personal opinion -- but so far nothing is finalized so be aware you may be changing plans for nothing -- or you may like the changes to the itineraries :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter