• Controversial Topics on DISboards.com. Several months ago I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in opt-out. Click Here

DDA Chapter 27

Elin,
Glad to hear Bob was moved out of ICU!!!! Hope he continues to improve. Yes, I would ask the nurse to tell him about eating because he must think he can eat soon. :hug::hug::hug::hug:

Stay warm & safe everyone who is dealing with snow. We are not in it's path thank heavens, just expecting rain. I called my mom in NY & told her to make sure she had her bread & milk though. She is already prepared. :thumbsup2

Have a good day.

Only 47 more days till SPRING!!!!:yay:

Elin good news about Bob being moved. Continued good thoughts for all :goodvibes

Bernadette sorry about the problems at work, does not make for a very happy enviroment.

Deb & Anne Marie how is the job search going? I had a interview at the hospital for switchboard operator & I was offered the job. Sadly though I am not accepting it, the hours are for overnights. I know I really should not be picky, but I do not think I can deal with those hours. If there was a chance to get different hours down the road, I might have taken it.

Be safe all that will have to deal with this new storm going through!

Hi, everyone! We got home late Sunday night, and I spent all day yesterday catching up with work around the house.

Elin - Glad that Bob has been moved out of ICU. Does this mean he can have his ereader, Ipad, etc.? That would help with the boredom, right? I'm praying that the nurses/doctors will speak honestly to him about the food issue. He's not stupid, and I don't understand why they are treating him this way!

Deb, Anne Marie, Janet, Bernadette - Sorry the work situations are yucky! I'll pray that things get better for you, Bernadette, and that Deb, Janet and Anne Marie can all find jobs soon!

To all of you in the path of these winter storms: BE SAFE!!! I'd offer you a warm place to stay here in Utah, but our high today will maybe hit 20. Tomorrow our high will be in the single digits. It's COLD!!! I think I'm going to do some heavy duty baking to keep my house a little warmer!

Dad's party was wonderful! I took some pictures, and as soon as I can find my card reader, I'll post them. He looked wonderful, and was honestly touched that so many people came to see him. There were people there from all over Utah, Nevada, Arizona and California! Most had made the trip just for the party! The food was wonderful, and the hall looked great! My sister and I decorated with pictures of him throughout the decades, and included some of his favorite things. Alan put together a video of slides and film clips through the decades, and that ended up being the hit of the day! People would get a plate of food and just sit and watch it over and over! I have to admit that it made me teary just to watch it!

On the way home on Sunday, Alan asked if I wanted to seriously train for the WDW half in 2012. I told him I was deadly serious! My niece and I really want to run it, and my dad told us he would go with us to cheer us on. So, I'm back on track for training. Alan signed us up for several 5K's in the spring and early summer, and then in August, we've joined a team of 6 that will relay for about 60 miles from the University of Utah to BYU. All of that is giving me the motivation that I need. It's sad how out of shape I've gotten since my pregnancy with Timothy. I just needed to get motivated. Since it's really cold out, I've been walking/jogging on my treadmill in the mornings when the kids leave for school. I'm not as fast as I need/want to be, but it's coming!

I think that I can count on one hand the number of jars of baby food I bought for the three kids (and almost all of them were for my first). They all pretty much were fed what we were eating.

Jennifer - I made almost all the food that Kristin ate. With microwaves and good quality meats and produce available it is so easy to do!

thanks

okay these darn sick germs need to leave my house. Jeff was home from work last week 2 days with general malaise, headache and cough. He never ran a fever. Fri. Olivia wakes up with fever, sore throat, cough, headache and runny nose. Also vomiting just Fri. Virginia just has cough. I get hit with it Sat. night. Cough headache, runny nose and fever. The babies are just a little snorty but wanting to nurse constant. I hope they dont get any other symptoms.
Hope you're all feeling better!

Bernadette,
:wizard: for all the stress you are getting at work. In this economy they know people are not able to get jobs easily & so they think they can treat employees like this now. Shameful. :sad2:
Yes-shameful is a good word for it!

so considering making home made baby food for the twins.
Sounds like a great idea. I never tried it but had read about it. I had read if you make extra to freeze them in an ice cube tray-seemed like a great idea.

Good morning, DDA! I hope that everyone stays safe today. My kids are thrilled to have a snow day, but I'm actually getting a little tired of them myself. I love having the kids home, but I am ready to move on to spring. Plus, this is the second snow day we've had for my preschool class, and I really do miss going in. As much as I sometimes think that I need to move on to another job and as much as the "administration" of the school drives me nuts, I really do love going in and teaching the three-year olds.

We have started the bathroom remodel. By we I mean the guys that we wrote a check to. It's just too much for us to do right now both in terms of time and in terms of what we are actually comfortable doing. Yesterday they started demolition, since we are going completely down to the studs in there. As far as I know, they are still planning to come in today to finish ripping everything out. Tomorrow the plumber is scheduled to come in, and the electrician is scheduled for Thursday. We don't have GFIs in the bathrooms, since they were built almost 47 years ago. The electrician is also recommending an update to the circuit breaker boxes which we'll also probably do.

Bernadette, I am sorry that your work environment is so bad right now. I am so tired of "in this economy" being used to justify so many things. I am also sorry to hear about your co-worker's wife. That is so sad.
Our kids have had at least 3 full snow days already. They had an early release today and chances are good they they will have another tomorrow. We know Emma will as they already called it off due to too much snow on the roof.

It snowed all day here today. Driving home wasn't fun-getting out of the poorly plowed lot at work wasn't fun. They have announced a 10am start for tomorrow or a call at 8am if they close or delay longer-better than the usual 6am but we'll probably get a 5:30am school call anyways.

Since I taught a great majority of the day yesterday Kristin and I told the ICU staff that we would stop in at 9:00 p.m. just to tell Bob good night and see how his day went. By the way, in case you didn't know.... the new law states that anyone, at any time, can enter any area of the hospital that is not restricted due to sanitary reasons (not the term I want to use but my brain is mush these days!) but I have been observing the old ICU hours of visitation from 8-8. There was a darned good reason for those hours and just because some lawmaker in DC decided to tack on a ridiculously wordy, un-necessarily broad amendment to the health care bill I am not going to second guess the hospital staff! Anyway....

Because we went in so late we discovered that Bob was being moved out of ICU. In fact, we got to help move him. Who ever thought that moving patients at 10:30 p.m. was good for anyone involved?!?!? I can understand surgeries late at night due to OR availability and surgeon and staff schedules, but moving?? His bed in ICU was not needed and the one on the 4th floor was standing empty too. He was exhausted from all the hubbub surrounding the move and the PT that he received on Monday. By the time they got him moved and explained the new monitoring system that he has to help with he was in a nasty mood and let everyone anywhere near him know it. Kristin and I left after we knew he was situated and I got home about 11:15.

There is no change in his breathing and he did not pass the swallow test yesterday. That is not a surprise to me because he has a trach in there! I wish the Speech Therapist would hold off a few days until they can stabilize his secretions and put the speaking tube into the trach. That would allow him to close it off and swallow more normally. Right now he is trying to swallow past a balloon. :rolleyes: He is disheartened because every day he thinks he will pass the test and begin to eat. I am at the point of saying I just want them to tell him what I was told last Friday: He probably won't be able to eat solid food for months. Getting his hopes dashed every day is taking its toll. If I see her today I may discuss that with her.

Now that I have gone on and on, I do have to say that being out of ICU is certainly a step in the right direction. We are praying that he can continue to improve and stay there. The last place we want to see him go is back to ICU!

Again, my friends... thanks for letting me ramble my thoughts here. I know you all keep saying that's what you are here for, but sometimes I feel like I am monopolizing the thread.

I hope everyone in the path of our next gift from Mother Nature will stay safe. I think our immediate area will miss the majority of this monster storm, but most of you are going to have to deal with it. :hug:
Elin-thank you for taking the time to update us. I really do want to hear how things are going. Poor Bob. I can imagine he's frustrated with the slow progress.:hug: Yeah for getting out of ICU.:woohoo:

I can't wait for March!
I can't wait for May!:laughing:

What are you AKV plans for this summer? Are you doing CL again? Jambo or Kidani? I don't know if we'll do WDW this summer or not. If we do go I am not sure if I want to do BWI CL or a 1BR at Kidani.

Only 47 more days till SPRING!!!!:yay:
What a great thought!

Bernadette sorry about the problems at work, does not make for a very happy enviroment.

Deb & Anne Marie how is the job search going? I had a interview at the hospital for switchboard operator & I was offered the job. Sadly though I am not accepting it, the hours are for overnights. I know I really should not be picky, but I do not think I can deal with those hours. If there was a chance to get different hours down the road, I might have taken it.

Be safe all that will have to deal with this new storm going through!
Thanks.:hug:

Sorry the job didn't work out but it must feel good to have an offer.

Deb, Anne Marie, Janet, Bernadette - Sorry the work situations are yucky! I'll pray that things get better for you, Bernadette, and that Deb, Janet and Anne Marie can all find jobs soon!

Dad's party was wonderful! I took some pictures, and as soon as I can find my card reader, I'll post them. He looked wonderful, and was honestly touched that so many people came to see him. There were people there from all over Utah, Nevada, Arizona and California! Most had made the trip just for the party! The food was wonderful, and the hall looked great! My sister and I decorated with pictures of him throughout the decades, and included some of his favorite things. Alan put together a video of slides and film clips through the decades, and that ended up being the hit of the day! People would get a plate of food and just sit and watch it over and over! I have to admit that it made me teary just to watch it!

On the way home on Sunday, Alan asked if I wanted to seriously train for the WDW half in 2012. I told him I was deadly serious! My niece and I really want to run it, and my dad told us he would go with us to cheer us on. So, I'm back on track for training. Alan signed us up for several 5K's in the spring and early summer, and then in August, we've joined a team of 6 that will relay for about 60 miles from the University of Utah to BYU. All of that is giving me the motivation that I need. It's sad how out of shape I've gotten since my pregnancy with Timothy. I just needed to get motivated. Since it's really cold out, I've been walking/jogging on my treadmill in the mornings when the kids leave for school. I'm not as fast as I need/want to be, but it's coming!
Thanks for your prayers.:hug:

Your Dad's party and video sound great!

:woohoo:Yeah for the WDW 1/2. I hope I'm there too. I'll be walking though. Did I tell you about the T-shirt I want to buy? "13.1 'cause I'm only 1/2 crazy":rotfl:

Hope you're all feeling better!

Sounds like a great idea. I never tried it but had read about it. I had read if you make extra to freeze them in an ice cube tray-seemed like a great idea.

:woohoo:Yeah for the WDW 1/2. I hope I'm there too. I'll be walking though. Did I tell you about the T-shirt I want to buy? "13.1 'cause I'm only 1/2 crazy":rotfl:

thanks mine is mostly allergies now. Olivia and Virginia still have cough which I think might be allergies as well. I read about freezing them as well. They even sell things at babies r us to freeze it in. Love the shirt

I am glad to read so much about your weekend and marathon training, Glynis. Good for you!

Bob will be moved to an extended acute care facility as early as tomorrow. It is in Richmond, which is an hour away from us. It is part of the Kindred Hospitals family and comes highly recommended. It is still hard to deal with even knowing it is the best place for him to go to begin his long road to recovery.

What are you AKV plans for this summer? Are you doing CL again? Jambo or Kidani? I don't know if we'll do WDW this summer or not. If we do go I am not sure if I want to do BWI CL or a 1BR at Kidani.
We are going to go in August, the 21-26, two nights at Jambo with a savannah view, then up to CL. I'm wait-listed for the first two nights so we'll see what happens. I was wanting to do something different this summer, but with the cruise next spring I need to do something relatively inexpensive. With DVC, WDW is inexpensive for us. I offered the kids the beach or WDW, and they both want WDW.

Hi, no news on the job front here. Hanging in there. Everyone who is dealing with snow & ice today, I hope you stay home & keep warm. :)

Have a great day DDA.

I applied for a different job within my company as did everyone else in my dept. Unfortunately we just found out that the hours are 8 - 5 and 11 - 8 with alternating schedule. I can't do evenings as I already work evenings and have the lacrosse program. That one is no longer an option. So now I keep looking.

Bernadette - I love the shirt idea!!! Clever!!!

What an icky day! To look out the window, you would think it was spring! We have sun, blue sky and no snow. However, just put your little nose out the door, and you realize how cold it is. We are hovering at about 9 degrees right now. That's better than the -10 degrees when I sent the kids off to catch the bus, but still cold!

We are staying put until this cold spell is over!

After speaking to the nursing and support staff for 48 hours about what Kristin and I perceived as a decline in Bob's condition, I fought for him last night at the hospital and they called in an MSET nurse to re-evaluate him. His blood gas levels were lower than they had been 4 days ago so the decision was made to put him back on the ventilator because of what was found. In some ways this is good since that means they now know I am a squeaky wheel and am not going to let them move him when we think there are still medical issues that need to be addressed. In other ways it is not good because it means he has to be back on the ventilator. They did not move him back into ICU last night, though. Hopefully that is because it was not deemed necessary.

Good for you for being Bob's voice. He certainly needs an advocate now. Keep pushing for everything he needs. :wizard::hug:

After speaking to the nursing and support staff for 48 hours about what Kristin and I perceived as a decline in Bob's condition, I fought for him last night at the hospital and they called in an MSET nurse to re-evaluate him. His blood gas levels were lower than they had been 4 days ago so the decision was made to put him back on the ventilator because of what was found. In some ways this is good since that means they now know I am a squeaky wheel and am not going to let them move him when we think there are still medical issues that need to be addressed. In other ways it is not good because it means he has to be back on the ventilator. They did not move him back into ICU last night, though. Hopefully that is because it was not deemed necessary.

Hi there!

I rarely get over here. I'm so busy with FaceBook and running around trying to see my friends and hug them close.

Central PA will probably not get another flake of snow this season. My snowblower had a flat and the tire had come off the rim. Anyway, my son came up and fixed it. So now that I have 3 shovels, ice pick, salt, a 5.5 hp duel stage snowblower and a full tank of gas AND the groundhog didn't see his shadow, spring is on the way. Woo.:woohoo:

I am going to do the 5K next year. I'm also going to train for the 1/2. The 37 year old mother of three that I walked in honor of this year has died. She lasted until we made it home from Disney. Deb Wills (allears.net) gave her a medal like the rest of the team received. Her husband put it on her casket. The service is tomorrow. Did I mention she's the same age as my daughter?

Another friend had the police come to her house this morning to inform her that her sister had died. She had a cold, and went to the doctor. He told her to go home and get some rest. She never woke up. And so it goes.

On a MUCH brighter note, my Dad turned 95 on Sunday. Woo:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I'm also going to Disney in December over Christmas again. December 25th thru 31st. But now I've decided I'm sending the family home and I'm going to stay until after the marathon. Yay!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

So I will probably see Tammi, but I will miss Vicki. But then Vicki will be down again in January!! I'm psyched!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Off to bed. I have to go into work early and rehook up the computers before I go to the service. My office now has new carpet!! :love:

Hello, all! Not too much happening around here. The bathroom is progressing but nothing exciting yet. The electrician was here all day yesterday. Today they put insulation back in the ceiling (very nice to have in this weather) and laid subflooring. He is picking our tub up on his way home and will have it with him Monday morning. I picked up the vanity yesterday, and it's in my living room. The tub surround and vanity top with sink are here, too. I can't wait until the bathroom starts to look like a bathroom again!

Hi there!

I rarely get over here. I'm so busy with FaceBook and running around trying to see my friends and hug them close.

Central PA will probably not get another flake of snow this season. My snowblower had a flat and the tire had come off the rim. Anyway, my son came up and fixed it. So now that I have 3 shovels, ice pick, salt, a 5.5 hp duel stage snowblower and a full tank of gas AND the groundhog didn't see his shadow, spring is on the way. Woo.:woohoo:

I am going to do the 5K next year. I'm also going to train for the 1/2. The 37 year old mother of three that I walked in honor of this year has died. She lasted until we made it home from Disney. Deb Wills (allears.net) gave her a medal like the rest of the team received. Her husband put it on her casket. The service is tomorrow. Did I mention she's the same age as my daughter?

Another friend had the police come to her house this morning to inform her that her sister had died. She had a cold, and went to the doctor. He told her to go home and get some rest. She never woke up. And so it goes.

On a MUCH brighter note, my Dad turned 95 on Sunday. Woo:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I'm also going to Disney in December over Christmas again. December 25th thru 31st. But now I've decided I'm sending the family home and I'm going to stay until after the marathon. Yay!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

So I will probably see Tammi, but I will miss Vicki. But then Vicki will be down again in January!! I'm psyched!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Off to bed. I have to go into work early and rehook up the computers before I go to the service. My office now has new carpet!! :love:

Yes, I will be there for the 5k, the half and the full in January. I plan on running the full but want to run the 5k and watch the half. I'll cheer you on for the 1/2!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. So sad.

Good morning, DDA! :)

Nothing really different to report... on and off the vent on a set schedule. Physical Therapy, Occupation Therapy, Respiratory Therapy. Waiting to hear from the insurance company (we are Blue Cross/Blue Shield Texas and their offices have been closed for some "strange" reason.... :rolleyes: )

Hope you all are okay dealing with all that winter weather!

A very quick update for this morning. I spent the entire day with Bob yesterday! He was on the vent all day, after having been on and off the day before (a planned schedule) and he was much stronger and able to talk through his trach a bit. We read and watched some TV and he was generally in better spirits than he has been for a few days. We are going to watch at least part of the Super Bowl together tonight, but I will be with him for a few hours this morning and afternoon first.

We are still waiting on insurance approval for the move to the hospital in Richmond. Then we will begin the next step in his recovery. Keep thinking of us. The good thoughts and prayers are much appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter