DDA Chapter 11

Guess what I got today?! Really, guess!

A box!
001-2.jpg

Well, I was wrong about Ike, I didn't think we would feel the effects. But we are now under a Tropical Storm warning, we already have some local flooding and we've had a couple of feeder bands pass through the area.

Stay safe Debbie :hug:

:yay: I was able to book the Wanyama Safari for our arrival day so I don't even need to add on a night. There is my Christmas present to Bob taken care of. Let's hope the two of us can stand eating at Jiko twice that week; we are taking the girls there for Christmas Dinner.

Oh the sacrifices one must make :lmao:

That is fantastic news Elin

This is what a recorder looks like, Heidi! It is the perfect beginning instrument for a child.

RECORDER.jpg

Of course those are the high end models and produce a sound that you will never get out of the plastic things the elementary schools use.

My mother taught me how to play the soprano, alto and tenor recorders. Due to my father's Shakespearean theater, my mom, sister, aunts and cousins and I were all pressed into service to play Renaissance music during the performances. In my childhood I learned to play instruments no one else ever knew existed! I learned to play the harpsichord, crumhorns, and was started on the sackbut, but then they hired professional musicians. I still have all my recorders, though!

Well, I was wrong about Ike, I didn't think we would feel the effects. But we are now under a Tropical Storm warning, we already have some local flooding and we've had a couple of feeder bands pass through the area.

Stay safe, Debbie!
They still can't decide if we are going to be swept away or not. :confused3

Chanon - Nice box! :thumbsup2

Back to music in schools... I have a nagging question. Do you all buy a stringed instrument, then a woodwind/brass, AND a recorder?! ;) I can't understand that. Or do they share the stringed instruments (which makes sense) and you buy your own instrument that gets mouthed.... or just buy a mouthpiece maybe? It seems absurd if you would have to purchase instruments your child wasn't interested in, for one year! How do the schools handle this? :confused3

That being said, depending on the burden on the parents, I love that they get the basics of a couple different instruments while they're young, and can still have plenty of time to decide if one is right for them! When we got to middle school, you chose either choir or band. There weren't enough periods for both (which obviously continues worse into high school!), so you made a decision then. If my parents wouldn't have "made me" take piano for so long, the only instrument I might have ever played would be the recorder! Of course, since then I have dabbled with the flute and the guitar.... but only because I love music. Had I not, I personally feel like I would really be missing out on an important set of skills that come from playing an instrument other than the recorder! ;)

Even if kids don't grow up interested at all, it's neat that they have some experience playing and, I presume, reading music! :love:

In my case, my parents purchased a 3/4 size violin for my sister and myself when we were in grade school. Now that we have kids, they use it. Our kids are stair steps, so it works really well. Katie has it now. When she outgrows it, we'll discuss if she wants to continue with a stringed instrument. If she does, we'll invest in a violin for her. As for band instruments, I'm not sure how it works, since we're strictly a string family here!

At that time I was the Chairwoman of the school board....and a decision had to be made as to whether we should continue the school day since we are fairly close to the city of Chicago and did not know the magnitude of the situation. The teacher's aids watched the student's while the faculty, principal & school board met to make a decision...and I will never forget being in this room where every single adult was weeping. It was the most emotional moment to this day I have ever felt.

I was working at a call center and while people were calling in, they were giving us bits and pieces of what was happening. I really didn't see any television until I got home. Then all I could do was cry.

That Saturday my oldest son was getting married so a few very important people were not able to make it in for the wedding and that was so very frustrating. I cried all week. Thank goodness Stephanie was there for me. The following weekend, Hal and I went down to WV and it was so strange to see no planes in the sky.

Well said. Even though it touched my life on the fringes I tend to forget to remember. And if that can happen here in the DC area where so many of us knew victims or their families, imagine how far away it is to many other Americans.

I live probably the furthest away from NYC, but I can tell you it touched me at the time, and continues to do so today! I have so many friends that live in the city (actors, techies, and other theater people). It was a terrifying time for us, too, waiting to hear reports, and find out what happened. I think it's good to look back and remember. Otherwise, we are doomed to have it happen again!

I was pregnant with the twins when it happened. I remember pulling up to my sister's house to carpool to preschool, when my niece came bursting out the front door and told me that NYC was on fire! We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV, trying to find out any little bit of information we could get.

Elin congratulations on the safari :cool1:

Theresa congratulations & good luck with the essay :wizard:

Those of you that have dishwashers, what type/model do you have, does it have all the bells & whistles or just the basics & most important does it clean well? I do not need anything fancy, just one that works well.

Our first one was a Kitchenaid and I loved it. Now we have a Maytag but really need to get one we can build in because this one is portable.

Cool post count 4321

I average 2 resumes out a day, mostly to "company confidential" places. Well I got this email this morning:

Hello,

Congratulations, your resume has been selected in the top 5 over 200
resumes received. Before we set up an interview our staff will like to
see how creative your writing skills are.

Instructions:
Please write a 500 word essay summarizing this topic "Colorado Vacation Homes Attract Winter Sports Enthusiasts"
* Research well on the net, books or personal experiences (please no
sources needed to be cited if you sum it up in your own words).
* Summarize in your own words 3 to 5 paragraphs.
* Please only use the topic in your sentence structure for every 100 words.
-(so it will only show up 5 times for every 100 words)-
* Make it interesting, be creative and think outside-the-box
* Please do not plagiarize your work this will only get you
blacklisted in this field.
* Please check your spelling or grammatical errors.
* Please have this done in 3-4 business days.

Thank you and good luck!
Denver Metro Convention and Visitors Bureau
Human Resources

I would have never even thought to apply to the Visitors Bureau....I am so stoked to write this essay, even if it's not a subject I know much about. :love:

This sounds great, Theresa! Good luck with the essay! I just know you'll do great! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I have had a wonderfully lazy day today! I didn't have anywhere to go or anything to do outside of the house, so I stayed put today. After I got the kids off to school, I spent a half an hour cleaning off the treadmill in our bedroom so we can fold it up and set up the cradle by the bed. Then I took a nice long shower. It felt so good! I even shaved my legs, and since my bender isn't working too well these days, that took a while!

At about 11:00, my SIL called to have me come rescue her. She'd locked her keys in the van and needed a ride home from the store. Once that was done, I came home, fixed myself some lunch and then just relaxed on the couch with my book and some music. Nice!!!

I love days like these!!! Tonight I get to go to book group to discuss "The Maltese Falcon." It was a fun book to read. I can't wait to read next month's which is "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer. I just love book group. It's one of the few things I do just for me! Alan doesn't schedule anything to interfere with my book group, because he knows how unhappy I'd be!!!

Now, I'm off to finish dinner. I'm making Lemonade chicken in the crockpot. I need to thicken the juices for some gravy, and make some noodles to serve it over. Once that's done, I'll have Katie pick some tomatoes from our garden and we'll have a tomato/cucumber salad to go with it!

Hope you all are doing ok today!

Emma came home with lots of thoughts, questions and info on 9/11. She was just under 2 when it happened so it's interesting to see her gain a little bit better perspective these past few years.
I beat the school to the punch. They advertised Patriot Day in school and told the kids to wear red, white and blue. So while he was getting ready this morning I asked him if he knew why it was Patriot Day or why they wanted the kids to wear the colors. He said no, of course, and I asked his if he had ever heard of 9-11. No again. I made it real simple in the fact that their were people from other countries that didn't like Americans and because of that they flew airplanes into building in NY, in DC (not really but it was easier) and into the ground in PA, causing thousands of people to die. Then I said that we wear our colors to show that we are proud to be Americans and to remember those that died. He seemed satisfied with it. I just didn't want him hearing things from other kids and not understand, so that was my 8 yr old version of facts.

Stay safe, Debbie.

So my parents are now wavering on whether or not they are going with us to WDW in December. I know it's miniscule to some issues, but please send some pd that they will go with. I was talking to my dad this afternoon and he said Eh, we'll go some other time. My response: you don't know how many other times you have left!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter